Menu

Question for procrastinators

or anyone who wants to answer.

I am a horrible procrastinator. I want to change it but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know all of you super organized people will say, "just do it" but I'm not sure if it is that easy.

I find lately when there is something I have to do and I go to do it I have a mini panic attack. Or I just cannot start and I end up pacing and if I try to start my mind goes blank. At times I feel like I just want to give up and hide. What's up with this? Anyone else experience this?

I'm organizing a home school book sale at my church for this weekend and I can't wait for it to be over. I'm so stressed! I don't want to open my email because I know I'll have to deal with this sale.

What make some people procrastinate and others super organized? Is it personality? Can I at least be a little organized without panicking?

Kelly

I just have to give myself a time. "Okay, I can play on the computer until 9:30, then I have to finish cleaning." Then, when the time comes, I just slam shut the computer (or whatever else I'm using to procrastinate) and get to it before my brain has time to process what I'm doing.

For me, the best way around my procrastination is to make a list. I can't 'forget' or ignore projects if I have a list of what I need to do. :)

I make lists. It seems to add to my panic. My dh thinks lists are the best thing in the world. I might get a lot done when I have a list but I have an ulcer by the week's end.

I think I need a list and a drink or Valium :tongue_smilie:.

I procrastinate -- I think that I do for one or two reasons:

By putting stuff off, I get to do other stuff that comes up or that I want to do, but I still do what I had been putting off.

2: I am so neurotic about having procrastinated that I do an amazing job on whatever it was b/c I don't anyone to think that I procrastinated OR if I admit that I did or they know me well enough, I want them to be stunned by what I am able to do at the last minute.

:D

I'm totally serious, btw.

For me...it's an ADD symptom. That, and the stacking of books, papers, etc. Does this strike a chord with you?

Geo

Stacking of books and papers? Is this about making stacks of books and papers? I have stacks of books and papers all over the house :001_smile: I make them look pretty sometimes or just put a towel over them. It is funny how I think that makes them disappear. I'm like a kid with their hands over their eyes who thinks they are invisible :tongue_smilie:

I make lists. It seems to add to my panic. My dh thinks lists are the best thing in the world. I might get a lot done when I have a list but I have an ulcer by the week's end.

I think I need a list and a drink or Valium :tongue_smilie:.

Have you tried prioritizing your list?

I will take a scrap of paper and draw a line across the middle. I put things on the top that I absolutely have to do, and things on the bottom that I would like to get done. For longer term goals or things that are dreamy I put those on the back.

I also don't put big tasks on my list like 'clean the house'. I would never put 'clean the kitchen' on the top and 'clean the bedroom' on the bottom. I may put, 'mop the kitchen with bleach' on it but never broad goals. AGAIN NEVER a broad goal, very specific goals.

For housework I usually have a set list for the week. But, this is not my "List", it is just a general guideline.

Monday-my room

Tuesday-bathrooms

Wednesday-kitchen

Thurs-living room

Fri-dining room

Sat-vacuum/mop

Sun-laundry

To me: this means that on this day, I will make special effort in these rooms. It may mean dusting or just picking up, but just some form of real effort. I know it may not mean the entire room is absolutely, completely clean. This works for me because I know, if I miss a room one week, it is only a week again until it comes around again. :0)

This also allows me to be more specific on my Today List. If it is Tuesday and I have bathrooms, I may add to the top of my specific list "mop floors", the bottom "wash shower curtain", on the back "scrub toilets with pumice stone".

So, on Tuesday I will make an effort in the bathrooms. I will definitely try to mop them, I will wash the shower curtain if I get to it, and ideally I would pumice the toilets. I will be happy with the effort and mopping.....elated if I get more done.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I find lately when there is something I have to do and I go to do it I have a mini panic attack. Or I just cannot start and I end up pacing and if I try to start my mind goes blank. At times I feel like I just want to give up and hide. What's up with this? Anyone else experience this?

