Menu

Princess Bride....the novel?

Our high school English class was assigned to read it. I remember enjoying it, but I was an older teen, so I wouldn't have noticed much objectionable. I do remember it wasn't downright dirty, because I don't read that stuff, but I don't remember if it had some language or innuendo. It was a fun book, though.

It's WONDERFUL!

I read it aloud to my children when they were young. It's just as sweet and innocent as the movie, but adds more detail and back story for the characters.

:iagree:

I just purchased this book as a Christmas gift for my DH, because he loves the movie so much. I couldn't help but read it and it's just lovely. I never knew it was a real book until someone on these boards mentioned it. I knew immediately that I had to get it for DH. He was not a big reader as a child but, having a wife and kids who are huge readers, he is coming around to our ways. :D I think we'll do this as our first family read-aloud of the new year and follow up by watching the movie.

Yes, with the exception of the intro. I edited a part of the married narrator's flirtation with a starlet as I read out loud to my boys.

I read it as a young teen and did not remember that part at all, so it's not a huge deal, and I'd let teens read it as is, but it might be worth pre-reading the first few pages to see if it's something you'd object to. The rest of the book is innocent and charming.

Cat

It's my favorite book! I actually read it at age 13 before I saw the movie (it was just coming out in the theaters). My grandpa had just passed away, and I found it when we were going through some of his books, so it has another special meaning to me. There is a lot of humor in the book that isn't in the movie. I do like the movie (except for Billy Crystal as Miracle Max....so annoying) but the book is a lot better imo.

. . . A word of warning: It is quite different from the film.

The whole "framing device" is different. (Grandpa and little Fred Savage aren't in the book.) The book is significantly more detailed than the movie.

And, most importantly, from my point of view, the tone of the novel is very different. It's not all sweetness and light, but actually rather cynical. Buttercup is kind of a shallow character.

The whole thing is more or less a parody of epic romantic novels.

My husband read it aloud to our daughter when she was mayber five, and she enjoyed it. But it really is a book for adults. There's nothing "objectionable," but I suspect younger readers won't get a lot of it.

It's not like the movie.

:iagree: I also didn't care for the ending. It wasn't a completely happy ending like the movie if I remember correctly. I was disappointed.

Yes. Dd and I both HATED the ending in the book.

I also agree with the other posters who commented that the book is both cynical and long-winded. Really, it's just poorly written.

Oh no. I just bought the book but haven't read it yet. SIGH

Mine (a used copy) has this inscription --

Happy birthday (name)!

here's a copy of my fav

book everyone should have

a copy if you already do

pass it on and share the

love.

Edited by stripe

I think the book is great, much better than the movie (which I love). It is long-winded, but that's half the fun of it. I love all the hilarious little asides. I think a young teen would be perfectly fine to read it. There are 3 or 4 bad words sprinkled throughout, which I remember because I scratched them out in my copy as a teenager. :)

Isn't there a scary torture scene? I remember that there was in the movie.

Yes, Prince Humperdink's "zoo" (where the Albino lives) is quiet a bit larger in the book than in the movie, and the torture device is different as well, and you, of course, get to "hear" Weastly's thoughts as he's being hooked up, and how it effects him. I read it for the first time when I was 19 and it didn't bother me too much. I don't know how much differently I'd have reacted to it if I'd read it when I was even younger.

I love the book; I think it's better than the movie. I think they are quite different, and I'm surprised some people think they are very close to the same. It is quite cynical and wordy, but I like those things in books. ;)

:iagree:

I was very different and very good. Also, Please, don't read any reviews of the book or you will spoil something about it. I was warned not to by a great book-friend and very glad I listened to his advice.

I love the book; I think it's better than the movie. I think they are quite different, and I'm surprised some people think they are very close to the same. It is quite cynical and wordy, but I like those things in books. ;)

:iagree::iagree:

Yes, the "wordiness" of it is part of the humor. You get to hear the back stories of Inigo and Fezzik, and everything that happened to Westley on the pirate ship...and how conceited Buttercup is. It's also funny that William Goldman pretends that he's abridging a favorite book from his childhood and taking out all of the boring parts. (When I read it as a kid, I believed that and actually went to the library to try to find the "original" S. Morgenstern version. :lol:) As for the ending...well, it's ambiguous and meant to be cynical and humorous. Just like the rest of the story. I love it!

Like I said, I also love the movie (minus the Billy Crystal part, where I feel he just goes into some sort of weird stand-up comedy routine) but the book has so many funny details the movie does not.