Menu

I need the hive mind's thoughts on their sons hunting

Do your son's hunt. If no, why not? If yes, at what age did they start? What are your thoughts or concerns about your boys hunting?

I did not grow up around men that hunted or around men that owned guns although my uncles & dad were in the military.

My dh is pressing for my son to hunt this year. He is 12 & will be 13 in November. He wants him to take a gun safety class this week. Is this the same as a hunting safety class?

I am VERY nervous about it. I am mostly concerned about my son getting injured or shot accidentally or accidentally shooting or hurting someone else. Or feeling too comfortable with guns & fooling around with them outside of hunting. My husband has a CCW, which I am not comfortable with & he sometimes leaves his handgun in his top drawer instead of the safe.

My husband thinks I am silly & foolish for having these concerns and that this gun safety class will take care of my concerns. I do not wish to hinder my son's fun or my husband's fun, nor hinder my son's initiation into manhood, etc. but I don't want to lose him to a stupid accident either. My husband is a bit of a flake, kind of ADDish & forgetful & doesn't play by the rules. I don't trust him to be fully attentive. My son is a play by the rules kinds of person but also a daydreamer & a gabber, so I'm not sure he'll pay full attention.

Plus the family that dh wants to do this with have emotional problems & has boundary issues. My dh is free to be friends with whoever he wants but I'm not comfortable w/ ds being around them too much. This friend is very generous to dh & is paying for the gun safety class. But what about the hunting license & hunting expenses??

Does ds need a smaller gun or would he use a grown up one?

To top it off we are under a lot of stress, husband has been unemployed & I can't even pay the bills or buy groceries. But he wants to make this a priority? He really wants to make an issue of this now? Is it really essential that ds starts hunting this year? How can he even afford it.

Additionally, ds is a compassionate boy who is serious about being a veterinarian one day. He loves animals. I don't want his love for animals to be damaged or his compassion. (My husband is not exactly sensitive, though he is very emotional). I just feel uncomfortable about him killing animals for sport. Do vets hunt? Do they perceive it as part of animal stewardship or control? I have discussed this issue with ds & he said he'd like to at least try hunting, even though he loves animals.

Hunting is big in our area, The people I do know now who hunt make rude jokes about it & the animals that I find offensive. I'm not against hunters & I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but I don't like crass jokes about killing things or entrails, etc. I like respectful, responsible hunters.

To make it worse, a 16 year old who does hunt & enjoys it said

I'd appreciate your thoughts and concerns about hunting from the perspective of a mother.

Please don't shoot me down! Pun intended:001_smile:. My dh already makes me feel bad enough about it. But any comments or information, on the pro or con side would be helpful.

I don't see it as an issue. Hunting in general is a very cheap sport, depending on what you shoot. 13 is the age most boys (at least around here) start hunting, and as long as he takes the safety course I would be all for it. And yes, I do know a lot of vets that hunt. He doesn't need a special gun, but a gun with a lot of kick may scare him.If you do mind my asking, what are they hunting?

Neither my DH nor I grew up around guns, but we both now are lifetime members of the NRA and both have our CC permits.

My DH is a commercial airline pilot and takes part in the armed pilot program. I knew if he was going to have a gun in the house, I was going to have to get comfortable with it. I had him take me shooting at the range and then I took some basic hand gun courses so I could understand how the gun works and begin to feel comfortable with it. Once the gun lost it's mystery to me I began to see it as a tool and I wasn't so uncomfortable with it.

Last year was my DHs first year hunting and he's going again this year with some friends. We live very close to the hunting area (within an hour) so we have discussed my husband going back out in the afternoons with our oldest DS (8.5 yo), but it would only be the two of them. I wouldn't be comfortable with DS going with "the guys" just yet.

My son has his own .22 rifle and that's what he'll take. My husband's hunting rifle would be way to powerful and would knock DS on his bum (me too. I refuse to shoot it).

In your situation, I'm not sure I would let my DS go. In a big group, and with a family you don't particularly trust just seems to raise red flags for his first time out.

