Menu

If you had $250 to buy a Kindle + ebook package or books...

Which would you buy?  

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• A Kindle with the Yesterday's Classics ebook bundle.
    • Books, books, books! REAL books!

Neither! I'd buy a Kindle wireless with ads ($117), a decent case (~$40) and get all of the yesterday's classics books for free individually rather than paying a hundred dollars for them. Then I'd spend the rest of the money on buying modern books for the Kindle or print books, whichever seemed best at the time.

I have a Kindle and have over 50 free books on it and they are all formatted just fine.

Neither! I'd buy a Kindle wireless with ads ($117), a decent case (~$40) and get all of the yesterday's classics books for free individually rather than paying a hundred dollars for them. Then I'd spend the rest of the money on buying modern books for the Kindle or print books, whichever seemed best at the time.

I have a Kindle and have over 50 free books on it and they are all formatted just fine.

:iagree:

I like this.

I love my Kindle, and I'd definitely recommend one, but I wouldn't necessarily use it for children's books. I've gotten a few children's books for my Kindle, and I can't say I love reading to DS off of it. I prefer using real books for read alouds as much as possible.

I'd go for the Kindle and get the Yesterday's Classics books, either free or as a bundle. I normally do like real books, but when I get stuff from free sources, I'd sure love to be able to put them on a Kindle (if that's possible), rather than print them out -- that adds up in price quickly, and binders are bulky. Plus, with a newborn coming and a toddler who likes to sit in my lap, a Kindle would be way easier to handle than a book.

For the kids, though, I'd probably opt for books.

For kids - real books. I love my Kindle, but DD wants to turn pages, hold the book, see the pictures. It's not the same on the e-reader.

For me - Kindle with fiction and non-fiction. Reference and books like WTM and WEM have to be in hardcover.

Another vote for this. I have a Nook and I have found free, well-formated, ebooks of all the classics that are available through Yeesterday's Classics.

I still love my real books, but its nice to have so many free options available in e-book format. I was just mentioning to DH last night that we needed to read The Secret Garden to DS. He was like "I've got that on my Kindle!" and I knew that I could get it on my Nook just as easily. (Although I believe that is one we have in real book format too!)

We will never run out of stuff to read with our Kindles/Nooks. But I wouldn't plan on using it for picture books.

I'd go for the Kindle and get the Yesterday's Classics books, either free or as a bundle. I normally do like real books, but when I get stuff from free sources, I'd sure love to be able to put them on a Kindle (if that's possible), rather than print them out -- that adds up in price quickly, and binders are bulky. Plus, with a newborn coming and a toddler who likes to sit in my lap, a Kindle would be way easier to handle than a book.

For the kids, though, I'd probably opt for books.

:iagree: I did this (got Kindle for my birthday) and found other free books on Amazon. I now have almost 700 books and besides the bundle, have spent under 10.00 :)

I purchased a Kindle and then did purchase the Yesterday's Classics package. I requested both the Kindle and Epub format. Now I can put the books on my Kindle AND my iPad/iPod Touch. And if there are color pictures in the ebook we can see them in color on the iPad and iPods.

I opted for real books for kids. If you have your library stored on your kindle, only one child can read at a time. So, even though I love my Kindle, I've opted to keep the boys' library as real books.

That's true, but...once you have multiple Kindles, you can buy one book once and have more than one person reading it on separate Kindles at the same time. :blushing: This was an unexpected perk for us on owning more than one Kindle, but it's amazing how many times we do this now!

Okay, now, if one wanted to get the Yesterday's Classics for free, how do you do that? Do you just download from Project Gutenberg or copy and paste from mainlesson.com? Can the Kindle/Nook/etc. do PDFs? (This is my other reason for wanting one; if it would do PDFs, it would be easier for knitting patterns.)

(Sorry for the slight thread hijack.)

I opted for real books for kids. If you have your library stored on your kindle, only one child can read at a time. So, even though I love my Kindle, I've opted to keep the boys' library as real books.

:iagree: This is me, too. Actually, we recently used some inheritance money to invest in books for kids, and we went with actual books. I think in your shoes, I'd buy a small assortment of board books for the toddler but spend the bulk on choices for older children. It's a good problem to have, though, huh? :D

I would use the library for books and save the money toward a future iPad purchase.

There are so many great interactive apps, especially for your kid's ages and you can read on it.

My 11 y/o was given a kindle for his birthday. I've downloaded over 200 classics for him for FREE. While he loves his Kindle, it wouldn't fit my 9 or 7 year olds. They LOVE the iPad though!

Well, my dh and I already have iPads. Sure, the dc love them, but mostly for games :blush: I think ds would be FAR too tempted to play instead of read on the ipad. I also don't relish the idea of him reading for hours at a time reading on a backlit screen. But don't get me wrong. I *heart* my iPad!

