Menu

Disney World is $300 for a family of four???

Gulp. I had no idea.

We're taking a trip in Oct. to the new Florida Legoland and though that since we're already down there that a day in the Magic Kingdom would be fun.

$300 worth of fun for one day?

I don't know that we can swing that. Does anyone know how to get a discount or four?

TIA!

Alley

The real "deals" (in quotes because WDW is really never a deal!), come when you stay a long time. It is much "cheaper" per day when you are buying 10 day passes. And, if you are lucky enough to be able to travel during free dining - even better!

My family is real Disney fans. We'll be in LA for a couple days and we've decided that it's just not worth it to spend the money on tickets to Disneyland. I wish I could go!!!!

Gulp. I had no idea.

We're taking a trip in Oct. to the new Florida Legoland and though that since we're already down there that a day in the Magic Kingdom would be fun.

$300 worth of fun for one day?

I don't know that we can swing that. Does anyone know how to get a discount or four?

TIA!

Alley

Is that *just* for park admission? No meals, no hotel stay, nothing else? Yikes!!

Are you going at the beginning of October? If so, Disney Homeschool Days are going on then. If you register, you can get discounted tickets and get the nutrition class on Oct 3 included in the price. Otherwise, you pay $29 per class. The ticket packages are discounted, and significantly so if you are buying a multiday pass. Adult tickets for a 1 day pass is $71.43 but tax is included. The multiday passes can save you HUNDREDS of dollars though (we are saving over $100 per person and there are seven of us). Plus you get a class.

You can also look at the Disney Youth Education Individual Enrollment to see if they have a date open for sometime while you are there. Those classes are $29 a person, but you can get the same discounted ticket packages. There are some really cool looking classes. It's still a great deal if you are buying multi-day passes, but not as much if you are just getting a one day pass.

Here is the website for more info.

Are you going at the beginning of October? If so, Disney Homeschool Days are going on then. If you register, you can get discounted tickets and get the nutrition class on Oct 3 included in the price. Otherwise, you pay $29 per class. The ticket packages are discounted, and significantly so if you are buying a multiday pass. Adult tickets for a 1 day pass is $71.43 but tax is included. The multiday passes can save you HUNDREDS of dollars though (we are saving over $100 per person and there are seven of us). Plus you get a class.

You can also look at the Disney Youth Education Individual Enrollment to see if they have a date open for sometime while you are there. Those classes are $29 a person, but you can get the same discounted ticket packages. There are some really cool looking classes. It's still a great deal if you are buying multi-day passes, but not as much if you are just getting a one day pass.

:iagree: We went to Disney Homeschool Days in January. Our 5-day passes were nearly half off the regular price of admission.

We'll be there Oct. 12 to Oct. 15 -- what are the official homeschool days at Disney World?

Alley

Here is what we did to help cut costs.. (disclaimer.. my husband is Cheap with a capital C and this will not work with a lot of men.)

In Florida, there are time share presentations everywhere and they will give you 2 adult tickets to WDW. And get you discounted children's tickets. The presentations are long (like 1.5 -2 hours) but you can bring the kids and they feed you all breakfast. My husband and I figure that we are getting $50 an hour to sit there and make chitchat($200 worth of tickets for our collective 4 hours). We did it 3 times when we were there three years ago(only 1 child and we took a portable DVD player for her) and got tickets to WDW, Epcot and Sea World-bought a child's ticket and we were good to go. They are usually first thing in the morning and you are still to the parks by 10:30ish(and when we went they opened at 10) so really not bad. You do have to be able to repeatedly say NO.. LOL

Like I said... it's not for everyone.. but we think it's fun.. LOL

The Homeschool days sounds intriguing too.. I'd never even heard of such a thing..

Hope you have a fun trip!

I love, LOVE Disney, but I don't think it is worth it to go for 1 day only, financially speaking.

Last year they ran a promotion where if the family did a day of volunteer service, they got a day of park tickets. You might wait for a promotion like that to come along again.

