Menu

has anyone here ever been to a Wegmans?

:svengo::svengo::svengo:

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!! That place is A M A Z I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a grocery store. Honestly, it's a little community all under one roof. Their premade selections area was the size of a super Walmart alone, and there was a PUB with LIVE MUSIC in there! :svengo: The premade area had a salad section with a person making FRESH caesar salads, there was a Chinese section, Japanese, Mexican, Indian, vegetarian, American, Italian, etc. YOu could get just about ANYTHING already made and what we had was absolutely DELICIOUS!!! We were staying at a hotel down the road and after exhausting swim competitions nobody had the energy to go out to a restaurant, so we all went to Wegmans and brought our goodies back to the hotel.

When I first arrived in PA I was EXHAUSTED. I had to sit in bumper to bumper traffic as we passed THREE very bad accidents, one with the car completely on fire, another with a smashed up limo and people outside crying (they appeared to be ok) and another where it didn't look good but the people were gone before we got there. That was bad in and of itself but what REALLY sent me through the roof was getting LOST IN THE BRONX. AGAIN. Will I *ever* get into NY or NJ WITHOUT GETTING LOST IN THE BRONX???!!!

So when I finally arrived I went into Wegmans and decided that I wanted a bottle of Asti Spumanti to help calm the nerves. I saw the wine selection but pulled on the doors - they wouldn't budge. I tried to slide them, nothing. I kept trying to figure out how to open the d@mn doors and realized there was a small crowd behind me trying to figure out what I was doing. I was so tired I didn't care. I pulled and slid and even tried to push on the hinges to see if perhaps there was some magic trick to opening the doors. :lol: I then noticed what looked like an ATM beside the "refrigerated" wine selection and went to have a look. I then realized this was a touch screen method used to "ORDER" the wine. So I went through the menu, picked out my Asti (which is $5 cheaper per bottle in NH!) and then put in my license so they could scan it to see if I was old enough to buy the alcohol. GUESS WHAT THE NEXT STEP WAS??!!! I HAD TO TAKE A BREATHALIZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that? So I blew into the hole in the machine and waited as it calculated my results, then swiped my credit card, and only THEN did the light above the door my wine was in start to flash. I opened the door, grabbed my Asti, then swore out loud (with the crowd behind me) because after all of this work the d&mn champagne wasn't even COLD!!!!!

That store even sold outdoor furniture in it! NICE furniture no less!!! Their produce and cheese section was again the size of a Super Walmart.

WHAT AN AMAZING STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't give up country living for anything, really, but just MAYBE I'd consider it if I could move by a Wegmans!!!!!

:001_smile:

I grew up here in the land of Wegmans, and didn't ever think much of it until friends started moving out of state, saying how much they miss Wegmans! I love the fact that even the ones in not so nice parts of town are super clean and friendly. Wegmans is the only grocery store we will buy produce from. As miserable as Central New York is, at least we have great grocery stores:tongue_smilie:

I grew up here in the land of Wegmans, and didn't ever think much of it until friends started moving out of state, saying how much they miss Wegmans! I love the fact that even the ones in not so nice parts of town are super clean and friendly. Wegmans is the only grocery store we will buy produce from. As miserable as Central New York is, at least we have great grocery stores:tongue_smilie:

the one I went to was in PA. TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::drool5::drool5::drool5: Maybe it's better I'm not around all those tempting treats!!!!!

We don't have a wine thing like that, lol! But we gave a seafood bar that is great!! It's like a little restaurant in a grocery store :-)

apparently they're going to be removing that machine. I *SOOOOOOOOOOO* wanted to go back to buy another bottle if I could fail the breathalizer test. I wondered what would happen.:lol::lol::lol:Alarms and flashing lights?

I live in Wegman's Land, in western NY. It is a great store. We love it and I shop there daily.

As much as I love Wegman's, I must say there are other grocery stores in other parts of the country that are very good also. Whole Foods and other natural food stores are very good (although very pricey) and are found in most major markets. Whole Foods hasn't had the nerve to come here to western NY to try to compete against Wegman's though.

