Menu

Teacher-intensive curric?

Aubrey

What falls into this category? Because apparently, that's what I like. :lol:

MCT :D

I finally have Island in my hot-little hands my dear (but can't start for 6 more days, as they are going to be part of a package of birthday gifts).

It's what I like too. :)

Things that we use that fit nicely into that are Phonics Road, Bob Jones Math, and Trail Guide to Learning. I can't think of anything else at the moment, though I'm sure there's other things we use/have used. I look for Teacher Intensive materials when shopping for curriculum. I've been exploring Montessori for preschool, language arts, and Math and that's pretty teacher intensive too.

Edited by mom&nana

I seem to MAKE everything teacher-intensive, whether it actually is or not! Oldest DD has personal time as a love language so we do...everything...together.

So for us R&S is teacher intensive - we do it almost entirely orally.

AAS

WTM style writing

SL

NOEO - we read aloud together

PL - I memorize all the prayers/vocab with her

MUS is probably the LEAST teacher intensive thing we do :)

Bible - we BOTH read from our own respective Bibles, then narrate to each other

etc. etc.

Eye-opening! It didn't occur to me before that I might like teacher-intensive also, but it appears that many things I use are.

TOG

SL

AAS

And even the things we use which aren't supposed to be teacher-intensive I make that way because I like feeling connected. :001_huh:

You got a very good assortment of teacher intensive curriculum from the pposters. I did not see BJU listed so I thought I would add it to the list.

If used correctly, BJU is very teacher intensive for the elementary years. Sure you can hand the child the textbooks and have them work solo but there is so much more to the curriculum if you open the teachers manuals and actually teach the subjects. Lots of dialogue between parent and child, hands on learning, and oral work, the workbooks are just reinforcement to the actual lessons.

This is all very amusing to me :D Over the years, as I grew more confident in my skills, I found myself leaving more scripted programs and turning into a constant tweaker. I use what so many consider teacher intensive, but have found I call them something else: dynamic teaching materials. I have found that once I get past the learning curve, the best (for me) programs are not intensive, but instead encourage me to be more active in teaching and all add great tools to my box. My 2 favorite programs, that I do not find intensive, but instead such wonderful aids are:

The Phonics Road

Tapestry of Grace.

A program I enjoy, but never have time for, so it's a time intensive program is Drawing with Children.

I found MUS to be more t.i. than Singapore. Imagine that :tongue_smilie:

This is all very amusing to me :D Over the years, as I grew more confident in my skills, I found myself leaving more scripted programs and turning into a constant tweaker. I use what so many consider teacher intensive, but have found I call them something else: dynamic teaching materials. I have found that once I get past the learning curve, the best (for me) programs are not intensive, but instead encourage me to be more active in teaching and all add great tools to my box. My 2 favorite programs, that I do not find intensive, but instead such wonderful aids are:

The Phonics Road

Tapestry of Grace.

A program I enjoy, but never have time for, so it's a time intensive program is Drawing with Children.

I found MUS to be more t.i. than Singapore. Imagine that :tongue_smilie:

This is a good way of putting it! If I *can* hand the books to the kids, I tend to do so. Even when I want more, it's sometimes hard for me to figure out what to do, if that makes sense.

It's not just lack of teacher guides. I mean, I could read SOTW to the kids, & 3pp would take an hour because we had such wonderful discussions, even w/out cracking the AG.

Otoh, even w/ the HIG, I can't figure out how to *teach* Singapore or foreign languages. Silly, really. If I had a classroom, I'd have no problem w/ this. So...for some subjects (languages, esp), I'm trying to shift my thinking to *teaching.* Still, I mean...you read the p, you do the worksheet, you move on. :confused: Works for my oldest, but my poor dd...:001_huh:

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been listed. Beyond a specific curricula, I like anything that gives me more information than needed. I don't know if that makes sense but last year I realized this is what I like. That way I can be prepared to teach it how I want to and answer questions as they come up. I like to teach.:D

Everything we use is teacher intensive. I believe every elementary curriculum should be teacher intensive (or can taught in a teacher led fashion), but some are created from that assumption and therefore more helpful in teacher implementation. PR is helping me to become a better LA teacher (my weak side). Singapore helps me to use my strong side to its fullest. MFW does all the legwork so that I can implement a fun program in the content areas without stressing myself out.

Webster's Speller?

You could use it with all of your children, at least! Spelling for the older ones and spelling and phonics for the younger.

I'm actually not sure how teacher intensive it is, but I do like MCT and other teacher intensive things, I enjoy teaching!!

I think you can make Miquon teacher intensive but it is supposed to be a discovery program where the child figures it out, not the teacher teaching it.

Sure, but to really get the most of it, I think it helps for the teacher to read all the supporting materials and help set up/guide enrichment activities. I know my daughter worked through the lab sheets in the first book on her own, but it would have been so much deeper with more involvement from me. As it was, she just kind of whipped through the pages.

Sure, but to really get the most of it, I think it helps for the teacher to read all the supporting materials and help set up/guide enrichment activities. I know my daughter worked through the lab sheets in the first book on her own, but it would have been so much deeper with more involvement from me. As it was, she just kind of whipped through the pages.

It definitely can add another layer of learning. For us, even with teacher involvement it wasn't teacher intensive like RightStart Math.