If your DS does end up hunting, there are universal gun rules that he must know and always follow:

1. Every gun is always loaded. It doesn't matter if you just unloaded it and answered the phone. When you walk back, it is loaded. Period. Treat every firearm as such and you shouldn't have any problems.

2. Never, ever, ever point the barrel of a gun at something you do not wish to destroy. Even if you think its unloaded, its not (see rule 1).

3. As a child, never ever handle a gun without a responsible adult present. Period.

Children and guns can be a fun experience, but they have to respect the firearm and understand how it works.

Also, if your son does go hunting, make sure he wears plenty of orange. Especially a hat. His head will be lower than where other hunters will be looking for fellow hunters.

Our eldest (now nearly 25 yrs) hunts some, but not avidly. He also owns his own gun.

I feel fine about hunting when the animal is processed and eaten, with as much as possible of the animal made use of (skin, meat, everything).

I don't feel at ease providing firearms to children under the age of eighteen. That is legal adult age, and I believe it makes a defensible minimum age for shooting. I do not expect many to agree with me, so please don't waste time taking potshots at me.

I base my thoughts on how people mature with their physical reflexes and with their decision-making skills. (I would raise the driving age to eighteen for the same reasons.)

(At the same time, however, I am immovably, unshakably, non-negotiably opposed to guns kept for weapons/defense.)

My DH doesn't hunt, but learned to shoot a shotgun at 7, a rifle at 8 and a pistol at 10.

In his family, that's just what was done. Not to go hunting, but to know how to load and fire if ever needed and how to handle a gun, any type, properly and safely. This was due to his family being quite, I guess you could say, "rustic"....while being well educated, quite sophisticated and metropolitan for the majority of the year, they are/were also were a family that had/have cabins in the mountains and out in the desert (CA), both built by hand, both in the middle of nowhere, and are/were very outdoorsy people. At both cabins the potential need to use a gun was real, so the kids all learned very early since the guns were in the cabins.

A few years ago when we were out visiting with DH's family, we all decided to head out to the desert cabin for the day. Lots of family and all the kids went and those who hadn't learned to shoot, learned that day, and those that knew, practiced! LOL - I was kind of surprised, given I had no idea about the guns! At the time, the kids with us were 6, 8, 9, and 10. The 6 year old was the only one who had to have someone do it with her because she was too little (by that, still too young) to do it on her own! They shot at targets of cans, fake snakes (rubber) and tin pie plates lined up on hay bales. Adults were there with them, guiding them (helping the 6 year old too) and making sure they were okay. But I was surprised.

Edited by Tigger

I live in a state with a big hunting culture and I grew up with brothers who hunted.

That said, I would not feel comfortable that my young child had enough frontal cortex development in order to be totally safe. My neighbor is taking is 10 yo this year, and my brother has taken a 10 yo niece before. In my own family, I would have to wonder if their cortex was developed enough at that age to have the necessary judgment in all circumstances.

, I would have to wonder if their cortex was developed enough at that age to have the necessary judgment in all circumstances.

I agree with this completely, which is why DH will only take DS when it is just the two of them and DH can focus 100% absolutely on our son. I would not allow DS to go in a group.

I do not intend to hijack this thread, but I'm very passionate about guns and there is something I have to ask:

To those that are very anti gun and claim their children will never be around one (and I respect this decision, I do not wish to change your mind), have you at least spoken to your children and do they know what to do if/when they are not with you and they are confronted with a firearm?

For instance, they are at little Jimmy's house and little Jimmy says "Hey, I know where my dad keeps his gun, wanna see it?" Do your children know what to say/do?

I only ask because I have a lot of anti gun friends and this scenario seems to not even be on their radar. They believe that because they don't have guns, they can simply ignore the issue with their children. And that, I belive, is tragic.

Off my soap box. :D

ITo those that are very anti gun and claim their children will never be around one (and I respect this decision, I do not wish to change your mind), have you at least spoken to your children and do they know what to do if/when they are not with you and they are confronted with a firearm?

