Menu

Munschhausen by Internet? News to me.

What a fascinating topic . . . to be honest, that article makes me feel somewhat vindicated. I've belonged to a couple of boards for years, and there are two long term posters I've always been suspicious about. One in particular was:

1. one lady who apparently was the most fertile woman alive EVER . . . she had a bazillion kids including two sets of naturally occuring twins in a single calendar year. :001_huh: I honestly think she posted about a positive pregnancy test every ten months or so. Like clockwork. For YEARS. And I couldn't help thinking that, if someone had actually had like 5 sets of twins and a set of triplets plus another 10 singletons or so . . . wouldn't it have made the news or something? ;)

Well I'm pretty sure I know the person you are talking about, and she was "outed" on a couple of boards. One place though wasn't good about letting the information out, but others did say there was too much fishy about it. Another person did that ISP search stuff and really thinks it could be a man. EEEEK

oh and if it is the same person, she posted recently that she had some dire disease. So I guess the game is over

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I've decided to stop seeking personal help online-not that I have much, but when I have boy have I- and this thread has reiterated my choice. Some ladies here have pmed me to talk after starting certain threads, but the ironic thing is I feel more safe talking about my drama out in the open online for several reasons. My sympathies to those who are so desperate and lonely to seek online help for real or made up life.

I have a friend IRL (though I don't know her well in real life, mainly through e-mails) whose life is so crazy, if i were to post it here, NOBODY would believe it. It's so crazy, I don't share her stories with anybody, not even real life friends, because NOBODY would believe it.

It's so crazy that I have to keep reviewing it in my mind: "I met her husband; that part is real. I met the daughter; that part is real. I was at that wedding; that part is real. I met the nurse (which validates the illness); that part is real. I was actually present when x happened (the craziest thing); so I KNOW that part is real..."

Even then, I sometimes wonder if it is possible that I'm being scammed, or if she's nuts. It's that crazy.

In the end, I know some people do have crazy, complicated, tragic lives; and it's a shame that our life experiences have taught us to be skeptical.

BTW -- I do think we're confusing stories here. The lady whose daughter got pregnant having sex in the bathroom at the Christian school (or something similar) -- that wasn't JGEmom, I don't think. That story happened on this board (the new board), did it not? JGEmom (aka Classical Mom) was on the old board, and, yes, she posted that her husband died, among many other things. That happened on the old boards.

Can somebody who remembers the whole story post a good summary? I remember how JGEmom got busted, but I don't remember how the mom with the "pregnant" teenage daughter got busted. I do remember the supportive posts. Many were agonizingly intimate, and I totally understand why everyone felt abused by the situation.

No that was the same person, although she posted under multiple monikers on the old boards to keep her stories going. First it was the dead dh, then the pregnant dd, then a dying dd. When it was all exposed, it was also discovered she'd been selling books through the boards and scamming people that way. She received payments but never sent any books. That's how her name came out and yes, it was a Tara in Georgia. IIRC, Butch was the one who laid the whole trace and discovery out on her blog at the time and on the boards.

Cindy,

I think Audrey is correct. It was the old boards and it was the same person with all the different stories.

This whole thread has me very angry. It has spawned a paranoia and a judgmental attitude that I'm fairly sure was not the OP's intention (from "knowing" her online). I base that not only on some of the comments on this thread but on the fact that I've gotten PMs from people wanting me to authenticate one poster or another. I also base it on the comments people have made to me about feeling restricted now about posting about some of their genuine troubles and prayer requests.

Of course we don't know the motivations and authenticity of every one on this board. For some people who don't have any irl friends on this board, you may not know the motivation or authenticity of any person on this board other than yourself. And no, this isn't a safe place to post in the sense that it is public and anyone can read it even if they have to log in to post to the forum. But I actually disagree a bit with SWB (though I agree with her desire for people's safety): I do think that this is an online community for many of the posters on this forum. It is for me. I don't have that sense of community with every poster on this board but for posters who have posted enough or in a way that gives them a distinctive "voice" then yes, I do have it.

