Menu

If you have a tatto...

would you mind sharing what of and where? Or just the what of would be fine?

I've been thinking for awhile about getting one. A friend gave me a gift card towards the cost of having it done. I'm now one step closer. I have an idea of what I want, but I want to make sure before I make it final.

Would love to hear what others have done.

I have three. I got all of them when I was 18, so they are a little ridiculous. All of them are solid black/skin colored.

First: a small star near my left hip. It would be covered in high rise undies, but shows in bikini cut. It is completely covered in any pants I wear in public.

Second: a *ahem* lower back tattoo of what DH affectionately calls "a heart with antlers." It's a tribal-inspired stylized heart. It's just as trampy as the location implies. Fortunately, it's up a bit higher than a traditional one, so it does not show in most clothes.

Third: a stylized phoenix surrounded in flames in between my shoulder blades. It's not as pretty as I would like it to be. It is the only one that shows, but only if I am wearing a tank top or bathing suit (which isn't very often in public).

I'm not particularly attached to any of them, though the star is my favorite. Though, after having a kid, I don't get to see it as much as I would like :glare:.

DH is in the process of covering two tattoos on his forearms. My advice: unless you are absolutely certain of what you want, wait. Don't get something so personal that you don't want to explain it to everyone you meet, or, if you do, get it somewhere that won't show all the time.

I have 4. I have a rose on my left hip- that was my first one. totally wall art.

I have a barbed wire/flower chain around my right ankle. This one hurt so much to get done(it is low on my ankle and right across the bones there). It was a custom design.

I have runes on a stone on my inner left wrist, from back in pagan days (ie before I became a Christian).

A maple leaf on my upper left arm. This one I am saving up to do a cover up of a better design. What I have now is just a basic leaf and looks like the fake kind we put on for Canada day. The design I have in mind is for a more realistic looking one.

Once I do my cover up I am planning on getting 1 more representing my kids, but not sure of actual design or placement yet.

I have 2. A butterfly on my right calf muscle. The second on my back, just above the bra line, kinda a tribal thing, wavy type line separated by a blue heart.

I'm getting a third, a small fairy with beautiful hair and wings, just have to design the background setting for her, and figure out where I want it at.

I have a yin yang on my left shoulder blade. It was done when I was 18, when harmony and stability were the biggest things missing from my life. Mine was done with vegetable dye because of my allergies so it is blue and pink, I like that it is far enough over that it can easily be covered if I choose even in a tank top.

I have many- mostly on my feet. A buzzing bee, a ladybug, a small colorful flower and vine toe ring. I love them. I just get a small one to add to the canvas every few years. I love nature and my feet show it :) My next one will be a tiny frog hopping among 3 small lily pads along the out edge of my foot.

Oh lordy, let's see. All of my tattoos are in black ink.

On my left breast I have a black heart (ah, youth)

On my right breast I have a black cat (LOVE black cats)

On each shoulder blade I have a moon

On the back of my neck I have an infinity symbol

My advice about a tattoo is to as yourself "Will I still love this when I am 70?"

I have a daisy on my backside/upper hip. Because of it's placement I rarely see it (and it doesn't show for anyone else.) I used to be pleasantly surprised when I would catch a glimpse of it. Now, with my religious beliefs changing, I am starting to wish I didn't have it.

I don't, but my sister does. Of course this is my younger, cooler sister. :tongue_smilie: She has two swallows on one hip and an anchor on the other. She also has her last name on her upper arm. Our cousins started that; they both have it in the same spot too. They all want me to get it but I'm a big crybaby and DH doesn't like tattoos anyway.

The swallow link explains the significance, but it's not her travel, it's for our father and grandfather.

I wanted a tattoo my entire life. My mom, who has 3 of her own, gave me this advice. Don't get one until you look at something and think "THAT'S IT!" It took me 3 years to find something that hit me like that.

I have a drawing of the Cheshire Cat on a branch, like the original illustration. It's just below my waist line on the right side of my back. I won't bore you with why, but it has a lot of meaning to me on different levels.

Let us know what you end up with.

~Cari

ps, I got mine over 10 years ago and have finally decided on the next one.