Disney is a lot of fun and can be worth the money if your kids love fast rides and are tall enough for most of them. My older kids (11 and 9) at the time are ride maniacs and had a great time, but there were several rides my then 9year couldn't ride on. That was a big disappointment. My other kids either didn't want to go on the rides or were too short. Then it's just a lot of waiting around.

If you're just going for 1 day, you might be in long lines for the most popular ones if you wait til later in the day to go on those. If you have an extra day or two, at least you'll know the lay of the land and go to the popular/best ones first.

Disney Homeschool Days??? Is the discount different, and better, than the normal discount you get for several day tickets? In other words, would I get a better price than I do when I buy 7 - 10 day tickets? When are these days? How do you find out about them?

I am excited and intrigued!!!

7 day hopper passes with Homeschool Days is $180 a person (tax included already). A regular 7 day hopper pass is $322.00 PLUS tax.

The biggest package you can get is an 8 day premium package (includes 8 days of waterparks as well as 8 day hopper pass) is $201.17. The equivalent regular ticket is $385.00 plus tax.

Yeah...it's a HUGE savings, esp for a large family. And you can always do an individual registration youth education series class (year-round) if you can't make it on Homeschool Days but it costs $29/person per class. Still could work out to be an awesome deal.

Here's the website: http://www.disneyyouth.com/home-school-days/

7 day hopper passes with Homeschool Days is $180 a person (tax included already). A regular 7 day hopper pass is $322.00 PLUS tax.

The biggest package you can get is an 8 day premium package (includes 8 days of waterparks as well as 8 day hopper pass) is $201.17. The equivalent regular ticket is $385.00 plus tax.

Yeah...it's a HUGE savings, esp for a large family. And you can always do an individual registration youth education series class (year-round) if you can't make it on Homeschool Days but it costs $29/person per class. Still could work out to be an awesome deal.

Thanks, MandyMom!!!! I've been wanting to take my kids to Disney and I just couldn't get myself to feel good about it. Maybe this is what I was holding out for! Awesome!

We'll be there Oct. 12 to Oct. 15 -- what are the official homeschool days at Disney World?

Alley

It's the first week of October, but there is an Individual Enrollment Youth Education Series class for kids 12-17 on Oct 14 that is still open. And if you have a child 13 years or older, they can attend by themselves as long as the parents are in the park, and you only have to pay for 1 person to attend the class but everyone in the immediate family can get tickets at the discounted rate (up to 6 kids).

Edited by mandymom

Yeah, you won't get any bargains for a one day admission, generally. After you buy the 5 day park hopper, it's only $5 per person for each additional day. We try and go to Disney World once a year and never stay less than 10 days. On our last trip (in March), we stayed for 12 days at Pop Century resort (deal at $82 per night...rack rate is $134), paid for the dining plan (which cost more than our room, lol), had two free airline tickets and it still ended up costing around $6,000 (including souvenirs, etc.). It isn't cheap, but it's fun! :D

If you can only fit in one day - I'd recommend going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Although the party starts at 7pm they will let you enter earlier in the afternoon (verify this when you get your tickets). The park is so much less crowded during these events - and the lines are not long! It can definitely be a better bargain time and money wise. You can usually do more than you could do then visiting during the daytime.

On a side note - I thought Legoland was opening on the 15th of Oct. (or is that just a Grand Opening?) Are they opening earlier?

We went to the Disney Homeschool Days last year and I think we paid $160 per person for 5 day park hopper tickets. We had a blast.

Hi, Berta! I hope you are still on - or if not someone else knows the answer...

I am really excited about these homeschool days. On a 7 day ticket for our family of 5 it will save us $400!!!

But I wanted to know...how much time out of the day do you have to attend this class? Is this an all-day thing? Do you have to go through the park as a group on a tour? How much time in the day will we have to just enjoy the parks as a family?

