Menu

For those of you who tie literature to your history study..

Yes! Of course I have. LOL. It's just that the draw of literature seems to keep pulling us off track.....I'm curious about how others do it. I am looking at SWBs resource lists for the Middle Ages this evening and thinking about some other approaches to literature that I am also planning to add, such as MTC's new program.

I looked at the time period I wanted to study, then gleaned from Veritas Press, Sonlight, WP, and TOG, along with looking at the SOTW AG. Since I was planning 6th grade (Modern History--1850-present), I looked for more "meaty" books.

I was able to read quite a few--lots available at our library. I don't know if we will use the list, as we are now looking at 7th grade (but I do think we will stick with Moderns).

I basically took each chapter of SOTW 4 (which I thought we'd use--now I'm not sure if we will do it or maybe K12's book of the time period), wrote out what subjects were covered, and found coordinating lit using the above sources.

We would have read the chapter, done some of the activities (map, discussion, outlines, encyclo research, maybe art/cooking/game type stuff) and dd would read the book that goes with the chapter (sometimes more than one, sometimes none--if none, then she'd just free-read). I had plenty of books, but also was happy to leave "holes" b/c dd wants to read books that aren't just historical fiction or written at the time we are studying, and I think it's good to read different genres.

Edited by Chris in VA

I just choose literature based history curricula. The books are already chosen and planned out.:D

If I chose to create my own program using a text or an encyclopedia as a spine then I would use lists from different sources like Ambleside, Sonlight, Beautiful Feet and WTM to create my literature list.

I hit the library (we have a great children's librarian). I also plug in reading suggestions from WTM, HO, and other sources into Amazon and wish list them; it's amazing what suggestions pop up!

As far as time goes: although I am more task than time oriented, I do budget (mentally) about 2 hours per day 3x/week for ds10 and 1 hour 3x/week for DS7 for history; we use HO. If that day's lesson is really short, we'll fill in with extra reading from the history reading list.

There is also separate reading time for each-- 45 min/day for DS 10 and 30 for DS7-- and I alternate between history related and general literature.

Finally, we have read aloud time daily. Maybe it won't always be, but so far ours have been history related.

And of course, the books are left out right next to the TV... It's amazing how many times they have begun to choose reading instead of the tube during their own free play time!

I keep a variety of biographies, literature, fiction, non-fiction, you name it, on-hand. DS10 will read anything featuring Alexander the Great or Spartacus or mythology. DS7 has an affinity for Socrates-- a guy who was also very chatty, and would have understood being 7 and needing to ask constant questions :).

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!

I looked at the time period I wanted to study, then gleaned from Veritas Press, Sonlight, WP, and TOG, along with looking at the SOTW AG. Since I was planning 6th grade (Modern History--1850-present), I looked for more "meaty" books.

I was able to read quite a few--lots available at our library. I don't know if we will use the list, as we are now looking at 7th grade (but I do think we will stick with Moderns).

This is what I do as well.

Our curriculum (Oak Meadow) does this...it's one of the things I like about it. We've used it for 4th and 5th grades now, and Language Arts and Social Studies are always integrated. They assign living books that pertain to the social studies material (and suggest supplemental books along the same lines). Then whenever there's some sort of writing assignment for Language Arts, it will tie into the social studies material and reading...

They select the books for me for the most part but you could probably look up "living books about _____" and put in whatever you are studying and see what comes up that you can get from your library.

Once we decided what we will be studying for history, I start looking for books written during and about that time and place. I peruse reading lists from various sources, browse the Barnes and Noble website (paying special attention to the "customers who bought this also bought . . . " feature), etc.

Then, I look around and see which of those titles I can acquire inexpensively (PaperbackSwap, BookMooch, used bookstores, sellers here, etc.) and I obtain a nice stack of books.

I then put them in chronological order (or, sometimes, another order if it is appropriate to go with the history I have planned), add up the number of pages, divide it by the number of weeks in our school year and tell my son to read that many pages per week.

how do you do that? What specific resources do you use, and how do you incorporate them?

Thank you!

I planned the novels and non fiction we will read based on the WTM recs for reading in ancients (the period we are doing) and the SOTW AG...The book recs I used came from the reading section of WTM, it has more than the history section...

We are waiting until we get to the modern era to do MCT's literature books...

• 3 weeks later...

We use SOTW, so my first resource is the SOTW AG/TWTM. Between the books suggested there and other books at my library, the extra history reading is easy to cover. Lit is often a bit tougher, although that's partly because we're still doing ancients. I was so relieved when we finally got to Homer and Aesop!! Our library's online catalog has a really good search function; we can set the parameters to search for "juvenile fiction," so that helps. I'll also look at Veritas Press and Sonlight for suggestions. And many lists have been posted here or on certain posters' blogs.

1. TWTM lists

2. library: I browsed the Middle Ages shelves and found a Magic Treehouse research guide for the Middle ages, and realized that King Arthur & Robin Hood fall under that time period, so there you go, we have a good start and there are

2 whole shelves to go!

3. I'm going to look at the Ages of Grace reading list

4. Random internet searching:001_smile:

5. books of saints' lives for medieval Christian saints

6. random memories of books I've read