For instance, they are at little Jimmy's house and little Jimmy says "Hey, I know where my dad keeps his gun, wanna see it?" Do your children know what to say/do?

Of course.

My daughter was friendly for a while with a little girl whose father was a sheriff's deputy. We knew he had a gun in the home, and we talked about it then.

My son finds the whole idea of guns appalling. He would never want to see one if a friend offered. And if said friend insisted, I'm pretty sure he would leave.

Don't get me wrong: Despite the pacifist/vegan upbringing, my son has spent hours building weaponry of various kinds. He just hates guns. (I'm not going to get into why, because I don't feel like being flamed today.)

We don't hunt; we do shoot, and start the kids out around 6yo. They do use a smaller size rifle - we have one for about 6-10yo, another for about 10-15, then a full-size.

Here hunter safety classes are offered starting around 11yo; gun safety could be a different class, with different age requirements and possibly not fulfilling the state requirement to get a hunting license.

Even being a huge supporter of getting kids to shoot safely, your concerns about adequate supervision and the group dynamic would make me say no in the case you described. Going to the range with dh to learn, one-on-one, is probably the best place to start. Once you're confident your ds knows the rules and ALWAYS follows them, then it's time to talk about shooting at something other than paper or cans.

Does your son want to hunt? That would be the biggest factor for me. Oh, and a real hunter's safety course. They are typically held at local sportsmen's clubs, and our cost us a whole $7. It was put on by the DNR.

If you are in Michigan, a 12 yo must pass a hunter's safety course in order to hunt legally. A generic gun safety course and hunter's safety are indeed not the same thing. Hunting involves more skills than just safely handling a weapon.

It's too late for him to participate in the youth hunt this year (usually the last week in September). It would be ideal for him to start with that as an adult must be present, and there are not so many hunters in the woods. My ds got his first (and only so far) buck during that weekend. He went last year and all they saw was turkeys. Still enjoyed hanging out in the woods eating sandwiches with dad. :001_smile:

I am betting quite a few veterinarians hunt. Why ever not? :001_huh: Some of them also raise and consume their own livestock.

You mentioned your dh's ADD. Does he drive? Do you trust him to drive with your ds in the car?

ETA: I recalled some facts about hunting in Michigan incorrectly: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_14518-32236--,00.html

Edited by darlasowders

I do not intend to hijack this thread, but I'm very passionate about guns and there is something I have to ask:

To those that are very anti gun and claim their children will never be around one (and I respect this decision, I do not wish to change your mind), have you at least spoken to your children and do they know what to do if/when they are not with you and they are confronted with a firearm?

Yes. We live in a city with a very high crime rate (we were never particularly pro- or anti-gun--it just wasn't on our radar because we're not from gun-owning families so it just wasn't anything we ever thought much about--but DH became really anti-gun after being robbed at gunpoint a few years ago), and we expect that some of the homes our son visits will have firearms in them. At this point, our son knows that, if he sees anything that looks like it even could be a real gun, he is not to go anywhere near it, and he is supposed to let an adult in the house know that it's out. If a friend asks to show him a gun, he should say no and tell an adult. That's one of those situations where tattling is okay.

Going on about this...

It is on my radar especially because there was a local story of a situation with 12 year old boys who got a hold of a parent's gun (that ended badly). I'm haunted by it. It seems like such a stupid reason for a 12 year old to die. The gun wasn't secured, fully loaded, and way too accessible. What is crazy odd to me is that the owner of the gun isn't required to do take precautions (yet if someone drowns in my baby pool in the backyard I'd have my rear dragged through the mud).

I'm not understanding your point. Sometime this last year a kid was killed around here by a friend playing with a parent's gun. As far as I know, the father is still in prison. I may be misreading your intent.

Have you thought about asking the parents if they have guns? I'm just asking because I've thought about doing it. Neither one of my boys have been to someone's house without me so it hasn't come up yet. I wonder how many people would be honest. And then I wonder how I will feel if I know they do. I'm rather torn.

