Menu

s/o Amazon thread..Should he get a GED?

Personally, I feel as though it undermines your authority in choosing to homeschool. A lot of people look at a GED as an inferior accomplishment to high school graduation, and I wouldn't want my student "tarred" with that brush.

BTW: Not trying to insult anyone who does choose the GED route. It's just not ideal, IMO.

I think it is a crock to require homeschoolers to get a GED. GED generally means drop-out. Why would anyone want drop-out attached to their name when they truly finished four years of high school. Kind of counter productive if you ask me.

Also a slap in the face to the kid that worked hard to graduate. "Here, go take the GED even though you worked like a dog through the last 4 years to get into a good college."

Yeah, that's the answer.

Funny that this thread is happening right now as 2 of my children are taking their GED tests this week. They wanted to get it to prove that they could do it. And for my 16 year old, to her it means she can move on to the junior college knowing she is a "graduate". Even though I told her she could attend the local JC without it. :001_huh: The JC they are taking the tests through is putting on a graduation for the people who pass. Which I think is awesome! I know alot of people have said for years that the GED is less than, but I dont know. I have actually heard that these days the GED is thought of as equivalent or better with our educational system in the state that its in. Not trying to start an argument or anything. So.... I think its a good idea too to have just one more thing to document that your children have learned something all the years you have been homeschooling or unschooling- whatever you do. :001_smile: You never know who might come knocking at the door.

I think it is a crock to require homeschoolers to get a GED. GED generally means drop-out. Why would anyone want drop-out attached to their name when they truly finished four years of high school. Kind of counter productive if you ask me.

Also a slap in the face to the kid that worked hard to graduate. "Here, go take the GED even though you worked like a dog through the last 4 years to get into a good college."

Yeah, that's the answer.

:iagree: No offense to others who chose the GED path, it's not for us. DH has a GED, this is not what he wants for ds. There is still a stigma for GED in our area.

One of my sisters homeschooled in Illinois and my parents made her take the GED. Honestly, they had her take it because they did not do enough research into homeschool graduation requirements for IL. I'm not going to have my kids take the GED. We're just going to graduate them from our homeschool.

OK, back to the sister with the GED. She ended up graduating from Vanderbilt School of Law and starting her own law practice. :lol: So, she turned out fine. ;)

My youngest sister wasn't homeschooled, but she went to a small Christian school that was closing at the end of her junior year. She didn't want to go to another school for one year, but she didn't know what to do. She came with me to one of our state universities when I was going to find out about their graduate programs. The admissions counselor started talking to my sister and asking about her plans for college (of course :tongue_smilie:). My sister explained her situation, and the counselor ended up talking her into taking the GED and going to college early. So, she did. She is occasionally embarrassed to mention she has a GED, but she has a Master's degree and is working on her dissertation for her doctorate, so it didn't really hold her back at all.

My kids have GED's because there are just too many hoops in NY to jump through to get into the cc without one. When they applied to their 4 year schools, they never even mentioned their GED ...but did send in their homeschool transcript along with their cc transcript. No questions were asked....none. They also received nice scholarships upon transfer from the cc.

The GED in no way impeded their college or after college life...and it made it simple to move into the cc. Definitely not a hill to die on as far as I am concerned.

Faithe

Yeah, that's the answer.

:iagree:

If a student goes on to complete college, it won't matter in the long run, but it definitely can matter (in a practical way) to students who do not go on to get a college degree.

In my area, you often have to have a hs diploma in order to get hired or get into a training program. GED will not work. Private school diplomas, even from an unaccredited school, will work fine, but you do have to have an actual diploma to submit (they don't just ask you). Now, home schoolers here can register as private schools, and this is one reason it can be important to give your high school a name that sounds "official" and that won't create curiosity when someone reads it on the diploma. I use my school name as often as possible, and it now shows up on lists of schools in the area :D

If students register under the home study option, they can get a state seal of some type for their diploma (basically verifying an approved course of study). The state will not actually issue the diploma in either case.

This is very important to students who do enter/complete college, as lacking the diploma will knock you out of the running for most of the jobs that actually pay a living wage, and potentially allow you to move up the ladder. I anticipate both of my kids going on to college, but one never knows, and they will both have a high school diploma.

Taking the GED might be a problem for students wanting to go directly from high school into the workforce. Once a student has a college degree the fact that the GED was taken becomes far less important.

My son did take the GED because in NM home school graduates are required to do so in order to be eligible for state scholarship funds. There was a bill introduced in the last legislative session to forbid what is essentially a requirement imposed by the state's public education department. Some believe the practice to be questionable because no such requirement is mentioned in the state statues, but the bill languished and did not pass.

My son's plan, if asked, is to check both Diploma and GED explain the administrative rule in effect at the time. There might be issues if he were to apply to grad school or for a first post college full-time job out of state, but I'm not expecting that to happen. In NM universities and potential employers are aware of the situation and ds has impressive standardized test scores, excellent grades, and recommendations to back up his academic record.

I was not happy about the requirement, but our research turned up red flags only for students directly entering the workforce.

ETA: Home schools in NM are not considered to be private schools. That's sometimes good because we're exempt from the regs imposed on private schools. The downside is that we're not entitled to any official stamp of approval. Not that many people are impressed by the blessing of the NM educational establishment, but I digress...

