Menu

Do you do the pledge in your homeschool? Do schools in your area

There's a thread on this on one of the teaching boards I'm also on, and I'm curious. I've used the Pledge for memory work for my DD, but I have to say I never even considered it something that we should be doing it daily-but apparently it's required in my state (presumably for public schools) unless parents have religious objections to it.

Here's a chart of state-by state laws.

No, I live in a country that doesn't have any sort of pledge.:001_smile:

I have always thought it was a form of brainwashing.

I don't believe children have the maturity or understanding to pledge allegiance to anything. I think the tradition borders on brainwashing.

:iagree:

I'm teaching my children to sing "America, the Beautiful," though. And "This Land Is Your Land." When they're old enough to handle the tune and words, I'll add in "The Star-Spangled Banner."

We say it about once a week and at Cub Scout meetings. I'm against mandatory patriotism, but I think the pledge is an important thing to understand. I have a book about the pledge that I'm going to work through with my kids so that they understand what they are saying when they are pledging allegiance to this country via its flag.

THe kids said daily in public school. I don't know if they do it in middle school and higher though. I was never required to say it in school. The only time I ever said it as a kid was at VBS.

We don't say it in our homeschool. The only time I say it is when I have to do it with my scout trooop, otherwise, I just stand silently. My kids say it in scouts but that is about it. I find it creepy.

I LOVE MY COUNTRY!!! I am beyond thankful to live here.

But my allegiance is to God. It almost seems a bit idolatrous to do the pledge, at least in my mind. Anyhoo, allegiance, to me, means that if a choice ever had to be made I would have to take the side where I pledged my allegiance. Hopefully I won't ever have to choose between God and country, but you never know.....

Exactly this. :iagree: Also want to add, though, that I think it is important for my children to know what it says and the history behind it.

ETA: I don't get seeing it as creepy....hmmm, that saddens me.

I LOVE MY COUNTRY!!! I am beyond thankful to live here.

But my allegiance is to God. It almost seems a bit idolatrous to do the pledge, at least in my mind. Anyhoo, allegiance, to me, means that if a choice ever had to be made I would have to take the side where I pledged my allegiance. Hopefully I won't ever have to choose between God and country, but you never know.....

I don't have this type of objection to the pledge because of the phase "under God." My allegiance to this country is under my allegiance to God. We don't say the pledge at home regularly; it seems too formal for the home setting.

I don't have this type of objection to the pledge because of the phase "under God." My allegiance to this country is under my allegiance to God. We don't say the pledge at home regularly; it seems too formal for the home setting.

Are you saying, then, that your allegiance to the country extends to whether or not the country is "under God"? I think I get what you're saying. If that's the case, I can see where saying it does not pose a problem.

Not only have I never said it, I don't think I've ever even heard it.

But then, I'm Canadian.

*runs*

But when I was in school in Ontario (and maybe still?), the Lord's Prayer was said every morning over the PA by the student of the week as part of morning exercises. Sure you could opt to go stand in the hall (where you'd hear it anyway), but the Jehovah's Witnesses were the only ones that ever did. What a way to help in the process of ostracizing a kid. :glare:

Are you saying, then, that your allegiance to the country extends to whether or not the country is "under God"? I think I get what you're saying. If that's the case, I can see where saying it does not pose a problem.

Yes, essentially. When I pledge allegiance to this country, my allegiance to it is above my allegiance to any other country, but not above my allegiance to God.

Yes, essentially. When I pledge allegiance to this country, my allegiance to it is above my allegiance to any other country, but not above my allegiance to God.

^

^

This! Isn't it common sense? I don't know...I can't imagine having a real objection to pledging loyalty to one's nation.

That said, we haven't started HS'ing yet but I doubt I'd have DS recite it each day. We talk regularly about our country and the flag and the pledge and what they mean so...

