Menu

Bible... gently.....

IATeachingMom

For those of you that offer Bible as a part of your day:

I'm looking for a Bible program- something very very easy. A lot of hand-holding is needed. We just started going to a church and are liking it. DS will be in 2nd and does not have much experience with Bible/church. A gentle introduction if you will....

FWIW- I've had lots of church/Bible/theory in my day, but am married to an unbeliever. I have no idea why he let me homeschool! But he did, and he's coming around to the "church thing". My kids have been sheltered from Christianity mostly. Please be nice. :(

To become familiar with all the stories in the Bible, I would recommend reading through a Bible story book. We used Egermeier's Bible Story Book. It is extremely thorough, but easier to understand than the actual Bible for a young one. Then, for theology/biblical doctrine, there's Leading Little Ones to God by Marian Schoolland. We went through both of those last year for first grade and I thought they worked perfectly.

I grew up using A Beka in our small Christian school. Does anyone know if they have a homeschool Bible course and how it is? Gentle? Easy layout?

Thanks for the suggestion on becoming familiar with the stories first....that's something I think I take for granted, but shouldn't with my kids.

We read a bible story each night before bed. The Egermeier's that Milknhoney mentioned would be good for a second grader. I'm surprised at how much my kids pick up just from that nightly practice.

You might also teach them some basic kid church songs. You can find some on the Wee Sing Bible Songs CD. That way if the kids in Sunday school start singing a song that pretty much everyone raised in church would know, your kids won't feel left out.

I wouldn't even try to start with a "curriculum" I'd read a couple of story Bibles and sing some songs. If you wanted, a nice family devotional book for you and your son might be a good addition.

I would start with The Jesus Storybook Bible. It's all stories. It gives a wonderful framework to fit things in. My kids love it. It could be short and sweet. The Big Picture Story Bible is also very good and a nice place to go after JSB. Then I'd go to something like the Vos Story Bible or Ergemeier's. We haven't used it yet, but The Mighty Acts of God story Bible looks fantastic, too and has discussion questions provided.

I would consider getting the Wee Sing Bible CD and teaching some Bible songs: Zaccheus was a Wee Little Man, The Wise Man Built His House on the Rock, Jesus Loves Me, etc. Maybe practice some of the songs your church uses regularly (whether hymns or praise songs) so your child can participate during worship services.

Our all-time favorite kids devotional book has been God's Alphabet for Life. It's cheap ($6) and presents good explanations and points to the gospel in each lesson. My ABC Bible Verses is also wonderful; a Bible verse, a story where a child uses it, and some discussion. Both of these are definitely Reformed in perspective, though.

If you're looking for a more "academic" way of doing it, starting with Third Grade, Memoria Press' Christian Studies is something I'd investigate. We're using something else that we love, but it is very specifically Reformed and would not fit your criteria.

I grew up using A Beka in our small Christian school. Does anyone know if they have a homeschool Bible course and how it is? Gentle? Easy layout?

Thanks for the suggestion on becoming familiar with the stories first....that's something I think I take for granted, but shouldn't with my kids.

You can buy the Abeka Bible program as a homeschooler, but it is really geared towards schools, it is very expensive, and it is fairly complicated with lots of different pieces. I looked into it and didn't really like it.

This year I will be doing God's Great Covenant from CAP with DD5. We may skip some of the writing or just do them out loud; but it looks like a fun, gentle overview to the "big picture" of the Bible, as well as individual stories.

First, I highly recommend plain ol' Bible reading. I like the Golden Bible for kids because it is based on the KJV, the Vos children's Bible, and the Picture Bible (in story/comic book format) for kids. Before anything else, and if nothing else, I think a good read-through is in order.

The Abeka Flash-a-Cards are very, very easy to implement and you can do as little or as much in one sitting as you like. I know it makes sense to start at the beginning with Genesis, which you can do. But, to know what the current relationship between God & man is, I also recommend something from the New Testament as well.

ETA: Apparently there are other pieces to Abeka's full Bible curriculum... my comments here are based on their "Salvation Series" and "Preschool Bible Flash-a-Cards". They are just big poster-cards with pictures on one side for the kids and text on the other for the parent to read aloud (the Salvation Series has a separate booklet to read from). The PP and I must have gotten our hands on different materials. I agree, they are expensive.

CBH Ministries offers Keys for Kids, a small devotional for kids they mail out for free. You can sign up for it on their website. It's only 5x7" or so, and only a page per day. The stories have Scripture references at the top relating to that day's lesson that you or the kids can look up.

Last but certainly not least, a great big :grouphug:.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Another vote for Telling God's Story. I also bought The Jesus Storybook Bible as an extra resource as it has pictures for my youngest. I have other plans to expand TGS but that not relevant to this thread.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree: I love Telling God's Story as far as being a gentle introduction. They start with New Testament selections that emphasize God's love for us. I've always thought the stories about getting locked inside a whale or a cave with a lion were kind of scary introductions for kids. They're exciting, but I like talking about God's love first. When Grace was little she called the story about Jonah and the whale the "man who got the big time out" and she would always ask if that would happen to her. That wasn't really the point I was going for, KWIM?

http://www.amazon.com/Read-N-Grow-Picture-Bible-872-Picture-Revelation/dp/084991163X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312808450&sr=1-4 My dd enjoyed this at about that age. I'd also highly recommend a good Bible story book (Vos, Egermeir, etc.). The cover on this Read n Grow Picture Bible looks funky, but the content is marvelous, very traditional illustrations. It has cells with sentences under each cell telling the story. The tellings are very thorough, and again traditional. It just gave her a really nice Bible exposure. When they're learning to read, it's nice to be able to have them follow with you, one sentence at a time.

