Menu

Help for Aubrey

I'm hoping Aubrey doesn't get back online for a few hours...

I know we have talked about sending care packages to Aubrey and her family to help her through this difficult time, but I think what they need is a hotel and the cash to pay for it. Her mom's house sounds unsafe and Aubrey is getting ready to have a baby. The altitude and stress makes me worry about preterm labor and delivery.

If there is someone local (Lara, maybe?) who can see that they are settled into a hotel today or tomorrow, I am willing to pay for the first two nights. People who wanted to donate can paypal me funds and I will send them on to Aubrey to use for short-term housing.

There are people on the board who know me IRL and can vouch for my honesty and integrity. So many people here helped us out after we lost our house in hurricane Katrina and I want to be able to pay it forward.

If anyone has other suggestion on how we can help please pm me.

Thanks!

Jennifer

It might be cheaper for them in the long run to use the money for even a small apartment. If you could get an extended stay motel for $50 a night, $800 would only get you 16 nights. If you could get a small 1 bedroom apartment (which is the size they'd been living in) for $800, then they could stay all month. But they would also need a $200 deposit at the places I found doing a quick Denver apartment search.

I'm willing to help. I'll pm you.

We've got Aubrey in crisis and Joanne in crisis. I wonder if there's some way we can do something for both?

I agree. What can we do for Joanne? Does anyone know her well enough to ask her what would be the most help for her??

I have gotten alot of pm's asking for my paypal address. It is jennifer4079 AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks so much, everyone!

Jennifer

Aubrey has been on my mind all day - I don't even know her, but being in the situation she finds herself, pregnant and now totally stressed, that isn't a good place to be.

An option that might be a good one for now - since her husband is starting work - in and around Denver are vacation homes for rent....fully furnished and often somewhat reasonably priced. This time of the year in CO is still low season and prices are lowest until end of October.

A couple of sites to search through:

HomeAway.com

VRBO.com

VRPM.com

GreatRentals.com

Vacation homes often have higher "sleeps" numbers than traditional apartments, and certainly more than typical hotel rooms and/or extended stay options. We've used the first two, quite a number of times, to rent for vacations - the places are generally very, very nice and reasonably priced!

If folks here could (and I'm willing to contribute) get together enough for a month - that could give them some breathing room to either lay out a plan to get the work done at her mom's, or give them time to figure out what to do.

Aubrey absolutely has to have her stress levels taken down several notches...I have a PD'ed MIL, so I can only guess what crazy-making is really going on!

Can I ask what is going on with Joanne? Also, I think the 1 month stay at an extended stay hotel or whatever is a good idea. I would like to know if there might be an option for low cost housing after that? Aubrey ... I hope you don't mind we are all taking over here. ;-) I am just asking questions and wondering, and I absolutely realize you have ultimate say over your life and your dwelling place. I think we all are just brainstorming right now ... in case you see this.

Can I ask what is going on with Joanne? Also, I think the 1 month stay at an extended stay hotel or whatever is a good idea. I would like to know if there might be an option for low cost housing after that? Aubrey ... I hope you don't mind we are all taking over here. ;-) I am just asking questions and wondering, and I absolutely realize you have ultimate say over your life and your dwelling place. I think we all are just brainstorming right now ... in case you see this.

Some extended stays have 'studio' units and larger (one and two bedroom) units. If the occupancy/# of people is an issue with the ESH, perhaps they can be put in two units and Aubrey and dh can divide (and hopefully conquer).

A request should be made for the employee's rate - even if for only part of the month -- the employee's rate is usually half of the regular rate and in these circumstances - I certainly think the circumstances could be characterized as 'displaced,' and an esh with a compassionate manager (don't ask a clerk - you will have to speak with the manager or ass't manager) can make the call to give their family a discount.

ETA: A 2 bedroom suite at marriott towne place suites (sleeps 6) would rent for $2000/month at the employee rate. They have two of them in colorado springs but I don't know if either is convenient for aubrey.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Yes, a Marriott Residence Inn came to mind. I think $2000 is quite steep though, although I am a country girl in WA State and I just may not be informed. ha

I agree with you -- but many times the residents at the esh are on a corporate account and the rate is whatever the traffic will bear. :sad:

And, keep in mind that the $2k would be the employee rate -- not the rate that is posted on the website.

I would hope that someone at some establishment would show some compassion on the family and help them out with a discounted rate.

The rates that I've quoted are for Marriott's Towne Place Suites.

Aubrey has been on my mind all day - I don't even know her, but being in the situation she finds herself, pregnant and now totally stressed, that isn't a good place to be.

An option that might be a good one for now - since her husband is starting work - in and around Denver are vacation homes for rent....fully furnished and often somewhat reasonably priced. This time of the year in CO is still low season and prices are lowest until end of October.

