Menu

Printable daily planner/checklist for kids?

simka2

HomeschoolSkedTrak (free) and HomeSchoolTracker (free or paid) can both do this. Just google them

The first program is nice b/c it resides on the Internet and you can access it from any device with Internet access. The down side is if you want to update something not on paper you must have Internet access.

The second program is nice because once you download it you don't have to have Internet access to use it-- but you better make backups-- one hard drive crash and your data is toast, because it doesn't share across devices easily. It also has a steep learning curve, but that is because it has a lot of features.

I believe both ( I know the first can) can up and download stuff in csv format from Excel, making data entry much easier.

Hope that helps!

Jen

http://Http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

I use HST+ to do just what you are asking about. It does take a bit to figure out how to do it (helps a lot if you watch the videos), but once you do you can print out a daily or a weekly schedule with check boxes. I do this for DD and DS and put them in a binder to check off as they complete their work.

Rather than putting time into learning how to use a program I've been just making my own on Word for the past two years. Make a table, can easily add and delete new columns. Each week I just pull up the previous week's table, update the new assignments and save under the new date.

It's cheap and effective. :)

Guest Miska5298

I use the one on homeschoolclassifieds.com. Under "Academic Planner" tab. I use the weekly one to make a list of all subjects, print it out, then I pencil in weekly the exact assignment for each day. My son loves to know exactly what he has to do each day and then when he finishes that assignment he highlights it. It's simple enough.

I make a reusable one....I cut a piece of card stock into 6 pieces and label 5 of them Monday through Friday. Each day has a list of what we do on those days and a box next to each subject to check as they are completed. I laminate the cards and punch a hole at the top left corner and keep them on a key ring. The kids use wipe off markers to check the list off and at the end of the week I clean them off with a wet cloth.

I make a reusable one....I cut a piece of card stock into 6 pieces and label 5 of them Monday through Friday. Each day has a list of what we do on those days and a box next to each subject to check as they are completed. I laminate the cards and punch a hole at the top left corner and keep them on a key ring. The kids use wipe off markers to check the list off and at the end of the week I clean them off with a wet cloth.

That is so smart. I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea.:001_smile:

I use this one that I created in excel. It has 3 weeks on one page. My dd just colors the box when it is finished. On the left is the dates for our whole year. On top is all her subjects. If we miss a day then I just insert a cell & it pushes it to the next day.

Here is a screen shot of it on my mac. Lets hope I did it right. Teehee!

Sorry I don't know how to make it bigger, so you get the full picture.

post-380-13535084960748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rhonda in WA

I use this one that I created in excel. It has 3 weeks on one page. My dd just colors the box when it is finished. On the left is the dates for our whole year. On top is all her subjects. If we miss a day then I just insert a cell & it pushes it to the next day.

Here is a screen shot of it on my mac. Lets hope I did it right. Teehee!

Sorry I don't know how to make it bigger, so you get the full picture.

Oh my gosh!!! Can you email me a copy of this??????????

Here's a sample week of what I've made using tables in Word- days across the top, subjects down the side. One per child, they keep them on a separate clipboard (not in a notebook- since they have multiple notebooks).

I like the flexibility of being in Word because I often need to tweak it. Works well for us!

assignmt-wkly_S-2011winter3.pdf

assignmt-wkly_S-2011winter3.pdf

Oh my gosh!!! Can you email me a copy of this??????????

I sure can! Just let me know your email address.

I had to email it to my husband for him to turn it into a pdf. Here is a better picture of it. My mac just won't let me save it as a pdf. Not sure why. Ugh!

jordyn-sixth-grade-schedule.pdf

jordyn-sixth-grade-schedule.pdf

Edited by Rhonda in WA

Note: I've snipped this quote to the parts that helped me.

HomeschoolSkedTrak (free) and HomeSchoolTracker (free or paid) can both do this. Just google them

The first program is nice b/c it resides on the Internet and you can access it from any device with Internet access. The down side is if you want to update something not on paper you must have Internet access.

I believe both ( I know the first can) can up and download stuff in csv format from Excel, making data entry much easier.

Jen

http://Http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

THANK YOU, JEN! I've tried Homeschool Tracker but, since I use Ubuntu, it required a whole lot of modifying Wine with packages that may or may not be secure, and then I couldn't even get the sucker to print properly. I had heard Homeschool SkedTrack referred to before, but I always assumed it was a paid site. I tried it out yesterday, thanks to your recommendation, and it is wonderful.

And yes, I can print out "to do" lists for my son, which is what I wanted the most, anyhow. Plus, "rescheduling" is really, really, really easy. It isn't even so much as "rescheduling" as it is: these are the assignments he is to do next, just keep giving the first one(s) to him until I say he's done them. Plus, it makes allowances for putting in whatever got completed in the twenty-minute block of time dedicated to, say, spelling, instead of requiring particular lesson plans ahead of time. Wow!

