Menu

Stricter Homeschool Laws in NJ?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/after_irvington_suspected_negl.html

I've been off for a few days, so if this has been talked about already, I apologize.

I'm just a little annoyed. I'm not against checking in with the school district, and I wouldn't even be opposed to filling out a senseless attendance report or even sending them a description of our curriculum.

What I would be against, however, is the mandatory physicals? Why is that necessary? As a public schooled kid I never had to have one for school (I had one for sports, yes, but so do homeschooled kids when they are on the sports teams).

And the mandatory testing. I'm a firm believer that standardized tests don't prove much. Which is pretty much why I wanted to homeschool to begin with. I wanted my son to be taught a real education and NOT be taught to pass a test.

Grumble grumble. :glare:

One of the reasons I want to go back to NJ is for the independence. I wouldn't object to notifying someone of my kids' presence, but I see no valid reason for anything beyond.

( DYFS was well aware of those kids' presence in Irvington, and where did that get them?)

Oh my word. If they're concerned about kids being invisible, they'd better start registering them and doing mandatory physicals starting at birth. Babies and toddlers are at least as at risk for violence in the home as school-aged children are, and they're completely invisible for five years!

:banghead:

I don't think anything is going to happen with it. Not to sound like I'm sticking my head in the sand but it sounds like it's just this one idiot woman thinking it would be no biggie to impose regulations. Right off the bat she's shocked at the backlash. Clearly, she has no idea who she's messing with. I think it's been made clear to her that she need not take messing with homeschoolers lightly.

Aside from that, the idea that "they" need to know who and where our kids are annoys me to no end. They are a flipping SCHOOL DISTRICT for heaven's sake. Isn't their job to teach the kids in their classrooms? Big brother needs to stay inside his own jurisdiction. You *don't* need to know about my kids physical health, you *don't* need to know where they are at academically anymore than you need to know about private school kids.

Oh my word. If they're concerned about kids being invisible, they'd better start registering them and doing mandatory physicals starting at birth. Babies and toddlers are at least as at risk for violence in the home as school-aged children are, and they're completely invisible for five years!

:banghead:

:iagree: You don't have to read much of what these people say before it becomes very clear that they don't teach logic anymore. lol!

I'm just a little annoyed. I'm not against checking in with the school district, and I wouldn't even be opposed to filling out a senseless attendance report or even sending them a description of our curriculum.

I'd be opposed even to that much oversight. The most I could bring myself to do is send in a one-time notice of intent. The rest, the state doesn't need to know. :glare:

I don't think anything is going to happen with it. Not to sound like I'm sticking my head in the sand but it sounds like it's just this one idiot woman thinking it would be no biggie to impose regulations. Right off the bat she's shocked at the backlash. Clearly, she has no idea who she's messing with. I think it's been made clear to her that she need not take messing with homeschoolers lightly.

Actually, she does, unfortunately. Weinberg has led the charge for greater regulation for HSers at least twice before (possibly three times, I can't recall). She's backed down each time, but given NJ's bent toward regulation, I fear that one of these times, she's going to gather enough support to push ahead. On the upside, NJ is so broke right now that introducing any new initiative and finding the resources to fight for and implement it will be difficult, so that may save us!

On the upside, NJ is so broke right now that introducing any new initiative and finding the resources to fight for and implement it will be difficult, so that may save us!

This is basically why I'm not worried about it. They are having so many problems with the school districts already, they don't have the resources to 1) find the homeschoolers (since we're not registered, not that easy) and 2) implement some program to monitor and track them. Who will be in charge of the monitoring? The already over-extended schools? A newly created administrative position?

I can't see this going anywhere anytime soon.

And the mandatory testing. I'm a firm believer that standardized tests don't prove much. Which is pretty much why I wanted to homeschool to begin with. I wanted my son to be taught a real education and NOT be taught to pass a test.

We have had mandatory testing in some of the states in which we've lived. I taught them how to read a passage and answer questions, how to fill in a bubble sheet, but that's it. I don't bother teaching to the test. You really don't need to, based on my experience. My kids all test above average (and in some cases exceptionally high) every year. They *do* miss some things that are...unique to the public school experience, but I don't worry about that.

