Menu

Adult ADD

My dh got dx'd last year at age 42. He went to his primary physician. DH decided to use ritalin and he loves it. He takes a lot less than is recommended. He's supposed to take a pill in the a.m, then another 4 hours later, but he usually just takes the one pill in the a.m. so he can get a bunch of work done first thing in the morning.

It hasn't changed him at all, other than to make him be able to think of fewer things at a time. His thoughts were always racing and jumping from topic to topic.

He made it to 42 without the drugs and so he has some considerable coping techniques, but he says the ritalin makes it a LOT easier to knock out tasks at work without the constant mental distractions.

At the HS convention this weekend I listened to Diane Craft speak about using nutrition and simple at home brain hemisphere integration therapies for ADD and other things. You can google her name to get her website and consulting firm. She can also be reached at HSLDA as a consultant for members when she's not at a convention.

Yeah, I my biggest fear is that it could affect my security clearance.

Worse (if you want to stay in), I think it would initiate a bar to re-enlist. People with disciplinary actions against them who are diagnosed ADD sometimes receive an unwanted administrative discharge.

Seeing someone outside of the military medical system could get you some help even if you don't go the medication route.

As of right now, there is about an 85% chance I won't reenlist anyway, but I do want to be certain not to shut that door too early. I have no disciplinary actions against me either. I My clearance is a lot more valuable to me right now also. I will ask around and see what I can find out before I do anything.

As far as caffeine, i consume a decent amount most days. It does seem to help a bit.

Those of you who yourselves or spouses were diagnosed as adults, what signs should I look for? What made you go see a professional?

As of right now, there is about an 85% chance I won't reenlist anyway, but I do want to be certain not to shut that door too early. I have no disciplinary actions against me either. I My clearance is a lot more valuable to me right now also. I will ask around and see what I can find out before I do anything.

As far as caffeine, i consume a decent amount most days. It does seem to help a bit.

Those of you who yourselves or spouses were diagnosed as adults, what signs should I look for? What made you go see a professional?

Dh attempted to go to college 4 times while we were married and dropped out part-way through the first semester each time. He couldn't stick with anything--possible career ideas, hobbies, anything. It was 200% obsession and then dropped. He also thought he was a failure & stupid & all of that. He could do nothing for days on end when he wasn't hyper-focusing. His psychologist administered an ADD test and dh scored one away from the worst possible score. He also used a lot of caffeine. He worked through things for a while with the psychologist before being diagnosed & on meds. On Adderall he is on his third straight 4.0 semester so far with the same career goal for the past two years.

You might want to try increasing your caffiene intake a bit because it has been found effective in helping with mild cases of ADD.

Funnily enough, that increases dopamine production. Dh is getting over his objection to being addicted to coffee after learning that, and that Epilim (epilepsy drug) reduces dopamine production.

Dh hasn't been diagnosed as ADD, but he has a lot of the symptoms, and they are also symptoms of dopamine deficiency. I noticed an improvement in him after two months of a dietary change that was intended to help me with serotonin deficiency, and I noticed the decline when he switched his diet back.

Before the dietary changes, I could tell how many cups of coffee he'd had by the type of argument we were having. When he'd had none, he'd say the complete opposite of what he meant, and half a minute later, have no memory of having done so. Over interest in computer games is another common symptom.

Being asleep by ten can help too, but like dietary changes, it takes a few months to see improvement.

Rosie

As best as I can tell, ADD is mostly genetic, but may be due to a deficiency of dopamine...

This is correct. And ADD meds don't increase dopamine levels, but allow your brain to use dopamine more efficiently.

I know several people who were diagnosed as adults and were relieved to find out there was something they could do.

You might want to try increasing your caffiene intake a bit because it has been found effective in helping with mild cases of ADD.

Not trying to hijack, but does anyone know this... I seriously think I have ADD, but caffeine has exactly zero effect on me - positive, negative, nothing - not mood, not alertness (I could drink a jug of espresso and fall asleep). And I know it's not that I'm acclimated to it - I went off caffeine cold turkey for years when I was TTC, pregnant and then nursing, and I didn't have one second of withdrawal, headaches, craving or irritability. I think I may not have whatever chemical receptors caffeine uses to affect people.

So, my question...does anyone know if other ADD drugs work the same way - use the same kind of chemical receptors - meaning, if I got them, would they be equally ineffective?

