Menu

In light of the cloth diapering threads, I have to ask...

Pretty sure this is my first post here. So sorry about the gross topic but I HAVE to know...

What do you do with the poo?

I bought some cloth diapers last fall for my little guy. He was about 16 mos at the time. We did ok with them. The wet ones were no problem. I don't mind the extra laundry really but ugh the poop. I must be doing something wrong!

This may be TMI but that first poopy diaper was crazy! I had poo on the toilet, on the floor, on the sink, even between my fingers (puke!). Ugh. It was awful. I struggled through a month or so. The rash I was trying to get rid of went away so we went back to disposables.

Just had to dig them back up as we had another rash issue. Ugh! Same experience with the poopies. All I am doing is trying to knock the bulk of it in the toilet usually with a piece of TP. I am not by any means trying to get all of it off. What am I doing wrong?

When I hear people say how they LOVE cloth diapers I just don't get it. I mean they are cute and all. Love the cost savings but oh the poo. Help, someone?

Well, it depends on the poo :D

Firm ones will roll right off into the toilet. I am rarely lucky enough to have that happen.

Ickier ones require a plan. There are diaper liners (like this) that you lay on top of the inside of the diaper. When you go to dispose of the poop, you just lift the liner out and flush it and the poop it holds down the toilet - no mess.

Some people use a spatula (one that stays in the bathroom!!) and some people use a sprayer that is attached to the toilet.

I use the liners or I just lift up the rim of the toilet, swirl the diaper around to get the poop off, and then I bring the diaper pail close to the toilet and drop the diaper in.

I think there is just a learning curve, like with everything else.

Oh! I forgot to add, some times it has to do with the cover you are using. If you are using plastic pants with no velcro or snaps, then it's much more likely that the poop will get all over everything.

I do have some of the liners but they seemed to just be one more thing with poo on them. I'll have to give them another go.

I remember hearing about the sprayer but didn't want to invest in it in case I didn't really like cloth. Ha! LOL.

I recently did the dip and swish and still got some on the outside of the toilet and the floor.

I prob just need more practice (blech!). Lucky me! I'm not a germaphobe or a neat freak by any means. This has really been an issue for me though.

I do have some of the liners but they seemed to just be one more thing with poo on them. I'll have to give them another go.

I remember hearing about the sprayer but didn't want to invest in it in case I didn't really like cloth. Ha! LOL.

I recently did the dip and swish and still got some on the outside of the toilet and the floor.

I prob just need more practice (blech!). Lucky me! I'm not a germaphobe or a neat freak by any means. This has really been an issue for me though.

The absolute easiest is to use flushable liners. They just fall into the toilet with the poo on them and you flush it all away. You don't even really have to shake it. :D My ds needs fleece to keep rashes at bay and that works well enough here, but I used flushables with my dd who never really had solid poo....

Dip & swish is NOT an option here. I could not handle that as a method. Eeeew (IMO).

We used fitted diapers with wool. All our diapers were made with a cotton or bamboo velor lining inside so the poop was pretty easy to dip and swish in the toilet and most the poo would come right off. If there was some stuck, I'd hold the diaper and flush the toilet. The flowing water washed most of it off.

I'm an older mom who's raised two sets of children, and I used cloth diapers for my oldest three. What we all did back then was drop the poo in the toilet and flush. The softer stuff had to be swished in the toilet, wrung out and then the diaper was dropped into the diaper pail that was kept next to the toilet. (I was forever washing my hands and using lots of hand lotion!) Anyway, the trend then went to using cloth liners and that was a little easier. Both ways you would have to wash diapers every day or every other day unless you were blessed to have diaper service to your door.

I was amazed at how quickly I got used to rinsing out poopie diapers when I was a new mom. As with anything, after a while you just don't think about it anymore. Well, that is unless they are extra, extra poopie. :tongue_smilie: But truly, it was just what you do when you are a mother. Now if my 80-year old mom read some of the posts on this thread, she'd laugh her head off and say that you all have it so easy and you don't even know it! How would you like to wash them all in a wash tub with a scrub board or use a wringer washing machine?

We thought of disposable diapers as a luxury and most people could not justify the expense except for vacations or for newborns during the first few weeks, etc. But more and more people turned to them because they were so convenient.

Oh, btw, did you know that the first disposable diapers didn't have those little tapes on them? You had to use diaper pins!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

We use a little potty for poo. :)

Seriously, I start occasionally putting the babe on the pot when he/she can sit independently. I can tell when the babe starts to poop, so I just bring them to a little potty.

My youngest hasn't pooped in a diaper since she was 10 months or so. By 15 months she would consistently sign to be taken to the potty for pooping. (peeing has taken longer, but is much less messy!)

