Menu

Harry Potter PG13

We haven't watched past 3, so I am curious on the thoughts of 4 and up.

I just finished reading book 4 myself, and have given DD8 the go ahead to read it. She's been reading books 1-3 for a year (3 times each I think) but told her she had to wait a bit before going onto book 4. Finally I read it and deem it okay for her.

We had tickets to see it at midnight on opening night. I was going to take the big kids and dh was going to stay home with my little one. That plan didn't work out. Dh unexpectedly had to work overnight out of town.

My little one went with us to see it and watched up until the last 20 minutes when he crashed. If your kids have seen star wars or the like...I don't think it is too much for them to see.

If you are worried, screen it. Go with dh to see it first, then let the kids watch if you feel it is alright. That is what I did when mine were younger. This was their first opening night viewing.

Those who have seen the latest HP movie, I'm trying to decide if my 7 yr old can see it.

He's watched the other movies and was ok. Is this one worse in scariness?

My dh wants to take our sons to see it, but asked me first if I thought it was ok.

There's more fighting than in any of the other movies. It's more intense.

Have you read the last book? I don't want to give anything away if you haven't.

I did not think it was scarier that HP7 pt 1; I thought it was about the same as that one. The majority of the movie was the final battle at Hogwarts.

There was more kissing in some of the past movies than the latest one.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Has he read the books or had the books read aloud to him? My 9 yo gets pretty anxious about TV/movies, but her issues are based in anticipation. Since she's read/heard the HP books, she knew what to expect. The rest of us love Doctor Who, but she struggles with not knowing what's coming next and watches it with a blanket over her head.

She did take her blanket to HP DH pt. 2 ;). It came in handy because the theater was freezing!

I was curious myself. My dd8 LOVES all the HP movies. She didn't really like the Pt.1 though as much as the previous ones. She knows this last part is coming out on DVD and I've told her that daddy and I will watch it first. She's really into the scary stuff and usually doesn't have a problem but recently she's watching Goosebumps and started to have freaky dreams so I had her stop watching them. I think I'm going to really make a decision after see'ing it, but as for now and from what I've heard I would like her to wait another year or two.

H The rest of us love Doctor Who, but she struggles with not knowing what's coming next and watches it with a blanket over her head.

But that's the best way to watch Dr. Who :D

Our 8yo is the same way - making it hard for him to watch a lot of things.

I did not think it was scarier that HP7 pt 1; I thought it was about the same as that one. The majority of the movie was the final battle at Hogwarts.

There was more kissing in some of the past movies than the latest one.

:iagree:

Depends on how you feel about violence. If you've read the book, the scene between Mrs. Weasly and Bellatrix is in the movie, bad word and all. I didn't find any of the kisses to be at all offensive. But, it was very dark and violent.

That said, my dd14 and I both loved it! (We've read all the books together). Dh and I are going tonight, we'll see what he thinks, he hasn't read any of the books.:D

I was going to leave my just turned 7 year at home, but she's seen all the other movies at home and gotten through the first 2 books. Anyway - she put up such a stink about it, I took her. And she was totally fine and she actually liked it a bunch. I could tell she followed the whole thing well because of her comments afterwards. So if your child has seen the other movies, star wars, etc and you're alright with it, I'd go for it. Every child is different. I never dreamed I'd take my kids to these movies so young, but they're advanced readers and seem to separate fantasy and reality well.

I also thought the first half of book 7 was scarier and darker. There was a huge battle, but it wasn't gory.

Yes, we've read the books so he does know what happens.

However, I know for me that a movie can be much more intense because it's visual as opposed to what you picture in your head. I know that sometimes one's imagination can be worse then a movie but that's not really the track record with Hollywood.

I don't have any issues with the kissing. He would just say yuck and cover his eyes. ;)

Snape's death scene is the one I'm worried about most. It's pretty gruesome in the book.

In HP 7 part 1, which he has watched, the hardest scene for him was in the beginning with the Muggle Studies teacher. It was pretty intense and I covered his eyes when I realized the snake was going to eat her.

