Menu

Your fav books on tape

It's not an audiobook, but Ariel loves The Secret Garden by Focus on the Family. It's done as a radio show.

I'm not a fan of audiobooks in general, but I have fond memories of the Hank the Cowdog series my teacher played in elementary school. They are read by the author, John R. Erickson.

It's not an audiobook, but Ariel loves The Secret Garden by Focus on the Family. It's done as a radio show.

:iagree:We love, love, love this one. We've listened to it about 5 times!

Your sons might not like this one but Focus on the Family Anne of Green Gables and Little Women are favorites here too.

We also enjoyed all of the Series of Unfortunate Events books read by Tim Curry. They might be a little intense for your youngest though.

My dd6 loves audio stories so much that I've had to limit her time. She was up to about 4 hours a day and starting to have an attitude and didn't want to play with her brothers. Now, she can listen before breakfast, during afternoon rest time (which can be 1-2 hours if she stays in there that long) and at bedtime if she gets in bed without dawdling. Her favorites are the Little House series, Anne of Green Gables, but she also liked SOTW and Odysseus. She has liked some of the Adventures in Odyssey but not all of them. She has listened to the Little House series so often that I can incorrectly read a sentence from the books (I usually replace a noun or change a color, etc...)and she almost always catches the mistake.

We listen to audio books and radio dramas daily. Mainly in the car; we're in the car a LOT! She loves audio books so much that she is taking a class this summer to learn how to make one.

Adventures in Odyssey

Anything by Jim Weiss, including Story of the World. His narration of Swiss Family Robinson is awesome.

We recently listened to the Penderwicks. That was good.

We're now listening to the 39 Clues, but it is a bit scary, killings and such, so probababy not a good choice for your family.

The Secret Benedict Society was also great. A few scary scenes, and evil bad guy, so maybe when your kids are older. My daughter is 9.

Because of Winn Dixie was good.

We have loved Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulaine, The Tale of Despereaux, The Chronicles of Narnia, and the latest... Marley and Me.

We LOVE audio books! Keeps my 3 kids calm and quiet during car rides.

We have loved Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulaine, The Tale of Despereaux, The Chronicles of Narnia, and the latest... Marley and Me.

We LOVE audio books! Keeps my 3 kids calm and quiet during car rides.

:iagree: EB White is the narrator for his books and his voice is so soothing...very "grandfatherly!" I loved listening to him on our car rides!

We've listened to so many over the years I almost have to go back to the library and write them all down! I don't think we've ever listened to one that wasn't good. There are age suggestions on the boxes, so look for those and they will (usually) be a good guide for you.

39 Clues is fantastic (I was looking forward to getting in the car to hear what would happen next), but it is a little intense at times, so beware. My sons are 13 and 8, so we have to try and find middle ground as much as possible.

Pam

Guest Elisabeth

We love James Langton's readings of the Chronicles of Prydain. He does a great job with Eilonwy's voice -- I always hear it my head when I read the books again! And my 9 year old daughter has been loving the Penderwick books on audio this summer. They're read by Susan Denaker.

P.S. Have lurked a long while, but total newbie to posting here. In fact...first post. :)

My favorite audio books/stories have been:

Lost Moon/Apollo 13 by JIm Lovell -- includes recordings from the actual flight!

Tevye the Dairyman read by Theodore Bikel

and the Left Behind Sound and Drama series by Gap Digital (starts here: http://www.amazon.com/Left-Behind-Experience-Sound-Earths/dp/0842351469/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311959644&sr=1-1)

I'm sorry but I have to THIRD the E.B. White books read by the author-my dc will listen to them over and over!

Don't forget the Focus on the Family Narnia series! It is abridged but wonderful.

Oh, and Pilgrim's Progress from this company-almost completely unabridged and AMAZING.

http://www.orionsgate.org/audio/index.html

And if you're Christian you MUST have this-they are dramatized stories word for word from the Bible-this is one of our all time faves for the car; the narrator is truly gifted:

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/WGS6PN/b6ecfd9b5eb19efdcc31abbc

I am :bigear: to hear some new ones on this thread too!