For some people, this is their primary source of adult interaction during the day because of the rigors and demands of homeschooling. I am blessed with many irl friends but there is a depth and breadth of conversation on this board because of the wide variety and experiences of the people on this board that I can't get in a real life conversation with just a couple of people.

Someone posted just last week about how this forum was a better place for them to get support for their chronic illness than forums specifically set up for that illness. There are subsets of people here on this board who share certain experiences. If you don't share that experience then you will not get the feeling of validation and support that those people get from other posters like them. I happen to get that from other posters with chronic illness. You might get it from other pagan posters or other posters with food allergies or. . .

You can't keep this an absolutely "pure" place anymore than you can keep your church or coop or neighborhood association an absolutely pure place with only genuine people. I reported an obvious troll just two days ago (1st post, resurrecting a controversial topic, inflammatory language) so yes, there are some things we can do to keep this a nicer community. But you can't keep the membership here to just the ones who match your view or your personality type or your posting style.

Rant off.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

This whole thread has me very angry. It has spawned a paranoia and a judgmental attitude that I'm fairly sure was not the OP's intention (from "knowing" her online). I base that not only on some of the comments on this thread but on the fact that I've gotten PMs from people wanting me to authenticate one poster or another. I also base it on the comments people have made to me about feeling restricted now about posting about some of their genuine troubles and prayer requests.

Of course we don't know the motivations and authenticity of every one on this board. For some people who don't have any irl friends on this board, you may not know the motivation or authenticity of any person on this board other than yourself. And no, this isn't a safe place to post in the sense that it is public and anyone can read it even if they have to log in to post to the forum. But I actually disagree a bit with SWB (though I agree with her desire for people's safety): I do think that this is an online community for many of the posters on this forum. It is for me. I don't have that sense of community with every poster on this board but for posters who have posted enough or in a way that gives them a distinctive "voice" then yes, I do have it.

For some people, this is their primary source of adult interaction during the day because of the rigors and demands of homeschooling. I am blessed with many irl friends but there is a depth and breadth of conversation on this board because of the wide variety and experiences of the people on this board that I can't get in a real life conversation with just a couple of people.

Someone posted just last week about how this forum was a better place for them to get support for their chronic illness than forums specifically set up for that illness. There are subsets of people here on this board who share certain experiences. If you don't share that experience then you will not get the feeling of validation and support that those people get from other posters like them. I happen to get that from other posters with chronic illness. You might get it from other pagan posters or other posters with food allergies or. . .

You can't keep this an absolutely "pure" place anymore than you can keep your church or coop or neighborhood association an absolutely pure place with only genuine people. I reported an obvious troll just two days ago (1st post, resurrecting a controversial topic, inflammatory language) so yes, there are some things we can do to keep this a nicer community. But you can't keep the membership here to just the ones who match your view or your personality type or your posting style.

Rant off.

Jean, you are one of my favorite posters here. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this.:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:100%.

I was thinking about this thread in the shower (the best place to think!)

Not for me! If I think in the shower, I end up either washing my hair 10 times or putting conditioner on before I rinse the shampoo out. I have to concentrate on what I'm in the shower to accomplish. I actually have a list and go through it in order every time, so I don't get distracted and forget to wash my knees and so the hot water doesn't run out while I'm under it.

Not for me! If I think in the shower, I end up either washing my hair 10 times or putting conditioner on before I rinse the shampoo out. I have to concentrate on what I'm in the shower to accomplish. I actually have a list and go through it in order every time, so I don't get distracted and forget to wash my knees and so the hot water doesn't run out while I'm under it.

:lol::lol::lol:I'm the same way. I've been in DEEP thought while showering before, then later in the day I find my hair to be oily. I realize it's either one of two things: I either washed my hair with conditioner, then used it again to condition (I know i've done this before) or I've forgotten to wash it altogether.:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:I'm the same way. I've been in DEEP thought while showering before, then later in the day I find my hair to be oily. I realize it's either one of two things: I either washed my hair with conditioner, then used it again to condition (I know i've done this before) or I've forgotten to wash it altogether.:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah. My #1 Shower Rule is to concentrate until the job is done, and only then do I get to pretend to be a dolphin.

what's wrong with me? Do I really miss that much? Or is it my memory? I seriously just have no recollection of seeing any poster like this!!! I've seen this mentioned before and have kept a little more of a lookout for this type of poster........ I guess I just....... well I don't know! Maybe my selecting to read threads that only interest me have me missing a lot of drama?

