Menu

Having second thoughts about continuing with SOTW

Katydid

We've just started our school year yesterday and we are picking up where we left off last year with SOTW ancients. (DS is second grade and DD is K) We joined a co-op using this book back in January and, while they seem to have fun doing the projects with the other kids, I think 90% of the reading has gone over their heads.

So I have already been wavering about staying with SOTW this year or doing a year of American history or geography instead.

Then today we read the story about the Minotaur in SOTW and my DS was so upset about the idea of them sending the 7 boys and 7 girls off to be eaten by the Minotaur. DD was upset, too, and said, "Well, I hope we never read that story again!" :001_huh:

My kids are both sensitive and still have so much innocence.... I'm just wondering if I'm trying to push too much on them too soon IRT the reality of history and human nature.

Any thoughts about this? I'm seriously thinking of dropping SOTW and going with something like MFW Adventures this year and revisiting it when they get a bit older (maybe just continuing with MFW's cycle, if this year goes well).

Personally, I think SOTW1 (from having done the first 15 chapters or so so far with my daughter) is great for kids in like 4th grade and up. Maybe third if you had a kid who was really into it.

I know it says it's good for K and up but I just can't see any K or 1st grader getting much out of it (and apparently you say your 2nd grader isn't either).

My daughter and I are really enjoying SOTW but she's 10. I'd hold off on it for another year or two and then see what your kids think.

:iagree:My younger 2 kids are that age and I won't be doing SOTW for a few years yet. Instead we will be doing some unit studies this year, followed by a couple of years of GTG. My dd9 is doing ancients for the first time now. I believe Santa gets outed in SOTW2, so even dd will be getting a shock, as there are no signs of her catching on to that one.:lol:

I would go with MFW Adventures, or something similar, if you kids are finding SOTW too distressing ATM.

My kiddos were sensitive, too, when they were little. Do whatever is right for you and your kids, something fun and craft based that won't cause nightmares. When mine were little (back in the dark ages:tongue_smilie:) SOTW hadn't even been published, and we got by on lots of library books and a few craft books and kits.

If your kids are frightened by the stories, do something else for this year.

My kids (4, 7, and 8) all loved SOTW1. They are boys and do love blood and guts:), as long as it is in a book (or listening on audio). They won't even watch Veggie Tales or any Disney movie without being quite frightened.

Guest rbtreasures

What about something like History Pockets? It would be a lighter load with activites. Some of them cover things you might would find in SOTW so they would be somewhat familiar with the context when you return to it.

If your kids are frightened by the stories, do something else for this year.

My kids (4, 7, and 8) all loved SOTW1.

:iagree:It was fine for my son in first grade (he's reading through the whole series himself, reading SOTW3 and 4 at the same time because 4 got here a day before 3 :lol:), but he's not at all sensitive about that type of stuff. From your description of your kids' reaction, I think you should definitely put it away and pick it up again in a few years. Do some fun American history or something.

Thank you all for confirming what my gut is telling me. I did a quick search on here for American History options and came across the new Elemental History program and I think it will be absolutely perfect for us this year! It seems like it has everything I liked about MFW without all the extras (we already have a plan for Bible, Science, LA, etc.) and cheap enough that I won't feel guilty about tweaking. And it's secular! Yay! (I'm a Christian, but I am not a fan of Providential History.)

Thank you all for your insights. :001_smile:

I remember using SL Core 1 when my kids were the ages of yours, and I thought it was a bit much, so we finished Ancient Egypt and then switched over to Winterpromise's Animal Worlds for a year (and I also did MFW 1st grade). We had so much fun. I later finished the ancients and it worked out well UNTIL I tried to go on to the part with Nero and the Christian martyrs. Wow... my daughter cried and I thought, "What am I doing???" I dropped it and went to MFW Adventures mixed with Winterpromise's American Story 1. They were much happier and I learned that, with sensitive kids, it is much better to wait until they are ready for the material, and why rush? BTW, we are finally doing SOTW 2 now and my kids are ages 11 and 9... and they are happy and learning lots! We love the activity pages with SOTW, but timing is everything!

Hope you find something that works for you and your children. There is SO MUCH out there to pick from!

Blessings,

Brenda

OK, so I just went to talk to my kids about dropping SOTW and no longer doing the co-op to do American History instead. They both said they want to continue with SOTW and the co-op. :glare:

It's hard because some of our best friends attend the co-op and I know that's why they want to continue... to be with friends. And there are only four families in the group, including us, so I would hate to back out now and leave the group without a fourth teacher (we all take turns teaching... we only meet every other week, so it's not so bad). It's a good group and the kids have fun.

On the other hand, I am having a baby in September and it's already been difficult getting a group lesson prepared while pregnant. And the time is right during our toddler's nap time, which makes things even more complicated. Plus all the issues my kids are having with the content.

