Menu

What are you doing for science?

mrsriley81

We used RSO Life for my second grader this year and enjoyed it. This year I will have a young 1st grader and 3rd grader and I plan on starting Earth/space with them this week. I am still undecided on whether I am going to purchase RSO for this. I downloaded the samples from their site and most of the weather experiments are useless here in AZ in the summer. I think they skip over biomes completely. Space and rocks I'm sure my boys will want to study in more depth. I am considering just making a topic list myself combining what the boys want learn based on TOCs from RSO, ES, and BFSU and using library books and VanCleave experiments. I'll make my 3rd grader do little lab reports. I'm starting the RSO samples today...maybe I'll remember how much I love the ease of use and go with it.

I think you can definitely teach them both together, and either life or earth/space would be fine.

Noeo Chemistry 1 with my young Kindergartener. We enjoy it a lot! It includes a literature approach to science along with notebooking and experiments. My big girl has retained A LOT and loves this curriculum. I am very glad that we are using it and I plan on continuing with Physics 1 next then Biology 1. And it recommends use for ages 5-I believe 8.

We love the apologia also, we have done botony, astronomy, and will be doing anatomy this year. There are junior notebooks you can purchase for the younger children, as well as on JeannieFulbrights web page she has notebooking pages you can copy for most of the books, some with primary lines for the younger students, and standard lines for the older. It is really great it is conversational in nature. Just great!!!!! NANCYT.

We had Apologia scheduled but after doing Apologia Astronomy and even that was so WORDY....we decided to wait a couple more years before approaching it again. I LOVE Apologia but I wouldn't advise for anyone teaching kiddos under 4th grade, honestly.

My dd's LOVE science and sucked down Considering God's Creation in just 6 months!! So that wasn't enough for them..but with Apologia it was just on the verge of too much for them.

We've decided to go with Elemental Science for the Grammar Stage this coming fall. I was thinking of doing Earth Science this Summer but decided against it since I really need to have the kids finish Language Arts, Spelling and Math to be ready for their next level come this fall. So we're taking a plunge at Biology next year..and then we'll work our way into doing Earth Science once we finish that and through the summer next year.

The one downfall to Elemental Science is that I thought purchasing the student workbook and the teacher's manual was all I needed.....little did I realize (which is stated in the samples..I just misread it or something)....but you have to purchase additional books to even complete the curriculum. So now I'm hunting for the additional books so I can even begin scheduling this.

We used Elemental Science - Biology for a 1st and 3rd grader this year. It was super easy to adapt to both ages. My first grader would copy the main idea sentence from the white board and my 3rd grader would copy that sentence and she and I would come up with 2 more together (3rd grader = 3 sentences).

The materials suggested are super age appropriate for a K and a 2nd. You could just have the K sit in and enjoy and have the 2nd grader copy a sentence or 2. It is more than enough.

There is usually 1 experiment a week - all stuff most people have in the house and take less than 5 minutes TOTAL.

Lesson plans are done for you. It is an open and go and the author does a GREAT job of following the classical model. There are even suggested supplemental reading lists to coordinate with the material, should you choose to do so. The teacher manual can be downloaded at www.elementalscience.com for about $16?

Science never took more than 5-15 minutes and the kids begged to do it first nearly every day... it is almost May and we started using it in August of last year. It was a big hit at our house and took very little work from me.

Another vote for Elemental Science here! Easy, easy, easy, and lots of fun. We used biology for this year, and my Ker will use her Intro for next year.

I'm actually keeping my two separate for science for now. I may regret that later, but ES is quick and easy, and we all love science here. My younger likes having her "own" stuff, too. Just figured I should mention it.

For my oldest's K year, we used BFSU, and I did really like it overall, especially for an overview of all topics at once. But it was a lot for me, so I personally needed something different. We also got off on a geology/rock tangent during that time, which was wonderful. As a result, though, I'm actually combining ES Earth Science/Astronomy with RSO for my soon-to-be 2nd grader. I like ES's astronomy a LOT as well as the fact that it, unlike RSO, addresses biomes. But a lot of the other stuff was more review for us, so RSO is proving to be a nice fit. We've started it, and the weather section has been very appropriate for our windy, rainy spring! :tongue_smilie: It's a short part of RSO, though, as we'll move on to the water table next.

My point is, I prefer ES by miles for Life Science. For Earth/Astronomy, it depends on your preference. For Chemistry, well, the ES author is a chemist, so I'm keeping that in mind. BFSU is definitely an amazing program that will we use as a resource, and if you enjoy it, you can't go wrong with it.

HTH!

I a huge BFSU fan. I have been using it with my K and 2nd grader this year. I love the in-depth science curriculum, and I am planning on using all three books through middle school.

It takes a little time to read through the lesson and gather things from around the house for the experiments, so it would not be a good fit for someone who just wants to open a box to do science. However, I have not seen anything equal to BFSU in the depth of science that it teaches to kids other than high school level courses.

We use Apologia. Love love love it! You would definitely have to pick and choose the activities, though, with those ages. They have lapbooks you could do with the texts, too.

:iagree:

We do Apologia with my kids, ages: 8, 7, 7, 6. My other younger 6 year old and my 5 & 3 year old sit in most days.

Right now we are doing Zoology 3. Next year is Zoology 1. Then we'll take a break for Astronomy before finishing with Zoology 2. My kids love love love animals of every kind so it's a great fit for us.

Right now we're doing a WTM-style animal study. We'll do the human body over the summer.

Next year, I'm going to put ds in science classes at a local nature center. I have a hard time getting science done because there is so much language work in the early years, so I figure with a scheduled class to get to, he will at least get some exposure.