But when I was in school in Ontario (and maybe still?), the Lord's Prayer was said every morning over the PA by the student of the week as part of morning exercises. Sure you could opt to go stand in the hall (where you'd hear it anyway), but the Jehovah's Witnesses were the only ones that ever did. What a way to help in the process of ostracizing a kid. :glare:

Lord's Prayer hasn't been done in years. 'Moment of silence' is what replaced it, last I knew. Still not a 'pledge' though.

C'mon, everybody, grab the torches and pitchforks....

''GET HER!!!" :lol:

:001_tt2:

Lord's Prayer hasn't been done in years. 'Moment of silence' is what replaced it, last I knew. Still not a 'pledge' though.

:001_tt2:

No, but it was obnoxious. Looks like Ontario stopped doing it in 1988... two years after I graduated high school. :001_smile:

According to the link it is optional for both schools and students in my state. That said, it's not something that I've ever given much thought to. We do not recite the pledge in our homeschool. I don't have anything against it necessarily, but it just sounds odd to me. I didn't realize that an homeschoolers actually did that.

My children memorize the pledge when we get to that point in US History.

I am fairly certain that it's illegal to *require* any student in a public school to recite the pledge though.

Yes, indeed. When I went to elementary school in the 1970s, JWs who opted out of the pledge had to walk out of the classroom and stand in the hall. The other kids would always try to kick their ankles or trip them as they went by.

Yes, indeed. When I went to elementary school in the 1970s, JWs who opted out of the pledge had to walk out of the classroom and stand in the hall. The other kids would always try to kick their ankles or trip them as they went by.

I remember gr 1, and a boy leaving to stand out in the hall. I wondered why, but never asked.

Nobody bugged him about it.

I don't understand loyalty based on luck of the draw. I can love and appreciate where I live without swearing to stand by a vague concept that represents a land's borders and fallible human beings.

In my opinion, part of the privilege of being an American is being loyal to the country; I guess we always have the option of moving to a better nation if we don't feel loyal to this one. I don't consider it the luck of the draw. My parents chose to stay here, as the best option available. I choose to stay here for the same reason.

We as citizens receive the benefits of being Americans; I don't mind pledging - even though it's just a token pledge - to return the favor by acknowledging that I appreciate being an American and vowing to be loyal to my country, warts and all.

JMO

I don't understand loyalty based on luck of the draw.

Heh. I'm the only one in my family born here. :) My dh has zero objection to the pledge. In a land which welcomed many generations from all over the globe, I can see the thinking behind getting some cohesion of allegiance. And yeah, my family's loyalty now lies with this nation, which took them in, and I don't mind reinforcing the notion with the Pledge.

I don't think it should be mandatory for anyone, but at the same time, can those of you who don't do it, please allow for us who do? It should go both ways, eh?

I'm glad I found this thread. I was just about to post one asking the same thing.

I grew up doing it in ps (elementary only) and I don't think I've been anywhere where it has been said since then.

I just downloaded a K4 curricula for my youngest and the first thing scheduled is saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I still remember it, but I was kind of uncertain if that was something she really needed to learn at 4 years of age. I asked dh his opinion on the matter and he said not to do it.

I never even thought of doing it with our other dc (it was just not something that came to mind as being essential to know, seeing as I haven't said it in almost 30 years).

Thanks for the food for thought!

Are there really people asking others to refrain from doing so? I've never encountered that, personally.

Carrie, that part wasn't directed at you, so please let me clear that up in case anyone was wondering. And, I'm not all wadded up about this, simply making an observation. As stated previously, I do think it should be optional.

To answer your question though, I see a bit of bullying-like behavior on this thread, which was not a "discuss and debate" thread. It's one thing to say, "Oh, I find this creepy" or "It doesn't align with my religious beliefs." It is another to declare it is creepy or to tell people to research the Bellamy salute as if once they do so, it'll show how terrible the pledge is.

