Menu

If you could choose any school books/curriculum you wanted....

BatmansWife

....what would your pick??

Some of you may recall that I had planned on enrolling my kids in a virtual school (for many reasons...mostly financial, some for accountability, etc). Then I found out that our own school district has a new program for homeschoolers called a Homebased Educational Program. This program works with you on what you want to use and they purchase it for you (yes, I know....the string attatched is that we are their public school students.....I really don't care!). I just got word today that both of my kids are accepted in (there is a limit of 10 students).

I talked for well over an hour with the lady in charge of this program. Wow....she's wonderful! I've been homeschooling forever, it seems....yet I could learn soooo much from her. She has 10 children and homeschools (always has). So, I will meet with her on Thursday at the library to begin talking curriculum choices. I am really excited.

My 7 year old is still learning to read, and she suggested Headsprout for reading. I need to make a list of what I might like to use for each subject and see what ideas she has too (she has tried just about everything out there so I'm anxious to hear her recommendations/suggestions). My son will be starting 9th grade and we talked about Teaching Textbooks. I was thinking of Drive Thru History....but, I don't know how complete that is (if it would cover a school year or not). He has major reading/writing/spelling struggles so I thought a DVD program like that would be good.

So....if you had this opportunity...and you knew that your curriculum would be paid for (about $1,500 per student)....and your kids got a laptop too....what would your curriculum choices be for a 1st-2nd grader and a struggling 9th grader?

Wow, what an awesome opportunity!

If it were me, I would get the PAL program from IEW to get your youngest reading and off on a great start for writing. I would also look at their programs for your older depending on where you feel 9th grader is. You can call IEW and they are EXTREMELY helpful in helping you figure out where you should start. They have grammar, writing and literature and it all ties together. It is so expensive but I have been so glad we used their stuff - it has helped my children so much. Communication and writing are so important for highschool, college and real world. I want to make sure my kids are well prepared in this area!

If it were me, I would get the PAL program from IEW to get your youngest reading and off on a great start for writing. I would also look at their programs for your older depending on where you feel 9th grader is. You can call IEW and they are EXTREMELY helpful in helping you figure out where you should start. They have grammar, writing and literature and it all ties together. It is so expensive but I have been so glad we used their stuff - it has helped my children so much. Communication and writing are so important for highschool, college and real world. I want to make sure my kids are well prepared in this area!

Thank you for your suggestions. I will research this.

Ditto that! It would be awesome to have that opportunity here! But we don't and I'm not sure my dh would go for that because of the strings attached. So that being said...

We used OPGTR for our now almost 8 year old at the ripe old age of 4. We tried Kindergarten with him in the local charter school where they place kids in reading groups according to their ability and they rejoin their regular classmates for math, science, and history. He was bored! I love that book! I'll be using it for the baby when he starts to pester me.

As for math, I'm not the person to ask. My self-confidence in teaching math is next to nothing. I'm thinking of Teaching Textbooks if we can afford it when the time comes.

For history for the youngest, probably history pockets till they came out of my ears. Apologia for science for both.

(starting to drool over $1500 for each kid...lucky girl)

(starting to drool over $1500 for each kid...lucky girl)

I know. I've never spent that much money for all 3 of my kids in one year (seriously...money has always been an issue for us)! I'm almost like a kid in a candy store.....and I seriously want to get the most I can for both kids. It's so strange because I have never used a boxed curriculum....I have always done the pick and choose....if it didn't work I'd pick and choose again. Now I'm sitting here wondering what in the world am I gonna pick and choose!?

Heart of Dakota, for both elementary and high school. Singapore Standards math for elementary with all the manipulatives!!! RightStart math games, the LA and phonics choices in Heart of Dakota. (or phonics pathways bc we really like that too!). All the extension books for the 9th graders HOD level (I'd suggest CTC as it will REALLY help his writing from a foundational level without being childish whatsoever) and the books suggested by the author to make it completely high school worthy. Themes to Remember and other music study fun, Speekee Spanish DVDs for elementary, The Easy Spanish or French for the older, English From the Roots Up 1&2, VideoText Math for high school, plus maybe Life of Fred for fun math that's also solid. Could also stand alone. Hmmmm....