I've had people ask me before and I'm always honest and up front about it. Some of my friends were uncomfortable at first, but as they, themselves, spent more time at my home and never ever saw any evidence of a firearm (it's not like they are laying on the coffee table), they became more comfortable with their kids at my house.

I have two very large dogs and to be honest, more moms have issues with that than they do about firearms (and the dogs and guns are ALL locked up when we have company!) :)

Even being a huge supporter of getting kids to shoot safely, your concerns about adequate supervision and the group dynamic would make me say no in the case you described. Going to the range with dh to learn, one-on-one, is probably the best place to start. Once you're confident your ds knows the rules and ALWAYS follows them, then it's time to talk about shooting at something other than paper or cans.

Yes, this is a concern. It sounds like dad just wants something special to do with his boy. He's a guy, it's fall, and hunting comes to mind.

And as an ADD'ish person myself, I am trying not to take offense at the idea that it might cause me to daydream while my child injures him/herself. I am hyper-alert about safety related things though. Maybe that's not always the case with ADD'ish men. :tongue_smilie:

Have you thought about asking the parents if they have guns? I'm just asking because I've thought about doing it. Neither one of my boys have been to someone's house without me so it hasn't come up yet. I wonder how many people would be honest. And then I wonder how I will feel if I know they do. I'm rather torn.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't. I'd assume that any family honest enough to admit they had a gun would probably be responsible enough to keep it locked up away from the kids.

So I wouldn't come off as nuts for asking? LOL I'm afraid of dogs too. I guess I'm just a spazz. :D

Not at all! Most gun owners are very discreet and you'd be surprised who was walking around armed and never let on. :001_smile:

I've never met a gun owner who (also had young children) who would be offended by the question. In fact, I'm in a babysitting co-op in my MOMS group and the questionaire covered food allergies, pets, swimming pool, etc...but didn't have any questions about firearms in the home. I'm the one that suggested we should add that question! LOL!

My dh relates that his first hunting experience, hunting rabbits, totally helped him finally GET it, as to what a gun really can do to a living thing. It was REAL that a gun could take a life and it really scared him (good kind of scared) and gave him the respect for a firearm that he needed.

We don't typically hunt, not because we are anti-hunting, but more because we don't have the time or desire to, but my kids do shoot.

Heck I even have a CCW permit (I've only one time actually carried a weapon!!) but I do enjoy shooting targets for fun.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't. I'd assume that any family honest enough to admit they had a gun would probably be responsible enough to keep it locked up away from the kids.

We don't ask, where we live we just assume every house has a gun. We've talked to DS to teach him what to do should a friend want to show him a gun or play with one.

I started hunting when I was 14, that was the legal age then, now it's 12. We never hunted for sport, it was always for food and we were raised on elk. Our older kids (6,4) know exactly why we hunt and have no problem with any of it. They do help us process the animals and are around all of it. Our son even when with his grandpa and dad last year when they shot an elk and was only 3, but that is still all he talks about. So, needless to say, our kids can't wait to start hunting :)

Oh, and I was a veterinary technician before kids and it never bothered me and my oldest daughter wants to be a veterinarian also!!

My dh relates that his first hunting experience, hunting rabbits, totally helped him finally GET it, as to what a gun really can do to a living thing. It was REAL that a gun could take a life and it really scared him (good kind of scared) and gave him the respect for a firearm that he needed.

We don't typically hunt, not because we are anti-hunting, but more because we don't have the time or desire to, but my kids do shoot.

Heck I even have a CCW permit (I've only one time actually carried a weapon!!) but I do enjoy shooting targets for fun.

It can be quite relaxing (unless you're having a really off day, and can't hit the broad side of a barn! :lol:). Too bad ammo is getting so expensive. I miss shooting, and am hoping to get myself a smaller weapon first. Some kind of .22 pistol as the bullets for those are dirt cheap.

We don't ask, where we live we just assume every house has a gun. We've talked to DS to teach him what to do should a friend want to show him a gun or play with one.

