Menu

What subjects challenge your child(ren)?

Mommy22alyns

Rebecca is finding things pretty easy in math & LA. She is challenged by CLE's speed drills for addition and subtraction (oddly, she's fastest at multiplication). We've got a couple of logic workbooks and that always makes her think hard. And Latin is challenging.

Right now Sylvia's finding everything pretty easy, almost too easy.

What about your kid(s)?

For dd12 (officially an 8th grader)

Latin

Recorder

All other subjects because I finally got the difficulty level high enough!

For ds10 (officially a 6th grader)

Piano

History (due to the writing parts)

Anything that involves putting pencil to paper

For ds7 ( 2nd grade)

Piano

All other subjects are at interesting but not overwhelming level. He is happy and so am I.

The material you are using is fairly standard and not challenging if a child is paying attention and able to work at level. Some of the material that we've found to challenge are

-MCT English material

-CPO science includes good critical thinking ideas/activities

-IEW for writing, a level above recommended age if necessary

-real books for history that allow for comparisons between societies and time periods better than textbooks

For DS6 it's stamina in mental math (adding two double-digit numbers in his head). He can do four or five without trouble, but then he starts getting tired and can't keep track from one step to the next. He has no trouble with the concepts, it's just the stamina. I've decided it's a maturity issue and am spreading the worksheets I know will tired him out over two days instead of one.

For DD4 it's focus, maybe? During reading lessons she gets distracted between each word, by whatever's handy. But she *is* four.

DS 1 isn't really challenged by any particular subject, he just tends to lose it when he's asked to dig into something new/slightly difficult--anything he can't "get" at pretty much first glance. :glare: Some days that's math; yesterday it was Latin (where he swore up and down that he'd never be able to say a phrase correctly; today when we went over it in memory work, he was fine.) It's all drama right now.

DS 2--it's too early to tell for sure, but I'm seeing some of the same leanings with him. I think they've both inherited a bit of a perfectionist streak.

All of the stuff we do is rigorous thus far and he is learning for sure but he is most challenged by Spanish.

Math, History and Science are too much fun to seem hard to him even when he is working hard. Spelling is easy for him no matter the challenge level.

Also, his handwriting is not very good. We are working on it.

All subjects.

We simply choose curriculum that ensures they ARE challenged.

(after the public school boredom, this is actually the reason we homeschool)

:iagree: This is the route we're trying to follow. We're almost there in math (I don't think it will *really* be challenging until we get into upper math, but parts of our current math are challenging, and that's the best we can do while still building a good foundation). The physical act of writing is challenging, but that's getting better. Since he's only 2nd grade and is a perfectionist, I'm not challenging him in every area yet, but in a few years, we should be there.

Right now reading is the most challenging. Math was very challenging, in a good way, but we just started back so there is review work for now. Hopefully it picks up soon. Perhaps it is good though as his reading program just significantly increased in intensity. I love his persistence though, even though it is hard, he is taking joy in accomplishing it and seeing what he can do--- and that is why we hs. I'm so proud of him!

Challenge in the sense of "It's hard, so I don't want to do it unless you make me"-Copywork.

Challenge in the sense of "I like doing it, but my results aren't always up to my personal expectations"-drawing and creative writing.

Challenge in the sense of "It's fun, 'cause it's hard"-IP (and other "fun math"), Logic, Greek and Latin, sometimes grammar.

History, literature, and science don't seem to challenge as much to inspire, if they're at the right level.

Outside of the house, gymnastics and sometimes dance.

Edited by dmmetler

Latin Prep. It was the hardest thing that Calvin did: keeping all the different grammar points in his head while he translated from English to Latin. I don't recommend starting LP until age nine at the earliest though, and ten is usually a better age.

More generally, I moved things forward or broadened the curriculum to allow for appropriate challenge; I didn't pay much attention to recommended grade levels.

Laura

Laura

For my youngest, phonics has been the biggest challenge. She is now finishing R&S 1 and will start phonics 2 this week. That will be refreshing for her, because it will start back at the beginning, then go through it all again at a slightly quicker pace. I am hoping yr 2, being her 2nd trip through all of the rules will be slightly less challenging for her this year actually.

For dd9, writing descriptively seems to be her biggest challange lately. She is a literal thinker, and likes to get things done. So writing with flourish is not her thing. She, at this time, says she wants to be an author, so hopefully that is inspiration for her to keep working at it.

All subjects.

We simply choose curriculum that ensures they ARE challenged.

(after the public school boredom, this is actually the reason we homeschool)

So (and I might need to spin this off into its own thread) how do you appropriately challenge a child who is maybe halfway above grade level? For example, third grade math comes easy but fourth grade would be too much. How do you go halfway? [And I am not changing math programs!]

Is it easier to challenge when they're older?

Spelling for my son. Nothing is *hard* for him in one sense, he's actually very good at spelling but he's got some sort of auditory processing issue and it just torture sometimes to have to work through a couple of pages of Apples and Pears. BUT, it works really well for him.

My daughter's big challenge is math. Again, she's good at math but it pushes her like nothing else.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Do you mean where do our child have relative difficulty with basic work in a subject, or where do we challenge them with advanced material because they are adept?

Bill

Good question. I took it to mean, what is challenging to our children, meaning what seems to be their biggest challenge right now.

If I was going to answer what do I give to my children to challenge them, I would go with SOTW because it is open ended and they have to write narrations as opposed to picking answers from a multiple choice.

Reading good books and discussing as opposed to a reading program in elementary.

And I would still have to go with R&S phonics for my youngest. She can read well on a 2nd grade level. We could go with an easier program for phonics, but I really want the thorough-ness (I just made that word up!) of R&S. I want her to get the ins and outs.

Dictation for my oldest. We just increase the length and what kind of things I am including as she masters the level on which we have been working.

And Latin is challenging. I think a foreign language is a wonderful challenge. It was for me as a child.

So basically, I guess I think using WTM as a guide and aiming for a classical education is challening and allows me to increase their workload or the level of work they are doing as we go, expecting from each as much as they are capable of giving as opposed to just finishing a curriculum each year.

It depends on the day. A month ago, writing was a nightmarish struggle. Now we're zipping through a week's worth of work in 2 days and it's still easy. Sometimes it's math, but most consistently it's reading. I think Ariel has a convergence issue, but the appointment with the ophthalmologist isn't until the end of September and that was the first available date he had. We keep plugging away, anyway, and try not to get too frustrated.

So (and I might need to spin this off into its own thread) how do you appropriately challenge a child who is maybe halfway above grade level? For example, third grade math comes easy but fourth grade would be too much. How do you go halfway? [And I am not changing math programs!]

Is it easier to challenge when they're older?

Ariel is this way in several things. We skip ahead to where she's challenged and go from there. Probably the easiest thing is to do half of each lesson until it starts to become difficult, then slow down, even if it means you have to buy the next level of your curriculum halfway through the year.