:iagree: This is me, too. Actually, we recently used some inheritance money to invest in books for kids, and we went with actual books. I think in your shoes, I'd buy a small assortment of board books for the toddler but spend the bulk on choices for older children. It's a good problem to have, though, huh? :D

Ah! You are fortunate! I love the fact that you used inheritance money for books. Now that's a wonderful investment! :)

Okay, now, if one wanted to get the Yesterday's Classics for free, how do you do that? Do you just download from Project Gutenberg or copy and paste from mainlesson.com? Can the Kindle/Nook/etc. do PDFs? (This is my other reason for wanting one; if it would do PDFs, it would be easier for knitting patterns.)

(Sorry for the slight thread hijack.)

I just got a Nook Color. I have about 60-70 of the Yesterday's Classics collection books for free. Anything else I just get off PG, check out from the library onto my Nook, or the other free sites. I can access the internet, send email, today I downloaded an attachment that someone sent in email with a map and directions for a play date.

If you want I can access Ravelry and see about downloading a pattern...I didn't even consider that!!!! :D

Truthfully, I would get the Nook Color!!! ;)

The classics were already in collections that I just got for free of the B&N Store.

Edited by simka2

If you want I can access Ravelry and see about downloading a pattern...I didn't even consider that!!!! :D

Oh wow!!! I am so excited.....again! I got right on Ravelry, found a pattern I wanted to do for dd, download took 5secs and it looks great on the screen. Just an FYI> :001_smile:

Dh just got Nook color and rooted it. It now has Android and is a fully functioning tablet as well as e reader. And ds LOVES using my mom's Kindle, so I know he would be ecstatic to have an e reader of his own.

For someone who has no idea what you just said....but really wants to, can you explain. What does Android do?

Argh! What a decision. I've all but decided on the "real" books, because:

1. Ds is not distracted by real books. He loves them! (I do think that you form a sort of relationship/attachment to physical books that does not occur with e-books, at least for me.)

2. The free e-books that I've downloaded onto my iPad (which is more than I'll admit to ;)) have annoying typos. I'm worried that ds would be distracted by the errors enough to really bug him. (He'll often pencil in a missing punctation mark into a book we own, but with an e-book, that isn't so easy.)

3. Physical books never need upgrading, won't become obsolete with time (I hope), and won't suddenly incur new costs to use.

4. If need be, it's possible to sell used physical books. I don't imagine there's much of a market for used e-books. ;)

5. I'm a bit of a romantic in thinking that I can re-read these same copies for years, then pass them down through and eventually to the dc, perhaps even grandchildren. I'm fortunate to have inherited volumes from my grandmothers, great-grandmother, great-great grandfather, etc. There's nothing to beat that wonderful feeling when you find a little note, a letter, an earmark, a little hint that this book was loved by an ancestor. Somehow, downloading great ebooks onto future grandchildren's electronic devices doesn't hold the same cozy feeling for me. :lol:

6. I admit that I might be swayed in my choices of which books to read with dc, by whether they are free and available as an ebook. When I had *almost* bought a kindle, I instantly began running through our current booklist for 3rd grade, wondering which modern books I could replace with a free ebook (or a Yesterday's Classics title). Although I absolutely love old books, I do admit that there are quite a few modern books worth reading, too. :D If I'm paying $8 for a book, whether it was penned in 1876 or 2006, I'll be more likely to choose the *better* book. If one is *free* for kindle... Well, let's just say that I could be swayed... (Note to self--Even if I buy a Kindle, do not start changing all your booklists. Still buy some modern books :) ) I'm sure it's my faulty character, and none of you can relate to this foible.

7. I'm kind of a book snob. Sigh. I like to collect glorious hardcover editions of books, and take great pleasure in hunting for books at used bookstores, library book sales, etc. I enjoy the sheer pleasure of turning the pages, staring at the illustrations, sniffing the binding... I'm hopeless here.

8. Now that it's very, very easy to order a paperback copy of a google ebook from the Harvard bookstore (by clicking On Demand Printing), I can order all those lovely old OOP books I love, without printing them myself or paying exorbitant prices for old used copies. Yay! :)

So, why even consider a kindle for dc?

The great, sheer, mass of quality literature available!!!

Perhaps I'll have to content myself with the idea that more isn't always better. Multum non multa. If we collect the classics, they are worth reading and re-reading for life.

(But I still haven't *quite* made up my mind. I need more chocolate, for one thing. :D So, please, feel free to weigh in. :) )

Edited by Medieval Mom

I just got a Nook Color. I have about 60-70 of the Yesterday's Classics collection books for free.

The classics were already in collections that I just got for free of the B&N Store.

Just from barnesandnoble.com? (Sorry if I am being dense -- the whole e-book thing is a bit overwhelming to me.)

Oh wow!!! I am so excited.....again! I got right on Ravelry, found a pattern I wanted to do for dd, download took 5secs and it looks great on the screen. Just an FYI> :001_smile:

Oh wow indeed! Thanks for checking on that! I assume I could also scan parts of my paper books into my computer and then put them on the e-reader? That would make it so much easier when following a tricky kitting pattern so that I don't have to hold the book open.

I don't think an e-reader will replace real books for me, but it sounds like they could be very helpful in a lot of ways. I think one is going on my Christmas wishlist. :)

For *me*, I'd get the real books. Educational ones for all the kids to share. If it were going to be a gift for my teenage son who carries (and reads) 6 really fat books minimum at a time where-ever he goes, I'd opt for the kindle.

