Menu

Bible Suggestion, Please (CC)

If you are looking for something non-traditional, I'd suggest The Message. It is plain language and all of the verse-type notations are removed. DH was a Biblical Studies major in college and got this a few years ago so he could read the Bible freshly if that makes sense. He loves it and I think all of the take home ideas etc are still in there. You can even get a paper back version that's pretty inexpensive if that's a factor.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Contemporary-Language-Testament-Proverbs/dp/1600061354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305645329&sr=8-1

If you are looking to read the Bible to learn the stories and teachings then the Message is fine. It is a paraphrase, easy to understand and enjoyable. I would not ever attempt to use the Message as a basis for a serious theological study on a particular verse or topic however. I recommend the ESV for a study Bible just because that is my current favorite but it does not have the simplest language. Also just a tip for comprehension, I recommend reading the letters in one sitting just like you are sitting down to read a letter from a friend.If you get a letter in the mail you don't read a couple of lines a day. When you wake up in the morning, start your day with a psalm and a prayer :001_smile:

I have heard good things about the Message (mentioned by previous poster).

I find the NIV to be clear and understandable. It also helps to start with some of the more straight forward books. I find Mark and Matthew easier to start than say John, but that might just be personal perference.

I hope someone else chimes in with suggestions.

One thing that DH would do for someone that is struggling with understanding the Scriptures is get them (or suggest they get) a parallel Bible. It has two to four different versions lined up next to each other (two columns to a page). He would tell them to read the most difficult, if they didn't understand it, then read the next one till they got to the easiest (usually The Living Bible, which is a paraphrased Bible). I know it helped some of them.

Here are a few (and if you click on "look inside" and go to the first pages, you will see how it is set up):

http://www.amazon.com/Todays-Parallel-Bible-Zondervan/dp/0310918367/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305645801&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/KJV-Amplified-Parallel-Bible-Zondervan/dp/0310925614/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305645801&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/NIV-KJV-Parallel-Bible-Zondervan/dp/0310950406/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1305645801&sr=8-10

We read the NIV with the children in our daily readings, and when we study we use a combination of the NIV, the ESV, the RSV, and the KJV. I also like reading J B Phillips translation of the New Testament, and very occasionally, The Message.

You can also try an online site (for example: http://www.biblegateway.com/), choose a familiar passage, and compare among different translations to see which is easier to understand. I suggest a newer translation (such as New King James, New International Version, English Standard Version) rather than King James if understanding the language is a concern. I routinely read NKJ and Amplified; and study out of the New American Update (which is regarded by many as the bes word-for-word translation). You can read the Bible! You can also try beginning with a children's bible story book. You want to read the bible; don't let the language stop you!

Best wishes.

New American Standard is my first choice. NIV is second. The Message isn't anywhere on the list. Sorry.

Where did you try to start reading? You might read St. Luke first, then the book of Acts. That will give you a good chronological overview.

Or you could try this. Read throught the OT chronologicaly, then the NT chronologically.

There are many decent, modern versions, as others have mentioned. Perhaps if you're trying to read straight through you're getting stuck? I know that can happen. It might be better to approach it by reading the different books individually, like mini novels or short stories collected within one cover....

I have tried numerous times to read the Bible. I just can't get past the language to make sense of it. Is there any version out there that is very, very understandable? Thanks! :001_smile:

The Good News Bible is written in pretty plain language. The Oxford Annotated NRSV comes with LOTS of fantastic footnotes.

Honestly though, I'd pick up a good guide. Even Isaac Asimov has one out. :) It's not an easy read at times. Sometimes the chronology is off so you read something first that happened after another event that's mentioned later. Sometimes you get the same tale from different perspectives. Sometimes you're reading poetry but other times it's liturgy or legend or history or laws. A guide can help you navigate that. The purpose of a guide is NOT to substitute for your own understanding but rather to help you out the way a Bible study might. Give you an idea of how deep it is so you can go deeper.

