Menu

Calling all cosmetic girls...I need a good foundation!!!

What is your favorite makeup foundation? I am in my 40's but have been blessed with relatively good skin...somewhat on the oily side. I hate to buy foundation at Wa-Mart/drugstore places because I can never get the right shade. Where do you buy your makeup and what do you like? I have ordered form Sephora but honestly you have to make an educated guess on shade on mail order as well. thanks

I have really enjoyed Mineral foundation. I use Mary Kay. I was not blessed with good skin, and would never have imagined this would be an option for me. But, so far, it has worked beautifully. So easy, so natural. I love it!

I LOVE my Mary Kay foundation. I like the regular, liquid foundation - I use Medium Coverage which has oil control properties - and I love the new mineral foundation too. I use that as powder because I really, really love my liquid foundation. Also, they just came out with mineral pressed powder that is supposed to control oil for up to 8 hours - good news for me, since some days I think we could solve the national oil crisis if we could figure out how to harness the grease from my face. :D (Well, not so much now, but when I was pregnant last year - OI.) I have oily, freckle-y skin and have used MK for years and LOVE it.

This is the only makeup I really enjoy wearing. Not heavy or greasy, doesn't leave that horrific "line" on your chin, comes in a wide range of colors and has good coverage.

The only problem? I'm hooked. Honestly, I can't go into Ulta now w/o buying the latest, greatest Bare Minerals stuff (eyeshadows, combo kits, etc.) I can't.stop.myself. It's killin' my budget :eek:

Clinique is good also. My mom used it for years until I converted her to Bare Minerals. Now she's a believer too. :D

What is your favorite makeup foundation? I am in my 40's but have been blessed with relatively good skin...somewhat on the oily side. I hate to buy foundation at Wa-Mart/drugstore places because I can never get the right shade. Where do you buy your makeup and what do you like? I have ordered form Sephora but honestly you have to make an educated guess on shade on mail order as well. thanks

This is WONDERFUL foundation. Get it when Este Lauder has a promotion of free stuff going on at a department store (Belk, Dillard, etc).

I finally found my correct shade, even though I don't always wear it. (I always *should*, but I don't always *do*.)

and I recommend mineral makeup as well - it's so much easier and faster to apply than regular foundation. It's applied like a powder. Dd and I have a favorite - it's Everyday Minerals at https://www.everydayminerals.com/index.php?&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=32 .

I find I like EDM as well as more expensive mineral brands - their prices are reasonable, the full size pots last a good while, they have a couple of different formulas for different skin types, they have a sampler you can get to try their shades before purchasing the full-size product, and they have a LOT of shades to choose from. This is especially important for us since dd 14 has an olive-toned, but light, complexion. When she recently started wearing foundation we had a booger of a time finding a good match for her skin! She finally found one for fair Asian/Mediterranean complexions at EDM that matched.

You can also order the free sampler kit with subsequent orders, which I now use to stock up on travel sizes. :) LOL

Love.mineral.makeup. I have yet to find any negatives about it. And it's good for your skin.

I've mostly used Bare Minerals. But I think you can find true mineral makeup (without fillers) in the drugstore now. I've heard the Jane Iredale line is excellent.

I'm not quite 40s yet, but another vote for mineral makeup. I use Pur Minerals and absolutely love it. It's super humid here somedays, super dry the next and it always keeps my skin looking good. Plus, it's just one step. Concealer, foundation, powder all in one. Can't beat that!

Can I hijack the thread briefly? How well does mineral makeup cover up scars?

I'm currently using Bare Minerals, but sometime this summer I'll be acquiring a scar on my face, and I'm wondering if I'll need to switch makeup to minimize the scar. (I have to have a mole by my lip removed. I don't know how bad the scar will be, but I'm already worrying about it.:tongue_smilie:)

I was away from home yesterday so I'm playing catch-up on the boards. Very much a skin care/make-up girl here. :) I have tried many, many brands of foundation and the one that has ended my search is Bare Minerals/ Bare Escentuals. I have not yet read through the replies, but you can get this from Sephora as well as SOME Target stores. At Target you will only find kits, but it's a good buy (comes with 2 foundations, brushes, etc.). Good luck on your search.

I'm currently using Bare Minerals, but sometime this summer I'll be acquiring a scar on my face, and I'm wondering if I'll need to switch makeup to minimize the scar. (I have to have a mole by my lip removed. I don't know how bad the scar will be, but I'm already worrying about it.:tongue_smilie:)

Melinda, You can use the Bare Minerals as a concealer as well as a foundation and there is actually a different brush for this step. I personally use Mary Kay concealer (have never found one better) for under eye and the occasional blemish and have found that it works great under the BM.

I'm a Bare Minerals fan, too. I just switched last year, from Clinique. And, I was a die-hard Clinique user, I never wanted to switch to anything else. I'd been using Clinique for almost 20 years!