“If families are doing these horrific things to their kids, we are going to catch them in basic-skills testing,’’ he said.

Oh, what I could do with THAT statement!!!

:iagree: That one really stuck out to me too!

“If families are doing these horrific things to their kids, we are going to catch them in basic-skills testing,’’ he said.

Oh, what I could do with THAT statement!!!

That was the quote that, I think, smoke came out my ears. I just....I just...I can't even form a coherent sentence.

It wasn't the home schooling that killed this girl; it was a brain-washed mother following the teachings of a cult.

Furthermore, according to the article, the STATE was made aware of the girl's sad living conditions 2 years ago, when the girl's godparents petitioned a court for custody.

So, the state and child protective services knew this child "existed," and yet the legislator says the problem is hs'ing?

Methinks she is shamelessly using this tragic incident to push her own agenda. If anything, this case should prove that just having the state be aware of a child's condition is no guarantee against child abuse and neglect.

Poor, poor little girl.

oh crap.

You know, I wish when they wrote articles like that, they would put the word homeschooling in quotes because those people were NOT homeschooling.

And where were the neighbors? where was the family? Where were the citizens who *should* have turned this mother in?

I'll be fighting this one. And I thing Christie fully supports homeschooling, too.

I'd be opposed even to that much oversight. The most I could bring myself to do is send in a one-time notice of intent. The rest, the state doesn't need to know. :glare:

Unfortunately I live in RI. We are one the most strictest states when it comes to homeschooling. I have to send in a LOI, Standardized Test Scores AND details, attendance sheets, and scope and sequence of all things I plan to do. It's a nightmare! :glare:

Wait. They were approved to adopt two children, yet the state had no idea what their home conditions or other children were like?! People normally have to go through the wringer to be approved as an adoptive parent, including home visits. They didn't know the kids existed, my foot. Why aren't they overhauling adoptive guidelines, then? :banghead:

Child abuse has nothing to do with Homeschooling. There are lots of kids that are abused and schooled through public school that are never helped.

:glare:

:iagree:Abuse happens, regardless of if a child is in ps, or hs.

NJ legislators are famous for taking every tragedy and trying to come up with a law or regulation to prevent it from happening again no matter how rare it was or how impossible it would be to regulate against every tragedy that could ever possibly occur.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem letting the state know what curriculum I use or having my homeschooler take their stupid/worthless standardized tests (yes, I have personal experience with putting 2 kids in school that their little MAP test is completely invalid as a method for determining future success and placement in classes...but that is a completely different topic). My child gets a yearly physical so that doesn't really bother me either. I say I don't have a problem because I have nothing to hide not because I want them to pass the law and do it.

The part that bothers me is that I am doing a better job schooling my child at home than they are with the ones I have in school. Their stupid block scheduling in the high school my son attends is horrendous knowing everything one knows about how learning works, their "zero tolerance" policies have them subjecting good kids to ridiculous punishments and an utter lack of common sense in handling things (coming from someone who knows a good kid who was threatened with handcuffing and booking for putting an extra 35 cent milk on his tray at lunch which the lunch lady missed...not hiding it or stealing it, just the lady didn't see it on his tray and he didn't realize she missed it), and they spend so many days "learning" to take tests when they should be spending the time actually learning so the test is just some thing they do at the end of the year.

So maybe they need more oversight on their own school systems and to worry less about the homeschoolers who for the most part are doing a better job.

Wait. They were approved to adopt two children, yet the state had no idea what their home conditions or other children were like?! People normally have to go through the wringer to be approved as an adoptive parent, including home visits. They didn't know the kids existed, my foot. Why aren't they overhauling adoptive guidelines, then? :banghead:

:iagree:

Someone should contact that woman and point this out to her, if it hasn't been done already, FCOL.

:iagree:

Someone should contact that woman and point this out to her, if it hasn't been done already, FCOL.