My gut feeling is that he's not ready. DH says he'll be really upset if he can't go with them. My reaction to that is oh well. He's a little boy and it's an intense movie. He's not mature enough. He's 7 and still hasn't a clear understanding between fiction and reality.

I think I'll tell him he and I can have a cozy movie night at home while DH and his brother go the theater. Another idea is to have DH take just him to see another more appropriate movie later.

DH doesn't agree.

Oh, I also wanted to add that the boys have a HP calendar in their room. Last month it was a picture of Voldemort. It really scared my 7 yr old. So much so that we didn't display last month at all. We kept it on May until it was July. So if he can't handle a picture of Voldemort......

Edited by Kleine Hexe

However, I know for me that a movie can be much more intense because it's visual as opposed to what you picture in your head. I know that sometimes one's imagination can be worse then a movie but that's not really the track record with Hollywood.

I don't have any issues with the kissing. He would just say yuck and cover his eyes. ;)

Snape's death scene is the one I'm worried about most. It's pretty gruesome in the book.

In HP 7 part 1, which he has watched, the hardest scene for him was in the beginning with the Muggle Studies teacher. It was pretty intense and I covered his eyes when I realized the snake was going to eat her.

My gut feeling is that he's not ready. DH says he'll be really upset if he can't go with them. My reaction to that is oh well. He's a little boy and it's an intense movie. He's not mature enough. He's 7 and still hasn't a clear understanding between fiction and reality.

I think I'll tell him he and I can have a cozy movie night at home while DH and his brother go the theater. Another idea is to have DH take just him to see another more appropriate movie later.

DH doesn't agree.

Oh, I also wanted to add that the boys have a HP calendar in their room. Last month it was a picture of Voldemort. It really scared my 7 yr old. So much so that we didn't display last month at all. We kept it on May until it was July. So if he can't handle a picture of Voldemort......

It's probably better not to take him right now, then. There's a whole lotta Voldemort in the movie, including some scenes that would be pretty intense for a kid who couldn't handle a picture.

DH doesn't agree.

I would probably wait, given the additional information. I don't think my 9 yo would have been ready at 7. Voldemort is a constant through the movie.

Well I wouldn't want a picture of Voldemort on my bedroom wall either! I'm not sure that's an indicator of the movie being too much for him. He's seen the other movies, so he's seen Voldemort before.

Normally I would say 7 is pretty young, but if he's seen all the others and has read/heard the last book, then I think he'd be fine. Movie 6 was freaky with the Inferi. The graveyard scene in the 4th movie is pretty scary too. Battle scenes are less scary in a way because they are further removed from real life (as far as a kid is concerned). I mean, worrying that there are Inferi under your bed is a fear a kid might have, but not suddenly being in a battle.

I'd let him go with his dad based on the information you've given.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

My 7 year old has seen all the movies. Part 1 was a bit much for him, so I decided to see Part 2 without him to be sure. He absolutely loved it, and only hid his eyes during Snape's death.

Really, I thought Part 1 was scarier overall. The kissing was in better taste than when Ron had that crazy girlfriend before. I don't think he registered her neck being chewed on by the werewolf; it was a quick shot. And he didn't even react to the ***** comment. We don't use bad words around the kids (well okay, sometimes I do let loose with ****), but my son understands they are words that are bad habits and he is not to start gaining any of those until college at least lol.

ETA:I had no idea the board would bleep my bad words. We need that on this other board I frequent where some women can't seem to put five words together without a nasty word.

Edited by renmew

Our ds's have seen all of the other HP films and will see this one as well. I thought it was about on par with Deathly Hallows Part 1 in terms of action/violence/intensity.

There are two romantic kisses, no heavy breathing, but more than a peck on the lips.

There is one use of the word b*tch. Honestly, this was the most surprising thing in the film to me. I could have done without it, but it won't keep me from letting the boys watch the film.

My kids enjoy 'scary' movies though -- they like Jaws, HP, Jurassic Park. You know what your child would be comfortable with and what he/she would not.