That's such an amazing opportunity. So happy for you to get in!!

If it is a public school charter you may likely be limited to only secular materials. I'm not sure if that matters to you? Just something to keep in mind as it might possibly be a limitation. We use a charter too, but don't receive nearly that amount per child!

Also, do you have to get books, etc., or does that amount allow it to be used for classes in the community? We use some of ours for PE classes, or other classes we would not otherwise be able to afford.

In curriculum, I use Singapore math simply because it has worked so far for our 2 children. My oldest is just going into 4th though, so no recommendations on your 9th grader.

I would get the most expensive option of History at Our House for the oldest. (I think they have classes for that age, but I'm not sure.)

I'd probably get some things I'm curious about, but haven't gotten a really good look at. That would include Beautiful Feet's History of the Horse and Literary Lessons from LOTR.

I might consider getting a couple of phonics programs and looking them over thoroughly before deciding (instead of going off of online samples and reviews). For me that would include Dancing Bears and McRuffy (but I know you've already used McRuffy and moved on).

Will they let you get a microscope and slide set?

I might get History Odyssey's timeline.

Other than that I would get the things I would have bought anyway. WWE, Apples and Pears, IEW Poetry....

If it is a public school charter you may likely be limited to only secular materials. I'm not sure if that matters to you? Just something to keep in mind as it might possibly be a limitation. We use a charter too, but don't receive nearly that amount per child!

Also, do you have to get books, etc., or does that amount allow it to be used for classes in the community? We use some of ours for PE classes, or other classes we would not otherwise be able to afford.

In curriculum, I use Singapore math simply because it has worked so far for our 2 children. My oldest is just going into 4th though, so no recommendations on your 9th grader.

:iagree:music lessons, commuity art classes, sports teams, martial arts, swim lessons...

For 2nd grader, I think I would stick largely with what we are already doing:

Rod and Staff English, math, phonics, spelling, penmanship, music worksheets (to add to any music study.)

I would do Story of the World and Activity guide.

I would spend Money on Science encyclopedias, possibly even purchasing a curric with the lessons planned out. I can't recommend any, as we have always followed WTM using the library and encyclopedias. I would purchase a microscope and other supplies depending on which year of study you are doing. If you are doing the WTM 2nd grade rotation of SOTW2 and Earth/Space science, I would also purchase some good rock kits and field trips to places to mine for rocks and minerals, etc.

Prima Latina

Drawing with Children or another art program

I would add if I had extra $ to spend:

some literary guides from Memoria Press

Bible Study from Memoria Press

Copybooks from Memoria Press

Possibly drop R&S penmanship and do theirs with the copybooks, but I would have to research it more.

I would also add music lessons and instrument

P.E. classes or outside sports

We have something similar here. It's through the school district, but it's an entire school dedicated to homeschooling. They have once a week enrichment classes, where the kids can sew, do woodshop, crafts, etc, etc, etc. They have a school farm and garden that the kids run, and more and more. I just can't say enough good things about our charter school.

They do cover curriculum for the main subjects (english, math, history, science, etc), but they will NOT pay for any curriculum that has any religious aspect to it whatsoever. They won't even cover SOTW. So, be prepared for that. If we want religious curriculum, we are welcome to purchase it ourselves and use it...they have NO problem with that, they just aren't responsible for buying it.

Wow, lucky you!!! I've never even heard of such a thing. Here I don't even think we are allowed to participate in sports with the ps.

Only thing I can think to add others haven't mentioned is a good microscope. That's on my wishlist. Also, I'd get some science kits (like the young scientist series), audio books, art sets, etc.