Of course, I do have a dedicated internet line--not quick, because we live so far out it has to be satellite, but there. That requirement is about the only real downside I could see to using this program, though. The tutorials were thorough and very helpful, too.

So, once again, THANKS, JEN!

Edited by morosophe

I make schedules in Word too. I plan 9 weeks at a time and then print out a copy for me and a copy for the child. Then as they go through their day they can check off what they have done and as I check in on them to make sure they are doing their work, I can also check off what they have done. Here's a link to one quarter's worth of plans.

Each of my boys has an ELAN full year SO8 planner. http://elanpublish.com/StudentBooks/Middle/SO8Sample.pdf

They are only $3.50 each and spiral bound, so open flat.

You can also fold the side so you only have to write the subjects once.

They also have dated calendars if you prefer not to write the date, but we school year round starting our new school year July 1st and their dated ones start August 1st (at least back when I was comparing them).

Where do you buy this? I like it, thank you for sharing.

• 5 weeks later...
I was inspired by this thread to make one for us :D

thanks for the inspiration!

picture.php?albumid=526&pictureid=2185

So pretty! My concern with this is how easy is it to adapt if you miss a day? That's where my problem comes in. I want to plan the whole year so I know how much to do each day and keep an eye on where we are, but I don't want it to crash and burn as soon as I miss a day, or the kids do something unplanned, etc.

I think if you want to plan out a whole year at once, you need to plan in some flex weeks or something. No one is going to have a perfect year where everyone is healthy for the whole time or a friend doesn't come through town or the weather isn't so perfect that you just want to go outside.

The beauty of planning in Word or something similar is how easy it is to cut and paste plans to move them around as necessary. I don't draw up my plans for the whole year, though it would be nice in some ways. At the beginning of planning, I do figure out how much I need to do weekly to finish a book in a year (if that's what I want to do with it). Then I figure out my weekly schedule (like how many days per week I want to do a specific subject -- like do we do history 2 days or 4?) Some things are designed clearly for these things (like WWE), others aren't. Then I plan out 9 weeks at a time. When those 9 weeks are up, I can reassess. Some things we just didn't finish and I cut and paste them from one quarter to the next. Some things it is better just to drop and move ahead in.

Sometimes in the midst of a quarter, I might feel like we're behind, but at the end of the quarter, with a quick magic cut'n'paste, we're suddenly all caught up. It's very nice.

Here is one I made a couple years ago. It's a half sheet size and the box can be used to simply check off the subject or record time spent:

http://www.teachingmom.com/helps/dailyplanner.pdf

Here is another more detailed one (CC and maybe for younger grades): http://www.teachingmom.com/helps/hskidsplanner.pdf

How would you add in subjects like Typing and Vocabulary?

In the To Do list area perhaps? We don't do typing or vocab daily--and I put vocab under the English section anyhow.

The first one is for my older kids and they don't require extensive notes so there may not be enough space for those who like a lot of detail in their checklists. lol

Or, find something more specific to your needs. :D

? for thoese of you that give your kids a check off list (or something like that).

At what age did you start giving you kids a check off list with assimngments on it to follow 9assume at first they followed it though you had to do most of the direction untill they learned to be more independant)?

? for thoese of you that give your kids a check off list (or something like that).

At what age did you start giving you kids a check off list with assimngments on it to follow 9assume at first they followed it though you had to do most of the direction untill they learned to be more independant)?

When my boys were really young k-2 probably. they had workbook pages for math, so I would rip out the pages they needed to work that I could out of the workbooks. I then paper clipped them together, with colorful index cards on top with Monday, Tues, Wed, etc on them.

on books that I didn't tear out, there was usually a set number of pages to work per day, so 1, 2, 3 pages a day.

I think by 3rd grade I had the teacher plan book to use.

These are links that show how to plan a school term using weekly goals.

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/daily-checklist.html

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/heo-year-7-schedule-that-fits-it-all-in.html

----------

I have a half-sized binder for each child that holds their assignments and book logs. The assignments are written or typed one page per subject (as a list) and dated/highlighted as they are worked on or completed. The children simply work through the binder from tab to tab. The tab division examples are Bible, Math, Memory, English, Etc.

;2804211']Here's a sample week of what I've made using tables in Word- days across the top' date=' subjects down the side. One per child, they keep them on a separate clipboard (not in a notebook- since they have multiple notebooks).

I like the flexibility of being in Word because I often need to tweak it. Works well for us![/quote']

I love this! Are you willing to share a blank copy Word file for others to use? I'd love to have it, it's simple, cute and effective.