FTR, the Bellamy salute predates the fascist salutes, for some context. One might not like any salutes, but given the fact that the nation changed its salute once the fascists took them and perverted them, it shows me that the country wasn't really interested in being aligned with fascism. Others may draw other conclusions, and that's OK. But a couple of comments on this thread have insinuated that any "knowing" person couldn't say the pledge.

If I have to allow for those of you who can't imagine saying the pledge, allow for those of us who can't imagine not saying it. Esp. those Americans who've lived under other regimes that are still currently in power. And who want to pledge to this nation. It's a heck of a lot easier than learning/teaching the melody of the Star Spangled Banner. :tongue_smilie:

Other countries have hymns praising sovereign/president or nation but I cannot find another country that recites a pledge to a flag.

To me, one of the more significant benefits of educating my ds at home is that he is not asked to stand before the flags and pledge his allegiance. I say flags because we live in Texas and the Texas flag has its own pledge. My ds is eight years old. How can he pledge his allegiance to something to which he is not fully cognizant? I do find it disturbing that students, especially the youngest, are requested to do so. Now of course no one is compelled, however, opting out and appearing different is difficult, so most recite the words with little thought given to them.

Why is this a custom in our schools? Why not at the beginning of each work day? It's simple enough really. After the employees punch in, they could assemble together around the flag and start each day with the pledge. Why do we ask our children to do something we ourselves do not find convenient?

Carrie, that part wasn't directed at you, so please let me clear that up in case anyone was wondering. And, I'm not all wadded up about this, simply making an observation. As stated previously, I do think it should be optional.

To answer your question though, I see a bit of bullying-like behavior on this thread, which was not a "discuss and debate" thread. It's one thing to say, "Oh, I find this creepy" or "It doesn't align with my religious beliefs." It is another to declare it is creepy or to tell people to research the Bellamy salute as if once they do so, it'll show how terrible the pledge is.

FTR, the Bellamy salute predates the fascist salutes, for some context. One might not like any salutes, but given the fact that the nation changed its salute once the fascists took them and perverted them, it shows me that the country wasn't really interested in being aligned with fascism. Others may draw other conclusions, and that's OK. But a couple of comments on this thread have insinuated that any "knowing" person couldn't say the pledge.

If I have to allow for those of you who can't imagine saying the pledge, allow for those of us who can't imagine not saying it. Esp. those Americans who've lived under other regimes that are still currently in power. And who want to pledge to this nation. It's a heck of a lot easier than learning/teaching the melody of the Star Spangled Banner. :tongue_smilie:

The fact that the fascists based their salute upon the American one is disturbing to me, period.

You stated that what the fascists did was "pervert" the salute; but how was it a perversion? That word denotes a basic twisting of intent or purpose took place. However, both the American salute and the Italian/Nazi salutes involved mass numbers of people, being led in rote recitation of an oath of loyalty made to a political entity.

The fascists didn't have to twist it up at all--just substituted their own brand.

What I find even more disturbing though? The fact that most Americans seem to be unaware of what the Bellamy pledge was, or its connection to WWII fascism.

I don't care what spin others put on it. To me,

and brainwashing.

Finally, just because the majority of people on this thread are creeped out by the practice, doesn't constitute "bullyish" behavior. Bullying would indicate some sort of threats or personal attacks, in an attempt to intimidate others, and I don't see any of that here.

We say the Pledge every morning to start school as well as sing a patriotic song. We are learning the Star Spangled Baner, America the Beautiful, God Bless America, This Land is Your Land, It's a Grand Old Flag, and one section of the Stars and Stripes Forever ("All hail to the flag of the free..") That last one is very fun. The kids like it when it is their turn to hold the flag. It is a great way to begin the school day, and a convenient method to learn all of the patriotic songs. Yes, it feels a little corny at first, but we all really like this practice. I highly recommend it!

I am a Christian, and I don't see any problem with the Pledge. Of course it is understood that our first allegiance is to God.