Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week twenty seven

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 27 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books blog - Z is for Zhivago. Another russian epic on my nightstand. Dr. Zhivago is a political social romantic drama about 5 young people during the Russian Revolution spanning from 1901 to 1943. Sounds similar to War and Peace so it will be interesting to compare this one to them. Here's an interesting piece of trivia. Boris's father, Leonid was a Russian Impressionist painter and not only painted portraits of Tolstoy but illustrated War and Peace.

Hope everyone (in the states) enjoys their three day weekend. What are you reading this week?

Link to week 26

I just finished reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. Intense book about a woman with amnesia. She can only retain her memory for a day, so every night when she falls asleep, she loses her memory again. It's a great psychological drama. I'm involved in her virtual tour and will be reviewing on the 12th. Also giving away a copy of the book. Be sure to check it out.

I am way behind in the book challenge, but I actually finished 3 books this week!!

Book 13 - The Church History by Eusebius (This is preparation for Omnibus 2 with my 7th grader in the fall. An excellent read for history of the early church from Christ to Constantine.)

Book 14 - The Hobbit by Tolkein (This is also for Omnibus 2 the secondary books and just because I'll reread it whenever I find time or a good excuse to do so.)

Book 15 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by Rowling (I'm trying to reread the series before the movie comes out.)

On the list for the upcoming week, I'll be starting Confessions by Augustine. Hopefully, I'll also get through The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien and at least books 2 and 3 in the Harry Potter series.

(Continued from previous post...)

I'm working on A Secret Gift for my book club. I can tell already that it will be an Excedrin book for me (meaning I'm going to cry when reading... and crying always gives me a headache, hence the Excedrin). It's good & (of course) touching so far....

From Publishers Weekly:

"In a book grown out of a New York Times op-ed piece that drew a huge response, Gup (The Book of Honor) explores an unusual act of generosity by his grandfather, Sam Stone, during the Great Depression and other mysteries of Stone's life. Discovering a trunk full of old letters addressed to "Mr. B. Virdot," Gup soon learned that the letters were responses to a newspaper ad Stone ran before Christmas 1933, anonymously promising to 75 of Canton, Ohio's neediest families if they wrote letters describing their hardships. (Some of the heartbreaking letters are reprinted here.) But Gup soon learns that Stone had other secrets: the jovial, wealthy businessman had escaped a horrific childhood as a Romanian Jew, immigrating to America and reinventing himself to fit into all-American Canton, Ohio. Gup also tracked down families who benefited from Stone's gift to discover the impact it had on their lives. Gup paints sobering pictures of "the Hard Times" and the gift made by a successful man who hadn't forgotten his own hard times."

The last one is just a fun, fantasy book that I stumbled across at the library (actually the first three books of this series are contained in the book): The Book of Jhereg. I'm enjoying it so far.

From Library Journal:

"Quick with both sword and wit, Vlad Taltos makes his way through the world of Dragaera as an assassin, aided by a small talent for magic and a lizard-like jhereg companion. Collecting the first three novels in Brust's Vlad Taltos series (e.g., Jhereg), this volume serves as a good introduction to the adventures of the author's archly sophisticated, wryly humorous hero."

Books read in 2011:

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

People Die

Three Ways to Capsize a Boat

The Perfect Man

The Abyssinian

Food Rules

Empress Orchid

Sister Pelagia and the Red Cockerel

A Voyage Long and Strange

All the Names

When We Were Orphans

Her Fearful Symmetry

Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun

The Guinea Pig Diaries

13, rue Thérèse

The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno

Twelve Fingers

Fatu-Hiva

Apartment Therapy

Haroun and the Sea of Stories

The Broom of the System

Well-Schooled in Murder

A Red Herring without Mustard

Treasure Island

I Have America Surrounded

Kafka on the Shore

The Dream of Perpetual Motion

Five Quarters of the Orange

The Wooden Sea

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack

Me Talk Pretty One Day

Edited by Stacia

Ok---while in Italy last week (in Epcot, alas ;))---I picked up How to Think Like Leonardo DaVinci by Michael Gelb. It's a combination personal growth/mini da Vinci history book/ mini art course that encourages (by using the suggested exercises) strengthening your thinking skills.

