Menu

Look! A list of non-Catholic Churches!

I didn't write the list!

Come ON people! Who on earth would honestly think I sat down and wrote all of that crap? It's off of wiki! Which is notoriously awful! Which I noted!

This thread was written to point out an absurdity and its being taken seriously?

a

I know Asta! I don't think anyone is taking it seriously! Just looking it over and naturally we go straight to where our expertise is and can't help sharing our knowledge! :D

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Asta! I don't think anyone is taking it seriously! Just looking it over and naturally we go straight to where our expertise is and can't help sharing our knowledge! :D

I'm sorry they marginalized you, by the way.

a

The Beachy Amish Mennonite constituency is a loose association of Anabaptist churches without a central governing body. Because of the loose structure, few common characteristics are shared by all Beachy congregations. Some similarities include adhering to the Dordrecht Confession of Faith and practicing varying degrees of Anabaptist practice, such as nonresistance, separation from the state, and adult baptism.

I am really disappointed the actual beach is not involved.

D:

Free Methodistis a holiness movement church, not Methodist. It just shares a name. It derived from John Wesley just like Nazarene. Whoever placed it placed it incorrectly.

Actually, Free Methodists are very closely connected to both the holiness and Methodist movements. Because of this, it is correct to place them on either list. (I have studied FM history as a ministry leader and have taken many classes.)

But hey -- just another little detail on the long, long list. The greatest enemy of the church from the beginning has been division, division, division. "Come on everyone...can't we just get along?"

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Actually, Free Methodists are very closely connected to both the holiness and Methodist movements. Because of this, it is correct to place them on either list. (I have studied FM history as a ministry leader and have taken many classes.)

But hey -- just another little detail on the long, long list. The greatest enemy of the church from the beginning has been division, division, division. "Come on everyone...can't we just get along?"

Blessings,

Lucinda

BTW - what is the holiness movement? I've never seen or heard of it before.

a

They are probably getting dissed on for not using the Nicene Creed and not following the recommendations of the Council of Nicea.

I take it to mean they use the apocrypha.

I love my Oxford Bible that includes some of the Apocrypha. Once you go Oxford you never go back baby!!

:iagree: I luvs my Oxford!

THANK YOU for taking it in the spirit with which it was meant. :D

I knew you weren't being contrary - I think it does point out that some things are just semantics.:tongue_smilie:

Whew!!!!

Ok....I can hear you again! :D

All is fine. You may now return to your previously scheduled Repelling Converts InAdvertantly

:D

Alternately, the Frowny-Face movement?

:lol::lol::lol: That can't be the only definition of holiness movements, though, because my former Independent Baptist KJV-only church was part of that as well (and I don't think they are part of the holiness movement!)

Come on Asta! We all know you have nothing better to do than make up lists of Protestant Denominations in the middle of the night.;) No way did you cut and paste all that.

On a more serious note, it really is eye opening when you realize ANYONE can start a church, slap a name on it, and it is instantly "Protestant." An interesting theological discussion for another thread.:001_smile:

Blessings!

Dorinda

:lol::lol::lol: That can't be the only definition of holiness movements, though, because my former Independent Baptist KJV-only church was part of that as well (and I don't think they are part of the holiness movement!)

:lol:

I think most churches are part of the "Frowny Face" movement. There's several in every pew. Sometimes I want to ask, "If you hate it so much, why are you here?"

Oh yes, I'd love to have a discussion about the "one holy" church vs. all the others. :lol: :001_rolleyes:

Can you imagine the sparks on that one! It would be like a Harry Potter film!

Oh, wait - then a whole bunch of people wouldn't read it...

a

Oh yes, I'd love to have a discussion about the "one holy" church vs. all the others. :lol: :001_rolleyes:

a

:lurk5: I am preparing snacks for the smackdown.

Just a correction--maybe I should post to Wiki, since anyone (moron) can post there--

The Anglican Church is Reform? I would never call myself part of the Reform church.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and the list of churches "Of (some country)" implies each has a different theology--erroneously. It is more about the governing of that church.

bristlebristle.

