Menu

Anyone have a preschooler this Fall?

parias1126

I would love links to what you are using, suggestions to fun activities, etc. I am thinking of piecing some of the Timberdoodle stuff together from their full curriculum. I was thinking of definitely getting Language Lessons for Little ones and What Your Preschooler Needs To Know. The Purpllinker looks awesome! I have already ordered Smencils. I will probably also had in some of the books from the Sonlight Preschool curriculum.

I was going to send him the More @ Four Program at the public school because he had no interest at all in learning. He knew none of his letters, sounds, numbers, etc. I took him to get his eyes checked and he had a near-sighted astigmatism in both eyes and is far-sighted. Now, all of a sudden he is showing a huge interest since getting his glasses last week. I am so excited!

We have a local homeschool book fair in our area once a year. Taking him with me was huge motivation I think. He stocked up on coloring books and has been doing so much coloring. After thinking he had absolutely no motivation to learn anything, then seeing how particular he was when coloring and how he doesn't even color out of the lines amazed me.

I am now so excited to start Preschool at home which I have never done with any of my other children, but I think he really needs it and he is now asking to "do school" everyday.

I think you have a good plan. :001_smile:

I have homeschooled our dc from the beginning and now that I am going through this a 3rd time...I'm starting on a different note completely! It's like the 1st child was more fun and play and relaxed. The dc2 came along and I threw more fun, play and not so relaxed as it was work...but she CRAVED that and wanted more! Now that it's dc3's turn he's craving all the hands on learning that I've started with him and it's nice to actually see how much change I've made since I sat down with my first preschooler.

My ds is 2.5 years old and after really debating on the Confessions of a Homeschooler LOTW curriculum that I bought several months back...we're gonna do something fun, simple and hands on but well rounded and education and engaging...and it's free! Joyful Heart Learning 2's curriculum from Hubbard's Cupboard. I'm really excited and today was our official FIRST day and he LOVED it!

PreK'er here. I'm doing some Webster's/OPGTR/ETC1 for phonics, and Singapore Essential Math K for math. Plus we read aloud. I'm making lists of good books and plan to make that a bit more "formal" (ie, make sure I do it :tongue_smilie:, not make him do anything formal with them). Oh, and we also do the R&S ABC series preschool workbooks. He loves those! They include some cutting/pasting stuff, so he knows how to do that. My oldest didn't when he went to K. Oops.

Will be doing Rod and Staff's ABC series and Kumon's First Cutting book with my preschooler. He has been quietly listening in on his older sister's learning which is very surprising because he's very much my wiggle worm guy. In addition, he's attending a morning preschool class twice a week at a Christian school and will be taking taekwondo classes twice a week beginning next week. Anticipating a relaxed and fun year!

PreK'er here. I'm doing some Webster's/OPGTR/ETC1 for phonics, and Singapore Essential Math K for math. Plus we read aloud. I'm making lists of good books and plan to make that a bit more "formal" (ie, make sure I do it :tongue_smilie:, not make him do anything formal with them). Oh, and we also do the R&S ABC series preschool workbooks. He loves those! They include some cutting/pasting stuff, so he knows how to do that. My oldest didn't when he went to K. Oops.

I totally forgot about the R&S Preschool books! I think I am gonna order those too!

I totally forgot about the R&S Preschool books! I think I am gonna order those too!

They're great! Last summer when I got them, DS2 didn't know ANY colors or numbers at all. He just wasn't learning them by "living life" (he had a speech delay, and a lot of stuff got delayed with that). I wasn't expecting a lot out of him, but just starting to show some clue what the color blue was (especially when he watched "Blue's Clues" :tongue_smilie:) would have been nice. We started with the first book, and within a few weeks, he knew his colors! We started the Counting With Numbers book, and he quickly learned to count, including one-to-one correspondence! I was like this: :001_huh:

So I think they're awesome books. So simple, fun, and CHEAP. :D We're still going through the C book, and haven't started on D, E, or F. I might get the GHI series for his official K year, just for grins.

I'm going to be using those sites as well!

I have 3.5 year old dd, and she is doing Little Hands to Heaven as well as some Rod and Staff preschool workbooks. We started last week, and so far she loves her special school time.

We are currently using LHTH!

In the fall I will be using Fruit for Tender Hearts from http://teachmejoy.com and printables from the above mentioned sites, as well as Abeka k4 phonics

Here's the schedule I'm doing with my son. He is 3 1/2 and isn't ready for "workbook" type books so the activities are all more hands-on. I'm really excited about his schedule and can't wait to start! I based it on the Timberdoodle suggested schedule....

