Menu

How often is dilation (eyes) recommended for check-ups?

Last time I had my eyes checked for a new glasses prescription, the doctor gave me a hard sell for having my eyes dilated. She saw nothing worrying in the regular exam; she just said that dilation allowed her to do a more thorough exam. It would add significantly to the cost of the exam so I passed.

How often is dilation recommended if there are no indications that something is wrong?

Pegasus

I don't know for sure -- I don't go to the eye doctor every year, but more like every two or three years. So my doc pressures me to do it every single time. I hate it because it is extremely uncomfortable during the exam, and it always triggers a migraine for me. I think next time I am going to psych myself up in advance to resist the pressure.

I actually overheard a different doctor at this practice pressuring a patient into having that done every six months! She was protesting because here eyes were perfectly healthy. He said "well, these are the new guidelines". I can't help but wonder if the guidelines are based on the patient's medical needs or $$$$$.

I get my eyes examed yearly but it's up to me rather I want them dilated. My dr does not pressure me to do it. I usually try to get them dilated every other year so he can check. If I was having some other problems I would get them dilated each time.

My eye dr does it every exam, i.e. once a year, although I did have several years where I couldn't because I was breastfeeding. In my case, it was good I did have my eyes dilated since my dr found a "freckle" (a pigmented spot) on my retina, which does have a slight chance of becoming cancerous. My dr checks it every year to make sure it hasn't changed.

There are other medical conditions' date=' non eye related, that can be found during a thorough eye exam. Sorry, I don't remember right now what they are.[/quote']

:iagree:

Just because a doctor doesn't see anything wrong without dilation doesn't mean he won't see anything with dilation. I highly recommend that you have it done annually. Of course, I used to work for an eye doctor, so I may be biased. But I was also there when he did find things in people's eyes, so it is a justifiable bias. One lady in her 30's came in for a routine exam and the Dr. found that her retina was partially detached. Her dh had to come and take her ASAP to the eye institute for surgery that day.

I've never had this done. I've never been told by a doctor to do it and I do wear glasses. Why is it uncomfortable? I get migraines easily also.

Thanks

They put these drops in your eyes that force your pupils to dilate. Then they shine a super bright light in your eyes to examine your retinas. It hurts. And it feels like it takes FOREVER, though it probably isn't all that long.

I am much more sensitive to both light and sound when I'm having a migraine, and sometimes bright lights and loud sounds can actually trigger them. And your pupils stay dilated for hours afterwards, so every light is a bright light.

Can you tell that I really hate this? :lol: As unpleasant as a yearly gynecological exam is, it's preferable to this! Having blood taken? Piece of cake. Pupil dilation is the single most unpleasant routine medical screening/test I have been through. Then again, I've never had a colonoscopy. That's got to be worse.

They put these drops in your eyes that force your pupils to dilate. Then they shine a super bright light in your eyes to examine your retinas. It hurts. And it feels like it takes FOREVER, though it probably isn't all that long.

I am much more sensitive to both light and sound when I'm having a migraine, and sometimes bright lights and loud sounds can actually trigger them. And your pupils stay dilated for hours afterwards, so every light is a bright light.

I think it really must vary a lot for each person. It doesn't hurt me at all.

Screening Guidelines

Ask your doctor for guidelines specific for your individual situation. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends the following general screening guidelines healthy adults with no risk factors for eye disease:

• At least once between age 20 and 29

• At least twice between age 30 and 39

• Age 40-64: every 2 to 4 years

• Age 65 and older: every 1 to 2 years

You should be screened more often, or as directed by your doctor, if you:

• Have risk factors for glaucoma or other eye diseases

• Have a family member who has glaucoma

• Have a personal or family history of eye disease

• Are African American or African heritage

• Have had a serious eye injury in the past

• Had eye surgery in the past

• Are taking a corticosteroid medication

• Have diabetes, high blood pressure, or other chronic illness

Cautionary Note: If you currently have eye symptoms, you should call your provider immediately for an evaluation. In case of an emergency, call for an ambulance immediately.