I want to do this, but I don't want to rush into it and miss the "fine print". I mean a savings of $400 has to have some fine print somewhere, right?

I agree with the pp about going for the Halloween party. At your boys ages, it won't be too scary and you will be able to ride without lines. It is from 7pm- midnight, but they will let you in at 4pm. Your kids can dress up and trick-or-treat, too.

Do you have tickets to a pre-opening at Legoland?

I just have to say that the whole Homeschool Days thing got me totally excited lol. I turned to DH and told him and he's like, that's nice. :)

(That said, I have had a Disney Vacation planning DVD for quite some time, even though we aren't going for at least another year :D - and I had one before that, too. I absolutely love Disney World... )

I am really excited about these homeschool days. On a 7 day ticket for our family of 5 it will save us $400!!!

But I wanted to know...how much time out of the day do you have to attend this class? Is this an all-day thing? Do you have to go through the park as a group on a tour? How much time in the day will we have to just enjoy the parks as a family?

I want to do this, but I don't want to rush into it and miss the "fine print". I mean a savings of $400 has to have some fine print somewhere, right?

I'm not Berta, but I can say that when we attended in January, we went to a presentation regarding Disney's release of Big Cats. It didn't last more than an hour to an hour and a half. There was a general presentation about the big cats at Animal Kingdom with the care takers and trainers and a presentation about the movie. Then they took time for Q & A with the kids. As a homeschool mom, you won't be surprised to hear that all of the kids were well spoken and articulate, including my son :D. Once the presentation is over, you're done. You're free to go and explore with your family.

Really, there is no 'catch'. As I said in my previous post, our family of 4 saved nearly *half* on 5 day tickets (we do one park/day, not park hoppers). They do homeschool days in January and October, when they're not getting much traffic from families that have kids in school.

Have fun!

Just so you know, homeschool days are typically the last week in Sept/first week in Oct and than again the 3rd week or so of January.

BUT, there is a group called Carolina Homeschoolers and they do another homeschool group, this year it is the 2nd week of November.

You don't have to be in S or N Carolina to go through them,there are folks from Canada utilizing the group this year.

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/atravel.html

Another thing to consider: The passes for the Homeschool days are not limited to the exact week. They are good the week before and the week after as well. You will miss out on the class, but you can still use the tickets. Just know that once you activate them, they have to be used within the next 14 days.

As far as food: Disney does allow you to take food into the parks with you if you wish to. Since food is about $45 just for lunch for the 5 of us, we often take in a packed lunch and snacks.

We do Disney every year and we do it on the cheap.....it is the only way I can convince DH to go every year! :D

Dawn

Was your 9 year old small?

My 7 year old was able to ride everything this last May when we went. He was finally tall enough for Rockin' Roller Coaster and was so excited! He rode it about 8 times!

Dawn

Disney is a lot of fun and can be worth the money if your kids love fast rides and are tall enough for most of them. My older kids (11 and 9) at the time are ride maniacs and had a great time, but there were several rides my then 9year couldn't ride on. That was a big disappointment. My other kids either didn't want to go on the rides or were too short. Then it's just a lot of waiting around.

If you're just going for 1 day, you might be in long lines for the most popular ones if you wait til later in the day to go on those. If you have an extra day or two, at least you'll know the lay of the land and go to the popular/best ones first.

Another thing to consider: The passes for the Homeschool days are not limited to the exact week. They are good the week before and the week after as well. You will miss out on the class, but you can still use the tickets. Just know that once you activate them, they have to be used within the next 14 days.

There was verbiage in the agreements you had to check off when you registered online that you had to attend the class or your tickets would be revoked. I don't know how closely they follow this policy, but it WAS in the agreement.

Edited by mandymom

Oh my gosh! I am so all over this homeschool day thing! Wow!

I hope someone is still up that knows this answer - Do you have to stay on Disney property to get this deal on the tickets? Or is the only requirement to attend the class?