I guess ignorance truly IS bliss. :tongue_smilie:

You and me both. I'm kind of torn between wondering about all the drama I seem to be missing and feeling sad about the chilling effect I fear that this will have on people who really do need support.

Rant off.

Thank you. I've been going through some hard personal times lately, and reading this thread has made me feel very glad that I haven't posted about it. I'm sure I'm not the only (in fact, I know I'm not from what others have posted in this thread), and it makes me very sad to think of people who need support now feeling afraid to post for fear of being thought a fraud.

I know I've been accused by a couple of posters on this board of "embellishing" or out and out lieing about dd's accomplishments as a paramedic. Yet, they are very, very true and because she works in an area that services level 1 trauma units, she sees patients with rare problems and ER's that are brimming with critical patients. Yet, I suppose, since I can't prove to the naysayers these incidents because I can't disclose location and identifying information due to Hipa, then I guess this proud mamma should just keep her mouth shut to the board.

Faith

Please do not keep your mouth shut. Your stories about your DD's experiences are very interesting to me, and I look forward to them. I'm sure I'm not The Only One!

I don't get the outrage?!?! :confused:

There were/are/will be posters who misrepresent themselves on this board. It's the nature of the world.

Why is it so wrong to talk about that? Why do I have to believe everything I read here? Why can't I be "discerning?"

Does it bother some people that unsinkable might not believe them? It shouldn't! You know why? There are probably dozens of other people who do believe them!

I worry about a lot of cr@p. But the last thing I am going to worry about is that if every single person on the WTM board believes me.

You and me both. I'm kind of torn between wondering about all the drama I seem to be missing and feeling sad about the chilling effect I fear that this will have on people who really do need support.

:iagree:I guess I'm in the dark, too. It never occured to me that the more serious, personal issues people post about here might not always be true. I've know of a board member on a forum whose son passed away & posted about it soon after, and I knew it was true b/c I saw it on my local news. Drama isn't always fiction, sometimes it's people just needing someone to cry to.

There were/are/will be posters who misrepresent themselves on this board. It's the nature of the world.

Why is it so wrong to talk about that? Why do I have to believe everything I read here? Why can't I be "discerning?"

Does it bother some people that unsinkable might not believe them? It shouldn't! You know why? There are probably dozens of other people who do believe them!

I worry about a lot of cr@p. But the last thing I am going to worry about is that if every single person on the WTM board believes me.

The outrage is over the veiled hints about certain longtime posters that people have made on this thread. The outrage is over people PMing me to ask me "Is X the one?"

I don't care if you resonate with my posts or believe them or like them or anything else. I do care about basic kindness to other people on this forum.

You can and should. This stuff may have hit a nerve with me awhile ago because in real life ppl have treated me with suspicion when opening up to them ('good' friends) and, ****, talk about kicking someone when their down. DELETED most of post due to personal drama content.

Edited by JENinOR

Please do not keep your mouth shut. Your stories about your DD's experiences are very interesting to me, and I look forward to them. I'm sure I'm not The Only One!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: only I *know* I'm not the only one who looks forward to her posting about her dd, among other things!

The outrage is over the veiled hints about certain longtime posters that people have made on this thread. The outrage is over people PMing me to ask me "Is X the one?"

I don't care if you resonate with my posts or believe them or like them or anything else. I do care about basic kindness to other people on this forum.

Just for the record, because your reponse makes it sound like I might be one of the people PMing you...I'm not...

And I never left any veiled hints on this thread...

and I also care about basic kindness to other people on this board.