As my son gets older, and is friends with older kids, our biggest concern is his coming across an older kids who has an illegally-obtained gun (or has a gun that legally belongs to somebody else in their family/home). Illegal guns are a huge problem here (well, in many places, I think). It's not all that unusual for 14 or 15 year old kids to be carrying.

I'm not one for major amounts of sheltering, but we're extremely careful to not let DS be in situations where he might be around kids that age without responsible adult supervision for that reason. We're also careful about him going to a home where there's an older sibling or cousin unless we know them and know that, at the very least, if they did have a weapon, they'd be sensible enough to keep it away from kids.

I agree with you that this is an issue too important to ignore. Stay on the soapbox!

This is far from a "perfect fix"; however, my children (non-adult dc, that is) never go into a home where firearms are present. We know where they visit, and know the people who live there. (Why would they visit somewhere without our knowing the people well enough to know about this, anyway? :confused:)

I only ask because I have a lot of anti gun friends and this scenario seems to not even be on their radar. They believe that because they don't have guns, they can simply ignore the issue with their children. And that, I belive, is tragic.

On further thought I'd be ok with hunting if it were for food. If it were for any other reason, no. It's not different than fishing. But if it is just for the sake of shooting at animals then I don't get it.

Beyond the universal rules of gun ownership I mentioned, the first thing we taught our children was "If you kill something, you eat it."

We do not kill animals for fun. We kill for food or for protection. Period.

My husband isn't currently big on hunting (he's got nothing against it, just doesn't really do it). I don't care to eat wild game, none of it, so there really isn't a point in him hunting anyway. He is an excellent...shooter...I know there is a better word than that. He's military and earns only the highest marks for shooting.

I wouldn't mind if he wanted to take our ds hunting, though again I don't see the point if we are not going to eat the kills.

My dh is pressing for my son to hunt this year. He is 12 & will be 13 in November. He wants him to take a gun safety class this week. Is this the same as a hunting safety class?

I took a gun safety course a couple of summers ago and have vowed that my kids will take it as teenagers whether they ever shoot a gun or not. Lots of great info. I never did follow through and get the requisite permit I needed to actually buy and own a gun (the course convinced me it was just too much responsibility I didn't need - another thing I'd have to put away and clean?:)) but I'll never regret the course.

I am VERY nervous about it. I am mostly concerned about my son getting injured or shot accidentally or accidentally shooting or hurting someone else. Or feeling too comfortable with guns & fooling around with them outside of hunting. My husband has a CCW, which I am not comfortable with & he sometimes leaves his handgun in his top drawer instead of the safe.

Then you have leverage. You can draw up conditions. Your son can go fo the course once your husband cleans up his act and shows him a responsible model of gun ownership.

My husband thinks I am silly & foolish for having these concerns and that this gun safety class will take care of my concerns. I do not wish to hinder my son's fun or my husband's fun, nor hinder my son's initiation into manhood, etc. but I don't want to lose him to a stupid accident either. My husband is a bit of a flake, kind of ADDish & forgetful & doesn't play by the rules. I don't trust him to be fully attentive. My son is a play by the rules kinds of person but also a daydreamer & a gabber, so I'm not sure he'll pay full attention.

I don't know if I'd mention those concerns but there's no way I'd let my son go with just one man. Your son isn't strong enough or experienced enough to help if anything went wrong. I know your husband could probably handle your son if he got hurt but what if the injured party was you husband? Does he know how to find his way out? Does he know first aid? Could he drag your husband any distance if he had too?

I'm betting no. So no hunting unless there's at least one other experienced adult around.

Plus the family that dh wants to do this with have emotional problems & has boundary issues.

Definitely no for me. If you don't trust them normally adding guns and isolation doesn't make it any better. Again, it's not about your DH when you talk to him, it's about him finding hunting partners that you can trust.

But he wants to make this a priority? He really wants to make an issue of this now? Is it really essential that ds starts hunting this year? How can he even afford it.

Maybe he's feeling low on confidence right now and wants to bolster that by doing something manly with his son? If that might be the case can you just say no, not right now anyway, and then suggest some other things like hiking or volunteering for something like Habitat for Humanity where they can have some cheap male bonding time?