Anyway, Wegman's is a great store. Has everything you'd want and at reasonable prices. Good produce. Always rated among the top employers for employees to work for.

There's one in the far north suburbs of Baltimore, and we go maybe once a month to stock up. The quality and variety in the meat section is particularly great, although expensive. I love the huge range of produce. My children love the electric train that runs on a track above our heads in the dairy section.

We don't have a breathalyzer in ours. That's hilarious. :lol:

We don't have a wine thing like that, lol! But we gave a seafood bar that is great!! It's like a little restaurant in a grocery store :-)

every section in that store was like a restaurant/store in and of itself. I can't BELIEVE all they had to offer!

Wegmans is about the only thing I miss about New York State. But I miss it oh-so much! I whine about the grocery shopping options here regularly. Like when I make four different stops around a ten-mile area to accomplish what used to be done at one Wegmans. *sigh*

I can believe it! Everyone on the swim team kept RAVING about Wegmans!!!

I live in Wegman's Land, in western NY. It is a great store. We love it and I shop there daily.

As much as I love Wegman's, I must say there are other grocery stores in other parts of the country that are very good also. Whole Foods and other natural food stores are very good (although very pricey) and are found in most major markets. Whole Foods hasn't had the nerve to come here to western NY to try to compete against Wegman's though.

Anyway, Wegman's is a great store. Has everything you'd want and at reasonable prices. Good produce. Always rated among the top employers for employees to work for.

Well, we have a Whole Foods coming this year, so I guess I'll be happy about that. I'd still prefer Wegmans. I didn't even see......... do they have organic produce? I brought all my own fruits and veggies for snacking.

There's one in the far north suburbs of Baltimore, and we go maybe once a month to stock up. The quality and variety in the meat section is particularly great, although expensive. I love the huge range of produce. My children love the electric train that runs on a track above our heads in the dairy section.

We don't have a breathalyzer in ours. That's hilarious. :lol:

Dd was fascinated with the entire store but we were shocked to see the train running above our heads!!!:lol:

I was absolutely STUNNED when I had to take the breathalizer test (yzer?) to get a bottle of wine/champagne. REALLY??!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I love living in central NY, so we'll never move anyway, but if we ever did, my rule is that we must be near a Wegmans. Howerver, I have never heard anyone rave about it quite like Denise! Ours don't sell anything other than beer because of state liquor laws, but that would be so handy. Not that I don't have 10 liquor stores within 5 minutes or anything, but STILL!

I'll be the lone dissenter and say that Wegman's is alright, but it's not anything to write home about. It could just be that the two Wegman's close to me aren't the greatest (I'm all ears for a killer Wegman's in the greater Buffalo area). I would much rather have a TJ's or a Whole Foods. And I really miss Hy-Vee (regional grocery in Mid-West).

I'll be the lone dissenter and say that Wegman's is alright, but it's not anything to write home about. It could just be that the two Wegman's close to me aren't the greatest (I'm all ears for a killer Wegman's in the greater Buffalo area). I would much rather have a TJ's or a Whole Foods. And I really miss Hy-Vee (regional grocery in Mid-West).

there MUST be differences in the stores. I can't imagine anyone not being crazy about the Wegmans I visited in PA!!!

I used to live down the road from Wegmans', and love it, except for the parking lot, which had the strongest winds around.

Breathalizer alcohol dispenser is due to PA liquor control laws. Wegman's has been pushing the laws for years, and was the first grocery store to get approval to sell beer and wine and such because they have a "cafe." Not all the stores had approval, though I think they are increasing. Now, I thought the dispensers were coolers, but I never used one, so I don't know. You'd think since they were in a cooler, they'd be cooled. Yet, I don't like red wine chilled, nor all spirits.

But yes, the breathalizer alcohol beverage dispensers were deemed not an effective measure, and are being removed.