We've done nothing formal for K this year but for first grade we're doing a combo of McRuffy Science 1 and using the Core Knowledge sequence of topics for first grade for add on books and field trips. I've also got Evan Moor's Giant Science Resource book for the occasional supplemental worksheet.

We've been using Nancy Larson Science for about 5 weeks now with my 1rst grader & Kindergardener. We are so, so pleased with it. I was initially not sure how I would like using a scripted lesson because I am very much someone who likes to tweak, do my own thing, etc. But it turns out that, for a non-science person like myself, the scripting is wonderful. I'm not struggling with how to explain a concept or how to word things. The kits come with everything you need & my kids have REALLY enjoyed the hands-on sets that come with it as well as the picture cards.

Another reason that I chose Nancy Larson Science over the others I was considering (R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, A Reason for Science, Noeo Science) is because it required far less writing than the others. With two emerging readers & writers, I just felt that we already do so much writing between their handwriting assignment and the writing they do in their phonics, math, grammar, spelling & writing books that I really did not want to add a bunch more writing to their day.

For the first time ever, Science is getting done on a regular basis. The kids are learning & really look forward to our science lessons.

(I started out the year with Apologia but because our main curriculum is literature/reading heavy- Tapestry of Grace- I was just totally overwhelmed with Apologia.)

I like Bedell. I have no excuse not to do it. I just open the book and read whatever goes along with my Bible reading lesson of the day.

http://www.bedellcurriculum.com/index_files/Page401.htm

Sometimes I supplement with more reading from an encyclopedia or watch something on netflix or youtube.

I have used this out of print Janice Vancleave workbook for about 10 years now and never found anything better. I've stopped cringing at the age suggestions and concentrate on learning what I have not yet learned yet. I research the topics and do the experiments a couple times, going back to do more research each time, before reading the answers in the back. Then I move onto setting up a real experiment with variables and a hypothesis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471466476/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

This year we're doing themed studies a la Tanglewoodeducation.com (dh is finalizing Rocks and Minerals), and BFSU.

Next year, for simplicity's sake (I have a new baby), we're doing Singapore Science MPH 3/4, and maybe one or two topics (Mammals, Soil Studies) if we have time. The following year (4th, yikes!) we'll continue with BFSU Volume 2, grades 3-5.

We use and love Sonlight Science. The books are ones that my boys would want to read anyways, we love having all of the supplies on hand, and the DVDs are a fun extra. My boys are not big on any kind of pencil work but both of them like the activity sheets. I like the spiraled approach where certain topics continue to come up but with more depth and more advanced vocabulary each time. We normally prefer mastery based programs but not for science.

Guest momk2000

I am using McRuffy with dd for K and she loves it. It comes with a science kit, so no scrambling for materials. Very open and go. :)

Right now we're doing a WTM-style animal study. We'll do the human body over the summer.

Next year, I'm going to put ds in science classes at a local nature center. I have a hard time getting science done because there is so much language work in the early years, so I figure with a scheduled class to get to, he will at least get some exposure.

This is what we did, and it worked well for us. I liked having a more relaxed approach to science when my dc were younger :001_smile:

We do RSO, Chemistry, once a week. Actually, my husband does it with her. On top of it, my dd8 reads tons and tons of science-y books, and we get a lot of science dvds from the library. It seems like there is a lot of science going on here, somehow.

The 106 Days of Creation Studies from simplycharlottemason.com is a nice, gentle introduction to science topics for young children, and it's designed for you to do it with all of your children together.

I tend to be pretty laid-back about science, and our kids did some at co-op too, but this year, we had a really great time raising butterflies, keeping a log about them, and learning about them. Currently, we're using the Burgess Bird Book and have really enjoyed learning a lot about birds (way more than I ever learned in school). For both butterflies and birds, I found very good, but inexpensive, packets on CurrClick.com that have been excellent.

Undecided about next year. For the younger grades, I like to go with whatever they're interested in at the time. They want to raise ladybugs, so maybe we'll study insects. Possibly stars and sky over the summer too. And we haven't done a lot with human anatomy, so (especially with a new baby to observe) maybe I can plan a unit to study that.

we use Nancy Larson here and we love it. Like someone else said...for the first time in our home Science is getting done on a regular basis...I love the scriptedness of the TE and I love the fact that I don't have to buy really anything to make it work...it is all there for me. If you want a more detailed review of this program, here is a link...I have posted this link many times on this forum because I feel that strongly about this program and how successful it has been in our home. Look at post #13...

we just built a skeleton - Page 2 - The Well-Trained Mind Forums (aka Hive Mind)

We have followed the Well Trained Mind Science section since first grade. It is so easy to do, and we don't need a specific curric. Usually just a science encyclopedia of some sort and library books and paper and art supplies and things from around the house for experiments and activities.

This year we are doing the 3rd grade chemistry using Adventures w/Atoms and Molecules and the Usborne Science Encyclopedia. It is very easy to do. My younger dd tags along and does pictures and narrations of the experiments in her science notebook.

Next year it is the physics. Also, I am thinking of adding some Magic Schoolbus units in for my younger at home or co-op. I will get the video or book, do an activity from the activity book, and do the lab sheets from the book. That will give her some exposure to topics that we haven't covered since she was 3 or 4.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

Another vote for BFSU. I started using it this year with my K and 2nd grader. I love the approach to science. I'm learning, too, and I was a science major! The approach is completely different than any other science program I've seen. I like the flexibility of the program, and both of my kids *love* science now. (And my 6th grader can even join in when she wants.)

We started the year using only Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage and recently we added RSO: Life to that. The ES assignments are short and sweet and we usually do a whole week of science in one sitting. I aim to do science 2-3 times a week, but that doesn't always happen.

Just yesterday I happened to blog about both of these science curriculums and what we recently did. You can see it HERE.