Menu

Crib problem

Okay, I have never heard of this issue and certainly have never seen it....

My littlest two, especially the 18month old, keep getting their legs (thighs) caught in the bars of their cribs. They are big kids so no doubt that plays a part. My 3 and 4 yr olds are so skinny they couldn't get stuck of they tried.

Anyway, last night, Little Man got his leg so stuck, I couldn't get his leg out. I had the four yr old run and get my son. My son couldn't do it and he couldn't get it out with me either (like him trying to pull the bar and me lifting). So I ran to get hubby. Hubby ended up breaking the bar to free the kid!

We are not allowed to use crib bumpers but you wouldn't use them with kids these ages anyway. His sister has only gotten stuck twice to the point we had to help her out. She can usually get her leg out. But we have freed him many times.

I just don't understand! My kids didn't get stuck. I mean, yes, my kids were in toddler beds by this point, but....seriously, we make our toddler beds out of the cribs so it'd still be soemthing he could do!

Is this more common than I realized?

I hate that we had to break the crib to free him :(

ETA: We also draped blankets over the 3 sides not against the wall so he'd be less likely to do it. However, that wouldn't have been allowed just a few days ago (kids under 18mo can't have a blanket) and I've never seen or heard of parents doing so.

Okay, I have never heard of this issue and certainly have never seen it....

My littlest two, especially the 18month old, keep getting their legs (thighs) caught in the bars of their cribs. They are big kids so no doubt that plays a part. My 3 and 4 yr olds are so skinny they couldn't get stuck of they tried.

Anyway, last night, Little Man got his leg so stuck, I couldn't get his leg out. I had the four yr old run and get my son. My son couldn't do it and he couldn't get it out with me either (like him trying to pull the bar and me lifting). So I ran to get hubby. Hubby ended up breaking the bar to free the kid!

We are not allowed to use crib bumpers but you wouldn't use them with kids these ages anyway. His sister has only gotten stuck twice to the point we had to help her out. She can usually get her leg out. But we have freed him many times.

I just don't understand! My kids didn't get stuck. I mean, yes, my kids were in toddler beds by this point, but....seriously, we make our toddler beds out of the cribs so it'd still be soemthing he could do!

Is this more common than I realized?

I hate that we had to break the crib to free him :(

ETA: We also draped blankets over the 3 sides not against the wall so he'd be less likely to do it. However, that wouldn't have been allowed just a few days ago (kids under 18mo can't have a blanket) and I've never seen or heard of parents doing so.

Mine got their legs stuck like that a couple of times, but we never had to break the crib. They were/are all on the skinny/small side. Poor little guy!

Can you put him in a pack and play to sleep?

Mine got their legs stuck like that a couple of times, but we never had to break the crib. They were/are all on the skinny/small side. Poor little guy!

Can you put him in a pack and play to sleep?

yes i was going to say p&p. Our 3rd spent most of his crib time in a P&p in our closet ;)

I don't know how to keep it from happening, but I used to keep lotion in my daughter's bedroom for when she wedged her (then) chubby little thighs between the bars. They would pop right out if I slathered lotion on her. Fortunately for her, at almost-14, she no longer has those chubby, soft little legs. Sniff sniff.

Terri

I don't know how to keep it from happening, but I used to keep lotion in my daughter's bedroom for when she wedged her (then) chubby little thighs between the bars. They would pop right out if I slathered lotion on her. Fortunately for her, at almost-14, she no longer has those chubby, soft little legs. Sniff sniff.

Terri

My 3 boys all had very chubby thighs and would regularly get their legs wedged in the crib bars. We also used baby lotion to lube up the leg and squish the fat back through.

You know, one of these days, he is going to be mortified when you tell this story in front of his friends. ;)

Terri

LOL, my mom turned bright red when we told her the story. I told her it was the stuff we used for the boys' rectal thermometer, but I don't think she was convinced. :lol:

I had the same problem with all five of my kids. They kept getting legs stuck in the bars. I finally solved the problem with my youngest but getting one of those "breathable" crib bumpers. They don't have the risk of regular ones because they are just mesh and they aren't strong enough to be used to climb out. I kept it in until she was out of the crib and never again had a problem with stuck legs and arms.

Could you try thin pieces of cardboard, plywood, or plexiglass? You know - assuming you have these just laying around! What about weaving nylon strapping through the bars like a basket? Poor kids!

Any kind of jerry rigging with cribs is VERY dangerous-- I would not recommend it at all. Nylon strapping would be a strangulation risk if it ever got loose.

Why can't you use a crib bumper? This happened to my dc all the time. I took a mesh crib bumper and wove it between the bars. It was the only thing that would help.

At 18 months, I would take your dc out of the crib and use a toddler bed. Mine were calling out of a crib by 18 months:lol:. I put a gate at the door of their room to keep them contained.

Oh goodness. I've never heard anyone complain about it. I keep lamenting how somehow I got the only kids that do this. Glad that isn't true! Of course, he's driving me batty as he does it so often and then he has the highest pitch squeal of a scream.