Because this is one of Loretta Weinberg's pet issues, and she'll use anything she can to make headlines for it, I'm sure.

ETA: http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36589

This has been going on since 2004, and she made a major push again two or three years ago.

Edited by melissel

Because this is one of Loretta Weinberg's pet issues, and she'll use anything she can to make headlines for it, I'm sure.

Well, still, some of her constituents should make a concentrated effort to be in her face about this. Too bad *I* don't live there. Hmph.

Well, still, some of her constituents should make a concentrated effort to be in her face about this. Too bad *I* don't live there. Hmph.

It's NJ. I don't think we need to worry about prompting anyone to get in her face. I believe "In your face!!!" is the state motto, isn't it? :lol:

Seriously though, I'm sure there are emails and letters being written all over the state. There was a huge response from HSers last time, and she's made a bad name for herself among us.

This story has nothing at all to do with homeschooling...Anyone familiar with the case would know that the mom was 24 when her 8 year old daughter died and the father of the child was 40...That means she was pregnant at 16 by a 32 year old man...He should have been arrested...Also, they were fasting and made the children fast as part of some religious views...I seriously doubt that a standardized test would have changed any of the above circumstances...

It is very sad what happened to this family, but testing has nothing to do with it...

This is just ridiculous. The State has failed to properly execute their responsibilities to children known to be at great risk, and use this to garner publicity and for the ongoing political dance here.

My d/d's PS has lost such an incredible amount of funding that next year her classes will be close to 30 kids. All sports & activities are pay to play, there are no field trips, no textbooks, many districts no longer offer music programs at all, and yet, mysteriously, my $16,000 property taxes don't seem to be going down. Perhaps they could take a look at that little issue before they attempt to handle more children.

This is just ridiculous. The State has failed to properly execute their responsibilities to children known to be at great risk, and use this to garner publicity and for the ongoing political dance here.

My d/d's PS has lost such an incredible amount of funding that next year her classes will be close to 30 kids. All sports & activities are pay to play, there are no field trips, no textbooks, many districts no longer offer music programs at all, and yet, mysteriously, my $16,000 property taxes don't seem to be going down. Perhaps they could take a look at that little issue before they attempt to handle more children.

When we made the announcement to my in-laws that we were going to homeschool, my mil said, among the huge list of reasons she hates homeschooling, "But, we pay taxes, and part of our taxes go to the school. So, no. Don't do it." My husband and I were flummoxed. We understood what she meant, but of all the reasons to tell us, that's one you chose? :lol:

And, my letter is written. Not sure if I will ever hear a response, personal or otherwise, but I hope it helps :001_smile:

When we made the announcement to my in-laws that we were going to homeschool, my mil said, among the huge list of reasons she hates homeschooling, "But, we pay taxes, and part of our taxes go to the school. So, no. Don't do it." My husband and I were flummoxed. We understood what she meant, but of all the reasons to tell us, that's one you chose? :lol:

And, my letter is written. Not sure if I will ever hear a response, personal or otherwise, but I hope it helps:001_smile:

Where did you send it-directly to her?

Where did you send it-directly to her?

It's written, but I need my husband to proof it for me (though I'm usually eloquent, a letter saying that homeschoolers can teach their children without public school probably shouldn't have any typos :001_smile: )

I haven't decided where to send it. I found an address in Teaneck for the district office. My husband said to email her instead. Haven't really decided yet. I'm just glad I got through the letter part...stuff like this is surprisingly hard for me to do...I so hate confrontation, even indirectly!

I haven't decided where to send it. I found an address in Teaneck for the district office. My husband said to email her instead. Haven't really decided yet. I'm just glad I got through the letter part...stuff like this is surprisingly hard for me to do...I so hate confrontation, even indirectly!

I always prefer email, though I don;t know that that means anything.

OT: I grew up in Englewood. Public education has been a mess in NJ and especially certain parts of Bergen County for as long as my parents have lived there, nearly 40 years, and state efforts to resolve these issues have failed to actually improve anything, imo.