Curriculum

Butterfly Park Phonics1 lesson per week

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know3-4 selections

Preschooler Activity Book1 lesson per week

The Music Box4-5 selections

Bambino1-2 per week

Big Bag of Science2 experiments

Bubber1-2 per week

Colorful Caterpillar Game1-2 games

3D Feel and Find1-2 per week

Fanta Color1 per week

Poke-A-Dot Counting1 time per week

Magna-alphabet1 time per week

Big Book of Things to Spot1 per week

Lift-the-Flap Picture Atlas1 page per week

Bubber1-2 sessions

Reading a-loud5 days per week

Edited by ColoNative
formatting issues

My ds is 4 1/2. I sorta consider us homeschoolers since birth, but things are getting a little more formal - if for no other reason than to get in the habit of sticking to the plan of daily learning time. I also really enjoy 1+1+1=1 and homeschool creations. We've always done tot school and are just developing that some more: lots of games and activities. In August I'll be starting OPGTR and I'm considering either get ready, get set, go for the code or jumping into ETC1. Kumon books. A geography curriculum I'm putting together myself. We already do calendar daily but I'd like to start a bit of memorization and adding a few other things to that time (like a 100s chart, more complex patterning etc). Lots of reading - he really enjoys the easy novels we read at lunch and before bed. Some of the What your preschooler needs to know, but we're Canadian so our focus is elsewhere for a lot of it. We live on a ranch, so there's a ton of incidental learning outside too. And his little brother (2) is following along for the ride!

Dd is going to her play preschool again this year (with a lady from our church--dd adores her and it's mostly play & reading based with lots of art, since I stink at art, lol). That's just a couple of hours a week. At home we are using MFW K and Singapore Essentials K, plus Lollipop Logic. We started over the summer to give her something to do while her favorite play preschool :tongue_smilie: was on summer break. If we finish before the school year ends I'm not sure what we'll use. I'll evaluate that when we get there! She is also taking gymnastics. I have some Kumon books but she's not a big fan. Oh, I forgot we have ETC Online that she uses sometimes, too, at about ETC 1 level.

I'm planning to use B4FIAR with my 3 year old this year. I'm amazed at how much he's learned from just being around big sis during her schooling. He's not interested in seat work yet (except for coloring blank paper or coloring books) but I have a Pre-K workbook and I may do some booklets from enchanted learning if he wants to do school along side his big sis. We go to a co-op one afternoon a week for sister and he'll get to participate in a pre-k class there. At this point, I'm just going to follow his lead, but I don't think we'll be doing a whole lot this year other than lots of reading and some living math - and of course art!

DD turns 4 this september. We are going to be doing preschool packs from homeschool creations, language lessons for little ones, Sonlight P3/4 and then 4/5 starting about mid-year, HWOT, Jolly Phonics and a variety of games, puzzles, activity trays etc.

She is the youngest of 4 and begs to do school 7 days a week. SHe was so upset last year when she was 3 and the math curric arrived for everyone else and there was none for her. I got her a cheap K level math book from the $store and she loves it. I *may* get her mathematical reasoning book closer to the mid-point of the year based on what she wants/needs. For at least the first half of the year we will play with manips, practice patterning, counting, shapes etc. I don't want to push her too much too soon, but she is so eager to get in there and do what the others are doing.

I do! I do!

Ds #2 will be in Pre-K this fall. He is going to a Montessori Pre-K twice a week and then we will do AAR Pre-Level 1 & HWOT Pre-K at home. He is really beyond the AAR, but he loves crafts and coloring and adores Ziggy, so I figured we'll go through it and cement things in the next couple of months until AAR 1 comes out.

I'm still sort of undecided about math. I have RS A but it was difficult for ds 1 at that age, so I'm considering doing MEP Reception. I don't know yet, but I still have about 6 weeks to decide!!

DS will be four in August and I'm getting really excited about doing preschool with him. We'll be doing OPGTR with Bob Books, MEP Reception and/or Singapore Essentials with cuisenaire rods for play. We'll do lots and lots of read-alouds and also do the R&S Preschool series. I'm thinking about getting HWOT Pre-k but I mostly just want to work on writing his name this year. I have also looked at preschoolpalace.org and may do that for more arts & crafts and creative activities.

