Menu

S/O - How do you decide what people are entitled to?

I was all set to write my response to the question of what people are entitled to have, when I realized my why would be complicated and lengthy in explanation. I know the answer for a great number of you will be, "because the Bible says so," and that's fine; please share chapter and verse. But I'm especially curious to see if there's a diversity in the reasoning of us secular or non-Christian religious people. How'd you come to your conclusion about entitlements?

Well, if you see my answer in the other thread, I think its a totally wrong way to think. I look from the perspective as a planetary citizen, and I see we are already given clean water, fresh air and healthy soil, and the knowledge to live well on this incredibly beautiful planet. And we throw it all away- we poison our water and air and soil. We have wars. I come from the perspective that we aren't really entitled to anything- we are given it freely and abundantly by life herself. Its our job to manage our resources - so it's about being intelligent and responsible rather than self centred. Its about being caretakers instead of thinking we own the planet.

I dont think entitlement is a healthy way to think at all. Yet we have everything we need- whether you are in America, Australia, Africa or India. The technology is there. But if we wait for governments to change and take care of us- well, the planet wont be livable for our great grandchildren.

How'd you come to your conclusion about entitlements?

I leave it to the elected officials. This kind of thing is massively complicated, and even if I did have the time to chew over all the stats and consider all the consequences, I have only a very teeny voice, and it would sway no one.

Well, if you see my answer in the other thread, I think its a totally wrong way to think. I look from the perspective as a planetary citizen, and I see we are already given clean water, fresh air and healthy soil, and the knowledge to live well on this incredibly beautiful planet. And we throw it all away- we poison our water and air and soil. We have wars. I come from the perspective that we aren't really entitled to anything- we are given it freely and abundantly by life herself. Its our job to manage our resources - so it's about being intelligent and responsible rather than self centred. Its about being caretakers instead of thinking we own the planet.

I dont think entitlement is a healthy way to think at all. Yet we have everything we need- whether you are in America, Australia, Africa or India. The technology is there. But if we wait for governments to change and take care of us- well, the planet wont be livable for our great grandchildren.

I'm with you on all of this. I don't think we are entitled to anything.

I was all set to write my response to the question of what people are entitled to have, when I realized my why would be complicated and lengthy in explanation. I know the answer for a great number of you will be, "because the Bible says so," and that's fine; please share chapter and verse. But I'm especially curious to see if there's a diversity in the reasoning of us secular or non-Christian religious people. How'd you come to your conclusion about entitlements?

I haven't replied in the other thread- I don't have the energy to get into what will undoubtedly be a long and angry conversation, lol- but I try to think about what I would want my dd to be given were she completely unable to get things for herself for some reason, and things I wouldn't hesitate to give to other children in need if I was in a position to do so. So food, water, health care, education.

IMO (which is just my opinion) if you approach this from a christian/biblical standpoint you go back to Genesis. Maybe you take it literally, maybe you take it figuratively. God created the heavens and earth, he gave you a place to lay your head and something pretty to look at night. He gave you land and water, like Peela said water to drink, soil to raise things to eat. God even made another one like you (if you believe Eve was made from Adam's rib). God didn't want people to be lonely. He gave us the power to pro-create so we could feel love and maybe a sense of awe.

I don't see any of these things as strictly christian rights. I don't see this being an exclusive story to religion either. If we were created to live then we must have air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat, a place to lay our heads at night (it could be the ground, I don't define housing), and someone to share the awesome wonder of the world with. That's what I feel like we're entitled to. We've messed it up along the way though, still I don't think we are entitled to more.

This is kind of interesting. I am on the side of no entitlements and I am a conservative Christian. The way I understand the bible is that as a Christian we are called to help those in need. That is very different from the government forcing us to give the government money so that they can give it to whoever they want to.