Where in PA was that? I live in NW PA ( Erie County) and we don't have breathalizers. LOL

We also live close to Lakewood NY as well. So we have one on both sides of where we live. We do have to travel a bit to get there but we always have Wegmans.

We've traveled other places and my husband ( who is a Wegman's addict by the way) misses Wegmans every time we're out of state.

There is no other grocery store like them. The food is great, we've never gotten anything bad there, and the prices are very good too. Lot less than places like Giant Eagle and such. At least here in Erie and Lakewood the prices are actually cheaper and you get better quality food. We haven't shopped anywhere else since Wegmans came to town nor will we ever really.

Oh heck even Alec Baldwin was on David Letterman and talked about Wegmans .LOL His mom won't even leave upstate NY to move to California because she loves Wegmans. LOL

You just have not lived life until you've been to a Wegman's grocery store :>)

Edited by TracyR

Wegmans is the first grocery store in PA that sells alcohol of any type. You can go to the other grocery stores in PA and you won't find alcohol. Our Wegmans never had the breathalizer thing. They do ask for photo ID though.

My dh works for Wegmans. The newer stores in PA, VA, MD are much, much, much different that the (older) Buffalo, Syracuse and most of Rochester stores. Same goes for Erie, PA.

I was in the Harrisburg PA store about six months after it opened and even I said "WOW!"

Denise, if Boston isn't too much of a drive for you, Wegmans is opening a store in Northborough, MA in October.

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!! That place is A M A Z I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT AN AMAZING STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't give up country living for anything, really, but just MAYBE I'd consider it if I could move by a Wegmans!!!!!

During the boom they built one 20 minutes away, near our primary doc, dentist, orthodontist, and Target/Lowe's. We're still surprised that they put it there because it is not a high density area. It is not the closest grocery store to me, but certainly on the way to/from certain errands. We got a snack there Monday on the way home from the dentist :auto:.

Wegman's is our main shopping stop. There is a smaller grocery where I buy coldcuts. We rarely go to Tops, only if there is a great sale.

I feel badly for the PP who said there is no parking. It is rarely like that here...on the busiest shopping days, you have to park farther away but you can get a spot.

I am happy to say that Wegmans started here where I live. They are all over the place but not nearly as big as the ones that are more South of here in other states. Wegmans really is the cream of the crop for grocery stores. I haven't been in any that even come close. We are so used to them though that they are no big deal. I have to say though that I don't really care for many of their store brand items. Some of them are down right awful! But, I wouldn't trade this top of the line, hip, quality grocery store for anything!

My inlaws live in PA. I've been hearing about Wegman's every.time. my MIL came to visit. She would bring little recipe books for me from..... Wegmans.

We spent a week with them here recently on our cross country trip. The first afternoon there she wanted to take us to ...Wegmans.

Every morning she took the dc to...Wegmans....

Saturday she wanted to take us to......Wegmans.....for the samples.

She was absolutely convinced that I could find the Etoufee mix I wanted at.... Wegmans ... and was deeply, personally hurt when she discovered they don't carry it.......

ANY facebook status regarding food is met with a comment about ..... Wegmans.....

SO, while, yes, it's pretty good for a grocery store, I'm OK if I don't every go back to ..... Wegmans. ;)

My inlaws live in PA. I've been hearing about Wegman's every.time. my MIL came to visit. She would bring little recipe books for me from..... Wegmans.

We spent a week with them here recently on our cross country trip. The first afternoon there she wanted to take us to ...Wegmans.

Every morning she took the dc to...Wegmans....

Saturday she wanted to take us to......Wegmans.....for the samples.

She was absolutely convinced that I could find the Etoufee mix I wanted at.... Wegmans ... and was deeply, personally hurt when she discovered they don't carry it.......

ANY facebook status regarding food is met with a comment about ..... Wegmans.....

SO, while, yes, it's pretty good for a grocery store, I'm OK if I don't every go back to ..... Wegmans. ;)

:lol: This is really funny!