I can't help with High school as we're not there yet, but think Teaching Textbooks is a great program. For the younger one I think IEW's PAL reading and writing might be good, I love McRuffy but PAL seems to focus more on the phonics and lesson the grammar so I'm going to try it and if it's a bust we'll go back to McRuffy. McRuffy math is still my favorite for elementary math, my dd loves TT so I've had to deal with her not wanting to continue with McRuffy, but my son will definitely be using McRuffy for the next few years. History has never been an area I'm good with, so SOTW in our own hodge podge way has worked ok, and Real Science Odyssey has been a great fit for us.

Best of luck. I wish we had a program like that here. The law here will allow homeschoolers to participate is some classes if the school agrees to it but it's up to each school and the ones here want nothing to do with us unless it's something forced upon them by the Feds, like Speech Therapy.

Do be sure to check the stipulations. The charter we are with makes us return any non-consumable items at the end of the year that we have finished (but the flip side to that is that we can borrow textbooks other families have turned in). They also won't pay for anything religious or e-books of any sort. The charter we were with in 2009-2010 paid for printer paper & ink/toner but when we moved & switched charters, our new one doesn't.

How is the 9th grader struggling? What areas? That might help. In terms of math, I like the "Life of Fred" series.

For a 1st/2nd grader... I like Right Start math--probably level B or C, Singapore, Math Mammoth, etc. But it really depends on how your child learns. What's a great fit for some is not for others.

For learning to read, I've heard good things about Headsprouts. We used Click-n-Read phonics with two kids. My DD did not like computer stuff, but really loves the new Hooked on Phonics materials.

I'd probably buy a bunch of literature from Sonlight, as well as Shurley English.

A foreign language program--possibly Rosetta Stone, but it would depend on the language. I was not impressed with their Arabic offering--and that's what we're learning right now. A British company's Michel Thomas method has worked much better for us.

For Science, REAL Science. History, SOTW or History Odyssey.

Lots of arts & crafts supplies. :) Maybe a microscope or pottery wheel--would depend on the child.

OK so wait a minute. Breathe. Think about the fact that YOU are the teacher. Decide what you would buy and what your children would do in a perfect world with no financial issues. Then decide what you would buy and what your children would do in your normal world.

Only then is it time to start thinking about this money.

Why? Because IMO, the primary danger to these public charters is that they can distort your decision making to the point where you're compromising significantly. Unless this is a make or break sum of money for you, that's not worth it. Even then, it's a bit questionable.

For instance: For writing, if you have always yearned for Scott Foresman but stayed with Writing Strands because it's reasonably priced and gets the job done, maybe switching with a little help would be a great thing. But if you had always thought that WS was just fine, don't buy the other just to buy it. Or if your ideal is a pricey but Christian curriculum, don't buy SF. It will just drive you crazy.

Don't let the teacher be the child's teacher. YOU are the child's teacher. YOU are the expert. Her job is to facilitate and serve you and your family, not to take over. Hopefully she won't try to do that, but be ready to assert yourself, but very nicely, if necessary.

My experience was that everyone won when I used these kinds of funds for activities rather than anything else. This is because the teacher must fill out paperwork for each purchase, and so it's easier if you use your funds up with just a couple vendors instead of 20. Also, activities and consumables don't have to be returned, so you don't have to account for them in the same way. It is quite inconvenient to have a call back of your math book at the beginning of the summer if you haven't quite finished it yet, or not to be able to get summer materials because you are out of funds. If you have music, theater, art, or science lessons that you have always wanted but been unable to afford, those might be the very best uses of your instructional funds.

I will add that I personally see the main danger of public charters is that there is a tendency on the part of the public school establishment to want to make them mandatory. I think it's very important to fight this in lobbying, and not to feed into this mindset. Also, again, don't let it distort your own schooling of your own children. If you keep this in its proper place, it can be wonderful. If it creeps out and takes over, either in your own teaching or in the state, that's bad.

Don't let the teacher be the child's teacher. YOU are the child's teacher. YOU are the expert. Her job is to facilitate and serve you and your family, not to take over. Hopefully she won't try to do that, but be ready to assert yourself, but very nicely, if necessary.

