Menu

I guess all Christian wives should keep doing those crossword puzzles

I think he is out there but wasn't his response to a situation where the husband was already cheating on his wife? Isn't that a little different than just saying, "Go and divorce your sick spouse b/c they are sick." Seems more like a well "if you are not going to honor your vows by being faithful than you should divorce her first."

and that makes it okay how? that's disgusts me even more.

Does anyone remember the "news" segment on SNL where Tina Fey would say a quote, then we were supposed to guess if it were originally said by Pat Robertson or the crazy homeless woman who lived near the SNL studio front door? I got most of them wrong! It was so funny, but also very sad. I felt bad for laughing so hard. I felt them that someone needed to intervene in this man's life.

and that makes it okay how? that's disgusts me even more.

Exactly. So, God gives a pass to spouses of Alzheimer's patients? It's not "sinning" if your spouse can no longer care for herself? Gross.

I'm going to take a WILD stab in the dark here and guess that if the situation were reversed, a woman who did that to her mentally ailing husband would still ultimately be a $%#%! :glare:

Our well-loved pastor resigned our church years ago, when his wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, in order to spend the rest of the time she had left caring for her ad her needs. The way he cares for her, changing her diapers, feeding her, and remembering their anniversary every year is one of the most touching and inspiring things I've ever witnessed. What a privilege to be loved like that.

That is beautiful.

Poor Pat, he's getting so addled....But honestly, my daddy suffered from dementia (Pick's Disease, which is in the same family as Alzheimer's) for over 13 years. It's no fun watching someone die an inch at a time, but we persevered. My mom stayed married even though many friends and family members suggested she divorce him. He was the only man she ever loved and just couldn't abandon him that way. Her life was unbearable at times, but she wanted to honor him the way she knew he would have done if it were her.

Someone pointed out to a friend once that their loved one suffering from Alzheimer's didn't recognize them anymore, then asked why did they even bother going to see them in the nursing home? The friend just answered, "Yeah, but I remember him."

There is a purpose in walking through sorrow and grief. I am the person I am today partly because of the experience of standing by my parents through those long years of Dad's illness. If we try to shortcut the process, we risk losing out on the powerful lessons God has for us all.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Poor Pat, he's getting so addled....But honestly, my daddy suffered from dementia (Pick's Disease, which is in the same family as Alzheimer's) for over 13 years. It's no fun watching someone die an inch at a time, but we persevered. My mom stayed married even though many friends and family members suggested she divorce him. He was the only man she ever loved and just couldn't abandon him that way. Her life was unbearable at times, but she wanted to honor him the way she knew he would have done if it were her.

Someone pointed out to a friend once that their loved one suffering from Alzheimer's didn't recognize them anymore, then asked why did they even bother going to see them in the nursing home? The friend just answered, "Yeah, but I remember him."

There is a purpose in walking through sorrow and grief. I am the person I am today partly because of the experience of standing by my parents through those long years of Dad's illness. If we try to shortcut the process, we risk losing out on the powerful lessons God has for us all.

Blessings,

Lucinda

You said so beautifully what I tried to--I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm not a fan of PR but I really didn't get the impression he was advising divorcing a spouse with Alzheimers. He was responding to a question about a man who was already cheating on a spouse with Alzheimers. He said...

"I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her."

I personally take it to mean that since the man in question had already abandoned his wife (mentally at least) and moved on and it would be more honest to all concerned that he divorce but make sure she is provided for. I actually tend to agree with this. IMO if a man (or woman) isn't fully investing in caring for a spouse (mentally and physically) then they need to be honest about it. Dealing with Alzheimer's is a huge responsibility and if the spouse is distracted and not fully on-board with the treatment and care it can lead to disaster and harm to the patient. I want to believe that is what PR was trying to convey. Divorce actions would offer the Alzheimer's spouse certain guarantees of protection for ongoing medical and other expenses that may not be available from a spouse that may have an interest in spending that money on other 'distractions'. A divorce action involving an Alzheimer's patient would also insure that the court appoints a guardian to represent the patient. In the interest of long term committed care, divorce may be the best option in this case.

Edited by 2cents

I personally take it to mean that since the man in question had already abandoned his wife (mentally at least) and moved on and it would be more honest to all concerned that he divorce but make sure she is provided for. I actually tend to agree with this. .

I absolutely do not agree with this. Whatever happened to 'in sickness and health?" as a "minister" why isn't PR advising the guy to forsake all others (as the bible commands) and be true to his vows to care for his wife? Christiainity is NOT all about what happens "here" in mortality, but about how we behave "here" in mortality, and we're expected to live a higher standard.

I absolutely do not agree with this. Whatever happened to 'in sickness and health?" as a "minister" why isn't PR advising the guy to forsake all others (as the bible commands) and be true to his vows to care for his wife? Christiainity is NOT all about what happens "here" in mortality, but about how we behave "here" in mortality, and we're expected to live a higher standard.

I respect your feeling on this but I am not at all religious so my opinion comes from my experience working in the social service and legal fields. I wish people could all aim for that 'higher standard' but that isn't a realistic expectation and in the case in point the man had already shown a lack of intent in that direction. So in the interest of what is best for the patient, I think perhaps divorce may be the best option if it can ensure that she gets the care she needs.

For PR to recommend the man be true to his vows would be pointless because he is so far beyond that and if he couldn't do that then you look at the next best option to protect the interests of the patient. It might have been nice if PR were to clarify that he wants to see people honor their vows BUT if that is not going to happen THEN divorce is an option.