I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be, however the book does contain some interesting info and I do feel some of the exercises are quite helpful. Plus, I've got a list of da Vinci books now that I plan to make my way through eventually.

Edited by Imprimis

Finished two books this week (had some airport/airplane time): The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley and Anna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett. Found out about the first from this thread a month or two ago and enjoyed it very much--thank you! The second is on my 6th grader's history reading list for this year. I need to pre-read some of those just so I can discuss them intelligently with her this year. I'm still working on Do Hard Things by the Harris brothers.

2011 Reading List

30. Anna of Byzantium-Tracy Barrett

29. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie-Alan Bradley

28. Cutting for Stone-Abraham Verghese

27. Stay With Me-Sandra Rodriguez Barron

26. Radical Homemakers-Shannon Hayes

25. Heaven is for Real-Todd Burpo

24. Under the Tuscan Sun-Frances Mayes

23. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother-Amy Chua

22. These Three Remain-Pamela Aidan

21. Chocolat-Joanne Harris

20. Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls

19. Duty and Desire-Pamela Aidan

18. An Assembly Such As This-Pamela Aidan

17. Left Neglected-Lisa Genova

16. Classics in the Classroom-Michael Clay Thompson

15. True You-Janet Jackson

14. The Samurai’s Garden-Gail Tsukiyama

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford

12. God’s Middle Finger-Richard Grant

11. Kristin Lavransdatter-I: The Wreath-Sigrid Undset

10. The Housekeeper and the Professor-Yoko Ogawa

9. A Lucky Child-Thomas Buergenthal

8. Three Cups of Tea-Greg Mortenson

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

Stacia,

I have a movie recommendation for you, a movie based on the life of Richard Burton and the expedition to find the source of the Nile. It is "Mountains Of the Moon", and I remember really liking it when it came out.

This week's book was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. While I didn't love the main conflict of the story, it was great fun as it is told through the eyes of the dog who is a wise observer of human activity.

I've started another Terry Pratchett novel, Monsterous Regiment" and am slowly working through Simon Winchester's Atlantic.

I'm typing this on my iPad and I can't figure out how to underline or italicize anything. Ugh! And it is slower than typing with a keyboard!!

Stacia,

I have a movie recommendation for you, a movie based on the life of Richard Burton and the expedition to find the source of the Nile. It is "Mountains Of the Moon", and I remember really liking it when it came out.

Thanks! Sounds like it would be interesting. My library doesn't seem to carry it, though. :glare: I'm going to have to figure out some other way to see it....

I think I am on book 33 or 34. STILL trying to get through The Trial by Kafka. I find it torturous to read and can only tolerate a few pages per day. I keep reading thinking there must be some redeeming quality since it is a classic. I finishes Night Light by Terri Blackstock. It is the second in a series describing life after electromagnetic pulses destroy all electronics. I've enjoyed the first two books. I have started Uncle Tom's Cabin as well.

Netflicks?

We don't have that. Hmmm. Maybe a friend w/ Netflix can get it & we'll watch it together.....

STILL trying to get through The Trial by Kafka. I find it torturous to read and can only tolerate a few pages per day.

When I read that book (many years ago), I felt SO stressed out while reading it. I felt like the uncertainty, fear, confusion, etc... that the main character is feeling is exactly what I was feeling. I felt like I was living the book. I can't say I 'liked' it (who wants to feel panicked all the time), but I thought it was profound & pretty amazing.

Edited by Stacia

This was a slow-reading week for me; much ado, plus fighting allergies, but I managed to conclude:

#47 - Chrissy's Endeavor, by Isabella Alden

Today I plan to begin:

#48 - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

I just finished reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. Intense book about a woman with amnesia. She can only retain her memory for a day, so every night when she falls asleep, she loses her memory again. It's a great psychological drama. I'm involved in her virtual tour and will be reviewing on the 12th. Also giving away a copy of the book. Be sure to check it out.

I just put this one on hold at the library after reading about it on amazon. Glad to hear you liked it.