Hey, people are nosey. They're also usually up for a little drama, especially if it doesn't directly impact them, so when these types of conversations come up there's guaranteed to be those out there that want to be in on any potential 'juicy' bits of info. That doesn't make them evil or unkind... just curious and human. (And no, I didn't PM anyone to ask questions... though I would have if I had a relationship with anyone I thought would have something interesting to tell me! lol!)

The bottom line is, this is the Internet. People are going to say things that are bull. Even people who are good people and not out to scam anyone may sometimes play up their own drama (consciously or not) for the sympathy. I don't say that as a negative... people crave sympathy and understanding, and it's natural for them to reach out for that where they can get it. It's also natural to have an entirely skewed vision of our own 'stuff'. Every hear the saying there are three sides to every story -- his, hers and the truth? Perspective is entirely individual.

People will also gossip and talk about others. Heck, I recently saw a post on another forum about me and my spiritual beliefs because a member here realized I am the admin on a third forum and thought it was amusing to share with that other group who likes to poke a little fun at us. (Er, confusing enough? lol!) That's ok... she seems nice enough anyway, and what does it matter to me if she finds me amusing enough to discuss with strangers? If I'm that concerned about what people think of me, I really should stick to lurking.

One of my favourite quotes is from Wayne Dyer: "What other people think of me is none of my business." No need to worry about whether or not others are judging us, because honestly, someone always is. We just need to keep moving forward and doing what feels right to us, without worrying about all that outside stuff (like others' opinions of us) we couldn't possibly control even if we tried.

Just for the record, because your reponse makes it sound like I might be one of the people PMing you...I'm not...

And I never left any veiled hints on this thread...

and I also care about basic kindness to other people on this board.

My outrage was never directed at you, Unsinkable. I was just explaining what my outrage was about since I was the one who went off on a rant this morning.

Even people who are good people and not out to scam anyone may sometimes play up their own drama (consciously or not) for the sympathy. I don't say that as a negative... people crave sympathy and understanding, and it's natural for them to reach out for that where they can get it. It's also natural to have an entirely skewed vision of our own 'stuff'. Every hear the saying there are three sides to every story -- his, hers and the truth? Perspective is entirely individual.[/QUOT

So true and EXACTLY why I basically got no help for pp depression and thought about commiting suicide for months and months and this attitude from others ix exactly what deepened the despair and hopelessness and brought on the suicidal thoughts. I have decided to shut m uh moutb and I do not talj to anyone anymore about it. Nev thought I would be sok sick in all my lifd and hg ave ppl think km a hypochondriac. Oh the irony of it all.

:iagree:

Also, a PP said something about it being chilling if people stopped posting when they need to. :confused: Chilling?? Really? If it is so chilling then that poster should definately not be posting it here, they should seek a professional.

It was not my intention to create paranoia. I admit that there were a few things lately that had me feeling squicky. One thing is the troll you reported, but other things, too. I've taken to ignoring those things, but it nags at the back of my mind because of the JGEMom experience and the toll that took on me. I cannot forget that.

There are thousands of posters on here, and of those thousands I have only seen a rare, rare few -- I could count on one hand -- who have made me feel squicky. I agree with you that people share all kinds of things here for all kinds of reasons, and that is a GOOD THING. As I said before, we all need support.

So, I didn't post anything to make people get out their detective kits or conspiracy theories. I posted because it's on my mind and *I* needed to process and ask for input -- which is what I thought the General Board was for, actually.

Even people who are good people and not out to scam anyone may sometimes play up their own drama (consciously or not) for the sympathy. I don't say that as a negative... people crave sympathy and understanding, and it's natural for them to reach out for that where they can get it. It's also natural to have an entirely skewed vision of our own 'stuff'. Every hear the saying there are three sides to every story -- his, hers and the truth? Perspective is entirely individual.[/QUOT

So true and EXACTLY why I basically got no help for pp depression and thought about commiting suicide for months and months and this attitude from others ix exactly what deepened the despair and hopelessness and brought on the suicidal thoughts. I have decided to shut m uh moutb and I do not talj to anyone anymore about it. Nev thought I would be sok sick in all my lifd and hg ave ppl think km a hypochondriac. Oh the irony of it all.