I chatted with a gal once who used to run a cloth diaper service. She said she never rinsed -- it all went in the washing machine (and I don't think she had like super-duper washing machines). Perhaps she did an extra rinse or something, I can't remember. But because of her business and health regulations, she had to test things regularly and she always passed the rigorous inspections. Worth a thought.

Or not -- my husband would never go for this, although I was sorta wanting to try it with our last.

Household washing machines can TOTALLY and COMPLETELY break down solid poo. The trick is not to use a cold rinse in the beginning. A warm rinse or warm wash cycle for really poopy loads breaks it down best.

So, if you are washing every couple of days I would recommend a dry pail, and just a warm wash cycle before your hot wash cycle, and you won't have to wash of the poo at all.

I shake off what will shake or roll off, and then it goes in the bucket. I don't touch the poo (on purpose), I don't scrape, don't dunk & swish, nada. No worries though, it all comes out in the wash. :D

I do run a rinse cycle first, then a hot wash with an extra rinse. Every few loads, I run another stripping cycle. Most diapers come out perfectly clean, although ocassionally a particularly nasty diaper might leave a residual stain. Weather permitting, I line dry, which eliminates even the most stubborn stains.

We use a pocket diaper so it has a fleece lining and the more solid stools "fall" right off.

For the runnier ones, we used to have to dunk a little and have a pitcher to put it in to carry it back to the diaper pail without dripping anything. We finally broke down and bought a $40 diaper sprayer and wish we would've done that a year ago. Since our toilet is right next to the tub, we also use the diaper sprayer to spray off her body when she vomits or if her little bum needs to be sprayed down (sometimes a thousand wipes still isn't good enough and I don't want her simmering in a bath tub with that stuff)...and of course, we spray off the dirty feet of her brothers before bedtime when they're muddy...

Anyway...a good $40 investment.

Like others have said, roll of what comes off and let the washing machine take care of the rest. Our kids have food allergies so sometimes there's a LOT of "the rest" for the machine to take care of, and it does a fabulous job. I've never used disposable nappies but I remember reading on a packet once that you're supposed to take the poos out of them too.

I let the really poopy ones sitfor a while. The poop gets drier and I scrape with an old knife. That'sfor gross ones.

I cannotjustleave it. I get bean skins and brocolli bits and squashed blueberries and corn kernels and other indigestibles so I tryto get out chunks.

Got some more practice this morning. :) I think I'm smooshing too much when I'm changing him. With disposable I'm used to wiping the bum with the diaper to get the majority off. It seems like that is making it harder--making it stick to the diaper more?

Had to laugh at the post about what someone's 80 yo grandma would think. Since this cloth diapering thing came up, I have thought many times about poor Ma Ingalls. What in the world did THEY do? Yes, we have it easy.

Definitely going to try the liners again. And I am all about not fussing about what won't come off and letting the washing machine take care of it. Who am I to underestimate my washing machine. :)

Everyone is so helpful. Thank you for all the perspectives!

I'm with the lazy crowd and do not like to be dipping or rinsing poopy diapers. If it falls off or can be picked up with a piece of toilet paper, I'll flush it. If not, I'll let Mr. Maytag do the dirty work. Really I've been amazed at how well my washer can handle a really soiled diaper. The worst case scenario is when the cycle is done, occasionally I see the blueberry/bean peels or whatnot still sticking to the sides of the washer. I just wipe them up with a paper towel. I think I read somewhere early on how the toilet wastewater and washer wastewater end up in the same place and that convinced me to let my washer do all the poop-rinsing.

I have used the flushable liners, too and they are nice. But once in a while the bunch up funny and the poop will totally miss it.

If it's a reaaaalllly bad diaper and I don't want it sitting around, I may even run a load right then even if it's only for a handful of diapers.

I think the trickiest part of cloth poops is if you're out. Then I want to get as much of it off as possible if it's going back in my diaper bag :(

Good luck with your cloth diaper journey!

If they are cotton prefolds the poo does stick a bit, but yeah, whatever shakes of shakes off, and the rest goes in the wash. Fleece lined pocket diapers shake off easier. I am not sure how you are getting it all over you....just shake it off.

Oh, or popsicle sticks/tongue depressors work great to scrape poo, much better than toilet paper. Toilet paper tends to grind it in.

We use a little potty for poo. :)

Seriously, I start occasionally putting the babe on the pot when he/she can sit independently. I can tell when the babe starts to poop, so I just bring them to a little potty.

My youngest hasn't pooped in a diaper since she was 10 months or so. By 15 months she would consistently sign to be taken to the potty for pooping. (peeing has taken longer, but is much less messy!)

This, with all three. I can count on one hand the number of toddler poo diapers I've had to change.