I just can't believe, nor can my dh believe, that you can save $400 on tickets and not at least have to stay on property.

Anyone know?

I am so excited, I'm about to be super impulsive and JUMP on this deal!!!!

Oh my gosh! I am so all over this homeschool day thing! Wow!

I hope someone is still up that knows this answer - Do you have to stay on Disney property to get this deal on the tickets? Or is the only requirement to attend the class?

I just can't believe, nor can my dh believe, that you can save $400 on tickets and not at least have to stay on property.

Anyone know?

I am so excited, I'm about to be super impulsive and JUMP on this deal!!!!

Anyone awake that knows this answer? I am so ready to book this thing! It's all I can think of now! Thanks, OP :glare:

Just kidding! I actually DO thank the OP for starting a thread that showed us such a great deal!

:lurk5:

:lurk5: anyone?

HA! Sorry, at some point I needed to go to BED last night!

You got your answer in the other thread, but just in case someone pulls this up in a few months for answers.....

No, you don't need to stay on-site to get this deal. These are ONLY for tickets.

Dawn

One class is included in your ticket prices. You have to pay an extra $29 for each extra class you want to attend.

If you can only fit in one day - I'd recommend going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Although the party starts at 7pm they will let you enter earlier in the afternoon (verify this when you get your tickets). The park is so much less crowded during these events - and the lines are not long! It can definitely be a better bargain time and money wise. You can usually do more than you could do then visiting during the daytime.

On a side note - I thought Legoland was opening on the 15th of Oct. (or is that just a Grand Opening?) Are they opening earlier?

With all WDW party tickets, you can enter the park at 4pm. 4pm-midnight is long enough to see most of the "must-sees" and enjoy some party effects, like HalloWishes.

Yep. It's "cheaper" to stay longer. We are going for 2 weeks (10 day MYW passes) and it will cost us about $750 for 2 adults and 1 child, just for tickets.

We also got Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets. $60 a person. :glare:

Now, I can't believe Universal is so pricey!!

It's $125 (?) for a 2 day pass!! UGH. I don't want to spend the extra money on them, but I WANT to see Harry Potter World.

We make up for it though, by staying off-site in these REALLY NICE condos at Windsor Hills. We stay in a 3 BR, with my 3 person family, my mom and my aunt. The Condo is only $79 a night during low season and we split it 3 ways!! So, only $450 for us, for a 2 week stay!! Then, we can make lots of meals at the Condo. I'd say eating out/eating in, is about half and half.

No fine print and no catch! We didn't make the class, my daughter woke up not feeling good and we thought we would be losing the entire day. By afternoon she was feeling better and we were able to go to the park. I'm planning another trip for their homeschool days in 2013.

No fine print and no catch! We didn't make the class, my daughter woke up not feeling good and we thought we would be losing the entire day. By afternoon she was feeling better and we were able to go to the park. I'm planning another trip for their homeschool days in 2013.

I've heard they're cracking down on "missing class" due to abuse by people who never had any intention of making it to the class. Classes fill up and people who wanted to attend can't.

How are they going to crack down on that?

Dawn

I've heard they're cracking down on "missing class" due to abuse by people who never had any intention of making it to the class. Classes fill up and people who wanted to attend can't.

When are you going?

I love Disney at Christmas!

We are going the first full week of November and part of the following week and were able to find homeschool tickets.

I have been told the lights will be up by then!

Dawn

Yep. It's "cheaper" to stay longer. We are going for 2 weeks (10 day MYW passes) and it will cost us about $750 for 2 adults and 1 child, just for tickets.

We also got Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets. $60 a person. :glare:

Now, I can't believe Universal is so pricey!!

It's $125 (?) for a 2 day pass!! UGH. I don't want to spend the extra money on them, but I WANT to see Harry Potter World.

