Menu

Disneyland at Christmas?

When we lived in CA and had season passes, Christmas was one of our favorite times to go. I think the only thing to consider is the schools will be on break during that time depending on when you are actually there. But you could probably call or maybe its on the website and see when they have all their Christmas decorations up. Its actually really beautiful! And not too hot!! Which is a big deal to us. :001_smile:

I prefer the first half of December because that's the least crowded time of year and I still get to see the pretty decorations. :)

:iagree:

If you can get there on a weekday (Especially mid-week - Tuesday through Thursday) when most public schools are still in session, it should be great.

Oh, I *love* Disneyland at Christmas!!:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Ok, technically, we don't go on Christmas Day. We tend to go within the first couple of weeks of December, when schools are still in session. Christmas decorations are up Thanksgiving weekend, so any time after that is great.

We went Dec 19-24 one year and it was really crowded. It was also too cold to really enjoy the pools.

We had the best time when we went in Nov before Thanksgiving. They had already started to decorate for Christmas (they get all the displays up by Thanksgiving) which was neat and the park was empty (plus the weather was perfect).

The week before and after Christmas are really busy-REALLY! I would never go then.

We went the first week of Dec so we could still enjoy the decorations and parade and that was great. Not too crowded and we could actually enjoy it without being squished, pushed, and stand in line forever.

Here is an interesting chart of attendance:

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/atend.htm

This shows the Christmas holiday is THE BUSIEST time of year-yikes.

I'd avoid the week before and after, but we've done Disneyworld in early December a couple of times now and I love, love, love it! It's *so* much fun to be there when everything is decorated for the holidays, they're playing that awful 20th century secular Christmas music (okay, lol, I really do hate that, but at Disney it's almost charming), there's special food... Really, really fun. :)

GO go go!!! We did it and had an absolutely fabulous time. We stayed at the Gaylord which made it even better. They had great kid activities and was so lovely. It was busy but Disney knows how to handle crowds. We all want to do it again..and we had three generations of people with us.

Don't go!!!! It is a nightmare of epic proportions! We went this past Christmas - the Tuesday and Wednesday beween Christmas and New Years. They actually closed the doors of the park at 10:00am that morning because they were so full. It made the news. OK, the decorations are nice and Small World was pretty cool, but still.... Tuesday was so awful. I just remember fighting my way down Main Street with one hand on one child, one hand on the other, trying to navigate where to go and not lose DH who had the other kid. I couldn't enjoy anything because I couldn't see anything because of all the people. We waited in enormous lines (probably 2-3 hours for Small World, though I suppose if you use those fast pass thingies it could save you some time). It was horrible. The only thing that saved the trip was that it rained on Wednesday (our second day). We were anticipating this and brought ponchos. Nobody was there. SOme of the rides we went on, had fun and just got in line again after and got right back on. And since a lot of the rides were inside we didn't get too wet. And then it stopped raining around noon, but there was still very few people there. We waited for 5 minutes for Small World that day.

The week before and after Christmas are really busy-REALLY! I would never go then.

We went the first week of Dec so we could still enjoy the decorations and parade and that was great. Not too crowded and we could actually enjoy it without being squished, pushed, and stand in line forever.

Here is an interesting chart of attendance:

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/atend.htm

This shows the Christmas holiday is THE BUSIEST time of year-yikes.

That chart is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

It reflects exactly my experience and my advice is go during the first two weeks of December. You get the decorations and atmosphere, but not the crowds.

As a side note, we've gone in September for the homeschooling days/conference and it is AWESOME! In the park with lots of homeschoolers and walking right onto to most rides.

Don't go!!!! It is a nightmare of epic proportions! We went this past Christmas - the Tuesday and Wednesday beween Christmas and New Years. They actually closed the doors of the park at 10:00am that morning because they were so full. It made the news. OK, the decorations are nice and Small World was pretty cool, but still.... Tuesday was so awful. I just remember fighting my way down Main Street with one hand on one child, one hand on the other, trying to navigate where to go and not lose DH who had the other kid. I couldn't enjoy anything because I couldn't see anything because of all the people. We waited in enormous lines (probably 2-3 hours for Small World, though I suppose if you use those fast pass thingies it could save you some time). It was horrible. The only thing that saved the trip was that it rained on Wednesday (our second day). We were anticipating this and brought ponchos. Nobody was there. SOme of the rides we went on, had fun and just got in line again after and got right back on. And since a lot of the rides were inside we didn't get too wet. And then it stopped raining around noon, but there was still very few people there. We waited for 5 minutes for Small World that day.

My parents were there for Christmas too and were there on the so busy they shut the gates day. Craziness! In all our years of going to Disney, I never remember them having to turn people away. One bonus though was that since Disneyland was so full, they got to go to CA Adventure even though they didn't have a park hopper.

We went Dec 19-24 one year and it was really crowded. It was also too cold to really enjoy the pools.

We had the best time when we went in Nov before Thanksgiving. They had already started to decorate for Christmas (they get all the displays up by Thanksgiving) which was neat and the park was empty (plus the weather was perfect).

This is when we've gone the last two years. We absolutely loved it!

We went one year right after New Year's Day and it was very empty! Most of the rides we didn't even wait in line at all...the most we waited for anything was about 15 minutes. Some of the rides we walked off of and then right back onto for a second go around. It was great and we've vowed that when we go again we will go at the same time. Oh, we also got a really good deal at the resort during that time too.

We haven't been to Disneyland but we did WDW this past Christmas. Also, I think it's important to clarify Christmas Season and Christmas. Obviously, one will be much more crowded than the other. We were there 12/21-1/02. It was busy. But it was GREAT! I think I had built up the idea of how busy it would be in my head to be soooo unreal when the reality was very tolerable. I did not feel crowded walking through the parks and it was probably our best trip to the parks yet. To my parents dismay. We will absolutely do it again! Completely magical!

J

My hubby took our kids the day after Christmas when we moved out here (hey, we were new and didn't know any better!) They were there from opening until closing (14 hours, I believe) and went on SIX rides. The shortest lines were 90 minutes. The longest well over 2 hours.

I wouldn't do it :-)

We did Disneyland several years 1-2 weeks before Christmas. We've also done it in the summer and fall and in Feb. on Homeschool Day @ Disneyland.

Christmas is our favorite time of year to go. The crowds are smaller, it's decorated with Christmas lights, and the weather is gorgeous.