Menu

Hello, I'm overwhelmed (Kindergarten)

shlee111

Hi all! I've been stalking this site for a while now, but since I just attended my first convention for my rising kindergartener I thought now would be a good time to introduce myself. I'm Ashley, mother of almost 5 yo and almost 2 year old. We are just gearing up for our first official year and I'm so excited and overwhelmed.

No amount of warning prepared me for the convention. I went in with the idea of using Ordinary Parents Guide for reading (which we already use at home) and looking for a math curriculum. Now I'm looking at MFW as an alternative to everything. I LOVE Math on the Level. What do you think...go with Ordinary Parents Guide and MOTL or do a whole approach with MFW? I think MFW looks more fun for DD but I worry about the inflexibility to move faster or slower in certain areas. Also I like incorporating Biblical concepts into the studies with MFW. I worry I wouldn't get that enough with no curriculum to direct me.

Sigh...

Welcome!

Everyone has their own approach. I started with one subject at a time, got into a groove over a few months, and then added another. It is only kindergarten, right?

I started with math, 10 minutes per day, by timer. When that was going well, I added learning to read. Then, I felt I needed a "real" curriculum and bought Sonlight. It was NOT a good match. It made me realize that I do a really good job of choosing library books and that we were reading lots of wonderful books on our own. A bit after that, I added handwriting and spelling via SWR.

I felt like doing one thing, getting it going well, and then adding on, helped us be successful without being overwhelmed. It also helped my youngers adapt. This year, we'll add science.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
grammar! need to pay attention while writing!

I struggled with the same questions last year when we got started. I love the idea of MFW, but hated that it integrates phonics and math in K. I like to keep them separate for the very reason you stated. I decided to do separate math and phonics and go elsewhere for history and science. I am very glad we did separate math and phonics, as my dd did a first grade math curriculum this year, and made it about a third of the way through first grade phonics after completing K. I am very glad we had the flexibility with that. One thing I would have changed was to add something MFW or SL like for the other components. I got scared away by the price tags in some of those curricula, but ultimately, I would have liked something to follow, even if it would have been the SL list just as a reading list... Most importantly, pick curricula you and your dc can enjoy! :)

Hi all! I've been stalking this site for a while now, but since I just attended my first convention for my rising kindergartener I thought now would be a good time to introduce myself. I'm Ashley, mother of almost 5 yo and almost 2 year old. We are just gearing up for our first official year and I'm so excited and overwhelmed.

No amount of warning prepared me for the convention. I went in with the idea of using Ordinary Parents Guide for reading (which we already use at home) and looking for a math curriculum. Now I'm looking at MFW as an alternative to everything. I LOVE Math on the Level. What do you think...go with Ordinary Parents Guide and MOTL or do a whole approach with MFW? I think MFW looks more fun for DD but I worry about the inflexibility to move faster or slower in certain areas. Also I like incorporating Biblical concepts into the studies with MFW. I worry I wouldn't get that enough with no curriculum to direct me.

Sigh...

Welcome, Ashley!

Best wishes in your search.

If you use MFW, I would commit yourself up front to using another phonics and math or just realize that it is best to go at their pace and use their phonics and math but not worry about aligning it with the rest of MFW. Also, I wouldn't use their stories as is--I had a remedial student who started getting some guessing habits from being pre-read the stories, then she would start guessing the words when she was trying to read them. It also moved along too fast for her.

HOD might be a better fit for your history and Bible, it has a bit more flexibility for LA and math.

We have enjoyed MFW this year, but I used my own phonics and math with my K student and did the Bible from Adventures with him fully and the history lightly. He enjoys science, so he did that fully.

Take a deep breath!

For Kinergarden your goals are:

1) a good attitude towards learning

2) learning to read

3) developing fine motor skills (even if this is dot to dot or mazes, and not writing).

That is it! The rest is whatever you want to make it. But I would recommend lots of outings and hands-on fun. Don't stress. I absolutely promise that no one will get ahead of you in the first year. It is easy for your child to take 3 years to learn what it would only take 1 year to learn if you wait 2 years. Does that make any sense?!?!?!

Good luck,

Ruth

I'll chime in and say that I didn't do any K with my dd-now-9. We did a few lessons of RightStart Math occasionally, but other than that, no K. It didn't hurt her at all, and she's doing fine going into fourth grade. My advice, if you want to do something for K, is to go with the minimum ... in your case, OPGTTR and MOTL. I wouldn't spring for an entire, expensive curriculum for K.

Tara

Take a deep breath!

For Kinergarden your goals are:

1) a good attitude towards learning

2) learning to read

3) developing fine motor skills (even if this is dot to dot or mazes, and not writing).

That is it! The rest is whatever you want to make it. But I would recommend lots of outings and hands-on fun. Don't stress. I absolutely promise that no one will get ahead of you in the first year. It is easy for your child to take 3 years to learn what it would only take 1 year to learn if you wait 2 years. Does that make any sense?!?!?!