I'm confused? :confused: Did anyone accuse you personally of anything here?

It was not my intention to create paranoia. I admit that there were a few things lately that had me feeling squicky. One thing is the troll you reported, but other things, too. I've taken to ignoring those things, but it nags at the back of my mind because of the JGEMom experience and the toll that took on me. I cannot forget that.

There are thousands of posters on here, and of those thousands I have only seen a rare, rare few -- I could count on one hand -- who have made me feel squicky. I agree with you that people share all kinds of things here for all kinds of reasons, and that is a GOOD THING. As I said before, we all need support.

So, I didn't post anything to make people get out their detective kits or conspiracy theories. I posted because it's on my mind and *I* needed to process and ask for input -- which is what I thought the General Board was for, actually.

I know you didn't (as much as anyone can know on an online forum!;)). But as you know, threads can take on a life of their own. . .

I know you didn't (as much as anyone can know on an online forum!;)). But as you know, threads can take on a life of their own. . .

Oh, I've definitely been around long enough to know that! :lol:

You've quoted me, but I'm not quite sure what you're saying here as it relates to my post, so don't know how to respond. Either way, I'm sending some hugs and hoping you get/got the help you need. :grouphug:

:iagree: No one said anything about people not sharing some of their real hurts, problems, or concerns. If you're (general you) not making it up, we're not referring to you.

I don't mind reading about people's dramas. I have no money to send anyone, so there's no risk of my being scammed. I'd rather believe and pray for someone who's lying than run the risk of ignoring someone who's truly needing support. My own life has had plenty of unbelievable drama (enough that had many things not actually happened to me, I'd not have believed them if they'd happened to someone else), so unless details aren't jiving, then I would rather err on the side of sympathy than not.

Oh for goodness sakes, let's face it...we're all a little bit "off" or we wouldn't be here.

THERE. I said it. :tongue_smilie:

Just remember, don't send money....K? (That's all that I remember from the original article when I read it a couple days back).

Now, back to our own versions of sanity. And not.

Oh for goodness sakes, let's face it...we're all a little bit "off" or we wouldn't be here.

Just remember, don't send money....K? (That's all that I remember from the original article when I read it a couple days back).

:thumbup::thumbup:

Ha! Exactly! :lol:

So true and EXACTLY why I basically got no help for pp depression and thought about commiting suicide for months and months and this attitude from others ix exactly what deepened the despair and hopelessness and brought on the suicidal thoughts.

Post partum depression and suicidal thoughts are *never* someone else's fault. This is a brain chemistry thing. Please don't blame it on the people who didn't reach out to you. That's unfair.

:iagree: No one said anything about people not sharing some of their real hurts, problems, or concerns. If you're (general you) not making it up, we're not referring to you.

Definitely. I was never talking about genuine people. I was talking only about those who were making it up.

Post partum depression and suicidal thoughts are *never* someone else's fault. This is a brain chemistry thing. Please don't blame it on the people who didn't reach out to you. That's unfair.
wow, judgemental much? Of course its not anyones fault, but when youre asking for help and trying to get ppl to see what youre dealing with is serious, life and death even, and they just bliw you off??? I asked my husband for quite some time for medical help and sone other physical intervention (like could I havesome help with the kids as he works 80 hrs a week) as I coukd see things getting desperate soon before they finally did get worse. I no longer wait for others to help and I am stronger than i ever thought I was. My hubs is sweet just clueless and as I have found not one to take care of me and so I am becoming that self sufficient wonan he wants and though it sucked at my most needy time, god worjs slk things fir good, and I am hapoy about my growth. Exscyse the typos im using a iphone..

I had to read this multiple times before seeing it as "detective kits" and not "detective kilts".

wow - you guys are really freaking me out. I can't believe all this stuff happens .......now truth be told, I only belong to this group and 2 others which are very small......no facebook, no twitter, no blog, no other online stuff (yes I realize I am a little behind in technology) but holy cow - I'm amazed that this stuff goes on......

