Menu

Are there things you buy new for every baby?

DH and I are planning on having another baby, hopefully next summer. Our youngest will be 5. For ds we mainly used things we already had, buying new little things like burp cloths, wash cloths, etc. With so much space between #2 & #3, we don't have a whole lot left. We gave most of it away to various people and got very little of it back. Including all of my maternity clothes. What do I do? Is it rude, 3 years later, to ask someone for my stuff back? I don't want to put them in an awkward position of having to tell me that they no longer have it, but at the same time, I never said that it was ok for them to pass it on/throw it out/sell it. Also, are there any items that you buy new for each child? Onesies, etc.?

I'm in the same position. Our youngest is 4 and I've given away/sold all of our baby stuff. I'm due in October with #3.

I've been scouring Craigslist, garage sales, and consignment shops. I have found some GREAT deals. I mean, a baby swing sales for $70 or $80 in the store. I picked one up at a consignment shop for $20. A floor gym sells for around the same price in the store. At a garage sale, I found one for $10. Just ran it through the washer and wiped the hard pieces down. If you started looking now, you'd be all set for when baby arrives.

As for clothes, I have some clothes left from my other children, but they are mainly 2T and up. All the baby clothes had stains, etc, so they got thrown out. So that's what I'm having to purchase the most of.

I had to buy new maternity clothing....but I would have had to anyways since I'm a different size. Burlington Coat Factory has a decent maternity section with good prices.

You could mention the maternity clothes to the person in a "just wondering" kind of way.

Just put the word out that you're looking for baby stuff. Maybe some of your old stuff will come back to you. Maybe people will gift their old stuff to you. My friends and I will keep an eye out for things at garage sales that we know they're looking for. (For instance, a high chair) I bet you'll have everything you need in no time!

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking people if they still have your stuff. If it were me, I would be excited if they still had it, but not let it bug me if they didn't. Garage sales and consignment shops are awesome! I got some great stuff from consignment shops for Schmooey.

I agree with T'smom - just put the word out, and you will get maybe some of your stuff, and maybe someone else's. You will be surprised, I think, by how much people love to bless others with stuff! It was SO much easier for me to give my things away to people I knew with babies I got to meet.

For each child it was the little things that got plenty dirty like burp cloths and onesies that I bought new. There is a large gap between my #2 and #3--7 years. So I had nothing with my youngest, not even maternity clothes. No crib, nothing. I survived with one nice outfit for church, one pair of pants, a jumper and some sweatpants.

As to the maternity clothes--did you specifically say you could *loan* them? If not your friend may have thought you were giving them to her. Perhaps a gentle inquiry: I wondered if you still had my old maternity clothes? I'm hoping to need them again soon.

We had 6 years between our third and then boom 2 in a row. We had nothing left.

Our good will has a nice selction of in style maternity clothes. I needed new bras and panties.

Car seat..I like chicco and then Britax.

Moby Wrap for infants and my Ergo once they hit 1. I actually still had my Ergo. Both of these come up on babysteals.

I still had my clothes diapers but needed new covers for the smaller sizes.

When I was pregnant with the latest my mom wanted to buy me something. I ended up getting one of the really fancy new swings and I love it. My kids aren't at the weight limit till over a year, ao it was worth it.

If you use a crib, please buy new. Ikea has great crib prices. We have a pack n play if we need it. Otherwise I am too lazy to get out of bed at night:tongue_smilie:

I was able to use my infant seat from ds for dd1 as they were close enough in age, but had to buy a convertible when she got older of course.

I did need some toddler diapers as those get much more use. Bought a new baby carrier. Next baby will need more toddler diapers(last ones I bought used and didn't hold up). I will need new baby clothes. I need a new diaper bag, mine has been falling about since #2. If it is a boy I will need clothes(lost those in the fire or donated them). Will need a new seat as dd2 seat is a convertible and old infant seat is now outdated.

If it was clear that you loaned your items to people, then definitely ask for them back. Obviously don't make a big deal out of it it they don't have the stuff anymore, but I think asking is OK. If you did give them the items, then ask them if you can borrow them back (to me this acknowledges that the things are now theirs and you are respecting their property). I don't think it's OK to give something to someone and then years later act like it's still yours anytime you want it.