Anyway, Tabrett, crib bumpers are illegal for foster homes.

My kids were out of cribs by 18months old. They were also *my* kids so knew I meant business by that point. But even now, I don't think I'd take a birth child, unless super easy, out so early. Maybe I'm just too old and lazy? I don't know. But there is no way on God's green earth, I'm not using a crib for this kid. I have enough trouble with the other 3 kids back there!

(btw, I have FOUR kids who don't sleep through the night. I can't have a 3, 4, or 5 yr old in a crib but if I could, I might consider it. The only one sleeping well these days is the 6month old!)

We cosleep, but when they get to the point where they *need* a bed of their own, we use exclusively pack-n-plays, for that very reason. You don't need a bumper (the sides are soft, they're not going to bump their heads), and the sides are mesh, not bars, so they can't get anything stuck. It's worked well for 4 kids so far! :D

Guest submarines

(btw, I have FOUR kids who don't sleep through the night. I can't have a 3, 4, or 5 yr old in a crib but if I could, I might consider it. The only one sleeping well these days is the 6month old!)

Do the cribs help sleep through the night? :confused: Is it becuase they feel safe in confined places? I just never thought about it.

Edited by sunflowers

Oh goodness. I've never heard anyone complain about it. I keep lamenting how somehow I got the only kids that do this. Glad that isn't true! Of course, he's driving me batty as he does it so often and then he has the highest pitch squeal of a scream.

Anyway, Tabrett, crib bumpers are illegal for foster homes.

My kids were out of cribs by 18months old. They were also *my* kids so knew I meant business by that point. But even now, I don't think I'd take a birth child, unless super easy, out so early. Maybe I'm just too old and lazy? I don't know. But there is no way on God's green earth, I'm not using a B crib for this kid. I have enough trouble with the other 3 kids back there!

I'm sorry. I didn't know about the foster child rules. If it helps you feel any better, my 4,6 and 7 year olds are horrible about going to sleep. I used to try to sit outside their rooms in the hallway till they fell asleep. This didn't work at all. I finally gave up and let them all crash in the playroom while watching tv. It became their "bedroom". It was the only way I could get some sleep because they actually stayed in the room till they fell asleep.

Unfortunately all my dc only need 9>hours of sleep, which is the same as me. I never get any down time. I know you probably can't do something like that because of foster child rules, I just thought it would help to know that you are not the only one with problem sleepers.:D

I have never heard of this happening. My son hurled himself over the top of the crib at 18 months.

Is it an old crib? I thought they were made so kids couldn't get stuck.

I think it's supposed to be their heads that can't get stuck anymore. Unless the walls were solid wood, something could get stuck if they made it so the slats had to be closer together (arms, fingers, toes)

Do the cribs help sleep through the night? :confused: Is it becuase they feel safe in confined places? I just never thought about it.

I think she means it would be easier to contain them so they couldn't go wandering about at night.

OP, both of my kids were regularly getting themselves stuck. Pigby the chubby child and Digby the skinny little peanut. Chuck is in a pack and play, so she doesn't get stuck. Once Digby's leg was threaded through the bars, his thigh was going out, his shin was going back in and his foot was out. It was the middle of the night when he started screaming and I couldn't see well and I thought his leg was broken. Oh my gosh, that was so scary. Eventually they seemed to learn. We thought about getting a crib tent, because it looks like it has a mesh covering to go around the crib. But I couldn't tell exactly and wasn't going to spend so much money on it..

I had a baby who did this a lot. We used something like this. It wasn't that but a similar idea. I can't find the one we used anymore. I also don't know if these are safe or allowed for foster kids. I felt it was safe at the time but the one we used isn't manufactured anymore so maybe it was recalled or something!

Edited by sbgrace

Every one of my kids have gotten their leg stuck in the crib. 2 of them multiple times. I swear with one of them it was a nightly occurencefor a while!! :glare: Stinker. They were all chubs. Baby lotion, vaseline or butter is a quick easy fix.

I would never use a crib bumper. I have heard they could cause SIDs and never felt like it was worth the risk. I always thought they were for decoration but maybe I am wrong...?

No crib should ever be modified. IMO it is not worth the potential (unknown) risk.

I'm still stuck on the blanket thing. Why can't kids under 18 months have blankets? What do you do when it is cold? Granted DFW probably doesn't get as cold as northeast Maine but still it does get cold enough to snow once every 10 year or so.

My kids always have used a blanket. My aunt made every one of them an afghan type planet so even if they pulled it over their head there were holes in the blanket. It was breathable. I have never had a problem. I guess someone could say I took unnecessary risk doing that though.

With SIDs they say, if a blanket goes over a babys head or their faces are smooshed into one, they don't/can't pull away from it to breath. At some point they reach an age that if they can't breath they move around until they can breath.

That is why they sell those blanket gown thingies now.