Menu

Poll: How close do you live to your parents? (distance calculator link inside)

How close do you live to your parents?  

1. 1. How close do you live to your parents?

• We live in the same town or less than an hour away
    • more than 100 miles away
    • more than 200 miles away
    • 300-500 miles away
    • 501-1,500 miles away
    • 1,501-3,000 miles away
    • 3,001-5,000 miles away
    • more than 5,001 miles away
    • I don't know or we have no contact or my parents are no longer living
    • other

We have four generations in my house. My mom and grandmother live in our (very nice) basement. That's also where the company operates from. It's AWESOME. Our running joke is that we're like the Walton's. My grandmother is hard of hearing, though, so it sounds like this:

Me: Good night, mom.

Mom: Good night, Erin. Good night, Toot and Tank!

Toot and Tank: Good night, Nanny. Good night, Granny!

Mom: Mom, the kids said good night. Mom?

Me: GOOD NIGHT, NANNY!

(sigh ...)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My father is no longer living, but my dear elderly mother lives with us in our home. That is just about as close as you can get to living near your parent! As another poster mentioned, we have a multi-generational home because of g-ma, dh and I, and our dd. It is a blessing to all of us every day. Dh's parents are both deceased, so this is it for us.

The furthest I've ever lived from my parents was about 200 miles, then for many years it was more like 20-30 miles away.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I voted 3001 to 5000 because that is what is true for most of our family -- 4800 miles and change.

But we are 5700 and change from my dad.

When we lived in the US we were 66 miles from most of our family; 740 from where my dad lived when we lived in the US; 940 from where he lives now (if we were to move back to the same area when we return to the US).

My mom and sister (they live together) live about 3 miles away. In-laws are about 550 miles away. We live on what I call a compound - not really, but that is what we call it. My dh's brother and family live next door, dh's 2 sisters (who live together) live across the street, our nephew and his wife (from next door brother) live right down the road. It is a traditional subdivision - I just call it a compound. We bought the house across the street and rent it out. Hopefully one day - one of our kids will live in it. My greatest fear is my younger two kids moving away. My oldest son died in Alaska - where he was stationed in the military. My dh knows how much I fear that, so he decided to buy that house across the street. We are placing an offer on another house in the neighborhood tomorrow!