Menu

Mac users- do you plan to upgrade to Lion?

I have a wait and see approach to this. I will wait to see how it is working for others before I make the decision.

It has some features that are really nice, but may not be necessary for everyone. It could well be the first step toward eventually having computers that have low hard drive storage that depend on the cloud, which would have drawbacks and advantages. But that is out of our control anyway.

Features that would be nice for people who have more than one Mac device, such as a computer and an iPhone or iPad, include the storage of iTunes purchases on the cloud which would then be available on all your Mac devices without using up the hard drive space on those devices. But if you are a person who has ripped your cd collection or concerted dvd movies to iTunes you would need to pay about $25 per year (initial price) to store that music and movies on the cloud. Worth it? Maybe, if the storage space you are allotted on the cloud is big enough and you don't have to buy more. We have to wait to see how this plays out in real life.

It would be very nice to have documents, music, etc. stored on the cloud so if you get a new computer or you have to restore your computer due to problems it would be easy to restore because most could be stored on the cloud.

One potential drawback could be your internet provider (and any maximum internet use you are allowed monthly) and your data plan for your iPhone or iPad. If you are limited in your internet or data plan, how will this affect your usage? Will the constant uploading and downloading put you over your allotted amount and make you incur additional charges or force you to change to a higher data allotment at a higher cost? This will certainly affect internet usage if your documents and music are stored on the cloud and you need internet to access it. So will the convenience be worth the potential increased cost? It would depend on how much you use it and the limits on your home internet allotment and the limits on your data plan. Again, I will be waiting to see how this all plays out in real life before deciding. It could mean that some people end up paying more money in order to use the features, while others won't pay more at all. It is all dependent on how you use your devices and the terms of your internet and data plans. It is too many variables to predict.

The price is low, which indicates to me that Apple wants everyone to upgrade.

Lion appears to be creating a situation where it and iOS5 (for iPhones, iPads and such) are beginning to look and work (from a user perspective) very similar.

I think that the "Cloud" service will be optional-you can turn it off on your devices. Also the operating systems are becoming more tied to track pads than mice so if I were betting I'd say Apple will soon be selling all iMacs with track pads not mice.

I'm excited about many of the new features, the price is more than appropriate and includes all the computers you have tied to your iTunes account. That said--I'll probably wait for a few reviews and actual use to hear where the bugs are before I leap out and buy it.

To get more details read here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

Curious what they have planned for iOS5 for your iPhone/iPad/iPod?

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

I have a wait and see approach to this. I will wait to see how it is working for others before I make the decision.

It has some features that are really nice, but may not be necessary for everyone. It could well be the first step toward eventually having computers that have low hard drive storage that depend on the cloud, which would have drawbacks and advantages. But that is out of our control anyway.

Features that would be nice for people who have more than one Mac device, such as a computer and an iPhone or iPad, include the storage of iTunes purchases on the cloud which would then be available on all your Mac devices without using up the hard drive space on those devices. But if you are a person who has ripped your cd collection or concerted dvd movies to iTunes you would need to pay about $25 per year (initial price) to store that music and movies on the cloud. Worth it? Maybe, if the storage space you are allotted on the cloud is big enough and you don't have to buy more. We have to wait to see how this plays out in real life.

It would be very nice to have documents, music, etc. stored on the cloud so if you get a new computer or you have to restore your computer due to problems it would be easy to restore because most could be stored on the cloud.

One potential drawback could be your internet provider (and any maximum internet use you are allowed monthly) and your data plan for your iPhone or iPad. If you are limited in your internet or data plan, how will this affect your usage? Will the constant uploading and downloading put you over your allotted amount and make you incur additional charges or force you to change to a higher data allotment at a higher cost? This will certainly affect internet usage if your documents and music are stored on the cloud and you need internet to access it. So will the convenience be worth the potential increased cost? It would depend on how much you use it and the limits on your home internet allotment and the limits on your data plan. Again, I will be waiting to see how this all plays out in real life before deciding. It could mean that some people end up paying more money in order to use the features, while others won't pay more at all. It is all dependent on how you use your devices and the terms of your internet and data plans. It is too many variables to predict.

The price is low, which indicates to me that Apple wants everyone to upgrade.

Cloud? Talk to me like I'm 5. Actually, a 5 year old probably already knows all this.:lol:

But seriously, I still don't get *why* we want to update. Clearly I need to go read more. The cloud thing doesn't interest me. Does anything else change that people not using the cloud service will care about??

I'm curious the automatic saving and potential for the Versions feature, the new multi-touch gestures and I'd like to see the new versions of iCal, Mail and Safari.

But-I want to hear some user reports first.

I suspect that as App developers improve their apps to use the new features then folks will get more curious.