So, my question...does anyone know if other ADD drugs work the same way - use the same kind of chemical receptors - meaning, if I got them, would they be equally ineffective?

I do not think they are the same receptors necessarily. Given that different drugs, habits, supplements, and diets have different success rates across the population of those with ADD/ADHD, I think that there are a number of different causes and co-morbid conditions that react to the treatment. I do not think you can know, or even make a good guess, at what will work for you until you give things a try. Also, specifically addressing medications, there are at least two classes of amphetamines prescribed for ADD/ADHD and another medication (Strattera) which is not even an amphetamine - so something is likely to work for you.

Supplements, medications, and habits you can try on your own. IME, nothing works as well as meds for treating symptoms if you can deal with the side effects.

Sandra

I don't think it will effect your clearance. These are not military folks, though.

There wouldn't be enough techies if they eliminated ADD'rs from the applicant base. Most of DH's office (programmers) were diagnosed and medicated for ADD or ADHD.

Sandra

I laughed at this. My DH is a medicated, ADHD programmer too. ;)

I do not think they are the same receptors necessarily. Given that different drugs, habits, supplements, and diets have different success rates across the population of those with ADD/ADHD, I think that there are a number of different causes and co-morbid conditions that react to the treatment. I do not think you can know, or even make a good guess, at what will work for you until you give things a try. Also, specifically addressing medications, there are at least two classes of amphetamines prescribed for ADD/ADHD and another medication (Strattera) which is not even an amphetamine - so something is likely to work for you.

Supplements, medications, and habits you can try on your own. IME, nothing works as well as meds for treating symptoms if you can deal with the side effects.

Sandra

What kind of side effects?

Depends on the drug. Dh is on Adderall & it is definitely an appetite suppressant. He has to eat before he takes it. I am almost certainly ADD but don't have insurance ATM (sigh) so I am taking fish oil to help a bit.

Yeah I would be okay with that. I can't seem to stop eating all the time anyway.

My dh (the one dx'd last year at age 42) has always been pretty successful at what he does, even with the ADHD. He got thru school with high marks, he advances at all his jobs, he's always on time. But he's VERY VERY hyper.

For example: at a church picnic, he went thru the buffet line. After he'd eaten a plate, he went back thru for another plate and was standing behind me. I had NOT had a single plate of food yet and the man in front of me was slow. As soon as the man in front of me moved forward a foot, DH zipped around me to get some food. He was just THAT antsy, that he simply COULND'T wait. That's pretty much the story of our lives.

Dh is gracious, kind, witty, gentle...but HYPERACTIVE. He listens to the radio, WHILE listening to a podcast, WHILE surfing the internet, WHILE listening in on conversations around him. Successfully, too! He just drinks it all in.

He decided to go to the doctor about ADHD when he was studying for his final exams for his Master's degree. He'd juggled a stressful job, studying for a masters, leading 2 different bible studies at church (one weekly, one monthly), and being a great dad and husband....but studying for the finals was finally Just Too Much. He finally couldn't juggle all the balls and was starting to drop them.

So....he asked the doctor for the meds to help him concentrate on studying. Once he took the drugs he was amazed at how much he could concentrate on studying or tasks at work.

Again...he really has considerable coping skills and made it thru life quite successfully w/o the drugs. They helped him thru the master's (he got it and also had a 4.0 average--and that was b4 the ritalin), but now he still takes them in the a.m. to help him focus at work. He is so easily distracted and does so much at a time, that he was starting to do each project sloppily or to waste time b/c of his constant distractions. He says there's a definite difference when he has the meds and he can focus. He says it's a big relief not to be so mentally distracted.

Frankly, it's sometimes nice being married to someone w/ ADHD. When he gets bored, he starts working on projects and he works FAST. Just this past weekend, he was watching tv while on the phone while on a ladder scrubbing the top cupboards in the kitchen--unasked by me. He was just bored and hyper and needed something to do! (But I can tell when he has or hasn't taken the drugs, b/c he's back to doing slightly irritating things like zipping around me in line at buffet tables.)

P.S.--he eats a lot too and was looking forward to the appetite suppressant qualities of the Ritalin, but it didn't happen. He still eats a lot and is hungry like he always was. He's slightly overweight, but not horribly. (A normal 43 yo American guy.) Oh well.