Additionally, ds is a compassionate boy who is serious about being a veterinarian one day. He loves animals. I don't want his love for animals to be damaged or his compassion. (My husband is not exactly sensitive, though he is very emotional). I just feel uncomfortable about him killing animals for sport. Do vets hunt? Do they perceive it as part of animal stewardship or control? I have discussed this issue with ds & he said he'd like to at least try hunting, even though he loves animals.

A lot of animals lovers hunt. It's hard to explain but killing an animal respectfully after hunting it or even lovingly raising it dosn't always conflict with that love. Sometimes it makes you more understanding and compassionate. I raised my meat chickens this summer and will do it again next year but I'll never be able to look at another grocery store chicken with the same sense of detachment again knowing that bird had the potential to be every bit as sweet and charming as my guys were.

BUT, that's not true for everyone. Has anyone asked you son what he thinks about this?

That aside, I have nothing against hunting. No interest in it myself but a lot of respect for the many people I know who do it but your post raises waaaay to many red flags for me and my son would NOT be hunting in a similar situation.

Edited by WishboneDawn

99% of the time, I agree with this bolded sentence.

My 1% exception is the feral hogs rampant in East Texas. They destroy everything in their path, and spread disease. (One can confirm this with Internet searches.) My son who hunts occasionally, joins his friend to reduce the number of these pests on the farm belonging to the friend's grandfather.

On further thought I'd be ok with hunting if it were for food. If it were for any other reason, no. It's not different than fishing. But if it is just for the sake of shooting at animals then I don't get it.

Let me first say that I grew up in a rural area in a hunting family. I no longer live in that area and my kids have had, by necessity (we live in a city) a gun-free childhood.

I knew someone who accidentally shot and killed his 17 yo son while deer hunting when I was a kid.

I have a local friend whose well-intentioned, but careless, husband allowed their kids to try to cook when he was not directly supervising. Two of the three of them ended up in the burn unit, with lifelong physical and emotional scars.

Accidents happen, not everything is preventable. But if I was in your situation, I would be very uncomfortable, for all the reasons you name. How you respond, how I would respond, would depend very much on how strongly my dh felt, how willing I was to spend my credibility with him to prevent it from happening, etc. It's a very difficult and fraught situation, and I'm very sympathetic.

Gun supporters will no doubt tell you how the safety classes will solve every worry. People will make you feel like you're "sissyfying" your boy. I've been told as much myself, and I'm not in your situation, not at all.

I'm very sympathetic and I don't have the answers. But I'll be thinking of you.

Catherine

I believe it is wrong to hunt for sport. In this country, at this time, most people who hunt do so for sport. However, I also believe the deer (and other game) population must be controlled....and I certainly eat meat.

I have a brother who is a gentle soul. He grew up without a father and an uncle of ours was always doing his best to make a 'man' out of my brother. Ugh. I think my brother was damaged by the hunting culture. He hunted until his mid 30s but now he has no interest in it.

Now I have a son who is a gentle soul. I am so against THIS boy going hunting. I have molded him with that in mind his entire life. His father, my XH, is a hunter...a safe one....but my concerns for my son are as much about the emotional impact as the physical safety (which is also huge, don't get me wrong). My XH almost always defers to me in parenting decisions....so I am hopeful that IF ds ever DID want to hunt XH would not override me on it.

I do understand the culture. It is a father/son thing. It is one of my XH's best memories of his childhood...hunting with his dad and his older brothers. However I just don't believe it is the best way for fathers and sons to bond....especially sensitive sons.

99% of the time, I agree with this bolded sentence.

My 1% exception is the feral hogs rampant in East Texas. They destroy everything in their path, and spread disease. (One can confirm this with Internet searches.) My son who hunts occasionally, joins his friend to reduce the number of these pests on the farm belonging to the friend's grandfather.

I consider this to fall under protection. Protecting oneself from animals is not always a life/death situation. I'd protect my dogs from predators, my crops & my property from nuisance animals.

