Menu

Poll: Are Your Kids' Names Rising or Falling in Popularity?

Younger dd fell from the 30's at the year of her birth to the 60's last year. I'm actually surprised it is not higher. We spelled it differently to give her some individuality ;)

Older dd was in the early 400's when she was born and now in the 180's. We chose her name for it's uniqueness and then it became popular :glare:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised by that too, because I lovelovelove the name, but I am thinking it's because it has multiple common spellings, all of which get counted separately. Like, Emily can be spelled different ways but is most often Emily, whereas Kathryn, Katherine, and Catherine are all fairly common spellings. I think the same with Sarah/Sara; it's a common name but with two equally common spellings, it gets split up and counted separately.

Oh, that makes sense.

That would make sense to my Kathryn's brain too. She has a real affinity for any author or character or person who spells Kathryn EXACTLY the way she does. It's like the other spellings just don't do it justice. :lol: I named her after her grandmother so I didn't even pick the spelling, my g-ma did. And when my g-ma called to congratulate me after the birth of my dd she told me that she didn't even want to name her dd Kathryn. She wanted to name her Kathi, but the nurse at the hospital told her she couldn't put a nickname on the birth certificate. Can you imagine? That was 1952. How times have changed. So Kathryn was my mom's default name but I like it alot. :001_smile:

After spending the first years of my life as Becky I determined that I am NOT a nickname kind of girl.

How interesting!

I didn't think my son's would be on the list, but in 2000, it was #634 and 2010 it was #397. Wow!

My daughter's I thought would be more popular, but it is actually decreasing: #70 in 2000 and #185 in 2010.

I would love to see this broken down regionally somewhere. I have an Abigail. Her name popped into the top 10 in the year of her birth and has remained there. The funny thing is that at the time, I did not know a single Abigail. Since that time, we have run across some Abigails and Abbys, but do not know any personally in her age group or younger. It must be more popular in other places.

Paula

All of my children's names have fallen in popularity, and so has my husband's. My name is not in the top 1000 for any decade LOL, but I can assure you it's falling. I've never met a child with my name. Oh, and the year my twins were born, there were like 16 other sets of twins with the same first names, but now that combination is not on the twin list.

My DS's is decreasing: it was 37 the year he was born and 62 today.

My DD's has dropped a lot over the decade. It was 417 in 2000 but 940 in 2010, the year she was born.

Soon-to-be-DS2's name was 3 in 2000 and 16 in 2010.

All of our kids have been named after our grandparents.

The Social Security Administration has released its annual baby names popularity list for the top 1000 names given in America for 2010.

My DS' name continues its climb up the popularity rankings, while my 2 girls' names are falling. The youngest one's name fell out of the top 1000 last year. I guess it's seen as old-fashioned in a bad way rather than a good way.

As the HS I know IRL tend to go for more uncommon names in general, I'm curious to see whether your choices are rising or falling in popularity.

Poll should show up shortly.

One rising, one falling (both still in top 20) and one that hasn't been single digits for 25+ years.

But I love all of them, and love their names and wouldn't change a thing.

My oldest kids' names are dropping. Olivia's name dropped by one - however, her name has been in the top ten since 2001, it just flucuates a bit every year.

We are thinking of names for our next baby - they are all quite popular right now. Strangely enough, these are all names that I loved as long ago as in the 1980's (Olivia was one of them), but they weren't popular back then!

Two of mine are increasing:

Declan - wasn't in the top 1000 when he was born in 1995, now is #275, so definitely trending upward

Fiona - was #347 in 2002 when she was born, now is #257, so still going up.

Cecily - not in top 1000 then or now

Duncan - going down - it peaked it popularity the year he was born, 1997, at #377 and now is #705.

In Girls names in the UK lists i never used to find my daughter's name (Laila) but a different spelling Layla is on a current list at number 68 having risen 14 places so it must have been on at least the last years, I suspect its suddenly got more common though, I'm hearing it around more too.

My son's name is Toben and never on any list in any spelling, Tobin or Tobyn, but Toby is usually pretty high although he is never known as just Toby. I know one other little boy called Tobyn but other than that always hear of it as a surname.

Having said that the list I have found for the UK don't seem to go beyond the first 100.

Edited by lailasmum