Menu

Help me find this song...

I have no idea what it is...have only heard it a couple times...it's kinda of a pop rock song maybe... has the lyrics "kids are alright"...that's all I remembered and figured it'd easy enough to Google...not!

It is not The Who or Offspring...these are the only ones I've found searching the few lyrics I can remember :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

I think it was Cheap Trick.... hang on--gonna google.

Pretty sure it was called Surrender btw. Trying to find it, but this keeps threatening to time out on me...

Okay, probably not it since you said it was newer. The one I'm thinking of is late 70's. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by darlasowders

I think it was Cheap Trick.... hang on--gonna google.

Pretty sure it was called Surrender btw. Trying to find it, but this keeps threatening to time out on me...

Okay, probably not it since you said it was newer. The one I'm thinking of is late 70's. :tongue_smilie:

Surrender is my guess too.

Funny you mentioned this song....my dh showed me the lyrics today....shocking. He said we had all been listening to the song moments earlier as we drove down the road together.

Ack! I looked them up after I saw the song title and read this...ugh! Geez, all the words in the world and that's all they can come up with. Gah!

Music today...stinks!!! I still sometimes hear songs from back in my teen years and then look up the lyrics and choke. I often sing along and make up my own lyrics, guess I should start looking them all up. I heard a song tonight that I've listened to before and liked the beat of...but then I looked up the actual lyrics and it blew me away. I hadn't even caught the obscene language in the song! :glare:

No clue on the lyrics, but I wanted to drop into Tina's thread and say... It's been awhile since I've been on with any regularity, and I love your new avatar pic!

Awww....so sweet...thank you! :D

Ack! I looked them up after I saw the song title and read this...ugh! Geez, all the words in the world and that's all they can come up with. Gah!

Music today...stinks!!! I still sometimes hear songs from back in my teen years and then look up the lyrics and choke. I often sing along and make up my own lyrics, guess I should start looking them all up. I heard a song tonight that I've listened to before and liked the beat of...but then I looked up the actual lyrics and it blew me away. I hadn't even caught the obscene language in the song! :glare:

Nickelback's song This afternoon is SO catchy, and my son (and I) love it, but the lyrics are shocking! Not the type of message I want my son to be listening to! We discussed this yesterday when talking about that Foster the People's song....need to be sure our kids ITouchs are cleaned up a bit.

Here are the lyrics.

Robert's got a quick hand

He'll look around the room

He won't tell you his plan

He's got a rolled cigarette hanging out his mouth

He's a cowboy kid

Yeah, he found a six-shooter gun

In his dad's closet hidden in a box of fun things

And I don't even know what

But he's coming for you, yeah, he's coming for you

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun

You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet

x1

Daddy works a long day

He be coming home late, yeah, he's coming home late

And he's bringing me a surprise

Because dinner's in the kitchen and it's packed in ice

I've waited for a long time

Yeah, the slight of my hand is now a quick pull trigger

I reason with my cigarette

And say your hair's on fire

You must have lost your wits, yeah

x1

Here are the lyrics.

Robert's got a quick hand

He'll look around the room

He won't tell you his plan

He's got a rolled cigarette hanging out his mouth

He's a cowboy kid

Yeah, he found a six-shooter gun

In his dad's closet hidden in a box of fun things

And I don't even know what

But he's coming for you, yeah, he's coming for you

x1

Daddy works a long day

He be coming home late, yeah, he's coming home late

And he's bringing me a surprise

Because dinner's in the kitchen and it's packed in ice

I've waited for a long time

Yeah, the slight of my hand is now a quick pull trigger

I reason with my cigarette

And say your hair's on fire

You must have lost your wits, yeah

x1

This is what Mark Foster had to say about the song:

What is "Pumped Up Kicks" about?

The song is about a teenage kid that is trapped, isolated, and basically hates his life. So he's pretty much fantasizing going on a killing spree. For me, I write in character a lot, so I like to write stories from other people's perspectives. That song in particular, I was thinking and kind of burnt by 'How often does this happen?' More kids are getting guns, and shooting people, and these things are happening younger and younger, 14 or 13 years old. It's turning into an epidemic for American youth. I wanted to infiltrate, and dig beneath the surface and get into the psychology of what's going on in a kid's mind like that.

link

I was wondering about that after I saw the video. The band looks like a bunch of college kids. Then I started thinking it was more a statement on our culture than a gangster (for lack of a better word) song.

Either way it isn't something that I want my child listening to. Or that *I* want to listen to for that matter.

This is what Mark Foster had to say about the song:

What is "Pumped Up Kicks" about?

The song is about a teenage kid that is trapped, isolated, and basically hates his life. So he's pretty much fantasizing going on a killing spree. For me, I write in character a lot, so I like to write stories from other people's perspectives. That song in particular, I was thinking and kind of burnt by 'How often does this happen?' More kids are getting guns, and shooting people, and these things are happening younger and younger, 14 or 13 years old. It's turning into an epidemic for American youth. I wanted to infiltrate, and dig beneath the surface and get into the psychology of what's going on in a kid's mind like that.

link

So it's basically this decade's Jeremy from Pearl Jam?

I liked this song, now I'm not so sure. I thought the lyrics were "You better run faster than my BROTHER," more a silly song about entitled kids with good shoes and a protective sibling. :001_huh:

So weird I saw this post...I'd heard parts of Pumped up Kicks on the radio (not knowing what the song was) and thought it was a catchy tune. I thought it was kind of similar to that old song Dancing in the Moonlight. Anyway, I didn't hear the lyrics, and they play it on this radio station the kids and I listen to, which is pretty good for the most part, they play new and old stuff but no rap or metal.

Anyway....fast forward to DD6's very first Daisy Girl Scout meeting. She was so excited when they said they'd be singing a song. She said "I know a song!" and proceeds to belt out the chorus to Pumped up Kicks. I almost fainted right there. I guess the kids have had the radio on a lot lately while I've been napping (I'm in the 1st trimester of a pretty exhausting pregnancy). Anyway, I there were a couple of chuckles in the room from people who've probably heard the song before but the rest of the parents were pretty shocked (including me).

On the way home I just explained to DD that the words to the song aren't very nice for a little girl to sing. I'm sure it's confusing since the melody is so...cheerful?

Not looking forward to the next GS meeting....:blush:

So weird I saw this post...I'd heard parts of Pumped up Kicks on the radio (not knowing what the song was) and thought it was a catchy tune. I thought it was kind of similar to that old song Dancing in the Moonlight. Anyway, I didn't hear the lyrics, and they play it on this radio station the kids and I listen to, which is pretty good for the most part, they play new and old stuff but no rap or metal.

Anyway....fast forward to DD6's very first Daisy Girl Scout meeting. She was so excited when they said they'd be singing a song. She said "I know a song!" and proceeds to belt out the chorus to Pumped up Kicks. I almost fainted right there. I guess the kids have had the radio on a lot lately while I've been napping (I'm in the 1st trimester of a pretty exhausting pregnancy). Anyway, I there were a couple of chuckles in the room from people who've probably heard the song before but the rest of the parents were pretty shocked (including me).

On the way home I just explained to DD that the words to the song aren't very nice for a little girl to sing. I'm sure it's confusing since the melody is so...cheerful?Not looking forward to the next GS meeting....:blush:

This is what my dh said....that melody sounds like a kids song!