Good point. It's also another reason to make sure you and the kids are educated about gun ownership and how to properly take care of a gun. I'm not anti-gun and as I said in my other post, I decided I didn't want the bother (my only interest was to scare off the occasional bear but a metal bowl and spoon do that and I don't have to do much with those besides stick them back in the cupboard) but taking the gun course opened my eyes as to what a responsible gun owner should be doing and I now know which neighbour's house my son will NEVER go to alone because I don't trust his dad to store his firearms properly nor the son to keep his hands off them.

I started hunting when I was 14, that was the legal age then, now it's 12. We never hunted for sport, it was always for food and we were raised on elk. Our older kids (6,4) know exactly why we hunt and have no problem with any of it. They do help us process the animals and are around all of it. Our son even when with his grandpa and dad last year when they shot an elk and was only 3, but that is still all he talks about. So, needless to say, our kids can't wait to start hunting :)

Oh, and I was a veterinary technician before kids and it never bothered me and my oldest daughter wants to be a veterinarian also!!

:iagree: Hunting is for food. We raised chickens with my mom and we're around for butchering day. My kids had their pet chickens and they know which are the meat birds. It's how this concept is presented to your kids. They will model your attitude.

I wonder if your DH sees hunting this year as a way to provide meat (groceries).My non-hunting, former corporate, unemployed husband has been chatting up my Uncles & Dad about deer hunting season. He wants to give it a shot (HA!) and see if he can't get some venison for the freezer. I'm not worried about starving. The chickens we butchered are plentiful!

Please don't assume that. The neighbour down the road is very up front about having a gun. It's just not a big deal around here - we're in a rural area and lots of folks have rifles or shotguns. And while this guy is a decent person he is not terribly responsible. And his son likes to be very sneaky and his wife barely monitors what her son is up too.

Do your son's hunt. If no, why not? If yes, at what age did they start? What are your thoughts or concerns about your boys hunting?

Well, to answer your initial question - no, my son doesn't hunt. But he did take the hunting safety class this year, scored a 98 on the test - Thankyouverymuch. (Even though I had nothing to do with that!) My dh has only hunted one year. He only went 3 times last year. BUT if dh was willing to take ds and ds wanted to go, then yes I'd let him. But my dh is very safety conscience and I would have none of the worries you have.

The concerns about the crude jokes and not being concerned for animals. I don't think you need to worry about ds changing. He very well may change his mind about wanting to be a vet and you may in the future be able to trace it back to hunting, but it may also be that the two have nothing to do with each other. (Both my dds were very gung-ho about a chosen career field until the got to 9th grade and they suddenly don't want to do that anymore.)

My kids have both been hunting since they were very little. My dd shot her first duck when she was 5. We keep a loaded firearm in our home for protection. Both my kids know to never ever ever touch a gun without an adult present, how to tell if a gun is on safety, if it is loaded, how to properly carry a firearm at all times, and more. And I am glad. They treat BB guns and pellet guns with same respect as they do our rifles and pistols.

Knowing gun safety is SO important! It could end up SAVING his life or someone else's. I think you should encourage your dh to take your son to the safety class. I think it is better for children to learn how to be safe around firearms, rather than sit back and hope that they will never run across a firearm situation at a friend's house or elsewhere.

edited to add: I just read that your dh puts his pistol in the dresser sometimes. That is all the more reason for your ds to take a safety course!

Edited by Alyeska

Gun supporters will no doubt tell you how the safety classes will solve every worry.

I support gun owners' rights and I would never say that. That's a HUGE over-generalization. Can accidents occur? Most certainly but when you are talking about a responsible gun owner these accidents are few.

The OP has serious doubts about whether or not her DH is responsible enough to provide a safe hunting environment for her son. No amount of safety classes can change that. I think she should follow her gut instinct and fight to keep her son out of the situation.

Havent read all the other replies. My kids hunt. They start going with us at age 3. My dd9 just passed her hunting safety class and will be hunting during youth firearm season this year.