If I were to sit down again for the first time with the benefit of what I know now I'd probably read the Genesis and Exodus in order, then the Gospels and epistles and then go back and read the rest but not necessarily in the order they appear in the Bible. Probably according to interest and need and what I was being drawn to.

If you are looking to read the Bible to learn the stories and teachings then the Message is fine. It is a paraphrase, easy to understand and enjoyable. I would not ever attempt to use the Message as a basis for a serious theological study on a particular verse or topic however. I recommend the ESV for a study Bible just because that is my current favorite but it does not have the simplest language. Also just a tip for comprehension, I recommend reading the letters in one sitting just like you are sitting down to read a letter from a friend.If you get a letter in the mail you don't read a couple of lines a day. When you wake up in the morning, start your day with a psalm and a prayer :001_smile:

New American Standard is my first choice. NIV is second. The Message isn't anywhere on the list. Sorry.

Where did you try to start reading? You might read St. Luke first, then the book of Acts. That will give you a good chronological overview.

Or you could try this. Read throught the OT chronologicaly, then the NT chronologically.

Another idea is to get the Egermeier Story Bible and read the stories, then read the corresponding scripture. Personally, I prefer the New American Standard version. I'm not a fan of The Message at all. A parallel bible is also a good idea.

I, too, suggest you play around with different versions of verses on bible gateway to see what reads best to you. One not mentioned yet, a true translation but in modern language, is the Contemporary English Version. I like it. You can try it on Bible Gateway along with others mentioned.

I have tried numerous times to read the Bible. I just can't get past the language to make sense of it. Is there any version out there that is very, very understandable? Thanks! :001_smile:

English Standard Version (ESV) is very understandable, imo. You can get on www.biblegateway.com and test out a few different versions. Find a passage that you had trouble with in the past and look it up until you find a version that makes since but is still accurate.

I suggest getting a New King James, the older NIV, or an ESV. I also suggest reading a Chronological Bible to put everything in context if you do not have a good solid knowledge of it already.

I have a Chronological Bible in the older NIV and it is divided into 356 daily readings.

Contemporary English Version CEV. Though it's VERY easy to understand, it's also a very accurate translation. It was written at a 4th grade reading level, and designed to be read aloud, so the sentence structure isn't convoluted.

Here's an example. (It's from biblegateway.com. Pick the Contemporary English Version and search for Genesis 1, if the link doesn't work right.)

I like NIV best, and ESV is also good. I like using a Study Bible. Study Bibles have notes at the bottom of each page that explain different details about verses. There are also cross-references, which point you to other verses in the Bible that are similar to the verse you just read. There tend to be a lot of cross-references, though, so it can be overwhelming to try to read all of them. I usually read a section of Scripture carefully, read it again and think about it, and then look at the notes at the bottom of the page for that section.

With reading the Bible, the more you do it, the easier it is to understand. The King James Version is beautiful to listen to, especially when reading the Psalms, but it's probably the hardest to understand since the language is so old. I also go to www.biblegateway.com to look up passages in different versions if I want to know what a different translation says about a passage.

It's also helpful to hear clear, systematic preaching through Scripture to help understand what's happening there. I listen to Christian radio sometimes, and sometimes there will be a good teacher explaining a passage. I encourage you not to lean on other people's interpretations completely, though. It's important to learn how to read on your own, too.

I also like going to Bible studies, where there are opportunities to go through a passage with other people, ask questions, and discuss. These vary in quality, but there are good ones out there. Are you a member of a local church?

I haven't read this book, but I've heard some people talk about the book "How To Read the Bible for All Its Worth," which might be helpful.

I also agree that it helps to start with certain portions of Scripture. My favorite book is Luke. There are some tough sections of it, but overall it's pretty accessible. The other gospels (Matthew, Mark and John) are great. I also like Ephesians and James, 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings. I hope this helps! The Bible is awesome, and it's definitely worth pursuing.