Edited by Garga

Anybody read "The Crazy Makers: How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children"? Wow. I'm just soaking it all in. The premise is that many of our attention/behavior/learning issues can be traced back to additives/chemicals we ingest or otherwise get hold of somehow. It's a fascinating read that I highly recommend, if for no other reason than to gain some knowledge of what these chemicals can do. If you chose to look into this theory, you could lay off of any packaged/processed food for a few weeks and see if it helps? Just an idea. I don't at all want to assume I know your diet, or seem to devalue your issue. :001_smile: We have some of these issues in our household that we're trying to get to the root of also.

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Makers-Industry-Destroying-Children/dp/1585426261/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1311643344&sr=8-5

I seriously think I may have it. I have most of the symptoms /indicators. I think I will try to schedule a mental health appointment soon.

Have you considered the GAPS diet or at least going Gluten Free/sugar free/ casein free?

We are on the GAPS Diet and we have eliminated Grains, Starches and Sugar. We found that one of my dc stop having symptoms of ADD within a week of starting GAPS. I did too. When I first noticed it my brain felt "crystal clear". "Crystal Clear" is now my normal feeling. No more brain fog or confusion unless I am dehydrated, hungry or very tired. GAPS is a temporary albeit 2 year diet that heals the gut. Eventually one might be able to return to eating gluten although it's not the grain to start with after the 2 years of healing.

This page lists side effects of various ADHD meds. Remember that not everyone who takes the meds has the side effects.

http://www.adhdnews.com/adhd-drug-side-effects.htm

I worry more about side effects for the kids taking them. My son was on his way to an ulcer in 2nd grade and wasn't gaining weight - even with me supplying Tums and packaged milk to the school nurse's office. When we re-tried them this past winter - on both kids this time - they fell off their growth curves. BTW my kids are skinny to start with so they don't have much to play around with.

I am now looking into supplements. If I can't find something to work, my ds has no choice but to take the drugs this fall, even though he's likely to end up shorter and less healthy because of it. I'm looking at magnesium (sleep issues), zinc, omega-3's, evening primrose oil (an omega-6), and B vitamins. I'm doing individual supplements because dd is epileptic and every product that is a multi has something she shouldn't take. Sigh.

Sandra

I went to the clinic today and set up an appointment. I go in Monday to talk to the doctor. The tech or whatever seemed a little skeptical and said my problems are normal, but she set up the appointment anyway.

"Everyone is like this" doesn't mean everyone ought to be. :glare:

Rosie

ritalin/concerta/etc are just stimulants. caffiene is a stimulant. because of the way the ADD brain is wired, stimulants actually calm down the ADD brain so it can focus.

His psychologist administered an ADD test and dh scored one away from the worst possible score.

was it that computerized attention test with "1's" and "2's" both visual and auditory? (can't remember the name, was told it was standard for add testing, though I was being tested for something related. I've done it twice so far and it makes me sick:tongue_smilie:. I'm not excited about doing it again by the end of the summer.)

"Everyone is like this" doesn't mean everyone ought to be. :glare:

Rosie

:iagree: I canNOT believe some front desk people. I had a time I was seriously depressed, and had to go through hoops with my insurance company to get care. I got a "why don't you just talk to a friend?" seriously. It's none of the front desk person's business (except as to how long of an appointment slot to book) why you want to talk with the dr who employ's them!

:blush:

My dh (the one dx'd last year at age 42) has always been pretty successful at what he does, even with the ADHD. He got thru school with high marks, he advances at all his jobs, he's always on time. But he's VERY VERY hyper.

For example: at a church picnic, he went thru the buffet line. After he'd eaten a plate, he went back thru for another plate and was standing behind me. I had NOT had a single plate of food yet and the man in front of me was slow. As soon as the man in front of me moved forward a foot, DH zipped around me to get some food. He was just THAT antsy, that he simply COULND'T wait. That's pretty much the story of our lives.

Dh is gracious, kind, witty, gentle...but HYPERACTIVE. He listens to the radio, WHILE listening to a podcast, WHILE surfing the internet, WHILE listening in on conversations around him. Successfully, too! He just drinks it all in.

He decided to go to the doctor about ADHD when he was studying for his final exams for his Master's degree. He'd juggled a stressful job, studying for a masters, leading 2 different bible studies at church (one weekly, one monthly), and being a great dad and husband....but studying for the finals was finally Just Too Much. He finally couldn't juggle all the balls and was starting to drop them.

So....he asked the doctor for the meds to help him concentrate on studying. Once he took the drugs he was amazed at how much he could concentrate on studying or tasks at work.