Perhaps I'll have to content myself with the idea that more isn't always better. Multum non multa. If we collect the classics, they are worth reading and re-reading for life.

And, my mom says that one of the good things about getting old is that you get to re-read your favorite books and be surprised at the ending!!

(Of course, I do read free books on my iPad, but I still love real books.)

We love ebooks and ereaders in our family, but that's because we move often. Ebooks have a lot of flexibility, but they're best read on an ereader, and if you only have one, you really aren't very flexible. In my experience, if you're going to go with ebooks, you need an ereader for each reader in the family. Ebooks worked best for us when everyone finally had his or her own ereader.

The problem is most books today are not "real books." Real books are printed in folios, on acid-free paper, and bound with sewn bindings. And preferably printed with type and ink on a press.

Very few "books" today qualify as "real books." Most are offset (or even laser) printed. The paper is "acidic", so it will yellow and self-destruct, and has little to no chance of lasting "generations." And the bindings are often "glued" which also shortens the life of these books.

There are a few publishers that still print "real books", the Library of America series is one. But for most books these days it is folly to think one will leave a lasting library for generations to come since the paper used in publishing will consume itself with time.

Hate to me a downer, but that is the reality of today's publishing world.

Bill

The problem is most books today are not "real books." Real books are printed in folios, on acid-free paper, and bound with sewn bindings. And preferably printed with type and ink on a press.

Very few "books" today qualify as "real books." Most are offset (or even laser) printed. The paper is "acidic", so it will yellow and self-destruct, and has little to no chance of lasting "generations." And the bindings are often "glued" which also shortens the life of these books.

There are a few publishers that still print "real books", the Library of America series is one. But for most books these days it is folly to think one will leave a lasting library for generations to come since the paper used in publishing will consume itself with time.

Hate to me a downer, but that is the reality of today's publishing world.

Bill

So, you're saying that I should stick to slowly collecting Easton Press books and get a kindle or for the rest? :D

So, you're saying that I should stick to slowly collecting Easton Press books and get a kindle or for the rest? :D

I don't know. They are leather bound, but are they printed on acid-free paper?

It doesn't say the paper is "acid free" anywhere I could see on their website. If the paper is pulp it won't matter how "fancy" the cover is, because the paper will yellow and self-destruct inside.

Bill

ETA: a third party site suggests the Easton Press books are printed on acid free paper. I would double check.

Edited by Spy Car

I love my Kindle. The main problem with it is that I think we need one per person in the family, as DD the younger is currently reading her book on mine! There are about 150 books on it already, and I've only purchased 4. I've put the Kindle app on the netbook, but it is much nicer to read on the real Kindle due to the screen.

I love real books too though and I don't see that it needs to be one or the other. However, having recently moved house and discovered just how many books we actually have, I'm thinking that "real" book purchases are going to be strictly limited until we stop moving!

I adore the idea of getting ravelry patterns etc on it and am off to investigate that now! Thanks!

Min

I purchased a Kindle and then did purchase the Yesterday's Classics package. I requested both the Kindle and Epub format. Now I can put the books on my Kindle AND my iPad/iPod Touch. And if there are color pictures in the ebook we can see them in color on the iPad and iPods.

How do you like the package? Are you happy with your purchase? Do you feel the quality is better than the free ebooks available? :bigear:

... which would you buy (for your children to read)?

1. A Kindle with the Yesterday's Classics ebook package, or

2. Books (from amazon, google books printed at Harvard with On Demand Printing, etc.)

:bigear:

what's the yesterday's classic ebook package?

I have a kindle already.

If you get an e-reader and go looking for all the volumes that Yesterday's Classics offers be careful. I tried this and some weren't available, some had so many variations of which many were so awful I wouldn't want them and some were great. If you actually want what YC offers do consider their collection. Especially if you are using it for curricular needs. Otherwise-spend some time hunting for quality free ebooks.

I'd split the money.

I'd buy an ereader, and put a few free books on it. The kindle store is offering the Golden Acorn right now for example, and maybe a couple of dollars here and there for well-formatted public domain works.

Maybe start a thread for well-formatted free books?

And I have discovered that uploading doc files do manage to come out well-formatted so far, this is wonderful! :)

I also bought a $15 cover for it, so not much outlay there.

I just acquired a Kindle for my birthday, and my 7.5 year old thinks that it is "ours"

I think she prefers real-books, however she will read from the kindle. She does prefer it for longer works, "Mom, it has it own bookmark!"

And if it was for a child, I wouldn't buy the special offers Kindle, I would spend the extra $25 to not have ads.

It's my understanding that there are some books in the YC collection that are not easily found elsewhere for free, or that the illustrations are only available in the YC edition, but if I actually wanted any of those specifically, it would cost a lot less just to buy those individual titles!

(Actually, I'd personally use the money for real books, as I'm perfectly happy using my cell phone as an ereader at the moment.)

Edited by ocelotmom