Menu

Wow! "Lots of shots" now recommended for pre-teens/teens.

I'm generally pro-vaccine but even I was stunned when a trip to the pediatrician today generated a recommendation for 5 different shots for DD11 and DD14.

I was expecting a recommendation for Tdap, MCV4, and HPV.

I was not expecting additional recommendations for Hep A and chicken pox booster.

I was really thrown by the Hep A recommendation. I stated that I thought it was only recommended for particular high risk groups and the nurse said that it had changed in the last couple of years. Hmmmm. . .it's still on the CDC recommendation chart only for high risk folks and even the description handed to me by the nurse listed the high risk factors for those who should receive the shot.

So much for the "lots of shots" visits being for babies and toddlers.

Pegasus

Did your children not have the chicken pox or Hep A vaccines as babies/toddlers? California recommends Hep A for everyone.

My daughter only needed her Tdap. She had the Hep A series when she was 2.

And our dr didn't mention the MCV4, and HPV vaccines.

It might depend on where you live too. Originally my pediatrician said we didn't need it in our circumstances, but I think at our last visit we found that it was now recommended for everyone in California.

One interesting thing I remember him asking the first time is if we eat out a lot. He said that that Hep A is more common among immigrants, and here it's mostly immigrants working in restaurant kitchens.

ETA: Thanks for mentioning this. The kids all have check-ups scheduled for next month, so now I won't be surprised.

Yep, they both already had the chicken pox shot. This was for a booster as they determined that the single shot in early childhood did not provide lasting immunity.

They also had all the other recommended vaccines as infants and young children so while I don't specifically remember them getting Hep A, I think they did.

We are in Tennessee. . .but we do eat out a lot. . .but we didn't mention that while at the doctor's!

Pegasus

When I just recently took dd14 in, I was expecting HPV. They didn't even mention that. They wanted Tdap, but she had Td when she was 11, so once I got the records from the other pediatrician, that was fine. They also gave her MCV4, MMR booster and Varivax booster. I was totally thrown about those last two. Didn't expect it at all.

Haven't ever had Hep A recommended to me.

Yep, they both already had the chicken pox shot. This was for a booster as they determined that the single shot in early childhood did not provide lasting immunity.

They also had all the other recommended vaccines as infants and young children so while I don't specifically remember them getting Hep A, I think they did.

We are in Tennessee. . .but we do eat out a lot. . .but we didn't mention that while at the doctor's!

Pegasus

:001_huh: And here I was thinking we'd gotten past all those shots!

Wow, I don't recognize many of these vacs.

Vacs my kids have had DTP, Polio, MMR, Hep B, HIB, Tdap, Varicella, and the one for menigitis.

My 10 yr old hasn't had the Tdap or menigitis shots yet.

No Hep A, MCV4, or HPV for any of my kids... yet.

One of the reasons the kids are getting their shots earlier is that the older they get, the harder time the docs have getting them in to the office for the shots. It really irritates me, but that's why the MMR (which we don't do as it originally was grown in fetal tissue) MMR booster is given during the elementary years now. It used to be jr. high (actually possibly even 14yo high school age.)

So much of vaccination is *not* about health, but about engineering public policy.

Fyi, we do most vaccinations.

Lisaj

I was surprised that they now recommend that caretakers of infants (moms) get a pertussis booster... I had no idea they wore off eventually. I have 6 years between my 2 youngest...so I was surprised when I needed more shots after BB#3.

The kids got Hep B shots as infants, but they weren't offered Hep A. Now the ped is recommending Hep A for all the kids.

We weren't offered chix-pox boosters, and 16yo came down with it a couple of months ago. He was the only one of mine who hadn't been vax'd for that because he'd had a mild case as an infant. The other kids, who were vax'd for it, didn't show any signs of it.

My kids got the Hep A shot a few years ago as a recommendation from our Ped. The chicken pox booster is a new thing too. They were finding that kids who had the vaccine as babies were not protected into the teen years, so they have to have a booster.

My doc did not even suggest the HPV (or course, I have boys) but we won't get that one anyway. We did get the meningitis vaccine, though.

I'm generally pro-vaccine but even I was stunned when a trip to the pediatrician today generated a recommendation for 5 different shots for DD11 and DD14.

I was expecting a recommendation for Tdap, MCV4, and HPV.