I had someone give me all of her old maternity clothes when I had ds. She told me she was done having kids. Those were basically all the clothes I had when I was pregnant. I kept the clothes, moved with them multiple times, stored them for years and then out of the blue, she wanted them back. I did give them back, but it offended me that she had clearly given them to me and she felt that she could just have them back whenever she wanted. I got pregnant about 6 months after her and then had no clothes. She didn't even offer to give them back a few months later after she was done with them. OK so maybe my experience has soured me a bit. I need to :chillpill:

Oh, and I am not suggesting that you would treat someone like the above story! That was really just me venting/explaining why I feel the way I do about your situation.

Yup. That and a crib. Two things I want to meet current laws regarding safety. Everything else though I am fine with used and would actually prefer to find used.

:iagree: Anything that baby will be spending a lot of time in, such as the car seat, crib, high chair, baby swing (if applicable), etc. and/or have safety laws.

Other than that, do you belong to Freecycle? Many times I see posting for baby items like clothes, blankets, etc. and have given some of our gently used stuff before. Makes me happy I can help :001_smile:

Diapers ;)

If your carseat is more than 5 years old, you need to get a new one. For number 2 our burp cloths were fine, I did net new onsies. Of course, we got a lot of new clothes any way because #1 was a boy and #2 was a girl. But I reused a lot of the new born stuff.

DH and I are planning on having another baby, hopefully next summer. Our youngest will be 5. For ds we mainly used things we already had, buying new little things like burp cloths, wash cloths, etc. With so much space between #2 & #3, we don't have a whole lot left. We gave most of it away to various people and got very little of it back. Including all of my maternity clothes. What do I do? Is it rude, 3 years later, to ask someone for my stuff back? I don't want to put them in an awkward position of having to tell me that they no longer have it, but at the same time, I never said that it was ok for them to pass it on/throw it out/sell it. Also, are there any items that you buy new for each child? Onesies, etc.?

I got rid of a lot after each child, and got most of it back (not the exact items, but their equivalents) in the form of hand-me-downs. There is nothing specific I have a goal of buying new for each kid (except disposable stuff, of course) - it all depends on what each baby needs after hand-me-downs are obtained.

IME, hand-me-downs are gifts unless specifically stated otherwise. I don't see anything wrong with saying "Hey, do you happen to still have this?" Maybe they do, or maybe they lent it out to someone themselves and are able to track it down. However, I also don't consider it rude if they have gotten rid of it unless you specifically agreed at the time you gave/lent it that it was a loan, not a gift, especially if you didn't follow up on that before now.

I give hand-me-downs with the expectation that I won't get them back, and, when I get them, I ask if the person wants it back and don't accept unless I feel I can reasonably take good care of it and keep track of whom it was from. Our sling, for example, is an indefinite loan that a friend lent us for DD2 (she does not intend to have more kids, but it has sentimental value) - I specifically asked before moving shortly before dd3 was born if it was ok if we kept it, and I'll ask if she wants it back when we're done this time. But I didn't accept baby clothing with sentimental value from the same friend - too easy for something to happen to individual items, whether it be stains or just getting mixed up with all the other itsy baby clothing.

I had really good luck getting maternity clothing at Deseret Industries thrift store - most thrift stores in the area I was in at the time had a very limited selection of maternity clothing - mostly just those full-panel pants that look super goofy and never actually work well for me. But DI had a great selection of nice clothing - yay for religious groups that encourage reproduction and generosity :)

I keep a single peace-of-mind box of clothing that provides a bare-basics gender neutral wardrobe for up to a year or so, plus our better quality diapers, diaper covers that are still usable (since that's the most expensive part of cloth diapering), a few blankets, and items with sentimental value. I'll probably continue doing so until we're sure we're done and go the sterilization route. I kept my maternity pants this time, but may well change my mind on that if I remain about the same weight I am now - they'd be too big!

Edited by ocelotmom

No, not really.

I make sure we have enough clothes that aren't stained and suitable to the season. I usually shop used for the majority of that. I spent months garage sale shopping for that with current new baby bc it had been 5 years since we needed newborn boy clothes and because there wasn't much that survived his previous 6 brothers to hand down to him.

I'm in love with my stroller, but need a new one. We bought this stroller 16 years ago and it has served well and true and I really love it, but it is staring to fall apart. But I don't like any of the newer and insanely expensive strollers nearly as much. So I have not bought a new one.

Each baby usually gets a baby blanket made for them, a couple new baby toys (usually teething type toys) and a few nicer outfits.

We don't normally buy something newer just to have something newer.