For whoever asked what Holiness Churches teach I thought I would specify.

First, they are Arminian rather than Reformed in doctrine. So they are going to hold a view that God calls, wants, and provides grace to all humankind. (For God so loved the world...) There is the teaching that we chose to respond to that or not--free human will. These churches would hold to the view that we have a bent toward sin/self in our hearts as humans rather than we inherited Adam's sin directly.

There are other churches that hold to that perspective though.

The holiness teaching, then, is a little different in these ways that I copied directly from this portion of this doctrine statement. FWIW, anyone following Christ walks deeper in him in these ways imo even if they don't call it by these terms and/or it isn't taught in the same way. It's just growth in Christ and so making it a distinctive point in the process with a specific name can be a little misleading to me. I guess while I appreciate the recognition of that growth I think I prefer it thought of more in the way the Anabaptist and Eastern Orthodox teach. But every doctrine has it's strengths/correct points and it's weaknesses.

Entire sanctification is that work of the Holy Spirit, subsequent to regeneration, by which the fully consecrated believers, upon exercise of faith in the atoning blood of Christ, are cleansed in that moment from all inward sin and empowered for service. The resulting relationship is attested by the witness of the Holy Spirit and is maintained by faith and obedience. Entire sanctification enables believers to love God with all their hearts, souls, strength, and minds, and their neighbor as themselves, and it prepares them for greater growth in grace.

Christians may be sustained in a growing relationship with Jesus as Savior and Lord. However, they may grieve the Holy Spirit in the relationships of life without returning to the dominion of sin. When they do, they must humbly accept the correction of the Holy Spirit, trust in the advocacy of Jesus, and mend their relationships. Christians can sin willfully and sever their relationship with Christ. Even so by repentance before God, forgiveness is granted and the relationship with Christ restored, for not every sin is the sin against the Holy Spirit and unpardonable. God's grace is sufficient for those who truly repent and, by His enabling, amend their lives. However, forgiveness does not give believers liberty to sin and escape the consequences of sinning.

Edited by sbgrace

All the holiness churches come out of Methodist movement equally I believe? If Free Methodist falls under either all of them do imo and there is no need for a distinct classification. It's just as holiness as the others listed. The doctrine differs substantially from Methodist imo.

It doesn't matter though. I get Asta's point now. I was just curious about her source as it's incorrect and should have read the thread to get that information and the reasoning behind the thread in the first place.

They did come from the Holiness movement I think but they have their own distinctive beliefs (ie baptism in the Holy Spirit and tongues) that aren't found in the churches on the holiness list. I see them as distinctive but there is certainly theological overlap. I don't know what your background is but I was raised Free Methodist and I certainly didn't get the rules approach you wrote! There is an emphasis upon continued growth in grace/relationship with Christ and the idea that our actions reveal our hearts and so matter. I like that aspect of the teaching and it's biblical. It can go into legalism if the emphasis moves off the heart and onto rule keeping. That's certainly something to avoid in any faith practice.

My stepdad was raised Nazarene, grandparents were Nazarene on that side, great grands on that side were Methodist. When we were taught to play cards, we were told not to tell g'ma. I went to an IFB church as a kid. Music and clothing was limited. Daddy was a sinner because he smoked. Alcohol was a sin. No dancing permitted (but we had a video of when my LDS cousin danced on stage for the Osmonds during a tv event). etc.

I was using the Pentacostals as one example. Not that they were the be all of the following paragraph ;)

My stepdad was raised Nazarene, grandparents were Nazarene on that side, great grands on that side were Methodist. When we were taught to play cards, we were told not to tell g'ma. I went to an IFB church as a kid. Music and clothing was limited. Daddy was a sinner because he smoked. Alcohol was a sin. No dancing permitted (but we had a video of when my LDS cousin danced on stage for the Osmonds during a tv event). etc.

I was using the Pentacostals as one example. Not that they were the be all of the following paragraph ;)

That's because we LDS looooove dancing. :lol: Wonder if that fact is in Wiki?

Well, I can see where that would make public dancing awkward. :lol:

where's Bill's Church? He's not listed. :lol::lol::lol:

Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."