My experience was that everyone won when I used these kinds of funds for activities rather than anything else. This is because the teacher must fill out paperwork for each purchase, and so it's easier if you use your funds up with just a couple vendors instead of 20. Also, activities and consumables don't have to be returned, so you don't have to account for them in the same way. It is quite inconvenient to have a call back of your math book at the beginning of the summer if you haven't quite finished it yet, or not to be able to get summer materials because you are out of funds. If you have music, theater, art, or science lessons that you have always wanted but been unable to afford, those might be the very best uses of your instructional funds.

I will add that I personally see the main danger of public charters is that there is a tendency on the part of the public school establishment to want to make them mandatory. I think it's very important to fight this in lobbying, and not to feed into this mindset. Also, again, don't let it distort your own schooling of your own children. If you keep this in its proper place, it can be wonderful. If it creeps out and takes over, either in your own teaching or in the state, that's bad.

Well said. You articulated what I feel a program like this would do. Thanks :)

And yes! I would let them pay all my activities if there were no danger. But even then.. I don't want any strings attached, IYKWIM ;)

(I'd suggest CTC as it will REALLY help his writing from a foundational level without being childish whatsoever) and the books suggested by the author to make it completely high school worthy. Themes to Remember and other music study fun, Speekee Spanish DVDs for elementary, The Easy Spanish or French for the older, English From the Roots Up 1&2, VideoText Math for high school, plus maybe Life of Fred for fun math that's also solid. Could also stand alone. Hmmmm....

That's such an amazing opportunity. So happy for you to get in!!

Thanks for your suggestions. What is CTC? Do you have a link?

If it is a public school charter you may likely be limited to only secular materials. Also, do you have to get books, etc., or does that amount allow it to be used for classes in the community? We use some of ours for PE classes, or other classes we would not otherwise be able to afford.

I don't know if they only allow secular...they might (which won't be a problem). I will find out later this week when I meet with her. As for classes....it's possible. I did ask about my son getting credit for Learn & Master Guitar (a dvd program we have) and she said yes...and said something about guitar lessons as an elective. So, I will for sure find that out too.

I would get the most expensive option of History at Our House for the oldest. (I think they have classes for that age, but I'm not sure.) I'd probably get some things I'm curious about, but haven't gotten a really good look at. That would include Beautiful Feet's History of the Horse and Literary Lessons from LOTR. Will they let you get a microscope and slide set?

I haven't heard of History at Our House. I will investigate that. What is LOTR? We already have a good microscope and several slide sets. Good suggestion though...as well as everything else you added.

:iagree:music lessons, commuity art classes, sports teams, martial arts, swim lessons...

My dd is already thrilled because she is getting 2 levels of free swimming lessons at the community pool this summer. Last summer we didn't do any lessons because we had to pay....and it was too expensive.

Drawing with Children or another art program

I forgot about Drawing with Children. I had been interested in this before. Another one to add to my list to research about. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I'd add to whatever else you get, good literature selections and some books with art reproductions and art supplies.

Art supplies....yes. I am hoping we can include art/school supplies.

We have something similar here. It's through the school district, but it's an entire school dedicated to homeschooling. They have once a week enrichment classes, where the kids can sew, do woodshop, crafts, etc, etc, etc. They have a school farm and garden that the kids run, and more and more. I just can't say enough good things about our charter school.

They do cover curriculum for the main subjects (english, math, history, science, etc), but they will NOT pay for any curriculum that has any religious aspect to it whatsoever. They won't even cover SOTW. So, be prepared for that. If we want religious curriculum, we are welcome to purchase it ourselves and use it...they have NO problem with that, they just aren't responsible for buying it.

Sounds like a wonderful program where you are.

Can I mov to your state?

:D

Actually, you'd have to move to my school district. It's not a state wide thing (but that would be cool!).

I'd get some science kits (like the young scientist series), audio books, art sets, etc.

Great suggestions. Thank you!