That's also a nice age to read animal-based devotionals. I just picked up one "Listen to the Animals" at a yard sale. We read the Character Sketches volumes to my dd at that age.

Oh, oh, I totally forgot! If your dc reads, have you gotten him his own Bible yet? The NIV comes in a lower reading level (NIVr) that is fabulous for this age. Or the ESV is pretty accessible. You might take a trip to your local Christian bookstore and just see what you think. They come hardbound (as opposed to leather, etc.) and can be pretty affordable. ($12-17?) The print will also be a bit larger in these children's versions. I gave it to my dd and encouraged her to read a chapter every night before bed to develop the habit.

You can buy the Abeka Bible program as a homeschooler, but it is really geared towards schools, it is very expensive, and it is fairly complicated with lots of different pieces. I looked into it and didn't really like it.

I tried to look into this but was overwhelmed by the amount of things I needed to buy just for Bible alone! Now I see it's more for schools. Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit much.

The Jesus Bible Storybook is fabulous. The CDs are wonderful.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I think I might go with just Bible stories for the first year. And prehaps memorizing some verses. In addition to the Jesus Storybook Bible, we like The Big Picture Story Bible and The Child's Story Bible and the Child's Illustrated Bible (DK).

I think listening to and narrating back the stories would be plenty.

As a pp mentioned, the Big Picture Bible Timeline published by Gospel Light is easy and good.

For a gentle systematic approach to Bible application/theology I might go with Sinclair Ferguson's Big Book of Questions and Answers. It's broadly evengelical, an inexpensive paperback.

Another option is the A Beka Bible flash a cards. These are large, beautiful pictures of Bible Stories including an accompanying booklet with the stories and Bible references. We use these with our Bible reading and The Child's Story Bible by Vos. The younger ones enjoy the illustrations and get a lot out of these from A Beka Book. http://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/ProductSearch.aspx?grade=&subject=BIBLE+FACS%2cBIBLE%2cFOREIGN+BIB+FAC&title=&sbn=

These are similar to the ones Mr. Fix it uses when telling children Bible stories on this Moody DVD http://www.keepersofthefaith.com/product/MrFixItBibleDVD.html. This is wonderful and demonstrates the use of the A Beka flash a cards for younger children. I purchased art portfolios to help keep the cards bound and protected...Mr. Fix It style. http://www.misterart.com/display-presentation/binders-and-display-books/itoya-art-profolio-storage-display-

book.html

We use Simply Charlotte Mason's scripture memory system. http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

You can access suggested memory verses in their free curriculum guide. http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/scripture/

I agree with the Bible Story book. We are a "churched" family (my husband is a pastor), and I still start the day with a bible story book. We will alternate with a story, a Bible puzzle game page, or memory work (I am going to have them illustrate what the verse means to them). We also go over the books of the Bible like we do the pledge. I wanted to do something that all three of children could do together! We also pray before we start our day. To me, the important thing to teach our children is that Jesus loves them, and that we can have a relationship with Him. So, I try to be that example to them by letting them see me reading my Bible and praying with them about everything. Good luck! I will be praying for your husband to come to know Christ soon!

We have had good success by reading through The Children's Illustrated Bible (by Selina Hastings, published by DK). If you order it online, be sure to read the description carefully, because there is an edition out there that is so tiny, the print is barely readable. If your library has the larger version, you can copy the ISBN and order it that way.

I figured it out once, that if we read only three stories or "spreads" per week, we can complete the whole book in a year (every year). We also start the book in December with page 179 (first page of the New Testament), and read at a pace that has us on the Christmas stories at Christmas time and the Passion/Easter stories in March/April.

After we had read through the Hastings volume for about three years in a row, my oldest daughter was ready for something different. This year we are enjoying Classic Bible Stories (Lise Caldwell), with its lovely illustrations. I highly recommend this book.

For 2nd grade, we plan to use Egermeier's Bible Story Book, along with:

• What the Bible Is All About: Visual Edition (for the teacher's use)
  • What the Bible Is All About for Young Explorers (for the student's use)
  • Children's Guide to the Bible (by Robert Willoughby)
  • The Crossway Illustrated Bible Handbook (for teacher's use)
  • The Holman Bible Concordance for Kids (student's use)
  • The Student Bible Atlas (by Tim Dowley)

It really won't be as intimidating as it looks, I promise! Some of these books are tools that we will learn how to use, and we'll have them on the shelf for years. HTH.

Oops, I should have read the thread before posting! I'll leave my post anyway...

The Jesus Storybook Bible is beautiful. I highly, highly recommend it. http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Every-Whispers/dp/0310708257 It doesn't have activities but just reading it will be meaningful I think.

Telling God's Story is very simple to implement and also meaningful. It would be good for his age and the activity guide would include hands on things to go with the story. It's structured very much like Story of The World in that way. You'd get the Instructor Year One text and the Year One Activity book. It's very good and it's simple. http://olivebranchbooks.net/tgs.html

Is there a memory verse component to Telling Gods Story or the ABC devo for children does anyone know?

TeachingMom, yes, TGS Year 1 has the student memorize the twelve disciples and the books of the new testament. Year 2 will have him/her review those and will add Psalm 23, the Lord's Prayer, and a few other verses.

Justin Moore

Editor, Olive Branch Books

We use Bible Study Guide for All Ages- just the worksheets along with our Bible. Since we also have Bible with HOD we only do one side of the worksheet per day. Easy to use, but teaches a lot and is inexpensive.

To learn events of the Bible (I don't use the word story as it seems like it could be fictional and it isn't), I agree a good kid's Bible works well.