Again...he really has considerable coping skills and made it thru life quite successfully w/o the drugs. They helped him thru the master's (he got it and also had a 4.0 average--and that was b4 the ritalin), but now he still takes them in the a.m. to help him focus at work. He is so easily distracted and does so much at a time, that he was starting to do each project sloppily or to waste time b/c of his constant distractions. He says there's a definite difference when he has the meds and he can focus. He says it's a big relief not to be so mentally distracted.

Frankly, it's sometimes nice being married to someone w/ ADHD. When he gets bored, he starts working on projects and he works FAST. Just this past weekend, he was watching tv while on the phone while on a ladder scrubbing the top cupboards in the kitchen--unasked by me. He was just bored and hyper and needed something to do! (But I can tell when he has or hasn't taken the drugs, b/c he's back to doing slightly irritating things like zipping around me in line at buffet tables.)

P.S.--he eats a lot too and was looking forward to the appetite suppressant qualities of the Ritalin, but it didn't happen. He still eats a lot and is hungry like he always was. He's slightly overweight, but not horribly. (A normal 43 yo American guy.) Oh well.

This describes me very well. I coped fairly well until things got SO stressful and overwhelming that I just couldn't take care of things anymore. I was medicated for about 9 months and I am not anymore. I can cope fairly well and the side effects of Vyvanse were pretty bad (but I didn't realize that they were side effects until I quit taking it!)

I tend to talk over people and talk in circles among other annoying behaviors. I don't filter sensory stimulation well and I really have a hard time filtering out background noise when unmedicated. Between that and my memory issues, I would really like some meds again, but it will have to wait until I can find a psych.:glare:

I tend to talk over people and talk in circles among other annoying behaviors. I don't filter sensory stimulation well and I really have a hard time filtering out background noise when unmedicated. Between that and my memory issues, I would really like some meds again, but it will have to wait until I can find a psych.:glare:

I know exactly what you mean! I didn't even notice the talking-over-people thing until I had someone (very un-gently) point it out to me. :001_unsure:

What I hate the most is not being able to accomplish simple tasks that need to be done. like, I dunno, GRADING PAPERS. Or laundry. Or remembering to eat lunch. How does someone forget to EAT? I do it all the time, though. Usually after I made a sandwich and set it down.... somewhere.

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child but have never been medicated. (My mother had issues with psychiatrists. It's a long story) Fortunately I've found many ways of coping, but after homeschooling both kids for the first time this past year, I'm finding that those coping skills are really being tried to their limit. I may actually have to go out and find a shrink (please pardon the unPC term) to be re-diagnosed. Not looking forward to that with money being so tight this past year or two.

:blush:

This describes me very well. I coped fairly well until things got SO stressful and overwhelming that I just couldn't take care of things anymore. I was medicated for about 9 months and I am not anymore. I can cope fairly well and the side effects of Vyvanse were pretty bad (but I didn't realize that they were side effects until I quit taking it!)

I know exactly what you mean! I didn't even notice the talking-over-people thing until I had someone (very un-gently) point it out to me. :001_unsure:

What I hate the most is not being able to accomplish simple tasks that need to be done. like, I dunno, GRADING PAPERS. Or laundry. Or remembering to eat lunch. How does someone forget to EAT? I do it all the time, though. Usually after I made a sandwich and set it down.... somewhere.

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child but have never been medicated. (My mother had issues with psychiatrists. It's a long story) Fortunately I've found many ways of coping, but after homeschooling both kids for the first time this past year, I'm finding that those coping skills are really being tried to their limit. I may actually have to go out and find a shrink (please pardon the unPC term) to be re-diagnosed. Not looking forward to that with money being so tight this past year or two.

My dh has a friend who also has ADHD and they're a hoot to listen to. They both just happily yell out their comments over top of each other. Since I've been married to my man for 19 years, I'm used to it, so I join in hollering out my comments as well.

The fun thing is that we can do this w/o irritating each other, because we're all ok with it. We cut each other off, talk above each other, change the topic at lightening speed and then go back to the original topic. It's a lot of fun. It's been good for my dh to have this friend where they can do these things that would be considered "rude" or "irritating" and no one cares. In fact, I think they actually TRY to out-hyper each other.

My dh has a friend who also has ADHD and they're a hoot to listen to. They both just happily yell out their comments over top of each other. Since I've been married to my man for 19 years, I'm used to it, so I join in hollering out my comments as well.