Gah! Do I continue using an iffy (for my kids) program just so they get the group experience, or go with one that will probably be a better fit for us, but makes them give up the fun group? :confused:

My other thought was to do American History as our school work, but just get SOTW on audio for the kids to listen to before our co-ops. That means I would still need to plan a lesson every other month and it still may be too much to keep going with a toddler and a new baby. And they are still being exposed to all those "scary" stories. But they would get to do all the fun projects with their friends. :willy_nilly:I'm driving myself crazy here... someone tell me what to do! :lol:

My kids didn't seem to have trouble with it, but fwiw, there aren't that many stories that are like that. Although watch out for Beuowulf in book 2. That's a particularly gruesome story, and we got another copy of it and it was even more gruesome. My boys liked it.:glare: Anyhow, my advice, too, would be to just skip some of the stories that you don't think the kids would like. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

I'd drop the co-op. It doesn't sound like a good fit for your family right now. We had similar problems with SOTW, so we're doing American history next year. I think it will be fun! I would like to go back and do SOTW in the future, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Oh, we've had issues with SOTW, too, lol! Now that my older is turning 10, we're beginning to really enjoy it. I don't worry quite as much as to what she'd be reading if I don't read ahead. Our younger one just turned 6 and she isn't reading well enough on her own to read it to herself. I figure that I'll just edit as we go, skipping entire sections. I like more structure than just working from a history encyclopedia or DK book, but history can be really upsetting. There's nothing wrong with skipping certain topics until they're older.

I would advise opting out of the coop. We have the audio CDs but you're going to run into the same problems there. It's a great reference, but not ideal for younger children. Maybe one day she'll come out with a version for younger children!

I know that the author of the books is the leader of these boards and all, but I have to speak now or forever hold my peace.

When reading that book, I want to claw my OWN eyes out! We're working on SOTW 1 again this year. We're a couple chapters in and dang! It's sooo boring! My kids stare out the window or sit with eyes glazed over staring through me as I read. Maybe audio would be better? But I'm thinking not. Yeah, my kids like the "art time" too, but can't even tell me one thing from the story.

I'm moving on for history and looking elsewhere.

Can you just skip those chapters that don't sit well with you, or your kids? There really are not that many of those types of stories (from what I can remember). They won't miss out if you choose to skip certain things.

SOTW is such an engaging way to teach history, and (IMO), it is very kid-friendly. My older ds got so much out of history after going through the series. My younger one just started, and so far, he's enjoying it (and he's my crazy, wild one that can't sit still).

However, at the end of the day, you have to go with what you feel comfortable teaching. Moms have a sixth-sense when it comes to their kids and what they need (or don't need). I would not overthink it, just go with your gut, make a plan, and continue on. :001_smile: You have to trust your instinct.

I know that the author of the books is the leader of these boards and all, but I have to speak now or forever hold my peace.

When reading that book, I want to claw my OWN eyes out! We're working on SOTW 1 again this year. We're a couple chapters in and dang! It's sooo boring! My kids stare out the window or sit with eyes glazed over staring through me as I read. Maybe audio would be better? But I'm thinking not. Yeah, my kids like the "art time" too, but can't even tell me one thing from the story.

What I have ds7 do is listen to the audio first, then read the story. Then we discuss. The following day we do activity, write up something about it, narration, copywork, dictation.. This all boosts memorization and comprehension.

I credit SOTW (we're finishing our second year, SOTW2) with ds' interest in History. History and Math are his favorite subjects.

Audio might be better. If I was that bored with something, I'm sure I would have a hard time making it sound interesting. I have kiddo listen to the audio a few times and then I read it, and he perks up "I remember that one!" and "He was a foolish leader". It certainly makes it more interesting to me.

What I have ds7 do is listen to the audio first, then read the story. Then we discuss. The following day we do activity, write up something about it, narration, copywork, dictation.. This all boosts memorization and comprehension.

I credit SOTW (we're finishing our second year, SOTW2) with ds' interest in History. History and Math are his favorite subjects.

Audio might be better. If I was that bored with something, I'm sure I would have a hard time making it sound interesting. I have kiddo listen to the audio a few times and then I read it, and he perks up "I remember that one!" and "He was a foolish leader". It certainly makes it more interesting to me.

Yeah, I'll look into the audio. I love history, but for some reason the way these books are laid out doesn't jive with me.

Guest momk2000

I do American History with my girls through early elementary, and start SOTW in grade 5. We did Adventures in MFW when my oldest was in grade 2, she loved it and retained a great deal of what she learned. :)

I have my issues with SOTW, but I personally think it's completely appropriate for young elementary. My boys are sweet and sensitive kids, and a few of the bits have definitely made them pause and think and maybe have a sad moment, but that's pretty rare. I think SWB handled the dark bits of history at exactly the right level for young kids. There's nothing I personally found graphic or gruesome. She doesn't dwell on violent or gory bits of history, but when something is unavoidable for a complete sense of history, she shares things in a mostly matter of fact but gentle way.

The goriest bits (such as the minotaur story) are from myth - they're not historic fact at all, which the text makes relatively clear and I think you can emphasize for your kids. I personally think all those dark stories for kids - Grimms' fairy tales, Greek myths, and so forth - serve a purpose for kids in understanding the world and themselves. Lots of people - psychologists and philosophers - have written about the positive role stories like these can play in the lives of children.

I know that the books can be used for the logic stage, but their emphasis on story and fact seems to make them clearly a grammar stage text, in my opinion.

