Menu

How mcuh frosting do you use?

How thick is your frosting?  

1. 1. How thick is your frosting?

• Paper thin.
    • About 1/4 inch thick.
    • About 1/2 inch thick.
    • Other :)

Seriously... I have been looking at cake photos and that all seem to have paper thin (almost crumb layer thinness) frosting layers.

I buy frosting in a can about once a year, maybe. I love making my own frosting.

On the back of the cans it says there is enough for a 2 layer 9" cake. :blink: I think I would use like 3 of them on a two layer cake. If I am stingy with the frosting. Which I am not. Hence this thread.

So how thick do you make your frosting on a cake? I like good thick layers of frosting! :D

I have no idea how thick it is. When I buy a tub of frosting (once per year, because dh always requests German chocolate cake on his birthday and I'm not making that frosting from scratch) I use one tub on a 2-layer cake; however, it's only enough to frost between the layers and the top layer. There isn't any left over to frost the sides.

On a side note, I think there is less frosting in the can than there used to be. I opened one today (it's dh's bday) and I swear the frosting stopped a full inch from the top of the container. It didn't seem like there was as much frosting as usual.

It depends on the type of frosting. If I've made a stabilized whipped cream frosting, I'll frost it pretty deep since it's light. If I'm frosting with a nice buttercream or ganache or something, it'll be about 1/4" deep. If I'm frosting a cake with canned frosting or frosting made from Crisco, I'll frost it paper thin because I hate the flavor.

It depends on the type of frosting. If I've made a stabilized whipped cream frosting, I'll frost it pretty deep since it's light. If I'm frosting with a nice buttercream or ganache or something, it'll be about 1/4" deep. If I'm frosting a cake with canned frosting or frosting made from Crisco, I'll frost it paper thin because I hate the flavor.

I have been looking for a good whipped cream frosting. Care to share yours? :)

I use the smallest amount that covers the cake, so 1 can is plenty for a boxed cake mix. Frosting is just too sweet. Even with homemade I frost lightly. There's MORE than enough sugar in the cake. I think it's a sin to frost brownies.

For what it's worth, this is our favorite filling (for a boxed white cake).

It's a cannoli filling which we LOVE because you don't have to make it too sweet. However, the frosting recipe makes WAY to much frosting. I know they are giving you enough to decorate (I've made this a dozen times, and have never decorated it like in the photo.) but that is a LOT of frosting.

We also like to buy cakes at the Asian bakery because they're a lot less sweet.

Edited by KungFuPanda

About a quarter inch of buttercream beyond the crumb coat. Anything fluffy and light is deeper. Whipped genache is about the same as buttercream, poured is thinner...

Really, the only time I'd use less than a quarter inch of buttercream would be if I was covering it with fondant.

I use the smallest amount that covers the cake, so 1 can is plenty for a boxed cake mix. Frosting is just too sweet. Even with homemade I frost lightly. There's MORE than enough sugar in the cake. think it's a sin to frost brownies.

:iagree: I can't stand eating frosting even if homemade, so I use the thinnest of layers, or I frost 1/4 inch and then scrape the cake out of my piece and let my kids have my frosting.

Cake is just a reason to eat frosting! Since I don't eat the cake part, I think frosting should just be served by itself with a spoon.

:ack2: (Can you tell I'm not a big fan of icing? :lol:)

You would like a local cookie/cupcake place near us. We went in one day & they now serve 'icing shooters'. It's basically just icing in what looks to be those plastic communion cups. LOL. They're 50 cents & apparently they appeal to the teens (& preteens) who hang around there & the yogurt shop next door.

DD just finished a cake decorating class this week at the crafts store. She agrees with me: decorating is fun, but we really don't like crisco or canned icing. Homemade buttercream is nice, in small amounts. We'd both prefer just buttercream piped flowers on a plain cake. :)

Now that I think about it, I used to love my mom's cream cheese frosting. Maybe we should try that...

Seriously... I have been looking at cake photos and that all seem to have paper thin (almost crumb layer thinness) frosting layers.

I buy frosting in a can about once a year, maybe. I love making my own frosting.

On the back of the cans it says there is enough for a 2 layer 9" cake. :blink: I think I would use like 3 of them on a two layer cake. If I am stingy with the frosting. Which I am not. Hence this thread.

So how thick do you make your frosting on a cake? I like good thick layers of frosting! :D

For a 2 layer cake, I have to spread kind of thin in the middle and top to get good coverage on the sides. I use one can per cake. Now if it's a 9x12 I still use one can and it goes on THICK. :D

:iagree:

I have been looking for a good whipped cream frosting. Care to share yours? :)

I use a vanilla pudding packet (instant) and either coolwhip if I am in a hurry or whipped cream if I have time. It is simple and YUMMY! I put a good two inches on top of my cakes!