This is what I try when I feel overwhelmed by something I need to accomplish. I break down the task into smaller steps. The tasks which are time-consuming, difficult or need focussed attention, I choose to do during the mornings because there are very few distractions at that time and I am also feeling fresh. The tasks which are easily accomplished - phone calls, answering emails and such, I keep those for the afternoon when I am generally feeling low on energy and motivation.

Try to find out the time of the day which is most productive for you and schedule the most difficult of your tasks at that time.

I'm organizing a home school book sale at my church for this weekend and I can't wait for it to be over. I'm so stressed! I don't want to open my email because I know I'll have to deal with this sale.

What make some people procrastinate and others super organized? Is it personality? Can I at least be a little organized without panicking?

Kelly

Would it help if you schedule a block of time during the day to just deal with the upcoming event? Then you would not have to stress about all the time.

I make a list of what needs to be done. I give it a bit of time, and then I check and see which things I'm putting off. For each of those items, I make the first step a little bit smaller, and a little bit smaller, until the job becomes less overwhelming, and that first step is small enough that it sounds easy to do. For instance, I might have on the original list:

Clean floors

That might sit on my list for a bit too long, so if I see it sticking around, I change the list to read:

Sweep hard floors

Vacuum carpets

If those things still sound too...unattractive, I'd notice it staying on my list too long, and then I'd change it to:

Get out the broom & dustpan

pick up throw rugs & shake

sweep & put away broom

Get out the vacuum cleaner & plug it in

vacuum all carpets

Getting out the broom & dustpan sounds easy. I'd probably do that. Then, once the broom was out, I'd probably find myself willing to do the next teeny part, then the next, then the next...

I find that I have to make the very first step so teeny that it's non-threatening, non-overwhelming, and easy to accomplish.

Would it help if you schedule a block of time during the day to just deal with the upcoming event? Then you would not have to stress about all the time.

Yes - this is what helps me. Plan the work and work the plan. If you draw up a calendar and break down the job into individual tasks, you can figure out where to slot things in your week. For example, if you need printer ink, and there's a store near a child's ballet class, you can slip out and get it when the child is in class. The earlier you plan the work, the more likely that the little tasks will fit in nicely with the rest of your life, so the whole thing will be less stressful. The key is to break down the work into very small tasks.

Also, a friend suggests you "eat your frog" - apparantly a book title. The idea is to do the thing you're dreading or stressing over FIRST, so that you get it over with and don't stress as much.

I am so neurotic about having procrastinated that I do an amazing job on whatever it was b/c I don't anyone to think that I procrastinated OR if I admit that I did or they know me well enough, I want them to be stunned by what I am able to do at the last minute.

:iagree: I find I work way better under pressure, and so I usually end up under pressure. If it's something huge that takes a lot of time, like doing a holiday dinner for a big family or something, then I schedule it out and spread it out over a few days. But then those days are still pressured, so I still get stuff done.

I've found that many times if I focus on just getting started with one small thing, once I'm going it's much easier to *keep* going. That's pretty much the only way any housework ever gets done around here!

A lot of times I'll set a timer for 10-15 minutes and work until it goes off. Most times, once I get going, I get into the "groove" and can keep going until I'm done. If not, I've at least gotten started and now have "permission" to do something else for a while. Even the fact that I've already started makes it easier to go back to it later.

Also, a friend suggests you "eat your frog" - apparantly a book title. The idea is to do the thing you're dreading or stressing over FIRST, so that you get it over with and don't stress as much.

This reminds me of another quote which I always repeat to myself when things get overwhelming.

Q: How does one eat an elephant?

A: One bite at a time

The idea here being that when there is something so big and overwhelming like eating an elephant, you need to break it down into small bites.

I think it is largely personality, but there is hope for everyone :)

I have found that when I put a big fat "should" onto myself it makes me not want to do something. And when I allow myself to wait till I am in the right mood- rather than forcing myself to do something when I don't feel like it- it is more likely to happen.