I'm jealous! I'd love to be able to do that with a friend. My sisters and I interact in this way, but we live too far away to do it regularly.

Apparently, it is pretty much required that you show symptoms prior to age 7 to get an ADHD diagnosis, according to what I have been reading... not sure if that fits me, I cant remember that far back with much clarity. Not sure what to do...

That's interesting. How on earth would they diagnose most adults? The brain docs still have a lot to learn about ADD, from what I've always been told. No one has even definitively concluded whether ADD and ADHD are a symptom of another problem (food allergies, etc) or if it is an "illness" all on its own.

I can't imagine that 20 years ago, doctors were diagnosing ADD accurately enough to screen the entire 7 year old population.

I am positive my husband has ADD. He would be so much more successful in his business if he could manage the ADD. He is always taking on too much, thinking he can do more and fit more into a block of time than is humanly possible. I sweetly refer to him as being out of touch with reality. I am certain our youngest son (whose brain works a LOT like Daddy's) has it, too. I need to look into natural treatments. I do have a bottle of magnesium chews which are supposed to be helpful, but I rarely remember to give them to DS.

I read a cool description recently of ADD, saying that it is a serious misnomer. There's no deficit of attention at all--it is actually an overload of input that you have difficulty filtering. I can see that so much in my husband, and in my son, both of whom notice...EVERY.THING. They are both so observant, it's scary.

DS went to kindergarten last year and his teacher said he had a really hard time focusing and staying on task. I see it all day, every day in him. Part of that is the age, I know. Anyway, her comments reinforced my decision to homeschool him. If he can't focus in a classroom full of kids, I'd be doing him a real disservice to send him to school (in many ways).

Thank you for the interesting thread, and good luck to the original poster!

Apparently, it is pretty much required that you show symptoms prior to age 7 to get an ADHD diagnosis, according to what I have been reading... not sure if that fits me, I cant remember that far back with much clarity. Not sure what to do...

I'm thinking my dh has a really bad doctor. This is exactly how it went down:

Doc: So, why are you here today?

DH: Well...I'm thinking I might have ADHD. I've been having a really hard time concentrating. (dh went on for less than a minute about how he couldn't concentrate on any single thing for more than 2 seconds and how it was affecting work/study.)

Doc: Ok. I'll write you an rx for Ritalin. If it works, you've got ADD. If it doesn't work, you don't. You can take 1 or 2 pills at a time. If 1 doesn't work, try 2.

DH: Thanks, doc!

DONE. There was no psych eval, no test, no form to fill out. Just the regular family doctor and my dh's self-dx. Oh wait! My dh took an online test with a bunch of questions to see if he had ADHD and the test results for the free online test basically said, "Egads, man! Of course you have ADHD! How could you think otherwise? Get thee some help!"

I think my dh mentioned the online test to the doc, too.

I'm thinking my dh has a really bad doctor. This is exactly how it went down:

Doc: So, why are you here today?

DH: Well...I'm thinking I might have ADHD. I've been having a really hard time concentrating. (dh went on for less than a minute about how he couldn't concentrate on any single thing for more than 2 seconds and how it was affecting work/study.)

Doc: Ok. I'll write you an rx for Ritalin. If it works, you've got ADD. If it doesn't work, you don't. You can take 1 or 2 pills at a time. If 1 doesn't work, try 2.

DH: Thanks, doc!

DONE. There was no psych eval, no test, no form to fill out. Just the regular family doctor and my dh's self-dx. Oh wait! My dh took an online test with a bunch of questions to see if he had ADHD and the test results for the free online test basically said, "Egads, man! Of course you have ADHD! How could you think otherwise? Get thee some help!"

I think my dh mentioned the online test to the doc, too.

See, this is the kind of doctor I need to find. I'm so afraid that any doctor I see is going to hear that I'm a SAHM who works p/t and homeschools and just tell me that that's my problem and to cut some things out of my life. When I was a younger mom struggling with having a baby and working, I was told that repeatedly, and that I should let things like breastfeeding go to give myself a break :( So not helpful, and if someone says that kind of thing to me now, I may take their head off!

What kind of doctor does one go to to get Adult ADD properly diagnosed, really listening to the symptoms and also giving careful thought to which medication, if any, would be best - without getting either "you need to cut back/relax" or "here, take this Ritalin and leave me alone".