I can't help with High school as we're not there yet, but think Teaching Textbooks is a great program. For the younger one I think IEW's PAL reading and writing might be good, I love McRuffy but PAL seems to focus more on the phonics and lesson the grammar so I'm going to try it and if it's a bust we'll go back to McRuffy.

It seems like there is so much I've never heard of. I have to look at what this PAL is.

Do be sure to check the stipulations. The charter we are with makes us return any non-consumable items at the end of the year that we have finished (but the flip side to that is that we can borrow textbooks other families have turned in). They also won't pay for anything religious or e-books of any sort. The charter we were with in 2009-2010 paid for printer paper & ink/toner but when we moved & switched charters, our new one doesn't.

Yes...I will find out. I know they won't pay for internet reimbursement, like some virtual schools do. But, they are loaning laptops, so the kids are happy about that.

How is the 9th grader struggling? What areas? That might help. In terms of math, I like the "Life of Fred" series.

For a 1st/2nd grader... I like Right Start math--probably level B or C, Singapore, Math Mammoth, etc. But it really depends on how your child learns. What's a great fit for some is not for others.

For learning to read, I've heard good things about Headsprouts. We used Click-n-Read phonics with two kids. My DD did not like computer stuff, but really loves the new Hooked on Phonics materials.

I'd probably buy a bunch of literature from Sonlight, as well as Shurley English.

A foreign language program--possibly Rosetta Stone, but it would depend on the language. I was not impressed with their Arabic offering--and that's what we're learning right now. A British company's Michel Thomas method has worked much better for us.

For Science, REAL Science. History, SOTW or History Odyssey.

Lots of arts & crafts supplies. :) Maybe a microscope or pottery wheel--would depend on the child.

Thanks for the suggestions. Well....we don't have the time to discuss all what's wrong with ds. :lol: I think he has dyslexia. He can decode much better than encode, though. He's just gotten himself behind in a lot (math) because of struggles, poor attitude, work (working with dh). The lady in charge of this program has a son with dyslexia, who has successfully graduated and has a very good job. She knows of resources available. She is also a reading specialist of some sort, so she is going to do some assessments with ds. I didn't even know that there were new HOP materials. I'll have to look. My oldest did a year of Shurley once...she really learned a lot that year. Thanks for your ideas.

Thanks for your concern and all of your suggestions. This homeschooling mom is the facilitator not the teacher. Goodness...I don't know how the woman can even do it all....her youngest is in 2nd grade and she also is on the board for a virtual school in a district near ours (which is run very similarly to this homebased program....where each family chooses their own curriculum. When I talked to her on the phone I heard her yawning several times. :lol: In a way, her job would be really cool....but so time consuming. Oh...and she told me several times that she is there to help me...not take over, not to make the decisions. Whatever we decide to order is fine with her. Her main concern is finding out what the kids are interested in and what will spark their interest/curiosity and help build something around that.

For highschool, I would recommend K12 International Academy or Veritas Press Scholar Academy and for younger K12 private.

k12 was a consideration. I need to research if you can purchase individual subjects...I was interested in their history and art for dd.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

This is what I would do for the 1st-2nd grader:

Language Arts: Handwriting without Tears, All About Spelling, First Language Lessons, Writing with Ease, and a phonics-based reading program of some sort

Latin: Song School Latin

Math: Depending on learning style -- Right Start Math or Singapore or ?. Also the new Life of Fred books for early elementary. Oh yeah, and a bunch of living math books and a ton of math games.

History: Story of the World

Science: Pandia Press - Real Science Odyssey -- Life or Earth/Space

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: any chance you can get lessons paid for? Same with sports or dance...

Other: subscriptions to Discovery Education Plus (aka United Streaming), BrainPopJr, Edhelper.com, EnchantedLearning.com

Thanks for your suggestions. This gives me some more ideas to think about.

Sounds like a wonderful program where you are.

:D

Actually, you'd have to move to my school district. It's not a state wide thing (but that would be cool!).

Great suggestions. Thank you!