I really want this to be a fun, relaxed year, but I also want to make sure that he's not bored and teach him that learning is fun.

My younger DD turned 4 back in March....she's been doing "work" with big sister since she was three though.

She participates in the following with my 7 year old:

Bible (Positive Action Bible Curriculum)

Science (so far it's been nature/animal/plant type stuff....we'll be starting RS4K in the fall though)

Grammar (First Language Lessons)

Artistic Pursuits (when we actually get around to it)

SOTW 1

Apart from her sister, I do the Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code books with her....we're only on the first one though. However, I may switch over to OPGTTR. I tried it with my older DD and it didn't really work for her. So I may try it with my 4 year old.

And I'll throw in some simple math too....nothing too advanced. Recognizing numbers, counting, reinforce shapes, etc.

My dd is 4.5, and we've been doing MFW K, Singapore Essential Math K, Pathway Learning Through Sounds workbook and A Beka cursive K4. We did HOD LHTH this past year, and we've been reading through the Sonlight P3/4 and now 4/5 books. Soon I'll add in A Beka's K4 Art projects when she wants to...she loves coloring, cutting and gluing. :) We don't do all of those every day though. We usually do MFW K 4 days a week, and I may add in one of the other books depending on what was covered that day. She asks to do cursive almost every day, but I think it she just likes coloring the pictures that go along with the letters :lol:.

Edited by krismoose

My son is newly 4 and we'll be starting our Pre-K year the day after Labor Day.

Bible: Reading aloud from his Bible story books

Reading: HOP/Phonics Pathways/McGuffey

Writing: Homemade letter/number tracing and moving to short copywork

Math: Daily calendar notebook/Singapore/RS Games

We're already doing most of this and "school" time takes about 30-40 minutes per day (not all at once).

Then we have our monthly themes with lots of read-alouds, crafts and pretend play as learning tools.

I've got my last one who will be 3/4 this school year. She will go to our church's play based pre-school 2 morning 2 hrs each. At home we will run through Weefolks (in my sig). This summer we've done BFIAR. She also likes Starfall. I will probably read through Sonlight stuff with her this winter. She is very, very active and totally not ready for reading and doesn't have the fine motor control to form letters yet. I tend towards later academics anyway so it's all good.

Starting PreK here with my 4 year-old. The core of our program:

Reading - OPGTR, ETC1, lots of read alouds

Math - RS A + Miquon (more like pre-Miquon)

Lots and lots of fine motor activities (he's probably ahead of the curve on this but I think its important)

Other stuff: Science is Simple, Artistic Pursuits, Starfall, puzzles, crafts, Kindermusik, swim lessons, bike riding, weekly hiking/nature club, camping, ski school in the winter, lots of field trips (zoo, aquarium, botanical garden, etc.)

To the answer the thread question, yes. However, my dd4 will be three hours at a good Montessori. We will be then afterschooling, technically.

Miquon (gently)

Starfall

Books on tape

Crafts

Living books, esp. Science and Literature

She will continue piano and ballet.

I fell for the Timbernoodle curriculum too.We have just finished LHTH with my 4.5 year old and I dont think he is ready for LHFHG .I ordered the Timbernoodle books .Im waiting for the purplLinker [held up at customs Grr].The books of I can... cut,paste,trace,fold ,draw... he loves doing We are storming through them.I love the Language Lessons . The Beginning Thinking skills books,I think have been great at building his auditory processing skills.[He has somespeech delay] .With maths book-he can now tell me, without counting groups of 1-4 .

My guess is that we will be have worked our way through this in a few months -especially if I have to keep making him stop doing school to go to bed.

I'll be preschooling at home with all three of mine this year. They are only 12 mos apart in age, and even close developmentally. We plan to preschool again next year, so are aiming at a PK3 this year. Our plan:

SL P3/4 read alouds

Kumon first steps workbooks

lots of art, puzzles, games, and Leapfrog DVDs.

in the spring, add:

AAR pre-level

HWOT pre-K

Still trying to decide what (if any) pre-math to do this year. Leaning toward just doing counting, sorting, shapes, etc games this year and doing something more structured next year with PK4.

I will have a preschooler this fall!! So far my tentative plans are:

RightStart A, along with recommendations from Math Mammoth

Before Five in a Row

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know

All About Reading Pre-level I like the looks of this I just keep getting tripped up on the price tag! :tongue_smilie:

That's it so far!