Menu

Books you wish you would have read to the kids, but they are now too old for...

Why didn't I read Winnie the Pooh to my kids?? :sad:

We've read (and they've read on their own) a lot of books. I know you can't hit them all... :001_smile:

But, as the kids get older so does that little sad voice in my head "Wah, they never took to horse themed books" or "Wah, I never read them the nursery rhyme book that I grew up with".

My youngest just turned ten and I'm looking through our books wondering if I can just squeeze in some of these younger titles.

So, I'm curious

Have you come to realize that the kids somehow missed some goodies? Which books passed you by?

Last year I got the girls to read the My Fathers Dragon and Catwings series. :tongue_smilie: They humored me!

Why didn't I read Winnie the Pooh to my kids?? :sad:

W the P has a lot about human nature in it, and I find it worthwhile read in grown ups. Ditto the Little Prince. My Father's Dragon, however, needs a magical window, and HOW I loved reading it with my father, when I was 7. Same with The Light Princess.

W the P has a lot about human nature in it, and I find it worthwhile read in grown ups. Ditto the Little Prince. My Father's Dragon, however, needs a magical window, and HOW I loved reading it with my father, when I was 7. Same with The Light Princess.

The Light Princess?? What's that? Off to Amazon! :auto:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be reading aloud to Little Librarian when she's 18 just because I love all the stories out there for children and want to be able to share them with her. The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorites and I read that to myself at least once a year. I'd throw Winnie the Pooh in the car the next time you are going somewhere and let them read it.

I read Stuart Little to ds last spring and felt the same way. E.B. White had a way with words. My reading it started out as a writing/narration exercise. I desperately needed to shorter easier book and most of our things were still in storage. It worked out great. I may have to sneak a few more in that way, as a writing exercise. ;)

Books ds has never read and I've never read to him (me reading to him is his favorite thing):

Charlotte's Web (I hate spiders and I knew he'd tease me incessantly. May have to dig it out now)

Little House on the Prairie (We read Caddie Woodlawn instead. I meant to have him read it, we just never got there.)

My dd is in college and took Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner with her! She also has them both as mp3 so she can listen to them. She had them on tape from the time she was about 4 yo and could probably quote them if she tried. But the point is, she is in college and thought they were essential to take with her.

Just read them aloud to your dc. You are never too old for Winnie the Pooh.

I've been thinking about what books I need to 'cram in' before it gets to be too late. Winnie the Pooh is definitely one that we need to read.

We've read a few Roald Dahl books which were stupendously fun at this age (7-8 yrs old) and I got the Secret Garden read to him this summer as well. I was pleasantly surprised that he enjoyed it as much as he did - since he tends to lean towards fantasy and lots of adventure.

We just started our new family read which we COULD have waited on, but he really wants to read it NOW so we are going with it. I think we're going to start Charlotte's Web in a couple weeks and I'll have to see what else I can dig up. :) Watching this thread with interest! :)

ETA: I'm really sad that I didn't get in more picture books. It's hard to get him to sit for them now!

I just squeezed in a few that were on the edge for my second grader. He still prefers that I read him picture books rather than chapter books. So in a way that buys us time. (Though I was looking forward to reading "All of a Kind Family" to him and he ran away screaming - he doesn't want any chapter book that isn't Harry Potter, I guess!).

Our just barely made it books:

"Caps for Sale"

Todd Parr books

"Chrysanthemum"

"I'm Gonna Like Me"

"Blueberries for Sal"

What I wish I would have read earlier:

more fairy tales / folktales - I know even adults can enjoy these, but ds isn't really interested at least for the moment. I think he would have been more interested a couple years ago.

Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel - this would have been perfect for ds's heavy machinery stage in preschool, but I didn't know about the book back then.

The Runaway Bunny - I've never read this one, but it seems like a classic.

The Little Engine that Could

Peter Rabbit / more Beatrix Potter (going to try this one anyway, but not sure how ds will react)

Pulling out Winnie the Pooh and Paddington right now. We'll see how it goes!

Agreeing that it's never too late for Winnie-the-Pooh. My boys, especially my 3yo, are absolutely obsessed with Winnie-the-Pooh, and the audiotapes of Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner (the ones by Judi Dench et al) are in constant rotation. They reenact scenes from the books all the livelong day - -most notably, the scene from The House at Pooh Corner in which Pooh (played by my 6yo) falls on top of Piglet (the 3yo). All done with pitch-perfect English accents, thanks to the tapes. It is hilarious.

While I confess that I sometimes beg them to change the CD to something, anything else, just because I can't take it any more, I have to agree that the books and characters themselves are just wonderful, for any age.

I just finished reading Winnie the Pooh with my 5 yo. My 13 yo ds was in the room doing his other schoolwork as we read a chapter each day. He enjoyed it as much as my 5 yo. Every so often he would laugh out loud. :) I agree. You are never too old for Winnie the Pooh!