I will definitely be upgrading our Macs. Not necessarily because of Lion's new features, but because you never know what their following operating system will offer... Paying $29 to upgrade now is much better than paying $130 later when you skipped a version.

I gathered from the email Apple sent that iCloud is replacing MobileMe (basically the same thing); we get to keep our Me email address; and it will be free (as opposed to the $99/year that MobileMe now costs).

I'm a Mac junkie! Haha! I was following the blogs while the conference was going on since Apple didn't allow live broadcast this year. :( iCloud is going to be amazing...especially for all those that have iPads, iPhones and iTouch's. Every time you download anything whether it be a song from iTunes, an app from the App Store, or a book from iBooks it will automatically be uploaded to the cloud and instantly sync to all your other devices on that particular account. There will be no more syncing to iTunes for your devices for iPhones or iPads. There is a new thing called photo stream that will upload all your photos to the cloud and to your other devices as well as your Mac with Lion. Lion will only be $29.95 and will be a 4 GB download from Apple. There are so many new features that it would take forever to type out (especially now on my iPad). But it's totally worth $29.95. Basically everything, all your devices, and all your files (calendars, reminders, songs, photos, apps, documents, movies, books, etc.) will all sync together. You will get 5 GB of space on the Cloud which should be plenty with the option to pay for more. After 2012, MobileMe will be gone. I dont think Apple is even taking anymore sign ups at this point.

Yes, we will definitely upgrade. Lion is a move toward a more IOS-like operating system. I am so excited that documents will be synced automatically between all devices. Now I can open and edit documents on my iPad, iPhone or computer no matter which device they were created on. Yay!

Does this make no one nervous? I guess that's what I can't get over. I like the idea of being able to sync stuff easily. But to have my own storage and privacy undermined, that I can't get over. What if we don't WANT our files and photos out in Apple's cloud?? Is it going to be all or nothing? What if some hacker from some other country or wherever breaks into apple's cloud? If they broke into amazon's system, can't they break into apple's?

And as a separate question, how will wifi only products like the itouch update? Will they just know to sync with the cloud when they have access to wi-fi? Or is the sync only via 3G?

Does this make no one nervous? I guess that's what I can't get over. I like the idea of being able to sync stuff easily. But to have my own storage and privacy undermined, that I can't get over. What if we don't WANT our files and photos out in Apple's cloud?? Is it going to be all or nothing? What if some hacker from some other country or wherever breaks into apple's cloud? If they broke into amazon's system, can't they break into apple's?

And as a separate question, how will wifi only products like the itouch update? Will they just know to sync with the cloud when they have access to wi-fi? Or is the sync only via 3G?

You can turn off the iCloud on any device you like. The syncing is only done via Wi-Fi.

I am super excited about Lion and all the other new stuff! Though I do wonder how it will work re phones and data usage. If it syncs only on wifi, that'd be pretty cool - or if there's an option to decide how it syncs. There probably will be, I would think.

The cloud stuff does sound pretty amazing.

I do love technology.

However, it does concern me that we are becoming too dependent on it. Knock out a few satellites and I think that could be the end of so called civilisation on earth. Everything would just fall apart in days and weeks.

I should add to the iCloud discussion that there is supposed to be some sort of refund process for those who have MobileMe accounts that are ending before their normal renewal time. Sounds like you need to hunt down the info yourself and request the refund-it won't happen automatically.

If I knew how to do this I'd share but the above is all I've heard. Perhaps its just a rumor...

You can turn off the iCloud on any device you like. The syncing is only done via Wi-Fi.

You can turn the feature on and off.

I don't know how long things remain in the the cloud if you don't choose that as a save to location. Photos remain for 30 days and songs are mostly mirrored rather than stored. I'm not sure that a calendar item, new contact or document stays in the cloud after it has been pushed to other devices. I wonder if you can access your corner of the the cloud and delete items.

Still waiting to see...

We will update to Lion...by buying a brand new iMac! We've been waiting since last November when it first became apparent that our old, trusty Mac needed replacing. But I have a feeling that dh will wait another month or two...just to make sure there are no weird problems with Lion.

Yes, I am still using Appleworks (cwk). HeeHee!

Exciting!

Jetta

We will definitely be upgrading. $29.99 to upgrade our 5 macs? Awesome.

The features look great and the keynote address is available to watch from the apple site or through iTunes for free now. It was a long one this time, but covered Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud.

If you have updated to the latest iOS versions for iPhone and iPad, you can experience one of the features now. I purchased an app yesterday through iTunes on my computer and it was automatically sent to my iPad without having to sync. Love this! You have to turn it on under settings.. App store.

I'm looking forward to the upgrades.. Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud.

My only concern with the keynote was how frail Steve looked. Fortunately, he does seem to have a power team behind him designing all these slick, easy-to-use and useful products.

Val