I'm in love with my stroller, but need a new one. We bought this stroller 16 years ago and it has served well and true and I really love it, but it is staring to fall apart. But I don't like any of the newer and insanely expensive strollers nearly as much. So I have not bought a new one.

I got lucky on the stroller. I was in for a meeting with my banker and she asked if I had a stroller yet. I said no. I expected her to offer me one but I though I'd have to turn her down because I'm on a rough gravel road and need something like an (expensive!) three wheeled jogging stroller to handle it. She said that's exactly what she had and she'd like to drop it off sometime for me. I don't mind a stroller used at all.:)

I got lucky on the stroller. I was in for a meeting with my banker and she asked if I had a stroller yet. I said no. I expected her to offer me one but I though I'd have to turn her down because I'm on a rough gravel road and need something like an (expensive!) three wheeled jogging stroller to handle it. She said that's exactly what she had and she'd like to drop it off sometime for me. I don't mind a stroller used at all.:)

Me either! In fact, if I could find my stroller in decent used condition - I'd snap it up.

Problem is that most used baby places don't sell anything other than clothes anymore bc they are scared of getting into trouble by selling something recalled or expired or who knows what.:glare: I can't remember the last time I saw used baby furniture, seats or strollers for sale in a consignment store. Garage sales? Sometimes.

There is 5 yrs between my two youngest and we had nothing left. We had given everything away and I had given the friend permission to gift the big stuff to someone else in need. Thankfully, we have a friend who adopted twins a year ago and is letting us borrow *everything*. Such a blessing!

As for maternity clothes, I kept my eye open at thrift shops and got them from there.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with the clothes now. We're not sure if we're done yet.

Well, my eldest, Diva, and Tazzie all had brand new carseats, cribs, swings and strollers. They are 6-7 yrs apart.

Princess, however, had Tazzie's crib and car seat. We did get a new stroller, but only b/c we needed a tandem, since they were 19 mths, 7 days apart. She did get a new swing and bassinet, but that's b/c a) Wolf gave away Tazzie's swing and one was gifted to us, and b) I'd never had a bassinet before and again, it was a gift.

Tummy will be getting a new crib and car seat. We still have Princess' swing and bassinet.

Oh, and we bought a new high chair for Tazzie and Princess, b/c I couldn't find any in decent shape used. We still have one downstairs, so Tummy won't be getting a new one of those either. :lol:

Well, my eldest, Diva, and Tazzie all had brand new carseats, cribs, swings and strollers. They are 6-7 yrs apart.

Princess, however, had Tazzie's crib and car seat. We did get a new stroller, but only b/c we needed a tandem, since they were 19 mths, 7 days apart. She did get a new swing and bassinet, but that's b/c a) Wolf gave away Tazzie's swing and one was gifted to us, and b) I'd never had a bassinet before and again, it was a gift.

Tummy will be getting a new crib and car seat. We still have Princess' swing and bassinet.

Oh, and we bought a new high chair for Tazzie and Princess, b/c I couldn't find any in decent shape used. We still have one downstairs, so Tummy won't be getting a new one of those either. :lol:

I think keeping stuff you have is a different story, especially with car seats. My main concern with buying one used (now. My daughter was n a used car seat when she was young) would be that I wouldn't know if it had been in an accident. If the car seats was always mine then I'd know it's history.

As for maternity clothes, I kept my eye open at thrift shops and got them from there.

I picked up a couple of maternity skirts at a local thrift store. Shocked everyone because I never wear skirts but I love these! Still have to get pants. Have to unbutton my jeans when I sit down and the only reason I'm still in them is that I lost 20 pounds the previous year and was still wearing the pre-weight loss pants.

Can you tell I'm not much for buying clothes? :D

I think keeping stuff you have is a different story, especially with car seats. My main concern with buying one used (now. My daughter was n a used car seat when she was young) would be that I wouldn't know if it had been in an accident. If the car seats was always mine then I'd know it's history.

Oh, I agree. I would never buy a used car seat or crib. From someone I *knew*, sure, but not from a store or sale.

The only item that I insist on purchasing new is the carseat. I would check for recalls on cribs before purchasing second hand.

We had nothing for this baby -- literally nothing -- as we thought we were done. I gave away all of the baby stuff about four weeks before finding out I was pregnant this time. I began shopping consignment shops and thrift stores once we knew the gender (so about 9 weeks ago) and I already have *everything* I could possibly need for baby aside from bottles, a pacifier, formula, and diapers.