Good luck,

Ruth

I think these goals are important to remember. Keep it light, especially as it is your first year hs'ing. I was in the same position 2 years ago. We chose SL P4/5 (light and fun), Singapore Math, and SWR for handwriting/reading to start. That's it and it was a great no-stress year. A few months into it, I'd gained some confidence and we added some fun extras but not much. You can see that it went so well, I'm doing the same for my new K'er. If MFW K sounds good to you, go for it. A lot of people really like it on this board. My dc have been too asynchronous for a program like that but it's a good fit for some. If not, choose a math, handwriting, and some great read-alouds You already have OPGTR which is a solid start. Have a fun year, develop a good school relationship, and research for 1st grade.

Hi and Welcome!

I haven't read all the replies, I can only say that I have used MFW K twice now, and it is SO wonderful! It's fun, it's easy to teach, the Bible/character lessons are very sweet and appropriate, it's a great phonics and math foundation - for me, it's just about the perfect K program.

I'm not sure what you mean about the inflexibility of it. In my experience, if a kid is ready for "more" you will not be able to hold them back - even if you're doing the phonics worksheets on pace with the program. Your child can still move faster with reading - there's plenty of time outside of school time, because the program is so efficient (about an hour a day). So lots of time to practice other stuff. (My dd was reading at about a 2nd-3rd grade level by the end of MFW K - my son has not really progressed beyond the phonics instruction, because he'd rather be outside playing.) If your child gets to reading very well, the phonics lessons can easily become beginning spelling instruction.

Same with the math - I would go through and do all the suggested math activities, but then if your child is ready for more "advanced" work, you can easily do that later. Or adjust the assignments to fit your child. (See my new motto in my sig. :) )

I'm biased, because I just love MFW K, but I think you should just pray about it and then pick whichever thing gives you the most sense of peace. It's all good.

(If you have specific questions about mfw k, please feel free to ask, and/or check out the mfw board: board.mfwbooks.com)

Just a side note. A LOT of people told me to keep it simple for kindergarten. Many Kers need simple. Since a love of learning is a high priority for this age, you need to base that on your child. We followed the keep it simple for K -- phonics, math, handwriting, and Bible, we also added a history/missionary biography with activity guide once a week. Read alouds as well, but because they were not scheduled I slacked on them. Know yourself and know your child. The parents who suggest keep it simple usually have older children or are naturally good at "parenting" the read alouds and hands on activities. :tongue_smilie: I envy them! ;) For me, if I want that stuff a part of our day, I need to schedule it. I have littles, and I need to have flexibility for when the extras just can't get done, but I like to have it planned for when it can. For me, I would have added scheduled read alouds to have gotten more in, that's it though. We got the hands on aspect in our missionary stories and Bible. I would have like to have more craft time for them though. . . I may just be a slacker though, so :tongue_smilie:

Just thoughts from my year! :)

Just a side note. A LOT of people told me to keep it simple for kindergarten. Many Kers need simple. Since a love of learning is a high priority for this age, you need to base that on your child. We followed the keep it simple for K -- phonics, math, handwriting, and Bible, we also added a history/missionary biography with activity guide once a week. Read alouds as well, but because they were not scheduled I slacked on them. Know yourself and know your child. The parents who suggest keep it simple usually have older children or are naturally good at "parenting" the read alouds and hands on activities. :tongue_smilie: I envy them! ;) For me, if I want that stuff a part of our day, I need to schedule it. I have littles, and I need to have flexibility for when the extras just can't get done, but I like to have it planned for when it can. For me, I would have added scheduled read alouds to have gotten more in, that's it though. We got the hands on aspect in our missionary stories and Bible. I would have like to have more craft time for them though. . . I may just be a slacker though, so :tongue_smilie:

Just thoughts from my year! :)

I could see really simplifying the year with OPGTR, lots of library books, and something fun for math and handwriting. :)

We're going to use the Epi Kardia kindergarten curriculum with our own math (MUS primer) and phonics (PR 1). I am excited about it. It covers the history of the whole world in one year vs. a classical schedule for history. I think it will be fun:)

Thanks for all the encouragement. I would love to keep things as simple as possible (fewers subjects) but also easy (aka boxed curriculums).

I looked at tons of stuff at the convention, and I'm going to sit on it for a while and pray about it. I won't get the discounts from the convention, but I'll feel better about waiting.

:001_smile:

This is just why I chose HOD. I can continue with our own phonics and math choices while having gentle and fun extras scheduled for me with Bible interwoven throughout (something I wanted in our days but needed hand holding with).

MFW K does look delightful; we had just already started on a different path before I found it.

I've never gone to a convention for exactly that reason. I've always loved what I've used for school, but I know if I started to peek around, I'd panic and second guess all that we do.