ETA: as my DH says, "I don't have facebook, but if you're really interested in connecting with me, I am in the phonebook....."

signed,

happily naive to the on-line craziness

Edited by CanadianMumof4

And NO its not always a brain chemistry thing. my hormones are all messed up incl, progesterone, thyroid, and cortisol

This is a complete derail from the thread, but I can't help myself...

All hormones originate in the brain.

The pituitary gland (an endocrine gland kinda behind your nose above your spine) is responsible for thyroid stimulating hormone and corticotropin releasing hormone (which releases cortisol from the adrenal cortex [see below]).

Progesterone, while mostly thought of being solely produced by the ovaries, is also produced by the adrenal glands, which are endocrine glands governed by both the pituitary and the hypothalmus. Think of the hypothalmus as a nerve / hormone control center for your brain.

All of this stuff is normally referred to as "HPA axis disorders" (hypothalmic pituitary adrenal), and they are more common than people think. One significant shock to a person's system (a head injury, a difficult pregnancy, a period of prolonged, high level stress) can throw it out of whack to the point that it is unable to "right" itself. And, since it is all interconnected, a problem in one area tends to "cascade" into the others.

eg: Many people who believe they have "adrenal fatigue" actually have an honest to goodness medical issue, but it is much more serious, and it is much higher up the food chain than their adrenal glands. By the time someone starts googling symptoms and decides the issue is their adrenal glands, the problem has generally greatly effected their other glands and the person REALLY should be seeing an endocrinologist.

If any one is interested, there are tons of good, easily readable med articles on it on the internet; just stay away from the "alternative" sites and stick to the "medscape" type sites, lest you get info on quack "cures" (there are no cures for head injuries, folks), vs information on bodily functions.

Off to school!

asta

This is a complete derail from the thread, but I can't help myself...

All hormones originate in the brain.

The pituitary gland (an endocrine gland kinda behind your nose above your spine) is responsible for thyroid stimulating hormone and corticotropin releasing hormone (which releases cortisol from the adrenal cortex [see below]).

Progesterone, while mostly thought of being solely produced by the ovaries, is also produced by the adrenal glands, which are endocrine glands governed by both the pituitary and the hypothalmus. Think of the hypothalmus as a nerve / hormone control center for your brain.

All of this stuff is normally referred to as "HPA axis disorders" (hypothalmic pituitary adrenal), and they are more common than people think. One significant shock to a person's system (a head injury, a difficult pregnancy, a period of prolonged, high level stress) can throw it out of whack to the point that it is unable to "right" itself. And, since it is all interconnected, a problem in one area tends to "cascade" into the others.

eg: Many people who believe they have "adrenal fatigue" actually have an honest to goodness medical issue, but it is much more serious, and it is much higher up the food chain than their adrenal glands. By the time someone starts googling symptoms and decides the issue is their adrenal glands, the problem has generally greatly effected their other glands and the person REALLY should be seeing an endocrinologist.

If any one is interested, there are tons of good, easily readable med articles on it on the internet; just stay away from the "alternative" sites and stick to the "medscape" type sites, lest you get info on quack "cures" (there are no cures for head injuries, folks), vs information on bodily functions.

Off to school!

asta[/QUO

Thank you so much, asta, for taking the time to write this out. This is very interesting.

Im sorry that I didnt understand it all but to see an endocrinologist was clear.:tongue_smilie: I have tests that show those 3 hormones are low, esp the cortisol and progesterone. Are you saying my brain is involved or that other gland are involved or both cause I know that much as I cant. think. straight. and get so very easily overwhelmed, stressed, irritable, confused, but I xont know that its a sdratonin isse, but im learning to cope until I can figure it out.

Edited by JENinOR

And the alternative sites are what have gotten me this far...the drs were no help at all except to give me antideppresant and rule out cancer. In addition to the depression, I now have several chronic physical dx...fibro and cf are two... that are untreatable according to the drs, but im not gonna stop trying...on the good days anyways.

Edited by JENinOR