Just to share a different perspective. The OP may still feel it's not right for her kids, but I don't think it's generally inappropriate for young kids.

Wow! That's too bad. We think it's a great book. And for those who may be considering it, but think it's too gory, it's not. There may be a few chapters that are difficult, but by and large, it is completely age appropriate.

Yeah, I'm not knocking the book at all and I do want to use them with my kids... I'm just thinking not yet.

I did make a point of telling them that it was a myth, not real, and that did seem to help a bit. And we do read unsanitized fairy tales and Bible stories, but for some reason this was different for them. :confused:

Thank you all for the different perspectives. I still have some thinking to do, but it is helpful to be able to bounce ideas off of others. :001_smile:

OK, so I just went to talk to my kids about dropping SOTW and no longer doing the co-op to do American History instead. They both said they want to continue with SOTW and the co-op. :glare:

It's hard because some of our best friends attend the co-op and I know that's why they want to continue... to be with friends. And there are only four families in the group, including us, so I would hate to back out now and leave the group without a fourth teacher (we all take turns teaching... we only meet every other week, so it's not so bad). It's a good group and the kids have fun.

On the other hand, I am having a baby in September and it's already been difficult getting a group lesson prepared while pregnant. And the time is right during our toddler's nap time, which makes things even more complicated. Plus all the issues my kids are having with the content.

Gah! Do I continue using an iffy (for my kids) program just so they get the group experience, or go with one that will probably be a better fit for us, but makes them give up the fun group? :confused:

My other thought was to do American History as our school work, but just get SOTW on audio for the kids to listen to before our co-ops. That means I would still need to plan a lesson every other month and it still may be too much to keep going with a toddler and a new baby. And they are still being exposed to all those "scary" stories. But they would get to do all the fun projects with their friends. :willy_nilly:I'm driving myself crazy here... someone tell me what to do! :lol:

This is why I wrote my own and used mostly picture books. DD was too sensitive to a lot of the SOTW and the recommended books.

I found that when my son started reading it himself, he got a lot more interested. The first few chapters of SOTW1 were a bit boring, but once it started getting into the action and myths, he perked up more. Once he started reading it himself, he got hooked. Now he LOVES history. We don't even do the activities and art projects. We just read and narrate, do the mapwork, read some extra books. He's read them at least once himself, and then for school time, I read out loud the section we're actually on (he's somewhere in the middle of SOTW3 and SOTW4 at the same time on his own), then we can have a discussion. He's retaining quite a bit that way.

Personally, I don't plan to use SOTW for logic stage, as I think it will be a bit "young" for him at that stage. I'd like to give him a spine more appropriate for logic stage level. He can read it again at that point if he wants, of course. I just won't be using it as required reading for him. I agree with the PP that said it's very much a grammar stage text.

Here is a similar thread from a while back: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109513

My DD recognizes aspects of ancient life without hearing about beheadings, etc. She finds Ancient Egyptians fascinating. What kid doesn't? There is very little focus on war when Egypt is studied.

The Assyrians can get too graphic, but you can leave that out and focus on myth (Lugalbanda) and architecture, which was a big part of what made these civilizations interesting. Abraham moved from a city that was very advanced with a system of running water and sewage to live in tents. Did you know that Mesopotamians started wearing a model of their city's walls as their crown and other countries followed suit? Think of a crown. Recognize the shape? That is from Ancient Mesopotamia. There are things to learn that are not gory.

The Trojan Horse by Emily Little is a great example. Children are familiar with the life-styles and geography of Greece and Troy and introduced to the story of the Iliad so that they will recognize it when it comes up later (it is not as intimidating), but they don't have to hear about the mistreatment of Hector's body, and other gory details to be familiar with the story.

Of course, for all of that historical knowlege to be applied to a greater understanding more maturity is needed, but putting the history in a bit at a time starting early is one of the things that WTM is all about.

Personally, I don't plan to use SOTW for logic stage, as I think it will be a bit "young" for him at that stage. I'd like to give him a spine more appropriate for logic stage level. He can read it again at that point if he wants, of course. I just won't be using it as required reading for him. I agree with the PP that said it's very much a grammar stage text.

:iagree:As usual. :D

My kids are very sensitive too and one is especially sensitive. In fact Snowflake Bentley made him cry today. I am not planning to do SOTW (along with MOH I believe) until 4th grade.

Our history so far has been US history. I've been following Core Knowledge Curriculum but I'm leaving out ancient history for now. I'm planning to move through all of US history in first and second grade. I'll do ancient history including the core knowledge objectives using a Child's History of the World and other resources in late 2nd into 3rd grade I think. I'm hoping I can cover the core knowledge ancient history objectives for 1st and 2nd grade toward the end of 2nd grade. If it's too much we'll do unit studies and then pick up ancients using SOTW/MOH in 4th. I have no problem doing what works for my kids.

If you really want to cover ancients though I'd just create my own curriculum that met their needs. It's harder without a spine but you could use parts of SOTW, part oral telling of things, part library books, etc. for spines and do tons of projects and exploration as the meat of your curriculum. I think that's entirely appropriate at this age and there is so much available for ancient history.