This guy read aloud to his daughter until her first day of college, which makes me think it's never too late!

This is my plan. :)

OK, maybe not quite that dedicated.

We have 'family reading time' in our house. My husband and I take turns reading and our son cuddles up and listens. It's so wonderful to know that we've shared these books together as a family!

I committed the cardinal sin of homeschooling, I believe, by not reading the Little House books to my girls. They just never took to them. :( My kids are older now, but I'm considering reading them aloud anyhow this winter. LOL (Partly because of this thread reminding me!)

It makes me so sad when new books come out that are too young for us. (I still have a 5 and 10yo, but we can't fit them all in and some are more for girls. *sigh*)

:iagree: about Winnie the Pooh! We have the Peter Dennis Audiobooks, and the big collection on our bookshelf. My 8yo loved Pooh at 3&4yo...he thinks it's all hilarious now. One day, he just literally busted a gut laughing at the "I can't remember if twice 7 is 12 or 22." and from then on, he's been catching those things as we listen.

*I* enjoy these too. They are calming for mommies...they give perspective when you need it.;)

I've read most of these already. I'm :bigear: for books to read especially before age 10yo. I know I'm missing some good ones.

I committed the cardinal sin of homeschooling, I believe, by not reading the Little House books to my girls. They just never took to them. :( My kids are older now, but I'm considering reading them aloud anyhow this winter. LOL (Partly because of this thread reminding me!)

It makes me so sad when new books come out that are too young for us. (I still have a 5 and 10yo, but we can't fit them all in and some are more for girls. *sigh*)

Us Too!! I read the first one and they didn't care for it.

I also have been thinking about reading them in the winter... Maybe as a fireplace cozy read aloud?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be reading aloud to Little Librarian when she's 18 just because I love all the stories out there for children and want to be able to share them with her. The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorites and I read that to myself at least once a year. I'd throw Winnie the Pooh in the car the next time you are going somewhere and let them read it.

How old were you when you read The Secret Garden? It's part of our curricula to read this year, and dh is reading it out loud at bedtime. The girls aren't that into it yet. Do you think 7 (almost 8) is too young? Maybe 3rd grade instead? She enjoyed Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, another 2nd grade book to read this year, but not this one. How about A Little Princess? It's next in line.

How old were you when you read The Secret Garden? It's part of our curricula to read this year, and dh is reading it out loud at bedtime. The girls aren't that into it yet. Do you think 7 (almost 8) is too young? Maybe 3rd grade instead? She enjoyed Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, another 2nd grade book to read this year, but not this one. How about A Little Princess? It's next in line.

Sophia is seven and enjoys it but she first listened to it as an audiobook before I read it so that probably helped a lot. I'm no professional reader. I mess up words. Lose my place. All kinds of poor reading techniques. :001_smile: How far into the book are you? I'd give it until at least you meet Colin before you give up if it hasn't been a hit yet.

I've never read A Little Princess but we've listened to it as an audiobook and it's well loved around here.

I just squeezed in a few that were on the edge for my second grader. He still prefers that I read him picture books rather than chapter books. So in a way that buys us time. (Though I was looking forward to reading "All of a Kind Family" to him and he ran away screaming - he doesn't want any chapter book that isn't Harry Potter, I guess!).

Our just barely made it books:

"Caps for Sale"

Todd Parr books

"Chrysanthemum"

"I'm Gonna Like Me"

"Blueberries for Sal"

What I wish I would have read earlier:

more fairy tales / folktales - I know even adults can enjoy these, but ds isn't really interested at least for the moment. I think he would have been more interested a couple years ago.

Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel - this would have been perfect for ds's heavy machinery stage in preschool, but I didn't know about the book back then.

The Runaway Bunny - I've never read this one, but it seems like a classic.

The Little Engine that Could

Peter Rabbit / more Beatrix Potter (going to try this one anyway, but not sure how ds will react)

Pulling out Winnie the Pooh and Paddington right now. We'll see how it goes!

I still have to read picture books each night before we get to the chapter book we are reading, and my 7 yr. old frequently picks out the Beatrix Potter books from the library for me to read to them. It's not too late. I'd still read Mike Mulligan, The Runaway Bunny and The Little Engine That Could if I were you. I've read all of them to my boys and not necessarily that long ago.

Sophia is seven and enjoys it but she first listened to it as an audiobook before I read it so that probably helped a lot. I'm no professional reader. I mess up words. Lose my place. All kinds of poor reading techniques. :001_smile: How far into the book are you? I'd give it until at least you meet Colin before you give up if it hasn't been a hit yet.

I've never read A Little Princess but we've listened to it as an audiobook and it's well loved around here.

No, we haven't met Colin yet. Thank you so much! Daddy is reading the second book of Peter And The Starcatchers (Shadow Thieves) right now. I am so excited you encouraged us to hang in there. We will keep going until after Colin at least! :)