Menu

Realistic Cookbook recommendations?

I am trying to cook more from scratch for many reasons. I am looking for what I call realistic cookbook recommendations. :D I don't want to have to run out and buy new exotic ingredients for each recipe. I want plain old fashioned home cooking. Do you have a cookbook that you really love that you could recommend?

Edited by melmichigan

I LOVE the Our Best Bites cookbook. I haven't tried anything that I don't like. Their recipes are mostly from scratch, although sometimes they'll say to get a refrigerator pizza dough, in which I just use the pizza dough recipe they have in another part of the book. (I think they just want to make their recipes easy enough that if you don't want to cook from scratch, you don't have to.) They have a blog, so try stuff from the blog first. If you like, order the book. I love them.

I now spend much of my time searching for recipes online. Allrecipes.com is a favorite.

If I am looking in print, I often go to the library and check out a bunch at once. I find a few recipes I like and just copy them to my recipe box.

Yes, those are the ones. Taste of Home and More with Less.

I would add the Betty Crocker International Cookbook because the recipes are easy, taste reasonably authentic, and don't call for exotic ingredients.

If you garden, consider the veggie cookbooks by Renee Shepherd (google these). They are alphabetical by primary vegetable, pretty easy, great, unusualish ways to use big quantities of fresh produce from a fairly normal gardent.

For that occasional fancy dinner, get one of the Sunset French cookbooks--either French Cooking or Country French Cooking (don't get both; they have a lot of the same recipes.) As the BC international one, these are easy, authentic, and turn out well without delving deeply into weird special order items.

I now spend much of my time searching for recipes online. Allrecipes.com is a favorite.

If I am looking in print, I often go to the library and check out a bunch at once. I find a few recipes I like and just copy them to my recipe box.

I do this. I'm trying to get rid of all but my favorite cookbooks. So many recipes are available online now that I don't think I need shelves of cookbooks. I will often browse the cookbook section at the library then check a bunch out to look over at home.

One of the books I'll be keeping is Cheap. Fast. Good. It's from scratch cooking that's easy and doesn't require expensive, uncommon ingredients.

Joy of Cooking is also great to just sit down, read and learn. It's almost like a textbook. Some exotic stuff but lots of basics as well and a fantastic pancake recipe!

:iagree:

There is so much wonderful, extra information in this book--how to tell when various produce are ripe, different cuts of meat, etc. It is encyclopedic, and for that reason I highly recommend it. Most of the cooking is "normal."

:iagree::iagree::iagree:No western kitchen is complete without one.

My parents' copy is now coverless and the spine is held together with duct tape. The pancake page has a thin beige coating on it that's actually almost 40 years of pancake batter splatter. My sister and I were going to fight over who got it but I since found a used edition with a charming image of an element lightly burned onto the cover and let her have the family book. :)

It's almost like the Bible. It's one of those books that inevitably has a life beyond just the words printed in it.

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison is one of the most useful cookbooks I have ever owned (and we are not vegetarians!). Highly recommended.

/QUOTE]

Yes, it is very good, but it has a *few* ingredients, like orange flower water, that, while you can get them at Safeway, most don't have on hand. (It is for a great recipe for fresh cranberry relish.)

Joy of Cooking is also great to just sit down, read and learn. It's almost like a textbook. Some exotic stuff but lots of basics as well and a fantastic pancake recipe!

I could make that basic pancake recipe in my sleep!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:No western kitchen is complete without one.

:iagree:

There is so much wonderful, extra information in this book--how to tell when various produce are ripe, different cuts of meat, etc. It is encyclopedic, and for that reason I highly recommend it. Most of the cooking is "normal."

That extra info -- usually in a paragraph ("About") at the beginning of a section -- is invaluable. If you understand why you are doing something, then you have the tools to adapt a recipe if need be. The Know Your Ingredients section at the back is also very helpful.

My parents' copy is now coverless and the spine is held together with duct tape. The pancake page has a thin beige coating on it that's actually almost 40 years of pancake batter splatter. My sister and I were going to fight over who got it but I since found a used edition with a charming image of an element lightly burned onto the cover and let her have the family book. :)

It's almost like the Bible. It's one of those books that inevitably has a life beyond just the words printed in it.

Does it matter what edition?

Yes, it does matter what edition. The 1997 one was very controversial -- most people would avoid it. I have an old, early edition, but the one I use most is the 1975 edition, which is still available on Amazon. I have not seen the anniversary edition, but it sounds OK. My recommendation would be the 1975 version -- tried and true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joy_of_Cooking

http://www.cookbkjj.com/college/joy.htm

I doubt you'll be sorry to have Joy in your house. It has so many recipes! There is something for every meal, every cut of meat, etc. Plus, all the simple stuff other books may leave out, like how to bake a potato.

Edited by Alessandra

I heartily agree with the recommendation for Joy of Cooking. In our house, we call that the Bible. My husband's mother gave him a copy as a teen and told him he'd need to learn to cook from somewhere! (He's a great cook. Thanks B!!) So our copy is almost 30 years old now, and very well loved. And the pancakes *are* fabulous! My kids say I make the best pancakes ever, and JoC is the basis for my recipe. The oatmeal gem cookies are also very yummy! :D

I also like the Moosewood Cookbook for simple, wholesome recipes.