Bare Minerals is fantastic. I'm a pale thing, and no matter how light a shade I got from Clinique, I always had to work very hard to be sure there wasn't a "line" under my chin. That's never a problem with Bare Minerals.

I love it, love it, love it. I, too, am sorely tempted to buy the latest and greatest BM item, every time I go into Ulta.

Best way to learn about this product: Find a salon in your area that sells it, if you don't have a local Ulta or Sephora store. Ask if they do free make-overs with the Bare Minerals products. That's how I found out about it -- I was visiting my sister, and went for a "free makeover" at her salon.

I'm going to say that, at first, I wasn't sure I liked it. If my mom hadn't bought me the starter kit, I probably wouldn't have spent the money. But, since she did, I watched the DVD that came with it, and kept trying to use it. It took me a few days to really get it figured out... but, then I realized how much BETTER my skin felt and looked.

has a concealer that's guaranteed to cover up even Tattoos. I have a friend whose dil used it to cover a tattoo on her chest when she got married so it wouldn't show. I've used it for occasional breakouts and it works really well.

A couple of thoughts--I usually end up buying a couple different shades (I'm currently using Clinique) and blending them to get the right shade. I've been doing this for a long time, and then recently read an article by a makeup expert who suggested that and said that's what they do in the professional salons. Who knew?

Many here have suggested mineral makeup. I've tried several brands and there is a difference between the drugstore brands (Loreal, Physicians Formula, etc.) and Bare Minerals or Everyday Minerals. The BM and EM are much better, imo. BM can be a little shiny if not applied carefully. Also, I have asthma and am allergic to dust, and have found the mineral makeups to aggravate it, so just be aware if that's an issue for you.

Melinda, regular mineral foundation can be used a concealer as well. However, when I get a large blemish it tends to leave a small, red scar for MONTHS before it goes away. If your scar ends up being red, I have found that Everyday Minerals (and probably the other brands as well) has a concealer that is green - yes, green! - that neutralizes the red appearance. It doesn't LOOK green when you put it on, just takes away the redness. I dab it on with a concealer brush, then apply my foundation. Voila! (My dd14 LOVES the green concealer for blemishes. At Everyday Minerals we just order it as part of our free sample kit when we order foundation, so we never have to pay for it!)

I have used Bare Minerals and I find that it looks kind of sparkly around my eyes - not a good thing because I think it draws attention to my wrinkles (I'm almost 50). I would prefer something with a matte finish - no sparkly thingy going on. Anyone?

Everyday Minerals has matte. Love their products here and they have a concealer that can be applied wet or dry.

https://www.everydayminerals.com

I have never heard of an Ulta and would like to try it in a store before ordering. Are there other places to get it?

There are salons that carry BE/BM all over the country. Look in your yellow pages and either call around (some salons might not carry, but know who does) or see if they have a display ad that says they carry BE/BM. You can also contact a BE store and they will mail samples to you. I believe there is a very small charge for this.

Good luck!

I have used Bare Minerals and I find that it looks kind of sparkly around my eyes - not a good thing because I think it draws attention to my wrinkles (I'm almost 50). I would prefer something with a matte finish - no sparkly thingy going on. Anyone?

Kathleen, are you using the Mineral Veil? If so, is it the "Feather Light" Mineral Veil? I bought that by accident the last time -- it has sparkles in it! I happen to like that, and it was around Christmastime, so it was an error that worked in my favor. But, for those who don't like the sparkles, you'll want to be sure you're buying the right jar of MV.

Piggybacking - is Bare Minerals the same as Bare Essentials? I'm confused by that. Also, are there any mineral foundations that aren't so shiny?

Yes, it's the same. And, like another poster mentioned, some mineral make-ups are more shiny, but usually those are the ones that have additives in them, they aren't "pure" minerals (typically, the kind sold at drugstores). And, you can end up looking shiny in BE/BM if you aren't careful. It takes practice to apply, but it's worth it, IMO.

For breakouts & blemishes, I think the "Bisque" product (in the BE/BM line) works WONDERS.

HTH!

Wow...the things I learn on this forum! Several months ago I bought Loreal's Bare Naturale mineral make-up. After trying it a couple of times I thought, "This stuff is worthless!" and stuck everything in a bottom drawer and never tried it again.

Well...... last night after reading posts here, I went to the Bare Mineral website and watched the videos and quickly realized I had not used mine correctly. SWIRL, TAP, and BUFF .......so important to making mineral make-up work!!! And I had powdered my whole face with the finishing powder. I know now it's used only for highlights!

I love this forum!!

Hi,

I use Bare Minerals too, but not foundation, for some reason it makes my wrinkles look bigger. But I loved eyeshadow, and feather light is great. I use Diorflash, its a spray foundation, I just spray it on , blend with sponge and go. Its expensive. But, somethings got to cover these forty something wrinkles.

I buy my Diorflash from Sephora. They also sell Bare Minerals. But, my Bare Minerals I buy from QVC. Sometimes get good deals, cant find in stores.

Hope helps,

Jeannette