Menu

How much do you spend on shoes for your kids?

My kids have lived in Crocs all summer. They hate wearing socks....they want something that they can just slip on and go. And I don't blame them. I have a pair of Toms that I have fallen in love with that I just slip on, with no socks. I literally wear them everywhere. I was thinking of getting them a pair of Toms each. For DD4, they would be $29. For DD7, they would be $38. Plus shipping. I know those are probably really good prices but I'm fairly cheap when it comes to kids shoes LOL.

But with summer coming to a close, the Crocs won't work all the time. I know we are in Florida, but it does cool off eventually LOL. And DD7 seems to get dirty feet due to the holes in the sides of the Crocs. She has to clean her feet upon coming home.

The Toms are meant to be worn without socks. Or I could get them a pair of slip on Vans that could be worn with socks. But they really don't like socks.

So how much do you spend on shoes for your kids?

I spend more on my son's shoes than my daughters, simply because they buy one pair of athletic shoes and wear them everywhere in the winter. I usually spend anywhere from $50 to $75 for the first pair, but always buy at Shoe Carnival when the 2nd pair is half off.

My girls like differents shoes/boots for their outfits, so I either look at consignment shops or buy at Target and usually spend $25 a pair at most.

I just bought the boys new tennis shoes. They lived in their crocs all summer as well. I bought the shoes at Famous Footwear during their buy one get one half off sale. I spent $60.00 on the first pair, and $22.00 on the second pair. The last tennis shoes I bought for them lasted almost a whole year, since their feet don't seem to be growing as quickly anymore. I expect them to wear them all winter and spring unless they grow out of them.

I think an investment in Toms would be all right. I don't think the prices are out of line for kids shoes. It's not like you're going to need snow boots where you live.

When we were in the south ds had sandals and tennis shoes. Sandals were less than 20.00, tennis shoes were 50-70 depending on when they were purchased.

He still goes barefoot most of the summer, I wish he wear some slip on shoes. At this rate he's outgrowing shoes before they wear out.

I usually spend a lot on my daughter's shoes. I don't believe in buying cheap shoes. Too many adults have foot problems. I had to have my foot operated on when I was in high school and I don't want her to have foot issues when she gets older. Flip flops are the worst. You can google and find many articles from foot doctors talking about how poorly made shoes, especially flip flops, are causing more and more foot problems. I also heard that it is not good to share shoes. Something about the shoes forming to the foot of the first child that wears them, then the next child's foot can not fit properly.

I am very happy, though, to find last year's model on clearance! :)

I spend between $40 and $80 for my son's shoes, but he's wearing men's sizes and has to have separate insoles and is extremely picky about fit. For DD, I spend between $20 and $50. These are for their main shoes, usually sneakers. For shoes that I consider 'supplemental' like dress shoes, sandals, flip-flops, etc., I try to spend less than $30 and really I don't like spending more than $20 if I can help it.

I usually buy my kids 2 pairs of higher end shoes a year - athletic shoes in the fall, sandals in the spring (although I skipped this year because both of their sandals from last year still fit). Both need to be really good walking/hiking shoes. I buy myself goes shoes to walk in and can't tolerate cheap shoes either, and we are on the go often. I usually spend $40-$80 a pair.

That said, if they need dress shoes or other shoes for some reason, I go as cheap as possible.

I try to keep it under $50. I usually wait until piperlime has s sale, then I buy my ds nice sneakers, usually for 35-40. I bought him some nice dress shoes at the nordstrom anniversary sale for $38, then he has a pair of vans for $30.

My twins have see Kai run shoes, great for first walkers, those are $42. I also got some dress shoes for my daughter at target for $12.

I bought myself and the kids toms this summer, we loved them! (I even got tiny toms for the twins, adorable!)

Just think toms are like charity, the one for one thing is awesome!

I never tried to economize on the quality of my dc's shoes. I don't mean I spent money for fashion, but I did spend for well constructed shoes. When they were little, it was Stride Rite; now, at age 11, they are both in adult sizes, usually New Balance, because they come in wide sizes and the web site has info on what last model is used for each shoe. I also like Lands End for casual slip ons, plus we buy shoes for dressed up occasions.