Edited by Martha in NM

My problem with the GED in Michigan is that the test is well known to be less than basic. It does not test to a high school level. Technically, it supposed to show achievement at the 10th grade level but the level it tests is exceedingly remedial. The reading is not much beyond 5th grade literacy, only basic arithmetic and one or very easy two step word problems, etc. I've seen harder grammar questions on the 5th and 6th grade ITBS than on the GED - one of my friends regularly proctors the GED in our local school district.

So, in most cases it's almost a blight on the resume to take the GED. My dad runs a heating and cooling business and will no longer consider applications from GED only applicants and since our local cc is an absolute joke, he won't accept that classes from this cc demonstrate the GED applicants abilities. Now, if they have four year college courses or classes from the very fine community college 1.5 hrs. from here, that's different.

Given the prevailing negativity in our area towards the GED, I would never my children take that test. But, that's because I'm in Michigan and in an area with very strong feelings against it. I'm sure other states are different and this is not an issue.

Faith

So why not have both? Have the 'diploma' that your folks created for you at the end of your homeschooling years, AND write the GED… then when you apply for something that doesn't require the GED, you can use your hs diploma/portfolio/whatever…when you apply for something that does require the GED, use that. Happy people on both sides.

So why not have both? Have the 'diploma' that your folks created for you at the end of your homeschooling years, AND write the GED… then when you apply for something that doesn't require the GED, you can use your hs diploma/portfolio/whatever…when you apply for something that does require the GED, use that. Happy people on both sides.

Because forms often ask if you have a GED. It's a yes or no question. If you say no, then you are lying. When it comes to entering the military it is a felony to lie on your application.

I'm not quite here yet but I'm thinking about the future. Wouldn't joining an ISP (Independent Study Program) through a school which gives diplomas solve the GED problem? We have private schools here in CA where I can enroll my (future) HS student. They take care of all his paperwork and issue a diploma when he graduates. I still choose his curriculum, etc. but I would need to show samples of work completed once a semester (which is the trade-off.)

I don't want my children to get a GED. Right or wrong, there is a stigma attached to it. My dh's VP will not hire a person with a GED, even if they went on to get a college degree. The VP's thinking is, public education is free, if you can't put in the work to get a free diploma in the first place, he doesn't want to employ you.

ETA - I see FaithManor mentions in her post about the feelings in Michigan toward the GED, I'm also in Michigan. So this could just be a Michigan thing.

Because forms often ask if you have a GED. It's a yes or no question. If you say no, then you are lying. When it comes to entering the military it is a felony to lie on your application.

Oh really? I've never seen anything that asked *specifically* if you had a GED - I've seen lots of applications that ask if you have your grade twelve, or ask something like "what is the highest level of education that you have?" (and GED'ers can say yes/12 to that) ….but I've never seen anything that asked outright as to whether you "have a GED". How annoying. :glare:

I have my GED, as does my husband. Neither of us has ever experienced any "stigma" because of it… the opposite, in fact. Most reactions tend to be of the "good for you" sort.

My dh's VP will not hire a person with a GED, even if they went on to get a college degree. The VP's thinking is, public education is free, if you can't put in the work to get a free diploma in the first place, he doesn't want to employ you.

Yeah, because a person's childhood is a great way to discern what sort of adult employee they'll be. Good grief.

Oh really? I've never seen anything that asked *specifically* if you had a GED - I've seen lots of applications that ask if you have your grade twelve, or ask something like "what is the highest level of education that you have?" (and GED'ers can say yes/12 to that) ….but I've never seen anything that asked outright as to whether you "have a GED". How annoying. :glare:

I have my GED, as does my husband. Neither of us has ever experienced any "stigma" because of it… the opposite, in fact. Most reactions tend to be of the "good for you" sort.

I'm guessing that neither you nor your husband are US military. I believe it IS asked on their forms and IS a detriment if you have a GED rather than a diploma. (I have a GED also, but I also was raised in the military)

Oh really? I've never seen anything that asked *specifically* if you had a GED - I've seen lots of applications that ask if you have your grade twelve, or ask something like "what is the highest level of education that you have?" (and GED'ers can say yes/12 to that) ….but I've never seen anything that asked outright as to whether you "have a GED". How annoying.

I'm guessing that neither you nor your husband are US military. I believe it IS asked on their forms and IS a detriment if you have a GED rather than a diploma. (I have a GED also, but I also was raised in the military)

Nope, we aren't. I wasn't doubting her though (why would I?) ~ I was just commenting in surprise, as I've never come across specific questioning like that.

As it happens, I'm a former brat myself - my father just retired from the Canadian Air Force a few years ago. It wasn't a career for me though .. I have WAY too many problems with authority figures. :p

Nope, we aren't. I wasn't doubting her though (why would I?) ~ I was just commenting in surprise, as I've never come across specific questioning like that.

As it happens, I'm a former brat myself - my father just retired from the Canadian Air Force a few years ago. It wasn't a career for me though .. I have WAY too many problems with authority figures. :p

You, too?! :lol: I think it's a common problem with BRATS.

I don't want my children to get a GED. Right or wrong, there is a stigma attached to it. My dh's VP will not hire a person with a GED, even if they went on to get a college degree. The VP's thinking is, public education is free, if you can't put in the work to get a free diploma in the first place, he doesn't want to employ you.

I dont want to offend but I think that is a pretty ignorant position for that VP to take. I mean what does free education have to do with the persons level of intelligence? Sorry, it really just doesnt make sense to me. Just my .02 worth.