I have three. The first I got is a celtic know on my shoulder blade. The next was 2 Brian Froud elves, one leap frogging over another sitting cross-legged. Those little guys symbolize my little guys. This is on my lower back in the "tramp stamp" location. My most recent is a picture of the back of a little boy and a little girl holding hands and walking away. It was the cover of my wedding invitation. I got it on my left ankle, comemorating my 15 anniversary a few years ago.

My next is going to be my mom and dad's favorite flowers. I'm not sure where I'm going to stick it yet.

All of mine are black and grey with the exception of the hats on the elves (I got my boys' favorite colors). Obviously the next will be in color.

As far as pain, when he did my ankle bone, that was not fun. Overall, my lower back hurt the worst, even though she was a very gentle artist. It was also the hardest to heal.

Good luck!

I have three. One on my ankle (star/moon type thing), a sun on my lower back (off to one side), and a moon with clouds on my upper back/shoulder area (glad I can't see it because I have been told it looks like a sheep straddling a moon....nice). I have no regrets. Even if it is not representative of me now, it is representative of me in the past. Does that make sense? I would like one more. Our last name is an animal and I would like said animal tatooed somewhere, just not sure where yet:)

Oh, dear...went through a "stage"...

1. I have a pink rose and butterfly on the outside of right ankle. I had a boyfriend who got killed in the Army when I was in High School. He gave me a pink rose on our first "date" and I gave him a pink rose on his coffin and on his grave every year since but the 5 I lived out of state. It was my first tattoo.

2. I have a bee on a daisy on my left foot. It is supposed to be a honey bee but looks more like a yellow jacket..grr. My name means honey bee.

3. I have celtic knot on the inside of my left ankle that my best friend has a matching one.

4. I have an arm band of thorns with roses around my left deltoid. My ex has the same one...I got his name covered with more roses...note to self...don't put anyone's name on your body but your kids!

5. I have an abstract stork on my left breast...I am a L&D nurse and it is for that.

6. I have a huge moose on my right deltoid...ugh again....Moose is my nickname from my ex since Jr. High.

NO MORE FOR ME!

ETA: If it is your first tattoo, I would get it where you can cover it up if you want too. All of my tattoos are hidden when I wear scrubs at work. The only time the ones on my feet/ankles show are flip flops or shorts and my arms only when I wear shorter sleeve t-shirts...and over course in the rare event I wear a swim suit.

Edited by misidawnrn
added

I wanted a tattoo my entire life. My mom, who has 3 of her own, gave me this advice. Don't get one until you look at something and think "THAT'S IT!" It took me 3 years to find something that hit me like that.

I have a drawing of the Cheshire Cat on a branch, like the original illustration. It's just below my waist line on the right side of my back. I won't bore you with why, but it has a lot of meaning to me on different levels.

Let us know what you end up with.

~Cari

ps, I got mine over 10 years ago and have finally decided on the next one.

:iagree:

I have a turtle with a dive flag on his back just above my left ankle. I got it to celebrate becoming a master diver. I will get a panther (my dojo's mascot) to celebrate getting my black belt. Assuming I actually get it. Where is the fingers crossed smilie?

I have a purple iris designed by my dh(well, he was just my "date" back then:001_smile:) on my left ankle. I loved it then and I love it now. Reminds me of that special time when we were still hanging on each other's words.

Have not regretted it one bit.

Dh has lots of tats. He worked in a tattoo place right out of high school. he drew a lot of flash and did tattoos for a while until he just could not ink some people with images that he KNEW they would hate later.

I have a red & blue poison dart tree frog on the back of my neck, a little to one side. I like it there b/c my hair hides it (it isn't very noticeable even with my hair in a pony tail); but I can show it to someone with out embarrassment if I want them to see it.

It had a different meaning when I first got it but now for me, the FROG symbolizes Fully Rely On God.

BTW, I wanted one when I was in college, but I said I would 5 years after graduation and then decide if I still wanted it. I still wanted one after 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dreamcatcher on my left shoulder. I had it done in my early 30's when I was in the process of getting divorced. It only shows if I wear a racerback tank top or a bathing suit with spaghetti straps.

I'd like to get another one someday incorporating my kids names.