Menu

Anyone else notice the resurrected threads?

Now I'm wondering if I've accidentally posted in any threads resurrected by someone else... :001_huh: It'd be easy for me to do, since I don't check OP dates - I just browse the first 10 pages or less of the forum, which on the general forum means I get to threads with a most recent post about 24 hours before the time I'm actually on, usually. :D

I "resurrected" one today (how old is too old?) because I searched what I was looking for first and someone had already asked, but no-one had answered. I thought it was better to bump the old thread than start another new one. Should I have not done that :confused:

I did that earlier on a thread for the same reason...Why start a new thread about the same thing if you found the old one?...People can just add to it if you need more info...

Should I have not done that :confused:

I would rather see an old thread than have people asking the same questions again. There is often good information in the old threads and there are a ton of new people here lately who might benefit from that old wisdom. So, I am not in charge of anything anywhere ever but I don't think you did anything naughty :001_smile:

And apparently I am totally oblivious. I kind of wish they would put an original post date on the thread list.

Edited by jcooperetc

I "resurrected" one today (how old is too old?) because I searched what I was looking for first and someone had already asked, but no-one had answered. I thought it was better to bump the old thread than start another new one. Should I have not done that :confused:

No, it is not you; there is a poster who is "necroposting" (love that!) with no real content. You are fine.:001_smile:

I think it is find to resurrect old threads on topics - like educational methods etc. When the OP was asking for a specific reason, then it don't like it. Like, I'm having a party next week (and it was originally posted over a year ago).

Another way to pull in good information in an old thread is to post a new thread and link in the old thread.

I wonder what that's all about.

Hmm.....

Just noticed. I almost posted on one!

I'm pretty new, so I was also wondering about the etiquette of posting on old threads. I was going to post on one that was about a program. It was strictly informational, with people just sharing recommendations. I thought it would be better to post on an old thread than start a new one on the same subject. Was curious about how things were working out for them a year later, but I noticed people get irritated when old threads are resurrected. But I also notice people get upset when someone asks the same question again. So, just when I thought I understood the etiquette behind old threads (not reviving just to up the post count, not trying to flood the first page, no pot-stirring, etc.), I got confused.

Just noticed. I almost posted on one!

I'm pretty new, so I was also wondering about the etiquette of posting on old threads. I was going to post on one that was about a program. It was strictly informational, with people just sharing recommendations. I thought it would be better to post on an old thread than start a new one on the same subject. Was curious about how things were working out for them a year later, but I noticed people get irritated when old threads are resurrected. But I also notice people get upset when someone asks the same question again. So, just when I thought I understood the etiquette behind old threads (not reviving just to up the post count, not trying to flood the first page, no pot-stirring, etc.), I got confused.

As someone said earlier, resurecting old threads (or linking to older threads) that are informative is fine. Bringing up threads that have to do with the minutia of life is crazy. If you look carefully the threads that are being resurrected aren't ancient but not necessarily something that someone would want to resurrect.

It just made me wonder, that's all.

I think I found the one you are referring to :) Definitely weird.

ETA: It isn't just an accidental case of posting :) Not that is is scandalous by any means, but as one poster said, absolutely no content. And some don't even make sense! But alas not my worry :P although it does make for an interesting thread!

Edited by Mynyel

What is "necroposting"?...I still have a lot to learn here :tongue_smilie:

Posting on a dead thread.

As someone else posted, it depends on the thread. My poll on milk drinking was posted a month or so ago but it doesn't bother me because the information doesn't get old and polls don't allow you to post to them a second time. A thread on a toddler parenting issue when the said toddler is now 8 years old is just weird.

Personally, if I wanted to bring up a topic for conversation that had been discussed before, I would start a new thread with a link in the first post to the relevant old threads. That way people aren't confused. A couple years is a long time in the life of a forum and sometimes the original posters of these threads aren't even around anymore.

This seems to be one of those 'darned if you do, darned if you don't..." things. I have read many replies that state something like "...use the search feature, this has been discussed to death..." or something li ke it. But, If you post on a dead thread you risk being accused of something nefarious. Not saying everyone is like this, but some definitely are.

I get what some are saying. It is also easy to not notice the original post date ;).

Personally, if I wanted to bring up a topic for conversation that had been discussed before, I would start a new thread with a link in the first post to the relevant old threads. That way people aren't confused. A couple years is a long time in the life of a forum and sometimes the original posters of these threads aren't even around anymore.

Ah, good idea. Thanks.

This seems to be one of those 'darned if you do, darned if you don't..." things. I have read many replies that state something like "...use the search feature, this has been discussed to death..." or something li ke it. But, If you post on a dead thread you risk being accused of something nefarious. Not saying everyone is like this, but some definitely are.

I get what some are saying. It is also easy to not notice the original post date ;).

That's what I meant, too. I have read so many threads where people dismiss it with "search!" or "we've talked about this before!". Usually it's done kindly but sometimes it seems impatient.

As someone said earlier, resurecting old threads (or linking to older threads) that are informative is fine. Bringing up threads that have to do with the minutia of life is crazy. If you look carefully the threads that are being resurrected aren't ancient but not necessarily something that someone would want to resurrect.

It just made me wonder, that's all.

Thanks. I looked at those threads and I see what you mean now. I can definitely see more why people get worked up about old ones.

When I was first here, I necro posted a couple times because of the related threads that show at the bottom of the page when you're reading a thread. It's easy to do by mistake when you aren't used to the board.

That really makes sense- I can now see why people might do it without realising its a very old thread- I hadn't thought of that. And its not their fault- that function is obviously there for a reason and looks very tempting to click on it when you are interested.

I love "necro posting" btw- wonderful term!

Is it considered a faux pas to post to an old thread?

Basically, I think so, but more so if it is an issue that is no longer relevant, or not very important. The conversations here are fresh and move more quickly than pretty much anywhere else, and many of us have been here for years. When an old thread is dredged up, especially if the person who brought it up hasn't got anything useful to add to it- or it is a controversial issue- it can get annoying.

But I am understanding why people do it now- its not just to be annoying :) I often wondered how they would go back hundreds or thousands of pages and not realise it was an old thread, possibly years old. Now I understand, they probably just clicked on a "related topic" below a current thread (to give them the benefit of the doubt).