(And I have to laugh at your dating yourself with use of "books on tape" :D Only because I do the same thing-every. single. time. I cannot get used to "audiobooks"!:))

DD loves audiobooks so much that when she is reading a book, she'll "listen" to an audiobook of another book :glare:.

We're in the car a lot, so we've listened to a wide range of books, but right now, it's all about Brian Jacques and his series of Redwall books. The author narrates his own books and has a variety of actors for other parts. It's so well done!

She listened to Where the Red Fern Grows for one month, everyday, for 2 hours, but she did cry hard the first time, and for some reason, needed to listen to the story many more times afterwards.

We try many audio stories through the interlibrary loan. I can't think of one yet we didn't enjoy. I think our favorites are EB White's that have already been mentioned (Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's Web), Dahl's (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Chronicles of Narnia, and Cleary's The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Ribsy.

My boys also love the free stuff available online--like StoryNory, KiddieRecordsWeekly, and Librivox. Here is one I see they have recently bookmarked from Librivox right now--Rootabaga stories by Sandburg.

Edited by sbgrace

Have you guys listened to the Green Knowe series by L M Boston? Truly lovely mid century British historical fantasy--you may borrow ours if you like!;)

Also, we really liked Kipling's Kim, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, and Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon and sequels.

We are just starting to get audiobooks (cd's with the books to follow along). I've ordered Heidi, The Secret Garden, Sarah Plain & Tall, Skylark, A Little Princess, Pinocchio, Hank the Cowdog, The Complete Adventures of Curious George, Frog & Toad Collection, Amelia Bedelia Collection, and The Borrowers for my dd. My son wanted The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles (which wasn't included in his Sherlock Holmes set), White Fang, Call of the Wild, and 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea. I got a couple of the Jim Weiss cd's to try (they don't come with books).

Today, I went to a garage sale. The lady was a teacher that just retired. I got 41 new book with audio CD's. I was soooo excited. Of course, these are not chapter books but kids storybooks. But still I'm excited because this is our first year to really do audiobooks and I felt I hit the jackpot today! :D

Anything read by Jim Dale is good. We loved his reading of A Christmas Carol. He does great with James Herriot's Treasury for children too.

Anither reader we love is Max McLean. He does Christian things - Bible, Pilgrim's Progress, The Valley of Vision (a collection of puritan poetry) and some C.S. Lewis.

Homer Price by Robert McCloskey, read by John McDonough

and if you like it, then more stories about Homer are in Centerburg Tales (also by McCloskey / McDonough) Completely G-rated!!

My little one enjoys these immensely, but they were recommended to us by a family with children around your age. Everyone (parents included) loved it on their family vacation.

I just asked my 11yo dd and she says her favourite are the Bloody Jack series narrated by Katherine Kellgren.

And another vote for Charlotte's Web read by EB White by my 7yo.

Other hits have included:

The Sophie series by Dick King-Smith for younger listeners.

Atticus the Storyteller's 100 Greek Myths by Lucy Coats and narrated by Anthony Lewis. There's also a volume 2.

Dr Dolittle by Hugh Lofting and read by David Case

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and various performers.

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg and narrated by Jan Miner

The Tale of Desperaux and Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

We've listened to a good amount of audio books but the ones that both the dc come back to time & time again are these (sorry if there are repeats others have mentioned ... )

Paddington Bear Series (my all time favourites!!)

Adventures of Reddy Fox (librivox) (youngers)

Adventures of Jimmy Skunk (librivox) (youngers)

Adventures of Buster Bear (librivox) (youngers)

Adventures of Paddy Beaver (librivox) (youngers)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (any edition)

Danny the Champion of the World

Fantastic Mr. Fox

A Little Princess (any edition)

Little Lord Fauntleroy (abridged)

The Railway Children

The Horse & His Boy

Prince Caspian

G.A Henty stories read by Jim Weiss

Happy listening :001_smile:

ETA: you said audio books, not cast dramatised, so trimming the list ....

Edited by tuesdayschild

My kids love lit, history, science, sci-fi. We are a G rated family : )

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, all of us were spellbound.

We have also enjoyed Swiss Family Robinson, and Magic Tree house stories are a staple in our house.

Also, my kids are younger, but we just listened to The Lion, Witch & wardrobe (fast forwarded through the scene where aslan was killed)