Telling myself the kitchen should be clean all the time is shoulding on myself. But if I wait till I am in the mood- it happens. Its not always clean- but it gets clean most days, and i usually even enjoy cleaning it.

Taking on jobs I don't resonate with, that I don't really want to do in the first place, is not something I do much anymore. I do things because I want to do them, because I feel energy for them- and i know myself well enough nowadays not to take on jobs I wont want to do next week.

So is the book sale something you want to do, really? Or something you felt you "should" do?

When I am dreading a job that I really feel I need to do, or it is a step to something I want such as a clean cupboard- I make myself do it for 10 minutes or 15 minutes. It's usually enough to make a momentum that gets me going. BUt I give myself permission to stop after the time is up, too. And do it again the next day- just 10 or 15 minutes. Babysteps. Its how I turned from being a messy procrastinator to a pretty organised person. But, I still dont do anything I really dont want to do. Life is too short and I would rather put my skills and time to things that float my boat.

I have found that when I put a big fat "should" onto myself it makes me not want to do something. And when I allow myself to wait till I am in the right mood- rather than forcing myself to do something when I don't feel like it- it is more likely to happen.

:iagree:

Oh I agree with this so much. There are times when my To do lists are so long and I feel there is so much to do that then I find I am so overwhelmed that I actually cannot do anything. At such times I have learnt to just STOP. Stop checking my lists and just focus on how I am feeling. I relax, go for a walk, do something else and pretty soon I find I can focus better.

I find that the more I struggle with myself telling myself that "I should not be lazy, I should be doing more, I should be more organized, I am letting myself and my family down, my house is a mess, my life is a mess" - the more I fail. I am trying to allow myself to fail sometimes and not beat myself about it. I am learning to just get up, dust myself and forge ahead again instead of making myself feel bad. It seems to be working so far. There are days when I get a lot accomplished and there are days when nothing gets done. But that is okay.

:iagree:

I find that the more I struggle with myself telling myself that "I should not be lazy, I should be doing more, I should be more organized, I am letting myself and my family down, my house is a mess, my life is a mess" - the more I fail.

Failure is definitely one of my problems. I am so afraid to fail and be laughed at that I sometimes wait and wait and wait because of the fear.

So is the book sale something you want to do, really? Or something you felt you "should" do?

Yes and no. I do want to do the book sale. And I do feel like it is something I should do. I brought it up to the church and they have a "you suggest it, you organize it" policy. Luckily, I ran it by another person first so she is helping me a bit.

I also decided this year to get out of my comfort zone. Maybe I shouldn't have started so big with my first project.

I find I work way better under pressure, and so I usually end up under pressure.

I've always found this to be true also. The other day I knew I need to get the house clean. I just waited and waited, paced and paced. Finally in the last 2 hours I got the kids moving on their rooms and I whipped the rest of the house into shape. I don't want to do that anymore. I need to be able to get started instead of pacing and panicking.

I tell the kids to do this and I try to do this but sometimes the panic takes over or the blank mind. I guess I really need to try harder.

I'll make my list for today now. Maybe I'll have some tea while I do it and look for some procrastinator books.

Thanks! Kelly

Failure is definitely one of my problems. I am so afraid to fail and be laughed at that I sometimes wait and wait and wait because of the fear.

Yes and no. I do want to do the book sale. And I do feel like it is something I should do. I brought it up to the church and they have a "you suggest it, you organize it" policy. Luckily, I ran it by another person first so she is helping me a bit.

I also decided this year to get out of my comfort zone. Maybe I shouldn't have started so big with my first project.

I've always found this to be true also. The other day I knew I need to get the house clean. I just waited and waited, paced and paced. Finally in the last 2 hours I got the kids moving on their rooms and I whipped the rest of the house into shape. I don't want to do that anymore. I need to be able to get started instead of pacing and panicking.