I'm still reading The 19th Wife by Eliza Young. I don't get too much time to read this because it's on my Nook and my oldest claims the Nook for a lot of the time.

I'm listening to Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. At first I didn't like it much but as the story continues I'm interested in what happens to the characters.

I've also started reading The Moonstone and enjoying it. I like the writing style. Stacia, was it you that read it a while back and posted here?

I'm still reading up on Egypt. I just finished some stupid, conspiracy book that would have been almost good if it had been novel style a la Dan Brown, but was just stupid because it was masquerading as a scholarly work. Why did I even read it?

I also finished listening to 'Emma' which confirms for me that Mr Knightley is my favourite Jane Austen hero, even though he has bad taste in women. Emma really doesn't have such excellent understanding as the novel keeps insisting she does. Anyway, I almost liked it as an audiobook, though I dislike Emma's character so much I couldn't like reading the book myself and couldn't like the Gwenyth Paltrow version of the movie, even though I thought it pretty well done. I haven't seen any other version and I should like to in case it can make me like the story because I want to like it.

Apologies for incoherence, I'm horribly sleep deprived.

Rosie

I've also started reading The Moonstone and enjoying it. I like the writing style. Stacia, was it you that read it a while back and posted here?

No, it wasn't me. I've never read anything by Wilkie Collins, but I've seen many recommend her books on here. I need to put something by her on my 'want to read' list. :001_smile:

I think I am on book 33 or 34. STILL trying to get through The Trial by Kafka. I find it torturous to read and can only tolerate a few pages per day. I keep reading thinking there must be some redeeming quality since it is a classic. I finishes Night Light by Terri Blackstock. It is the second in a series describing life after electromagnetic pulses destroy all electronics. I've enjoyed the first two books. I have started Uncle Tom's Cabin as well.

I read Terri Blackstock's restoration series. Like all the books except the last one. Was sort of disappointed in the ending. I have all the books. If you would like me to send you the last two or all of them, let me know and I'll ship them out to you.

No, it wasn't me. I've never read anything by Wilkie Collins, but I've seen many recommend her books on here. I need to put something by her on my 'want to read' list. :001_smile:

Wilkie Collins (a he, btw :)) was a contemporary of Charles Dickens. In fact they were close friends and collaborated on a number of short stories and plays. They worked together on a literary magazine called "Household Words."

Anyway, I had never read anything by Collins until after I read the book Drood by Dan Simmons. It's a trippy, historical fiction/mystery/fantasy/thriller that features both Collins and Dickens. I loved it, btw!

I started Collins' The Woman in White after reading Drood, got about half way through, but didn't finish it. I don't recall why I put it down---I think I purchased a new book that I couldn't wait to get to, and never did get back to poor Collins (but I plan to!) despite the fact that I was really enjoying it.

Wilkie Collins (a he, btw :)) was a contemporary of Charles Dickens. In fact they were close friends and collaborated on a number of short stories and plays. They worked together on a literary magazine called "Household Words."

Anyway, I had never read anything by Collins until after I read the book Drood by Dan Simmons. It's a trippy, historical fiction/mystery/fantasy/thriller that features both Collins and Dickens. I loved it, btw!

I started Collins' The Woman in White after reading Drood, got about half way through, but didn't finish it. I don't recall why I put it down---I think I purchased a new book that I couldn't wait to get to, and never did get back to poor Collins (but I plan to!) despite the fact that I was really enjoying it.

Oops about the he (not she) mistake! :tongue_smilie: Thanks for pointing that out to me. I checked out Drood awhile back, but didn't really get started on it before it was due back at the library....

I haven't gotten much reading done. I think I'm going to punt for a while and IF I get time, I'll read, but right now there's just too much happening to sneak in some reading time. Sigh.... I did finish Omnivore's Dilemma though - loved it, though at the end I was thinking, yeah, I get it, processed bad, natural good, organic - maybe. Got it. I'm still going to change our eating habits when we get back to the States. Here it's all natural, just want to keep it up.