A couple of sites to search through:

HomeAway.com

VRBO.com

VRPM.com

GreatRentals.com

Vacation homes often have higher "sleeps" numbers than traditional apartments, and certainly more than typical hotel rooms and/or extended stay options. We've used the first two, quite a number of times, to rent for vacations - the places are generally very, very nice and reasonably priced!

If folks here could (and I'm willing to contribute) get together enough for a month - that could give them some breathing room to either lay out a plan to get the work done at her mom's, or give them time to figure out what to do.

Aubrey absolutely has to have her stress levels taken down several notches...I have a PD'ed MIL, so I can only guess what crazy-making is really going on!

What a great idea! I've stayed at places like this before, and they had everything we needed, from sheets to dishes.

Joanne's husband has serious liver problems and is incoherent intermittently, and doesn't have health insurance so he can't get treated. Emergency rooms don't evaluate for a transplant list. I wish I had some connections so that I knew where to even refer them; I'll bet that somewhere there is a free service for this, but I don't know where.

Joanne also mentioned that they need to move into a different county, I assume so that her DH will qualify for treatment at the county hospital. This involves breaking a lease and trying to find a new place.

I'd love to help both Joanne and Aubrey. Need to figure out PayPal first though..

ETA: Joanne's last post is number 76 on this page.

Joanne also mentioned that they need to move into a different county, I assume so that her DH will qualify for treatment at the county hospital. This involves breaking a lease and trying to find a new place.

I'd love to help both Joanne and Aubrey. Need to figure out PayPal first though..

I don't think that that gets him treated, just 'stablized'.

Does anyone have a list of WTM living in Denver? I wonder if someone even has a house in Denver that has not sold and would be willing to let Audurey's family be house sitters? If not I love the idea of Vrbo and can contribute to that as well.

I know nothing about the COL in Denver (or what her dh is going to be making at his new job), but it would be nice to find a place that they could maintain the rent on atleast until after things are settled with new baby.

It sounds like she doesn't know what her dh will be making. Can anyone in the Denver area help her dh network into a better job?

Does anyone have a list of WTM living in Denver? I wonder if someone even has a house in Denver that has not sold and would be willing to let Audurey's family be house sitters? If not I love the idea of Vrbo and can contribute to that as well.

This sounds like the best idea, because it would likely give them some time to get on their feet rather than just one month.

This sounds like a great idea however it wouldn't do them any good to get into a place they can't afford after a month's help. It sounds like they might not know for certain how the pay might work out in his new job. They would be in a worse situation in a month's time; too expensive, not enough money from the Hive anymore and they've burned the Mom-bridge. :) I think affordable for her family needs to be important. I'd love to help as well. Great idea!

This sounds like a great idea however it wouldn't do them any good to get into a place they can't afford after a month's help. It sounds like they might not know for certain how the pay might work out in his new job. They would be in a worse situation in a month's time; too expensive, not enough money from the Hive anymore and they've burned the Mom-bridge. :) I think affordable for her family needs to be important. I'd love to help as well. Great idea!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I am a little worried too about ticking off her unstable mother by moving her out into something she can't afford past the first month. It will also cost money and frustration to move her and then move her back, assuming it is still OK to go back (and we and she really have no way of knowing what will happen in that month to make that still a possibility even). What if she leaves and something happens to make Mom decide they don't need to come back? Her mom has changed her mind on them before.

Would it maybe be better to use the money to get them some help getting the repairs done faster where she is?

I thought they needed an emergency place to stay while they make her mom's house habitable, not long term housing. Am I mistaken?

I think they need time and breathing room to get the Mom's house habitable and/or figure out the budget and next steps. To me, if they were to move to something temporarily, it's to lay out a plan that will work without having to remain in the circle of chaos and stress at the moment.

Could they at least live somewhere temporary while they fix up mom's house. It is so much easier to fix something up when you are not living there. Best case would be for them to live away for two week, make mom's house livable and stay there for a couple of months while saving the money.

I used foam on the concrete floor of my garage when we made that into a make shift room. It is an ideal covering as it hide imperfections, insulates, and is so easy to install. Like this:http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-Reversible-Charcoal-Anti-fatigue-Childrens/dp/B000V9IB0G

That would be one job done.

I know right now that there is so much to be done that it can be too overwhelming to start.

Could we send packages to someone nearby to take to Audrey?

I think they need time and breathing room to get the Mom's house habitable and/or figure out the budget and next steps. To me, if they were to move to something temporarily, it's to lay out a plan that will work without having to remain in the circle of chaos and stress at the moment.

That was my original thought. 7-14 days in a safe, comfortable place with real beds. Time to work on the house and to give everyone a little space while they work things out.