I tell the kids to do this and I try to do this but sometimes the panic takes over or the blank mind. I guess I really need to try harder.

I'll make my list for today now. Maybe I'll have some tea while I do it and look for some procrastinator books.

Thanks! Kelly

I can relate with everything that you have said, because I am that way also. Regarding getting out of your comfort zone, I have found that I really need to be in a good place mentally and emotionally before taking a big step. If I am second guessing myself, anxious to create a good impression and afraid that I will look like a fool then I am so stressed that I cannot take any action. This has happened to me.

It was only when I gave myself permission to make mistakes and stopped criticizing myself and stopped running a constant negative tape in my head that I was able to move forward.

I have horrible ADD. I seriously forget everything unless I do it immediately. That being said, I find that taking Xenadrine or Hydroxycut (over-the-counter diet pills) helps me SO much! I just take 1 per day in the morning (the normal dose is 9 a day :eek:) and find I can focus so much better on getting my tasks done instead of finding excuses to not do it.

I wanted to reply yesterday, but kept putting it off...:D

Seriously, I get overwhelmed sometimes. It helps me to set a timer for a few minutes so I can start. Sometimes it's as simple as cleaning the kitchen, sometimes it's facing something much bigger.

Getting started seems the hardest part for me. It took me about 5 years to totally clean my bedroom--suddenly, I just did it. I think because I had a bigger reason, which I don't want to get into.

But the timer is a place to start.

I am a horrible procrastinator. I want to change it but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know all of you super organized people will say, "just do it" but I'm not sure if it is that easy.

Kelly

I can completely relate. I feel very foggy-headed most of the time and completely overwhelmed by even small tasks. Which inevitably leads to them being big tasks (not cleaning the livingroom when it's a little messy leads to a really, really messy livingroom!). The only thing I've found is caffeine. It lifts that fog and suddenly I SEE all that I need to do and WANT to get it done and KNOW exactly what needs to be done. I don't want caffeine every day, though! So I don't know. I don't think it's just a matter of willpower, although that plays a large role. When I am feeling foggy, but have managed to summon the willpower, I end up cleaning one.item.at.a.time cause I can't wrap my brain around gathering a whole armful to walk to a room and put away all at once! Unless I'm caffeinated, then I'm a whirlwind of efficiency!

I'll be watching this thread:)

I'm listening to an audio book on procrastination and one of the first things he talks about are panics and mental blocks. It is so good to know I'm not alone and a complete failure.

Maybe I'll have my dh listen to this so he knows I'm not alone and a failure.

Kelly

there are lots of things that can help. one of them is not to globalize. so just because you have one part of you you would like to change so that you can feel better does not make you a failure. there are bound to be other parts of you that are fabulous!

so around the book sale, maybe choose one piece of it.... maybe the price tags or the signs?..... that you can do NOW. no lists, no anything else. step away from the computer;) and make one sign. set the timer for 15 minutes. it doesn't need to be perfect.

then, do something else. an hour from now, set the timer for 15 minutes and do one more thing. it doesn't need to be perfect, either. ;)

if you are an extrovert, invite someone over to do the third thing with you....

just commit yourself to spending the first 15 minutes of every hour doing one thing for the book sale.

and remember, the book sale really can't fail; it can just have levels of success. at the very worst, folks get together and have a good time. at the very best, folks get together, have a good time, and you sell lots of books. :grouphug:

if you haven't found flylady yet, she is a great help...

ann

I can completely relate. I feel very foggy-headed most of the time and completely overwhelmed by even small tasks. Which inevitably leads to them being big tasks (not cleaning the livingroom when it's a little messy leads to a really, really messy livingroom!). The only thing I've found is caffeine. It lifts that fog and suddenly I SEE all that I need to do and WANT to get it done and KNOW exactly what needs to be done. I don't want caffeine every day, though! So I don't know. I don't think it's just a matter of willpower, although that plays a large role. When I am feeling foggy, but have managed to summon the willpower, I end up cleaning one.item.at.a.time cause I can't wrap my brain around gathering a whole armful to walk to a room and put away all at once! Unless I'm caffeinated, then I'm a whirlwind of efficiency!