I've read:

History Of The Ancient World

Evangelical Is Not Enough

Square Foot Gardening (and yes, I really did read the whole thing)

A lot of cookbooks (I know, they don't count)

The Backyard Homestead

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

The Spirited Child

Museum of Innocence

Reasons To Believe

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Herodotus, Book 1

The Omnivore's Dilemma

I'm reading:

Fun: NOTHING

Reading Project: Herodotus' Histories

Religion: nothing, for now

Not getting to the reading this week, must be a holiday thing, or the fact that I've just been really busy.

I did pick up Steve Berry's The Charlemagne Pursuit from the library. I read one of his other books (The Emperor's Tomb) and really enjoyed it. Everytime I've sat down this week to read, my eyes close. Maybe this next week will be more productive in the reading department.

For all you reading gals (& guys), if you love American Lit (a la the Fitzgeralds, Hemmingway, etc...), you would probably really enjoy the movie "Midnight in Paris". I just posted about it in a separate thread, but wanted to add a note here because it is a movie especially for those who love Jazz Age literature & art.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289466

I finished The Reluctant Entertainer: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality (and you guys didn't even know I was reading it, huh? ;):lol:... even though I usually blather on & on about books...:tongue_smilie:). It was in my library book pile & I forgot I had it. I realized it was due & I couldn't renew it (it has other holds), so I quickly read it. It can be a bit repetitive, but there is some reasonable advice in there & some of the recipes look tasty (and fairly easy to make). I can't say it was a favorite read (it's really more of a practical advice book), but I like some of the info the author pointed out (esp. about conversation). Probably worth reading if you're not the type to entertain others in your home, but would like to start....

ETA: I stopped reading A Secret Gift. I know it's a worthwhile book, but I'm just not in the mood to cry every time I pick up the book. Plus, parts of it slowed (imo) in too much detail; I wasn't getting into the back-and-forth between heart-wrenching sadness & family minutiae.

Edited by Stacia

Finished...

The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Children Make Friends (Read about this on one of the threads, sounded interesting.)

Struglgling with...

I, Claudius, Robert Graves

Working on...

The Summer of Us, Holly Chamberlin

On Folly Beach, Karen White

Dragonhaven, Robin McKinley

Don Quixote, new translation by Edith Grossman

19. Lord of the Flies, William Golding

18. The Red Garden, Alice Hoffman

17. The Missing, Beverly Lewis

16. The Secret, Beverly Lewis

15. The Girl Who Chased the Moon, Sarah Allen

14. One Week in December, Holly Chamberlin

13. The Thorn, Beverly Lewis

12. Salting Roses, Lorelle Marinello

11. The Well Trained Mind, 2004 Edition

10. Night, Elie Wiesel

9. Last Light Over Carolina, Mary Alice Munroe

8. Homeschooling, A Family's Journey, Gregory and Martine Millman

7. Time is a River, Mary Alice Munroe

6. Commencement, Courtney Sullivan

5. The Redemption of Sarah Cain, Beverly Lewis

4. Thursdays at Eight, Debbie Macomber

3. The Three Weismann's of Westport, Cathleen Schine

2. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

1. The Search, Nora Roberts

I am so envious and in awe of all you readers. I have a question. "How do you find the time?" And as a follow-up question, "How do you stay awake?" If I read at the end of the day, even with the best of intentions, I fall asleep. I really would like to regain the habit of reading for myself. I read almost all day to my children :-)

I am so envious and in awe of all you readers. I have a question. "How do you find the time?" And as a follow-up question, "How do you stay awake?" If I read at the end of the day, even with the best of intentions, I fall asleep. I really would like to regain the habit of reading for myself. I read almost all day to my children :-)

Limit time on the computer. I don't watch TV except a movie on weekends. I'll be able to read more when my youngest is older. It can be hard to read with toddlers in the house.

I have different books for different times of day, if that makes sense. The ones that take the most concentration I read first thing in the morning before someone wakes up. (only quiet time in our house:tongue_smilie:)

The others are for appointments, park day, swimming, etc. My reading definitely is not on a consistent level by any means. There are days that I go without reading!

Edited by readinmom
wrong quote