Menu

baby shower gift ideas for triplets

I will knit some little preemie hats, but otherwise, I'm at a loss. The mom-to-be is currently 17 weeks. Food and meals are already taken care of for the first three months of their lives. She has two kids already, but I'm sure it's like starting over because her last son will be 4 when the babies are born.

:bigear:

Diapers, diapers, diapers :D

Formula? If she isn't nursing.

I'd go with practical for the babies.

Or I'd buy something special just for the mom to pamper herself. If she's got a kindle or nook, gift certificate for books. A warm pair of slip-on slippers for those cold night floors. I can't think any more but something nice for Mom. People are going to be thinking more about those babies than her for a long while to come.

You know, while those first 3 months will be quite an adjustment and all, they will go by and she could still use support...

Perhaps you can think of things to do after those 3 months... and put the ideas together in a sweet coupon book for the mom? Taking older child to the park for a couple hours... taking babies for walks in the stroller while she gets a shower... bringing over some surprise comfort (a wine, easy snacks, etc.)... brunch delivered on a weekend...

And since you know ahead of time, getting a little something here or there along the way. Diapers. Wipes. Baby bath supplies (we love the aveeno ones or the all natural ones). Wash cloths and towels (we like to get the larger ones or regular, good quality in a nice color... perhaps a different color for each baby!). Burp cloths. Bibs. I will say that we go through a lot of bibs each week here!! I am amazed that I get all the laundry done and after a couple days, the bibs are used up. (I babysit my 11 month granddaughter and my 7 month grandson visits for the day a couple days a week)

Housekeeping gift card...Molly Maid or something similar.

Your ph# and availability to do laundry, feed, rock, take older kids out, whatever is needed.

To me, whose looking at a bedridden recovery to a degree after my singleton is born, those would be the most valuable gifts someone could give me.

As for actual 'buy from the store' gifts...

Swings

Bouncy chairs

Bottle gear

Formula (most multiples I've heard of at least supplement)

Grocery gift cards (that way, they can buy formula if need be)

I usually go against the norm with shower gifts and get something for mom specifically instead of a "baby gift". For example a bath and body basket for a little pampering (she's going to need it!) or maybe go in with someone else and get her a gift certificate for a message so she will have a little escape down the road. Just a suggestion.:001_smile:

I don't know how much things cost now, but when we had our boys, we spent $750 every month on diapers, wipes, formula and other necessary baby supplies. So I always think that practical items like these are best gifts.

When they were infants, I sterilized, filled, and refrigerated 36 bottles every night. My boys were 13 weeks premature, and drank only 1-4 oz. at a time and had to be fed continuously.

The boys used at least 720 diapers per month.

I had one baby swing. It was one that could be converted from a cradle to a regular swing. When the boys were big enough to sit up in the swing, I needed two of them.

I rarely left the house for the first year after my boys were born, except to go to the doctor or the hospital. They were very susceptible to catching illnesses which could have killed them. When we did take them out (rarely), we were mobbed by crowds of people who asked tons of questions and who wanted to (some tried to) touch the babies and get in their faces. This crowd behavior went on for several years and forced me to stay home. The crowds were of 20-50 people; I am not exaggerating. It was worse when my DD was between 1 and 3 years old because she was big for her age, and the boys were very small -- people thought we had quads. The boys were used to it by then, but it terrified her.

Because of this, we returned our very bulky and heavy triplet stroller and bought a twin and a single stroller. That way, we could split up in public places and people wouldn't bother us.

The very best gift I could have received was time. I slept 1-3 hours per night for the first year. I needed time to sleep, time to spend with my babies individually, and someone to clean my house.

I definitely think practical stuff, my friend has triplets they are 8 now but the practical side of 3 lots of everything is expensive. Diapers, wipes, more baby clothes. Even with already having had kids she'll probably need more clothes to have enough. I have been getting passed on my friends second hand boys clothes for the last few years that's a lot of clothes she must have bought at one time.

Alternatively bouncy chairs or vouchers for a good baby shop that sells a wide range of items so they can choose what they need.

Remembering my time with a little one in the NICU, do you know how far away from where they live the hospital they will most likely be is? Is it far enough away that they might need to get a hotel? (The parents of the little girl next to ds in the NICU had to do this.) Is there an RV or camper you could borrow or rent for them? Gas cards for the trips to the hospital. We drove an hour there and an hour back every day for 7 weeks. That adds up!

Definitely something to help pamper the mom and give her some "me" time, but try to find something also for the dad. Maybe something to keep him entertained, some books/magazines/apps/whatever while he's waiting. Something to read to the babies. When ds was in the NICU I brought in a hymnal and sang while I did "kangaroo time." A comfortable shirt that unbuttons/lowers by drawstring easily for "kangaroo time" (they put the baby undressed against your bare skin.)

A cooler large enough for 2 lunches or expressed milk.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

Bottle gear

Formula (most multiples I've heard of at least supplement)

More than one bottle warmer.

boppys

a microwave shoulder warmer for mom

pull down music-box plush thingies for the changing table

crib mobiles

One of those toys the baby can kick with feet to get lights and sounds (to try to keep one fussy baby entertained while another is being cared for)

Stroller toys.