Aubrey, please know that all this is done out of love for you.

Jennifer

I am just still quite worried that the situation with Aubrey's mom will not work out. Sure, the house can be fixed up but it seems that mom is NOT cut out for having a bunch of grandchildren living in close quarters. It reads as if she will not enjoy having a crying baby, toddler, or wild play in her home. And as it is her house I am worried that she will either make Aubrey's family leave or make the situation so unpleasant that there is no other way - probably right when the basement has been fixed up and the baby is due.

Of course I am a bit of a pessimist and quite possibly I am wrong and everything will work out. Still, my vote would be for helping them find another place to live.

I am just still quite worried that the situation with Aubrey's mom will not work out. Sure, the house can be fixed up but it seems that mom is NOT cut out for having a bunch of grandchildren living in close quarters. It reads as if she will not enjoy having a crying baby, toddler, or wild play in her home. And as it is her house I am worried that she will either make Aubrey's family leave or make the situation so unpleasant that there is no other way - probably right when the basement has been fixed up and the baby is due.

Of course I am a bit of a pessimist and quite possibly I am wrong and everything will work out. Still, my vote would be for helping them find another place to live.

:iagree:

The last thing they need to do is dump a bunch of their money in her mom's house and have to leave.

Does anyone have a phone number for Aubrey? Can you pm it to me? I have found a place for them in the part of Denver where her mom is located. Two weeks in an extended stay hotel. We have enough in the paypal account to cover it.

Jennifer

I should add I spoke with the manager and he will give a reduced rate and let the 6 of them stay in one suite, normally the limit is 4.

I'm hoping Aubrey doesn't get back online for a few hours...

I know we have talked about sending care packages to Aubrey and her family to help her through this difficult time, but I think what they need is a hotel and the cash to pay for it. Her mom's house sounds unsafe and Aubrey is getting ready to have a baby. The altitude and stress makes me worry about preterm labor and delivery.

If there is someone local (Lara, maybe?) who can see that they are settled into a hotel today or tomorrow, I am willing to pay for the first two nights. People who wanted to donate can paypal me funds and I will send them on to Aubrey to use for short-term housing.

There are people on the board who know me IRL and can vouch for my honesty and integrity. So many people here helped us out after we lost our house in hurricane Katrina and I want to be able to pay it forward.

If anyone has other suggestion on how we can help please pm me.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Maybe this is also the time to buy some of the history curriculum that Aubrey has been working on. I know I've thought about getting some of what she's been writing.

It has the downside of requiring her to send out emails for the different downloads (which would require her to either be somewhere with internet or have someone help her send them out). But it would also be an income stream that they could apply where they needed it most.

Curiosity Academy Press (the link is also in Aubrey's sig line).

Curiosity Academy Press also has a Facebook page.

Does anyone have a phone number for Aubrey? Can you pm it to me? I have found a place for them in the part of Denver where her mom is located. Two weeks in an extended stay hotel. We have enough in the paypal account to cover it.

Jennifer

Jennifer, you are an awesome person. :D

Jennifer

:party:

Jennifer, you are an awesome person. :D

:iagree:

Jennifer,

Great job. I just paypaled you, (It's from SageHill Organics) as I was waiting to see what everyone came up with. Hopefully if there is overflow it can be used for all the other necessities in getting settled. I know everyone is worried about what her mom is going to think, but honestly all she has to say is that the WTM Ladies gifted this to her and they will use the time to get the basement in order without having to be 'in' the space at the same time. I think it could work out just fine temporarily. I still think long term they need their own apartment, but this might give them just enough room to breathe and regroup financially. Plus... maybe there is a pool for the kids?? That would be fun for them and Aubrey could hang out and post away while they all play. ;-) I like that picture.

Jennifer, if no one has her number perhaps you could email her through the board. She mentioned in the other thread that it was the best way to get hold of her.

Just did that! I have to fold laundry now, but I will keep y'all posted!!

Jennifer

Just did that! I have to fold laundry now, but I will keep y'all posted!!

Jennifer

Jennifer, does the suite have cooking facilities, kitchenette, etc? She needs a way to feed her brood on a reasonable amount of money.

I'd like to do something with the paypal but I seem to have missed the post with the paypal account information. Can someone tell me which post number it is or just pm. that too me?

Oh, and I'd still like to send something to her...I have a really pretty quilted table-runner I just put together and I thought I could throw in a little chocolate to help the worst of those trying days go a little better. It's not super practical as they don't have a place of their own, but maybe when she looks at it, she'll know how much we all care and it will brighten her day. So, if anyone could pm her address to me or the hotel address as soon as they get there, I'd really appreciate it.

Faith

Jennifer

You are an angel.