It seems like there is so much I've never heard of. I have to look at what this PAL is.

Yes...I will find out. I know they won't pay for internet reimbursement, like some virtual schools do. But, they are loaning laptops, so the kids are happy about that.

Thanks for the suggestions. Well....we don't have the time to discuss all what's wrong with ds. :lol: I think he has dyslexia. He can decode much better than encode, though. He's just gotten himself behind in a lot (math) because of struggles, poor attitude, work (working with dh). The lady in charge of this program has a son with dyslexia, who has successfully graduated and has a very good job. She knows of resources available. She is also a reading specialist of some sort, so she is going to do some assessments with ds. I didn't even know that there were new HOP materials. I'll have to look. My oldest did a year of Shurley once...she really learned a lot that year. Thanks for your ideas.

Thanks for your concern and all of your suggestions. This homeschooling mom is the facilitator not the teacher. Goodness...I don't know how the woman can even do it all....her youngest is in 2nd grade and she also is on the board for a virtual school in a district near ours (which is run very similarly to this homebased program....where each family chooses their own curriculum. When I talked to her on the phone I heard her yawning several times. :lol: In a way, her job would be really cool....but so time consuming. Oh...and she told me several times that she is there to help me...not take over, not to make the decisions. Whatever we decide to order is fine with her. Her main concern is finding out what the kids are interested in and what will spark their interest/curiosity and help build something around that.

k12 was a consideration. I need to research if you can purchase individual subjects...I was interested in their history and art for dd.

Yes you can buy ind. subjects.

WOW! I didn't even know oppurtunities like that existed! Your one very lucky lady!

Some thoughts for your younger one:

History: History Odyssey Ancients L1 or SOTW and AG

Geography:A lady on here I think has a free US Geography course? Or Galloping the Globe, Ultimate or Trail Guides (all stuff from Geomatters)

Spelling: All About Spelling

English/LA: Peace Hill Press stuff, Growing With Grammar, Wordly Wise 3000, Write Source, many others I've forgotten LOL. Headsprouts is a good idea if you can afford it, I can't so we chose Click N Kids and Letter Factory DVD.

Life Skills - Montessori for Everyone has checklists, also Pearables Home Ec, Keepers of the Faith

Religion - If your religious (I teach my children bible, but I secularize most other subjects) Bible Study for all ages.

Art & Music - Artistic Pursuits, MUSIQ Year 1 Quick Start Bundle by Adventus, Electives from Sonlight.

Critical Thinking - Mind Benders Beginning 2, or any others from Critical Thinking Co

Phonics - Other than stuff listed in English, I would suggest Explode the Code

Maths - We use Singapore, but we're Aussie. I would Suggest Singapore Math with Intensive Practice Challenging Word Problems & the HIG. Or Rightstart, Saxon, Math Mammoth, so many choices LOL.

xxxx

this will be my first homeschooling year so i can' thelp on the curriculum but was curious how you found out your school offered this? did they contact you or????

thanks!

They didn't contact me. Actually about 4 or 5 years ago a guy at the school, who heads the virtual school in our district, told me he could get our son the Calvert curriculum through the school (long story short is that I was discussing with him the virtual school for oldest dd and my son came up in the conversation). Problem was....Calvert is packaged as one grade; if you have a struggling reader/speller/writer (like my ds) we would have had to go a few grades below. At the time I didn't want to do that...said thank you just the same...we'll keep doing our own thing. Fast forward to beginning high school and I open enroll both kids to a virtual school. I contact this guy (I've had many dealings with him over the years and he's really a great person) to see if they still offered Calvert (this time for youngest dd). He said they have new/better options and we should meet again. That's how I found out about their new Homebased Educational Program. Had I not contacted him I'm sure he wouldn't have contacted me.

Anyway...that was a long and boring story. :tongue_smilie: I know a family in a school district near us who has been getting Calvert from their school for several years. I think it's one of those things that if you don't call your school to see what they offer (if anything)....you might never know.