We make up for it though, by staying off-site in these REALLY NICE condos at Windsor Hills. We stay in a 3 BR, with my 3 person family, my mom and my aunt. The Condo is only $79 a night during low season and we split it 3 ways!! So, only $450 for us, for a 2 week stay!! Then, we can make lots of meals at the Condo. I'd say eating out/eating in, is about half and half.

They charge the full regular price admission ticket to the credit card you gave when you bought your tickets through the education program.

Yes, I've heard this, too. We had to check in for the presentation in January. They marked our name off a list and gave us a wristband. It would be easy enough for them to see who the no-shows are and charge their credit card accordingly.

Can you sign up for homeschool days without signing up for a class? I can't remember.

It would also encourage people to pay with prepaid cards or Disney dollars to avoid getting charged more. Hmmmm.....

Dawn

I suppose there are ways around it, but that would be unethical. That's the kind of thing that would make Disney stop offering the special altogether.

Can you sign up for homeschool days without signing up for a class? I can't remember.

It would also encourage people to pay with prepaid cards or Disney dollars to avoid getting charged more. Hmmmm.....

Dawn

We didn't sign up for any of the classes. There was just a free presentation and Q & A for homeschoolers that we attended.

It was actually pretty cool, because the kids got to ask lots of questions of the animal caretakers in Animal Kingdom. One of the things we found out was that lions go CRAZY for a certain cheap, stinky women's cologne. They use if for training purposes :D.

After researching sites and asking wtm'ers for advice....Hi Jennifer MI, we actually spent about $2500-2700 for a family of 3, but that included EVERYTHING:

Gas round trip

Meals

Lodging off site at Wyndham Buena Vista

WDW tickets

Misc....what am I forgetting?

The tickets are expensive. Don't go for 1 day. We bought 5 day passes as that's all we could afford in our accomodations, etc. We spend 1 day at the 4 WDW parks and day 5 was a make up day at one park. We did NOT spend the extra on park hopper. We did pay for parking though and at $15/day x 5 days that did total $75.00.

HTH!

I'm looking at the Disney HS Days link in another window, and it looks like the 2012 January class dates are not yet posted...or am I not seeing them?

Do you bring your birth certificate to show age for the sign ups?

OK. I just read the DIS boards. The HS Days are in Oct only. I'd go in Oct, but the Animation class is closed for Oct. Next year I'll be more on the ball. :) Cool thing to know.

Edited by LibraryLover

It is not unethical to use other ways to pay for Disney. I often use Disney rewards $$ towards tickets.

I am just wondering how they would charge those folks?

Is there anything on the YES site currently that states that they will charge if you don't attend?

I am not asking for a way for ME personally to get out of it, I am just curious as to how they plan to carry this all out and if they give fair warning.

Dawn

I suppose there are ways around it, but that would be unethical. That's the kind of thing that would make Disney stop offering the special altogether.

We didn't sign up for any of the classes. There was just a free presentation and Q & A for homeschoolers that we attended.

It was actually pretty cool, because the kids got to ask lots of questions of the animal caretakers in Animal Kingdom. One of the things we found out was that lions go CRAZY for a certain cheap, stinky women's cologne. They use if for training purposes :D.

We didn't sign up for any classes when we went either. There was the Q&A Presentation Class but nothing we signed up for ahead of time. I didn't get our tickets through Disney, we got them through our homeschool group. All we did was go to the window and pick up our tickets. The presentation was supposed to be on the second day we were there, but like I said, my daughter woke up not feeling good so we didn't get to the park until late afternoon.

I'm looking at the Disney HS Days link in another window, and it looks like the 2012 January class dates are not yet posted...or am I not seeing them?

Do you bring your birth certificate to show age for the sign ups?

OK. I just read the DIS boards. The HS Days are in Oct only. I'd go in Oct, but the Animation class is closed for Oct. Next year I'll be more on the ball. :) Cool thing to know.

They have it in January, too. They just don't release the information on dates and programs until the fall. Keep checking the Disney Homeschool Days site. Last year, I think they put the January info up *after* the October homeschool days were over.