Snape's death was definitely disturbing..and I wouldn't take anyone young to see it. The other main character deaths are dealt with in the aftermath.

I agree~Snapes death was quite violent (blood spatters up against frosted glass). I thought his death seemed more "real" as opposed to being zapped by a wand. And it was sad. (The little girls behind us were crying.) Btw, my 12 & 13 year old and I loved the movie. Parts of it were very well paced, and actually SILENT. I can't take non~stop frenetic music during the whole film. :bored:

I agree~Snapes death was quite violent (blood spatters up against frosted glass). I thought his death seemed more "real" as opposed to being zapped by a wand. And it was sad. (The little girls behind us were crying.) Btw, my 12 & 13 year old and I loved the movie. Parts of it were very well paced, and actually SILENT. I can't take non~stop frenetic music during the whole film. :bored:

Snape's death was really sad. I know a hanful of grown women who teared up, myself included, though Snape's personal heartache would probably be over the head of a 7yo.

Can you take him to a matinee? IME coming out of a dark theater into the nice bright sunlight does a good job of dispelling any residue gloom of a movie. I took my 9yo and he was fine. When I asked him later if anything was scary, he said Snape's death was a little scary but that was it.

If you are worried about that you could also cover his eyes for that part but the audio was more disturbing in my mind. It was really a pretty good movie though, as long as you take it for what it was. Good luck.

My 8yo sat on my lap and was a bit scared at times. Mostly with the snake, which was weird because he is my big snake lover. He never had an issued with Nagini in any of the other films but this one was more scary.

He'd seen the rest of them and I really didn't want to deny him this one. When asked if it was too scary, he said no. When asked if he enjoyed it and wanted to see it again, he said yes.

FWIW, I think it depends on how sensitive your little ones are. My 8yo isn't very.

Most of my friends with kiddos 8 and under (with 8 being their oldest) are waiting for the DVD. I say with their oldest being 8 because I think there is a big difference between first kids and youngers, IMHO.

I took DD(7). She has listened to all the books at least 3 times and saw all the other movies. She was completely fine and not scared at all but she really never gets scared in movies.

Overall, it was just very INTENSE. I cried several times (happy and sad) but I think some of that really deep emotional stuff goes over DD's head.

I will not be letting my littles watch until it comes out on DVD. I think they will be able to handle the storyline in the less intense setting of our living room. DD is going this weekend with her grandpa and I am concerned it will be too much for her, but she is 11 and really really wants to see it.

My 8 yo has seen all the previous movies and they didn't scare him.

He's listened to the books on tape a bagillion times.

This last movie was his ONLY shot at getting to see Harry Potter in the theater. I took him. I think it was the highlight of his year--getting to see a real Harry Potter movie In The Theater!

FI think if your son handled part 1, he'll be fine with part 2. I also think your DH is right and that your son will be crushed if he can't go. This is his only chance to see it in a theater. There are no more HP movies.

Those who have seen the latest HP movie, I'm trying to decide if my 7 yr old can see it.

He's watched the other movies and was ok. Is this one worse in scariness?

My dh wants to take our sons to see it, but asked me first if I thought it was ok.

dh and I just went and saw it. I won't allow my six yo to see any of them, and no way would I allow a seven year old to see the last one.

I took my DS7 and DS10, and they loved it. We wrestled with the decision over whether or not to take them, but ended up glad we did.

I actually felt the violence was really, really toned down compared to the book, and tastefully done for younger viewers, without making it Disneyesque.

The kiss is a non-issue. My husband and I kiss in front of them, so it's not as if they have never heard of kissing before, and healthy teenagers who are 18 years old also kiss; it's a normal life event. It was also well-portrayed; the characters were less amorous than a lot of stuff that happens on television.

I also used to insist on reading the books prior to seeing the movies, but my 7YO in particular isn't ready for digesting all in the books, and there is definitely something about the theater experience that you miss on DVD-- this was going to be his last chance at HP.

YMMV. Different kiddos respond differently.