. Edited by Perry

Screening Guidelines

Ask your doctor for guidelines specific for your individual situation. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends the following general screening guidelines healthy adults with no risk factors for eye disease:

At least once between age 20 and 29

At least twice between age 30 and 39

Age 40-64: every 2 to 4 years

Age 65 and older: every 1 to 2 years

You should be screened more often, or as directed by your doctor, if you:

Have risk factors for glaucoma or other eye diseases

Have a family member who has glaucoma

Have a personal or family history of eye disease

Are African American or African heritage

Have had a serious eye injury in the past

Had eye surgery in the past

Are taking a corticosteroid medication

Have diabetes, high blood pressure, or other chronic illness

Cautionary Note: If you currently have eye symptoms, you should call your provider immediately for an evaluation. In case of an emergency, call for an ambulance immediately.

The link at the beginning of your post is for Glaucoma screening, not for dilation, which is different. There are drops the doctor will put in your eyes to numb them before doing a glaucoma test (the one where the instrument actually touches the eye, not the air test). This is not the dilation drops.

The link at the beginning of your post is for Glaucoma screening, not for dilation, which is different. There are drops the doctor will put in your eyes to numb them before doing a glaucoma test (the one where the instrument actually touches the eye, not the air test). This is not the dilation drops.

It's on that page, but those are the general guidelines for eye screening exams. Here's another link.

1. Infants at high risk, such as those with the potential for retinopathy of prematurity and those with a family history of retinoblastoma, childhood cataracts, childhood glaucoma, or metabolic and genetic disease, should have a medical examination by an ophthalmologist as soon as medically feasible.

2. All children should undergo an evaluation to detect eye and vision abnormalities during the first few months of life, at 6 months to 1 year, at 3 years (approximately), and at 5 years (approximately). Abnormalities present at birth, such as opacities of the ocular media (e.g., congenital cataract) or ptosis, may have profound effects on the development of the normal vision in the infant. By age 3 to 3 1/2 years, the child will generally cooperate enough for fairly accurate assessment of visual acuity and ocular alignment, and he or she should have this assessed by a pediatrician or other medical practitioner. Any abnormalities or inability to test are criteria for referral to an ophthalmologist.

3. School-age children should be evaluated regularly (approximately every 2 years) in schools, vision programs, religious organizations, community centers, and clubs and by volunteer organizations such as local Societies to Prevent Blindness for visual acuity and ocular alignment.

4. After an initial comprehensive eye examination is performed by an ophthalmologist, individuals from the age of puberty to age 40 need to be examined again only if ocular symptoms, visual changes, or injury occur. The exception is for young adults who are at risk of developing significant ocular disease in this interval because of risk factors.

5. Individuals who develop diabetes mellitus type 1 before age 30 should be examined by an ophthalmologist 5 years after disease onset and at least yearly thereafter. Individuals who develop diabetes mellitus type 1 after age 30 should be examined by an ophthalmologist at the time of diagnosis and at least yearly thereafter. Individuals who develop diabetes mellitus type 2 should be examined at the time of diagnosis and at least yearly thereafter.

6. Individuals from age 40 to 64 should be examined by an ophthalmologist every 2 to 4 years.

7. Individuals 65 years old or older should have an examination performed by an ophthalmologist every 1 to 2 years.

8. The frequency of ocular examinations in the presence of acute or chronic disease will vary widely, with intervals ranging from hours to several months, depending on the risks encountered, response to treatment, and potential for the disease to progress.

9. Any individual at higher risk for developing disease, based on ocular and medical history, family history, age, or race should have periodic examinations determined by the particular risks, even if no symptoms are present.

10. A routine comprehensive annual adult eye examination in individuals under the age of 40 unnecessarily escalates the cost of eye care and is not indicated except as described above.

Edited by Perry

My eyes have never been dialated. Optomotrists have asked a few times but I told them that my childhood opthamologist did not wish to take the risk because of multiple severe allergies(especially to various medications). They have always promptly dropped the subject.

Oh, man, I've had my eyes dilated while breastfeeding. It isn't recommended? I will have to look into it.

My eye doctor discouraged it while breastfeeding because there is a very small chance of picking up something from the drops and passing it on to the baby. It sounded like it was an extremely rare occurance. :001_smile:

I've worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade, and I have NEVER had an eye doc want to dialate my eyes. How did that happen?!

I did, however, get billed for dialation for my 11 year old that never happened. The office tried to argue with me about it, because "it was on the CHART" :001_huh: Sorry, but I think I would remember if you had dialated my 11 year olds eyes.