I'll be watching this thread:)

I am definitely better when caffeinated :tongue_smilie:

so around the book sale, maybe choose one piece of it...

The part of the book sale that is stressing me is the fact that I'm in charge and in charge of failure if it doesn't work. I'm not worried about pricing and signs. That part is just fine. I even got through all my books and such to get ready for it.

The biggest thing for me was organizing sellers and tables and how will we set it up and will people come and buy stuff and etc, etc, etc... Another thing that stressed me about the book sale was sending the emails. I can't figure out why. I send emails all the time. I think I was afraid that the more I got into it the more I was in charge and the more I was in charge of success or failure.

I sent out my last book sale email. We set up in a couple of days and after Saturday I don't have to be afraid to open my email account.

Failure and being laughed at scare me so much.

Kelly

Kelly

I procrastinate all the time. I work better if I wait til the last minute because then I just have to get it done, and no time to care about perfectionism or anything like that. If I start a 10 page paper the night before it is due, it'll take me two hours max (and I get A's and B's on it for my college courses). If I start it a week before it is due, it'll take me about 4-6 hours and I may get a B if I'm lucky. If I wait til the last minute, then I have no choice but to be focused on the task at hand. The same thing happens with cleaning, if I wait til right before I have visitors, it'll take maybe 30 minutes to vaccuum, declutter, and scrub (counters, bathtub, toilet) the entire apartment. If I do it any earlier than an hour before people arrive, it'll take forever and I just won't get it done.

I think procrastination is a good thing. :001_smile:

I find I work way better under pressure, and so I usually end up under pressure..

:iagree: I'm the same way.

I'll answer this later.

:lol:

Breaking things down helps me. For example if I am needing to clean the kitchen cabinets out I will break it down to 1 cabinet a day or maybe 1 section of cabinets. When I am finished with that 1 I am finished with that task for the day.

You might need to say to yourself I am going to deal with 1 email an hour. When finished with it leave the computer and do something else.

I've tried lists, and schedules, and trying to do certain things at certain times - nothing helps. The only thing that helps is the deadline, and I'll do it at the last second so that it's done by the deadline. Sometimes I force myself into situations where I have deadlines so that I will do certain things that I want to do, but won't do within my own motivation, but somehow I still finagle and bend the rules etc. so that I continue to procrastinate. I think for me it's because I'm a perfectionist. I don't want to do it unless everything is perfect in doing it, and it never is, so I wait until the last second and then I just plow through to get it done. I also have those panic attacks when I think about the things that I need to do, but I'm putting off until the last second: taxes, filing certain papers for our business, filing insurance papers, etc. I put the deadline on my Microsoft Outlook, then I do it usually the day before, or the night before, sometimes at 11:00 PM, when the deadline is midnight, and I file it online so that I can do it at the last second.

I don't think there's a cure for doing things sooner if you are a serious procrastinator. I haven't found one. Accepting myself is what I'm trying to do now, and live in peace with the way I am, and the things that are on my list. Peace and serenity now! That's the ticket. To get peace, I've been saying/using the "Jesus Prayer." I say it before bed, in the middle of the night if I wake up in a panic, whenever things engross my mind and I can't take it, in the shower when all kinds of thoughts tend to invade me, while I'm putting on make-up or doing hair... If you want to know about the Jesus Prayer, please PM me and I'll explain it to you and how to do it.

I am definitely better when caffeinated :tongue_smilie:

The part of the book sale that is stressing me is the fact that I'm in charge and in charge of failure if it doesn't work. I'm not worried about pricing and signs. That part is just fine. I even got through all my books and such to get ready for it.