My kids learn gun safety as soon as they can walk. Hunters safety course was helpful, but IMO EVERYTHING they learn about guns and hunting safety will come from the parents and how parents handle everything,

My DS5 went with me to a yard sale and the guy running it asked him if he wanted a toy gun for free. My DS looked it over and said "sure I'll take it, it has a safety" :lol: Cute, but that's what we teach.

We hunt for sport and for meat. There is nothing wrong with hunting for sport. We dont just run around shooting everything we see. We hunt during specific seasons and we have great respect for all animals. God put us in charge of these animals and TOLD us to eat them. The animals we hunt and don't eat are given to people that will eat them or we sell hides.

My dd9 is a girly girl, but can shoot a gun like its nobody's business. She cries if a pet hamster dies, but has no problems shooting a squirrel or deer. She can tell the difference and in her mind, just like in our minds, hunting and harming pets for no reason have 2 different places in our hearts.

We LOVE animals, we raise deer and breed labs. We have 32 pets right now. But we hunt for fun and for food. Me, my husband, and my kids are all perfectly healthy and have no ill side effects from any of it. Its our way of life.

ETA: I reread OP after I drifted into some other people's. Your son will only be as safe as your DH is. You need to chat with DH and set up some boundaries before your son goes with him. Hunters safety class will NOT teach them everything and there is no way they can retain all that info. It must be soaked into their minds and this comes from seeing how others deal with guns

Edited by kwickimom

Gun supporters will no doubt tell you how the safety classes will solve every worry.

Catherine

I not only do not agree with this, but I find it offensive. Gun safety classes are imiportant, however they are not a substitute for responsible gun ownership.

A responsible gun owner will take a safety class, but taking a class will not, necessarily, make a gun owner responsible.

Responsibility is a learned behavior, with guns, with cars, with anything really. It's about modeling responsibility to our children.

The OP expressed concerns about her own husband's responsibility. That would give me pause, for sure, about letting my child go hunting with him.

I think you are right to be worried given the cavalier attitude your dh has exhibited with gun safety. That said, this would be a GREAT chance for YOU to learn about gun safety, so you can impart that message to your son. I think if you son wants to learn about guns it is vital that he learn safe handling, because otherwise you have a kid with a curiousity that doesn't know the right way to handle that. You don't want that curiosity to come out when he is with someone else and their gun, or with your dh's gun when it isn't locked!

I really really really like this website, written by a woman. It has a whole section of articles about guns and kids. I think you should read all of them, read the section on gun safety, then take the gun safety class with your son. Then YOU can be the voice of reason. http://corneredcat.com/Contents/

At this point he already is interested. There is already a gun in the house. Without you and he being VERY clear on safety rules this is a very dangerous situation. PLEASE PLEASE learn about this for your kids' sake.

Given your situation, guns in the house, avoiding this issue isn't a possibility. ALL the kids in the house need to know the rules, basics, etc, because they are all exposed. You too!

ETA: I reread OP after I drifted into some other people's. Your son will only be as safe as your DH is. You need to chat with DH and set up some boundaries before your son goes with him. Hunters safety class will NOT teach them everything and there is no way they can retain all that info. It must be soaked into their minds and this comes from seeing how others deal with guns

:iagree::iagree:

The men in my family are *hugely* responsible with the guns. I trust them without a doubt, and Ds 12 is super cautious so the lessons will stick.

My DS is only 3 now, so he doesn't hunt yet, but DH has already told him that he can start accompanying him on his trips at age 7. He won't be allowed to shoot a gun then, but he will begin to learn to use a bow then. My DH hunts with both. DH was raised in a hunting family. They do NOT hunt for sport. We eat what he kills (deer and turkey).

I did not grow up around this and I hate the idea of my DS handling a gun, but I also realize that hunting was a bonding experience for my DH and his dad, and he wants that with his son as well. DH plans to teach all of our children gun safety from a young age(he takes it VERY seriously), since we have his rifle in our home. We have a gun cabinet that is LOCKED TIGHT though. I believe that if you teach them responsibility young, they are less likely to goof off with it, whereas if it is a forbidden thing, they are more tempted with curiosity about it.