For your 9th grader, I wouldn't worry so much about what to do for Science, History, or any other content subjects with him, until his reading, spelling, writing, and grammar are on a par with his grade level.

If you are required to "do something" for those other subjects, I would choose the most minimal programs for these, and put the bulk of the effort for 9th grade into building his skills with the English language.

For your 9th grader, I wouldn't worry so much about what to do for Science, History, or any other content subjects with him, until his reading, spelling, writing, and grammar are on a par with his grade level.

If you are required to "do something" for those other subjects, I would choose the most minimal programs for these, and put the bulk of the effort for 9th grade into building his skills with the English language.

:iagree:

And, with that kind of money to spend and since you have tried other things, I would go ahead and spring for Barton. You could probably count the lower several levels for your youngest, too, and buy the higher levels with money for your oldest. Then, you could have money for something like Kurzweil for your 9th grader that would make all the other subjects easier. Rewards Reading is also a possibility, and has added vocabulary and reading comprehension work. I would ask on the Special Needs board and see what people there think would be the best use of the money.

For your 7 year old, Headsprout has too many sight words for my tastes, especially if you have tendencies toward dyslexia in the family. I do like Read, Write, Type for a computer phonics program if you want something that can be done on her own to supplement. I would go with PP or OPG, maybe combined with AAS so you can use that for both. You want a good solid program that does not lend itself to guessing. Here is a thread where I explain the pluses and minuses of a bunch of phonics programs, my post is number 14.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177739

You should feel jipped. The school system is likely receiving $8000-$9000 PER child from state and federal funding. Since they are only giving you $1500 per child, they are making out pretty good. Have you thought to ask how they plan to use the additional $20,000+ they are receiving each year by adding your three children to their public school roster?

I would get living books/historical fictions/biographies til they were coming out of my ears!!!! We want Christian curriculum so I would get as many supplemental items (as well as math, Chalkdust Basic then VideoText after that) and science supplies, and DVD supplements, and wow. I am getting excited for you :D What an awesome opportunity! Don't forget about living books/supplemental/biographies for Science, Math and whatever else you can, not just history!! Have fun!

For a 2nd grader I'd use exactly what's in my signature. We love Heart of Dakota!!, Math U See, Bible Study Guide for All Ages, and Reading Reflex is working well. The only things I'd add if I had plenty of money would be lots of science kits, field trips, sports equipment, etc.

You should feel jipped. The school system is likely receiving $8000-$9000 PER child from state and federal funding. Since they are only giving you $1500 per child, they are making out pretty good. Have you thought to ask how they plan to use the additional $20,000+ they are receiving each year by adding your three children to their public school roster?

Yes, I realize the school system is getting a lot more money than what they are allotting per child. To me....this is still a lot of money....especially when I didn't know how we'd afford curriculum at all this year. I also found out that my teen gets $2,000....so as a family it is $3,500. I don't feel jipped. Beggers can't be choosers. But....yet, I *do* get to choose. :D I'm super excited that I get to choose things that I never ever would have been able to (like Nancy Larson Science!).

I would get living books/historical fictions/biographies til they were coming out of my ears!!!! We want Christian curriculum so I would get as many supplemental items (as well as math, Chalkdust Basic then VideoText after that) and science supplies, and DVD supplements, and wow. I am getting excited for you :D What an awesome opportunity! Don't forget about living books/supplemental/biographies for Science, Math and whatever else you can, not just history!! Have fun!

For a 2nd grader I'd use exactly what's in my signature. We love Heart of Dakota!!, Math U See, Bible Study Guide for All Ages, and Reading Reflex is working well. The only things I'd add if I had plenty of money would be lots of science kits, field trips, sports equipment, etc.

Thank you both for these ideas.

I believe that in CA the per child amount is far less than that, in the 6-7K range, and that ISP funds are capped at 70% of that. So although the numbers still show a lot of overhead, the proportions are not nearly as negative as you suggest.

Actually, it's only two of my kids. The older one already graduated.