You kind of have to follow your instinct when you choose curriculum. Choose something that looks appealing to you and that looks teachable. If it makes sense to you, you can make it work. Do not get in the habit of looking around and comparing - make a decision and stick with it unless there is a concrete reason to change. I really think that people can make too big of a deal about WHAT they are using. Nothing is perfect.

Like what others have said - keep it simple. Stick with the 3Rs as the focus. My K focus was to have my kids reading very very well by 1st grade, to know basic math facts, telling time, counting money, handwriting, etc. Just the basic skills should be the focus. Don't stress and have fun. Your kids are little for such a short time and nothing is ever worth losing focus of that simple little truth. Just do a little each day, encourage and praise their efforts, and whatever you do, don't make them dread school!

I think you have to do what is best for YOUR family. We are doing HOD for K. Some of her skills are at first grade level and some are at K level so I love that I can tailor her education to where she is act.

That said, our focus this year will be phonics and math. everything else is just there for fun and to keep her interested b/c she wants to do a lot of things her big sister is doing [history/science/art].

Thanks for all the encouragement. I would love to keep things as simple as possible (fewers subjects) but also easy (aka boxed curriculums).

I looked at tons of stuff at the convention, and I'm going to sit on it for a while and pray about it. I won't get the discounts from the convention, but I'll feel better about waiting.

:001_smile:

Agreeing with the experienced ladies who said to not stress about a curriculum for a K'er. We've had 3 K'ers so far with 2 more to go. Kindergarten is easy. Really. :) Phonics, play, a little math, play, maybe some penmenship (depending on fine motor skills), read alouds, play. Sensing the theme? :tongue_smilie:

Anything else is pure gravy. Set up some fun learning areas in your house: perhaps a card table or two with puzzles, tangrams, art, etc. Have a basket or shelf full of fun books to read aloud. Story time at the library. Perhaps you have a botanical garden or children's museum or [...] Some of this is easier to do with your toddler around.

Have fun this year and remember this homeschooling gig is a marathon, not a sprint. If you do choose to buy a MFW or any other curriculum don't feel you need to finish all the lessons. Let your child lead you here. Good luck and have fun!

I don't know anything about MFW but we did use OPGTTR and had GREAT success! I can't say enough good things about that curriculum. My son is now in 3rd grade and is an excellent reader. Have you looked at CLE Math? We started kindergarten with Horizons and switched this year to CLE, I wish I knew about it way back when.

Do not go to conventions!

Do not read threads about curriculum on this forum!

Well, there is one particular curriculum that will be just perfect for you......:D

But you never know ahead of time which one it is and it probably will only work for one of your children and none of the others........sorry.

Hey, the best part of homeschooling is curriculum shopping, right? After all, you can never have too much curriculum!

I will just echo what others said and from "what I wish I knew back in the day"...

The 3 Rs are foundational to all other learning. Ease into those with readiness, find your groove and keep it enjoyable. Lots of read alouds and discovery, outdoor, hands-on time.

Everything else is gravy at this point.

Enjoy the journey. It can be quite a ride!

We used (and still use) OPG for phonics instruction, other readers for practice, and keep the math separate. ALSO, we move on separate tracks for reading and writing. All three girls have learned to read light years ahead of learning to write, and I would have pulled out my hair to try and synchronize a writing-heavy curriculum with young reading students. Good luck!

I completely understand how you feel. I just started teaching K two weeks ago. When I went to my first convention (in March) it was a little overwhelming. There are just SO MANY great curricula out there. That is good news though. 20 years ago, there weren't many choices. Now we can pick and choose what works best for us.

Congrats on not buying curricula at the conference. I fell into that trap. :lol:

We are doing the things in my siggy. I was going to get a boxed curricula, but am just too much of a rebel for that! It would be nice to have everything planned out though. I do spend about 30 minutes on Sunday and 10 minutes every night planning. I use HST+ which makes it easy.

The biggest thing to remember is that it is great to hear everyone's opinions, but this is YOUR child. You should do what feels right to you. I love getting opinions on curricula, but ultimately you need to find something that works for you and your DC. And it might be different for each DC.

Also, don't worry too much about K. I thought that I way overpurchased and the main part of K only takes about 45 minutes. We do science, history, music and art when we have time.

Just relax and enjoy the ride! It is so great to start off in K because you have room to just :chillpill: a little. You wouldn't be able to do that in a higher grade. Get your groove. Find out what works for you and welcome to this wonderful homeschool journey. You are going to love it!

I think we can all relate to where you are. There is good news and bad news. The good news is next year at the convention you will not be as overwhelmed. The bad news is deciding on curriculum is equally as challanging each year. Have you looked into Explode the Code? There are so many options out there. My main focus for K was math and reading but many times I felt that I needed to do more and the open and go with box curriculum would have meant I accomplished a lot more. Let us know what you decide.