I was not expecting additional recommendations for Hep A and chicken pox booster.

I was really thrown by the Hep A recommendation. I stated that I thought it was only recommended for particular high risk groups and the nurse said that it had changed in the last couple of years. Hmmmm. . .it's still on the CDC recommendation chart only for high risk folks and even the description handed to me by the nurse listed the high risk factors for those who should receive the shot.

So much for the "lots of shots" visits being for babies and toddlers.

Pegasus

We all go the Hep A shot mostly because we travel and camp quite a bit. Once we got orders overseas our Peds MD was glad she recommened the Hep A to our family.

There are a lot of food-borne Hep A outbreaks these days.

Honestly, five shots is not a lot. I think that people think of shots as some sort of concentrated assault on the immune system, but they are not. Five shots is a drop in the bucket compared with what the immune system is dealing with naturally. The only reason it's an issue is because you are aware of the fact that you just got five pathogens introduced to your body. If you were alerted every time your body naturally encountered a pathogen, five at once would seem exceedingly insignificant.

Tara

I don't want to be controversial, but I do want to add for those that have girls to do some research on the HPV vaccine before getting it.

I did a college research paper on that particular vaccine a few years back. Some experts believe that there might be a strong correlation between the HPV vaccine and later infertility and miscarriage. Just something to look into before making the decision.

Honestly, five shots is not a lot.

Tara

Oh, I agree completely with you about the level of pathogens. However, my kids would disagree completely about 5 shots not being a lot. Their father has a phobia of needles. While my kids aren't quite phobic, they have more than the normal level of dislike for needles and shots.

Pegasus

I don't want to be controversial, but I do want to add for those that have girls to do some research on the HPV vaccine before getting it.

I did a college research paper on that particular vaccine a few years back. Some experts believe that there might be a strong correlation between the HPV vaccine and later infertility and miscarriage. Just something to look into before making the decision.

I refused to give this to my DD (she is 16 now). I just didn't feel that the unknown of the risks of the vaccine outweighed the risk of future cancer. It just made me nervous to give it to her so I said no.

I did have my kids get the chicken pox vac. But that is because I didn't have chicken pox and doctor said it would be safer for me (being on long term prednisone) and my kids (asthma) to get the vaccine. But also several of my nieces and nephews (older than my kids) had severe chicken pox (two of my nieces/nephews were hospitalized). And that because my kids had asthma dx as infants, they were at a higher risk of complications. I just didn't want to take a chance.

Ds #2 did get the vaccine but then two days later he broke out in the rash. He had already been exposed. And unfortunately, just as the pox was healing, he broke out in head to toe hand-foot-mouth disease (literally head to foot).

However, my kids would disagree completely about 5 shots not being a lot. Their father has a phobia of needles. While my kids aren't quite phobic, they have more than the normal level of dislike for needles and shots.

Pegasus

I had a phobia of needles, doctors, nurses growing up... I was very bad. :blushing: :leaving:

I remember my dad trying to convince school nurse to ignore the fact that I was behind on shots when I was in 5th grade. He knew that taking me in was going to be rough for him. I would bite, kick, scream, etc. He never was without trauma himself anytime I had to go to doctor and he really didn't want to take me in when I wasn't sick-LOL.

I still can't stand them, but I try hard to behave.. I don't want my kids to be so terrified like I was. But then again, I was born 3 months early and my first 5 yrs of life was pretty much me living in the hospital.

I think Hep A started being offered to babies right after my youngest passed that stage. So now, all of my children are being encouraged to have it, esp. since we travel a lot internationally.

One of my children is going to Africa for a semester in August, and she had to have 6 vaccines yesterday! Some required just to get into the country.

I actually requested meningitus (MCV4 I think) for both my teens. That isn't recommended until 17. Meningitus spreads quickly among young people, typically when sleep deprived and living in close situations (dorms). The symptoms typically look like flu to start, by the time many people realize what they are dealing with the results can be devastating. Since dd was headed out for 3 weeks of overnight camp and ds was going for 5 weeks of ROTC camp, I decided to get them vaccinated. I'm sure the next time I get to the ped I'll be hounded about HPV and chicken pox boosters and a few others.

I'm going to have to review the studies of HPV again. Has anyone done studies on men--they are recommending it for boys now too.