Menu

Beauty experts: Mascara on bottom lashes or no?

Do you apply mascara to your bottom eyelashes  

1. 1. Do you apply mascara to your bottom eyelashes

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't wear mascara, but I like voting in polls.

I think it depends on the natural color of your eyelashes. Mine are very light, practically blonde, and I would look strange with mascara only on the upper lashes.

Mine are blond as well - I dont' have any visible lashes without mascara.

I think it may have more to do with whether there are dark circles under the eyes.... I've heard that people without natural dark circles can get away with bottm lash mascara. I - on the other hand -have them and can't :)

I was taught that you put mascara on the bottom lashes only when you're attending a formal evening event. I also learned that black mascara was for night only. Otherwise, for regular day time wear, one should use nothing darker than dark brown, and only on the top lashes.

YMMV.

As you can see, there are many different and conflicting rules for mascara. As such, nearly any way you want to wear mascara goes. :tongue_smilie:

However, if you want to be current, don't follow rules you learned 10 or 20 years ago. For example, back then I learned that you don't put mascara on bottom, only top, and eyeliner can be the whole length on the top, but only on the outer half of the bottom. I don't follow these rules anymore.

I believe current trend is okay with mascara (and eyeliner) on both top and bottom, and this is what I do. I have decided that mascara only on top looks a little weird, so I do a light coat on the bottom as well. I also do a thin line of eyeliner or shadow on the bottom as well. (I don't always use black, sometimes I use colors.) Unfortunately, I do have dark circles, but I don't think it makes them look darker at all, in fact I think it (along with the rest of the eye makeup) tends to draw attention away from my dark circles (as long as I stay away from certain colors which tend to emphasize the dark circle/bruised look.)

So, the point of this long answer is that yes, mascara is okay on the bottom, but you should do what looks best for *you*.

I never pay attention to what the "experts" say I should do, so I have no idea if I'm doing it the proper way. I tend to go more with what I think looks right on me.

I apply liner and mascara to top and bottom. That's what I think looks best on me. It's not too much if done with a light hand.

I think everyone is different and should experiment until they get the look they feel is best for them.

No mascara on the bottom lashes? Are you kidding me?? :eek:

If you have lashes anywhere around your eyes, why wouldn't you use mascara on those lashes? That doesn't even make sense to me.:001_huh:

Eyeliner might make racoon eyes; mascara wouldn't. :001_huh:

I think it depends on the natural color of your eyelashes. Mine are very light, practically blonde, and I would look strange with mascara only on the upper lashes.

Yep, if I don't wear mascara top & bottom, you can't tell I have eyelashes! It's pretty silly. If you have lovely, dark, thick, lashes, you night not need to wear it on the bottom ones, but I sure do. I've tried not putting eyeliner & mascara on the bottom and it does not work for me.

I saw on a make-over show recently that you shouldn't put mascara on your bottom eyelashes. "You don't want raccoon eyes!" This was news to me, as I've been doing upper and lowers since I first learned to apply makeup (granted, that was in the 80's, when styles were a bit different ;)).

So what's the current trend? Yea or nay?

I always got raccoon eyes doing that. Then I tried using L'Oreal Beauty Tubes mascara. That stuff does NOT run. EVER.

So, I was happy with that for a while, but then I read Inès de la Fressange's book and she insisted that French/Parisian women never wear mascara on the bottom. She is my style icon, so.... I stopped doing that.

I realize now that she was right. The bottom lash mascara made my eyes look smaller and my crow's feet more noticeable. I think it looks fresher and younger to just do the upper lashes.

FWIW, I have pretty skimpy lashes. I do sometimes lightly line the lower lashes using powder and a fine angle eyeliner brush.

I was taught that you put mascara on the bottom lashes only when you're attending a formal evening event. I also learned that black mascara was for night only. Otherwise, for regular day time wear, one should use nothing darker than dark brown, and only on the top lashes.

YMMV.

That's what I was taught, but even then I only do the outside 1/3. Not having any evening events to attend, I do tops only. It looks wrong on me to do the bottoms during the day.