However, I have a SIL (from the mid-West) who has to go to Wegman's every time she comes here or it is not a good trip for her!

:lol:

I shop there regularly but like King's better for meat and fish. I think King's is specific to NJ, though. I have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, but like Wegman's and King's better for quality selection, but, then, I don't much care about organic vs. non-organic.

I grew up within a 20 minute drive of 4 Wegmans. Maybe there was a fifth around somewhere too? I can't seem to leave a Wegmans in that area without running into a dozen people I knew in high school.

They do a lot of things that I like. One of my favorite things when I was living back in my hometown was their online price listing. If I wanted to see whether or not a sale at Price Chopper was a good deal, I could compare it to the Wegmans price before I left the house.

The Wegman's here just opened on Sunday morning and I took the kids this morning. I was shocked that the parking lot was nearly full at 9am on a Wednesday morning. It was amazing, though. I never thought I would be so excited about a grocery store, but it really is incredible. We bought several of their Wegman's brand items (lemonade, yogurt raisins, soda, and a few others I can't remember at the moment). Everything we have tried so far has been better than the name brand equivalent items we normally buy. I am impressed and will definitely be a regular there.

Where in PA was that? I live in NW PA ( Erie County) and we don't have breathalizers. LOL

We also live close to Lakewood NY as well. So we have one on both sides of where we live. We do have to travel a bit to get there but we always have Wegmans.

We've traveled other places and my husband ( who is a Wegman's addict by the way) misses Wegmans every time we're out of state.

There is no other grocery store like them. The food is great, we've never gotten anything bad there, and the prices are very good too. Lot less than places like Giant Eagle and such. At least here in Erie and Lakewood the prices are actually cheaper and you get better quality food. We haven't shopped anywhere else since Wegmans came to town nor will we ever really.

Oh heck even Alec Baldwin was on David Letterman and talked about Wegmans .LOL His mom won't even leave upstate NY to move to California because she loves Wegmans. LOL

You just have not lived life until you've been to a Wegman's grocery store :>)

It was in Collegeville PA, just down the street from the Courtyard Marriott. :tongue_smilie: In a new mall that looked like Disneyworld. And a HUGE mall.

Dd and I were SO sad that Charming Charlies was closed, but it was a TOTAL blessing to the checkbook and Visa.;):lol: We could have done some SERIOUS damage in that girlie store!

Wegmans is the first grocery store in PA that sells alcohol of any type. You can go to the other grocery stores in PA and you won't find alcohol. Our Wegmans never had the breathalizer thing. They do ask for photo ID though.

so did the machine. I had to scan in my license.:lol: Then I had to take the breathalyzer.

My dh works for Wegmans. The newer stores in PA, VA, MD are much, much, much different that the (older) Buffalo, Syracuse and most of Rochester stores. Same goes for Erie, PA.

I was in the Harrisburg PA store about six months after it opened and even I said "WOW!"

Denise, if Boston isn't too much of a drive for you, Wegmans is opening a store in Northborough, MA in October.

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!!:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1: What a day trip that will be!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's like the one we visited!!!:svengo:

I'm not sure if you've heard, but Whole Foods has been bought out by Monsanto....

I read the title on a thread here but didn't read the thread. :sad:

WHO CARES? I have a WEGMANS coming 65 miles away!!!!! I'll hit that when I go to Trader Joes. I'll shop once per month and fill in with produce when needed.:party::party::party::party::party:

Fun, but amazingly $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I just hope when I watch you checkout your fancy $$ food, you aren't scrimping on good curric for your kid. Don't choose Ceasar Salad or a nice Port over violin lessons. I am going to check your cart.

j/k :lol:

you need a breathalyzer.

:lol::lol::lol:

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!!:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1: What a day trip that will be!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's like the one we visited!!!:svengo:

Yes, m'am, totally serious!

So glad I could me your day.

It most likely be at least as fab as the PA store you visited, and if MA laws allow wine sales in grocery stores, it will certainly sell wine.

Maybe you can go campout the night before for the grand opening on October 16!