The biggest thing for me was organizing sellers and tables and how will we set it up and will people come and buy stuff and etc, etc, etc... Another thing that stressed me about the book sale was sending the emails. I can't figure out why. I send emails all the time. I think I was afraid that the more I got into it the more I was in charge and the more I was in charge of success or failure.

I sent out my last book sale email. We set up in a couple of days and after Saturday I don't have to be afraid to open my email account.

Failure and being laughed at scare me so much.

Kelly

That definitely sounds like perfectionisms.

A good way to deal with that, I find, is to imagine what is the worst thing that could happen in the circumstance. In your case, it might be hardly anyone turning up and very few sales. Can you allow yourself to imagine that and find a way to be ok with it- be ok with failure- so that you can then have a sense of play about it and keep it in perspective?

I think we have a bit of a problem with failure in our society- as if, somehow, failure at something is so shameful. Bot really, its just life- failure is a normal part of life. If it doesn't work...well, it really is ok.

I had to go through that last year when I ran some classes and hardly anyone turned up. It was intense for my ego :) But what to do. I still learned a lot from the whole experience.

I have issues with procrastination too (web-surfing is one of my favorite ways to do it), but I have found this book helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Things-Done-Stress-Free-Productivity/dp/0142000280/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303948705&sr=8-1

I'm sure it's been recommended here before. A good dose of caffeine helps me too, although I try not to go overboard there.

I'm a terrible procrastinator. My best way to deal with it is take on more stuff. My house is only ever sparkling, spotlessly clean at exam time or when I have a major assignment due in. Likewise, I spend so much more time playing board games with Peter when the dishes are high. Baking only happens if I'm trying to avoid another job etc etc etc.

If you want something done, ask a busy person. There's always one chore to procrastinate with. :001_smile:

At the moment, travelling, I have no where near enough chores. Hence, I'm sitting on here procrastinating in a completely unproductive, but fun manner.

:lol:

I just have to give myself a time. "Okay, I can play on the computer until 9:30, then I have to finish cleaning." Then, when the time comes, I just slam shut the computer (or whatever else I'm using to procrastinate) and get to it before my brain has time to process what I'm doing.

I have to do the opposite. I tell myself I can't use the computer until I've done A, B, and C.

Timers can be helpful. I use them for DS a lot, but I also use them for myself. They help me to keep from spending too much time doing something I can get lost in (like being online) and from getting agitated about something I don't want to do (like cleaning). If I set a timer for 10-15 minutes and tell myself I only need to clean until the timer goes off, that's a lot less intimidating than feeling like I need to clean until my house is spotless.

I love lists. I'm also a fan of putting really, really easy things on my to-do list, to get a sense of accomplishment. I try to break down what needs to be done into the tiniest possible steps, and include things like "eat breakfast" and "get dressed" on my daily to-do list. That way I can at least manage to get something checked off, and that usually inspires me to do more. On a really rough day, you can always write down "wake up" and check that off right away. ;)

The trick I learned in grad school was to try to procrastinate as productively as possible. So, if I don't feel like housecleaning and want to spend time on the computer, I at least try to use that time doing something productive, like doing homeschool planning for DS. If I don't feel like grading papers, I'll clean the bathroom. If I don't feel like replying to e-mails, I'll exercise. If I don't feel like exercising, I'll do the finishing work on a knitting project. Usually things that I'd normally never want to do (like cleaning the bathroom) start to seem really appealing when I've got something to do I want to do even less (like grading papers), so I try to channel that. I spent a lot of time working on course prep and doing housecleaning when I was in grad school, instead of writing papers. The papers did eventually get done, and at least I was doing something else I needed to do.

I do not make schedules. Routines work better for me than schedules. Telling myself that I'm going to do things 1-4 before lunch works a lot better than telling myself I'm going to do thing 1 at 9, thing 2 at 9:30, thing 3 at 10, and thing 4 at 11. I NEVER stick to schedules, and I just end up feeling defeated and like I've ruined the day.

Edited by twoforjoy