I reject his standing as a real Christian church on the basis of the above quote!!! He can be Christianese if he wants though...

Edited by WishboneDawn
horribly bad spelling

Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."

I reject his standing as a real Christian church on the basis of the above quote!!! He can be Christianese is he wants though...

Christianese... I'm laughing so hard right now... {gasp} BWAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

That may be worse than "marginal" or a "stealth evangelist", even.

BTW - what is the holiness movement? I've never seen or heard of it before.

a

This 19th century movement sprang out of American Methodism, but spread to other nations and denominations as well. The movement "...called Christians to deeper levels of relationship with God and greater concern for the needs of hurting humanity."

Outward signs of personal holiness would include conservative dress, lack of jewelry and makeup, a lifestyle that did not include movie attendance, dancing and involvement in other "worldly" entertainment, etc. But the Holiness movement was much more than that. A great amount of fervor was aimed at missions abroad as well as reaching out to the poor, the sick and the under-trodden in local communities. There were really wonderful things that came out of the movement, but at the same time a great deal of legalism and religiosity became a downfall. (BTW, in more recent times, there has been a humble, humble repentance by the leaders of FM for mistakes such as this made in the past and there has been a concerted effort to move toward more grace and less religion.)

The Holiness movement connects the Quakers, Salvation Army, Church of God (Anderson), Nazarenes, Free Methodists, Brethren in Christ, and Wesleyan churches, who all - BTW - believe in and practice the ordination of women.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

That's because we LDS looooove dancing. :lol: Wonder if that fact is in Wiki?

I don't know about Wiki, but I did watch a series on the LDS and one section pointed out that dance class was almost more important than if you ditched school or not, or something along that line.

I don't know about Wiki, but I did watch a series on the LDS and one section pointed out that dance class was almost more important than if you ditched school or not, or something along that line.

ETA: That was the PBS special! I remember that line. Although I thought they dropped the ball in not also mentioning singing. (the MoTab Choir?! it's been around for over a century!)

I remember it was the second or third season of SYTYCD that they finally decided to hold auditions in Salt Lake City because *so many* dancers who were being sent through to the Las Vegas auditions (from wherever else in the country they actually went to to audition) were from Utah.

a

Or they would read it under the covers of the bed, using a flashlight. :lol: It would be hidden on a high closet shelf, along with the playing cards, the Ouija board, and the fifth of Jack.

Or they would read it under the covers of the bed, using a flashlight. :lol: It would be hidden on a high closet shelf, along with the playing cards, the Ouija board, and the fifth of Jack.

We that sounds positively Anglican! Except for the whole hiding it part...:001_smile:

Maybe that old ditty applies--

"Divorced, beheaded, survived..."LOL Not sure which one my branch would be. :D

Anglicans are "divorced". Episcopalians would be "beheaded" (from the CoE). Anglicans who've gone back to the RC would be "survived".

:D

Can you just ever not be offended? Ever?

How am I offended? I'm trying to add to the discussion about certain people restricting everyday things! How in the world am I being offended here? I thought I was finding common ground. I don't think I can win here.

ETA: So many things I say bother you, maybe you should put me on ignore.

How am I offended? I'm trying to add to the discussion about certain people restricting everyday things! How in the world am I being offended here? I thought I was finding common ground. I don't think I can win here.

I didn't understand it either. :confused:

But I'm sure most people can find something to utilize instead of the word "Protestant".

:lol::lol::lol: This was me reading through the lists you posted: :svengo:

At least you're not a "covert evangelizer" :blink:

http://www.gordonconwell.edu/sites/default/files/gd30.pdf

And I wonder what a "crypto-Christian" is?

Well, I can see where that would make public dancing awkward. :lol:

:lol::lol:

post to Wiki, since anyone (moron) can post there.

:lol::lol::lol:

I *never* let ds use Wikipedia when he's looking for online resources. The one year he went to school, though, he learned that Wikipedia is a valid resource when writing a paper. :001_huh: So he keeps lobbying to use it. If he likes something he finds there, he has to find the same information in at least 2 other places before he can trust it.