I tend to agree with one of the pps that bad shoes could hurt kids feet. I will, however, buy cheapo clothes for play. But I may be influenced by the fact that each of my dc had, when they were toddlers, custom shoe inserts at $600 per kid per year.

The shoes really add up: sneakers, track, soccer, basketball, slip ons, hiking boots, snow boots, dressy.... at least my dc don't outgrow their clothes as fast as when they were little.

Edited by Alessandra

I don't think those prices are unreasonable at all for children's shoes. I think Tom's are cute, and I do love the charitable aspect, but I've never bought them because I wasn't sure they would hold up for very long.

I buy New Balance and Nike running shoes for the boys and Stride Rite when they are younger. Payless has a brand that is good in a pinch and the name is escaping me at the moment. They come in a yellow box. They aren't as durable as Stride Rite though and I always wind up spending as much in the long run because they go through two or three pairs a season.

I get pretty good deals on their shoes though because I shop the clearance rack at the base exchange. I paid under ten bucks for the Nike's my 8yo just grew into. Granted, I bought them a year or so ago when they were on clearance, but he grew into them eventually!

If you buy winter crocs, be sure you buy a pair that can be washed. I have never smelled anything so awful as a pair of lined crocs after two weeks of wear. The orthopedist told that child that crocs had ruined his feet and after several sets of casts, followed by shoe inserts, I don't have to smell crocs anymore.

This won't help you much. (sorry)

My first thought was that dd17 spends inhuman amounts of money and time on her shoes. :lol: This summer when she spent a week in Talahassee for Mock Legislature in addition to 1 suit bag and 2 suitcases, she took a wheeled tote full of nothing but shoes. Right now she is drooling over the Chinese Laundry shoe catalog online. (child on the right in the picture below)

Dd20 on the other hand. :tongue_smilie: Owns two pairs of birkenstocks and spends all her time on campus bare foot. I had to take her out to buy good boots to take to Rome and to wear in Germany in the winter. (child on the left in the picture below - she has changed though, right now she has short blue hair in a pixie cut, a nose ring and is wearing contacts.)

Just bought new running shoes for our boys today at Kohls. They are Nike and were on sale for $35/each. *ouch* Of course flip flops and croc style shoes we'll spend far less for, but for winter boots and tennis shoes I try and get quality shoes that have the support they need for their feet.

For myself? BOGO at Payless... funny how that works right?

They get more expensive as they get older! This year:

Ds15: running shoes $100. 2x per year. Dress shoes $20 (used). Flip flops $25(they MUST be from American Eagle you know!). Shoes to wear with pants in fall $65. So, $310? yikes!

Ds13: running shoes $100. 2x per year. Dress shoes are hand me downs. Flip flops are hand me downs. Shoes to wear wth jeans $60 ( they are different than older ds). Baseball shoes $75. $335 per year?

Ds11: sneakers are hand me downs. Flip flops are hand me downs. Dress shoes are hand me downs. Baseball shoes are hand me downs. $0 per y ear.

Dd5: all hand me downs from a friend. So, $0 per year.

eTA: forgot boots. So add another $100 for ds 1. Those get passed on whether they like them ornnot.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

For my boys (10 & 6), for good fall/winter shoes and boots, I aim for about $50 each pair (at least one pair of sneakers and one pair of weather-proof boots, though usually at least one of them has a growth spurt and I have to buy another set of each). For the summer? Crocs are $35ish, Target has sandals for $20ish and they are good to go.

I've never needed to pay more than $50 for a pair of shoes for any of us, and even that is rare. I shop at Rack Room Shoes which has decent prices and is always buy one pair and get 2nd pair 50% off. Do you have something similar nearby? They are online too, but I hate buying shoes online.

Oh, dd19 and her boyfriend live in their Toms! I'm thinking of buying a pair for myself.

I never spend more then $20 on my kids' shoes. Of course I have only boys, maybe that makes a difference? They could care less about brands. Phew.