Around here, some of the optometrists take pictures of the eye with that weird looking giant computer thing (I pay something like forty bucks to do that, to avoid dilation). Then they compare the pictures to prior ones. But dh has issues, and his opthamologist dilates his eyes once per year.

I think it really must vary a lot for each person. It doesn't hurt me at all.

Wow, that's great! It's probably people with a history of migraines or with sensory issues who are going to be more hurt by it. Or maybe I'm just a wimp. :D

Around here, some of the optometrists take pictures of the eye with that weird looking giant computer thing (I pay something like forty bucks to do that, to avoid dilation). Then they compare the pictures to prior ones. But dh has issues, and his opthamologist dilates his eyes once per year.

Wait, there's an alternative to dilation??? Wow, I have to find an office that will do this.

Does anyone know the formal name of this?

I always had it done at annual eye exams... when I went to them annually. Then one year, they changed whatever solution they were using and my eyes stayed dilated for almost 2 days! It was horrible. I didn't go back to the eye doctor again for almost 9 years (fortunately, I don't really have trouble with my eyes). They only reason I went back to doing an annual eye exam is because my mom's eye doctor accepts our insurance and bought a new digital imaging system, where you stare at a light in a machine and it takes a digital scan of your eye. SOOOOOOOO much easier, faster and more comfortable. I'm happy to pay the extra $30 the doctor charges for that over dilation.

I think I've had my eyes dilated twice now: once when I developed a corneal abrasion my first year of college or so, and once soon after I turned 40. My doctor does have the scanner thing, which his assistant does every visit.

My poor DH, though, who is diabetic, gets his eyes dilated every year, plus the scanner thing. So far, knock on wood, no retinal neuropathy, but there's a family history of it. That took most of his dad's sight because of hid diabetes.

My eye doctor gives us the option of this machine as well. I think it costs us $35 and I think it is so worth it. You open your eye really big and you control when it takes a picture by pressing a button. The most uncomfortable part is the flash of light in your eye, but you recover within seconds vs. the length of time to recover from dialating your eyes with drops. My dr. will then show me on the computer what my eye looked like last time vs. this time to see if there are any changes. He points out parts of my eye, blood vessles, veins, etc. My kids get this done too. It's very educational!

Yup, I was able to have this instead the last time I went! I had been putting off dilation for a couple years, cause, really, who wants to be bothered?? But they had this new thing. The price was a little higher but not a lot. They actually take a picture of inside your eye. It's creepy and cool. While he looked at them, I asked what they look for and he explained some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread, inc. the fact that being near-sighted increases the risk for problems. And I wondered why no one had ever told me that before! Sheesh, it's like they expect me to just do what they say;)

He also said that if a problem was spotted on the pictures, they would dilate for more accuracy.

(Oh, to answer the question, they've always wanted to dilate yearly for me.)

My eye doctor discouraged it while breastfeeding because there is a very small chance of picking up something from the drops and passing it on to the baby. It sounded like it was an extremely rare occurance. :001_smile:

For some reason, I was thinking about this last night. The only way you could "pick up something from the drops" is if the doctor or one of his assistants contaminated the drops by either touching the dropper to an eye or not letting a drop clear the container before it touches the eye (holding the dropper too close so the drop touches the eye while still touching the container). If we ever did that where I worked, we had to throw the container away.

• 4 weeks later...
How often is dilation recommended if there are no indications that something is wrong?

I have always had my eyes dialted every other exam (or about evey two years.). It does allow a much better view of the retina.

There are other medical conditions' date=' non eye related, that can be found during a thorough eye exam. Sorry, I don't remember right now what they are.[/quote']

Myasthenia gravis

graves disease (a form of hyperthyroidism)

are two

Myasthenia gravis

graves disease (a form of hyperthyroidism)

are two

Those two diseases can certainly have eye involvement, but a retinal exam isn't necessary. MG causes ptosis (drooping eyelids) and Graves' causes protruding eyes. The retina is irrelevant.

In my experience, every year or two. I was told that the more expensive photo option was better, not sure if that is true, though. If you go back to the same doctor they can compare over time.

On the other hand, my son loved looking at the picture of his eye and learned something!!