They go through shoes SO fast that its pointless to spend a ton of money on them. I once got nicer quality shoes for them, and they wore down to holes in the toes just as fast as the cheaper shoes did. lol

So I either shop sales, Walmart, Payless (BOGO is great!). Or even second hand stores, yard sales, etc. :)

I just got new shoes for my oldest four and spent $60. They were at Walmart but my boys LOVE them. :)

I usually spend a lot on my daughter's shoes. I don't believe in buying cheap shoes. Too many adults have foot problems. I had to have my foot operated on when I was in high school and I don't want her to have foot issues when she gets older. Flip flops are the worst. You can google and find many articles from foot doctors talking about how poorly made shoes' date=' especially flip flops, are causing more and more foot problems. I also heard that it is not good to share shoes. Something about the shoes forming to the foot of the first child that wears them, then the next child's foot can not fit properly.

I am very happy, though, to find last year's model on clearance! :)[/quote']

My boys don't wear their cheap shoes long enough to hurt their feet though. lol They wear out too fast. They are very hard on their shoes!

Mostly they run around without shoes anyway. ;)

I think shoes are one of those products where you tend to get what you pay for. I don't pay for logos and labels, but I will pay for better materials and higher quality (sometimes those are associated with certain brands, but not always). I'd rather have a few good pairs of shoes than several cheap pairs of shoes, generally speaking. My son is fine with this; my daughter is in a different place on this issue ;)

Also, I have small feet and often wear sizes in the kids' department. I have a number of nieces and nephews, plus my son, so whomever is wearing the same or approximate size as I am will have more money spent on his or her shoes. I know they'll outgrow them before they get all pre-formed to the kids' feet, so I buy what I want to inherit :D When they get to my size, everyone gets new Chucks and Vans for their birthday. It's a family joke that started more than ten years ago with my youngest sister and has just carried on. I have quite the collection LOL, and some of my shoes are older than my kids (straight from high school, baby!)

I don't make the kids share shoes because favorite and well-worn pairs get so molded to the wearer's feet. I think it can be bad for posture and alignment. They can share if they want, especially dress and occasion shoes, but I'm willing and preferring to buy new shoes as needed -at the highest quality available.

I like to buy high quality shoes as well, so I don't think $50 is out of line. My kids are young yet, 6 and almost 3, so we still go through lots of sizes. For little kids I like nice flexible soles and the right width (dd is narrow, ds is wide). I have a few brands that are my favorite toddler/little kid shoes and usually wait until I find those on sale and buy a few pairs in a couple sizes up. That helps keep the prices down. I've done well for girl shoes at Marshalls (outlet store). They get some good brands mixed in with some I would never buy. My favorite online store is 6pm.com . I've gotten great deals on nice kids shoes (and some for myself). It helps if you've bought the brand before so you are familiar with the sizing.

DD12

Merrill tennis shoes that are water proof $80 on sale, they were $120. He school has out door recess 3x a day.

Merrill tennis shoes-light weight for PE $45 (were $80)

Toms :001_smile: $25 were $50.

So, in the past month $150.

add to that spring-summer shoes....about $250 per year.

Ds16

Tennis shoes $50 on sale.

Dress shoes $50 on sale.

DD4

I buy her shoes like new at a second hand store because she goes through about 3 pair per season. She plays hard and is very tough on shoes. Even at the cheaper prices I still pay about $100+ per year on her for used shoes. Then I throw in a couple pair of new shoes, so I would say $150-200. She is 4 but wears a size 1 in big kids, so what she doesn't ruin she out grows, quickly.

I usually spend about $35-40 for DD's primary every day tennis shoes. Dress shoes/sandals, I look for sales & clearance shoes that are $20 or less.

But for DS, I've been buying the most inexpensive decently made shoes I can get my hands on. At one month short of 5, he's wearing a size 2 shoe. He's been growing out of shoes much faster than he can wear them out since he was about 8 months old.

His clothes, oddly enough, are a different issue altogether. He's been in a size 5 pants for over a year. At first they were big around the waist, but he needed a 5 for the length. Then they were the right length, but I had to let the button hole elastic all the way out & they were starting to get a little snug around the middle. Now they only fit around his waist when the elastic is at its smallest point, and a few pairs of his long pants are starting to look a bit like high waters. He just grows funny, I guess.