Menu

Historical films, accurate or not

that folks might recommend for history studies? Historical fiction or non fiction, all good to me. It's ok if they are not accurate, we can talk about that.

Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman
The Patriot
Roots
Amsitaed
All of the Elizabeth I films
Joan of Arc films
Old movies like The Robe, etc
Shakespeare in Love

Gone With the Wind!

And it's not a movie for every one, and screen it before you show it to your kids (pot jokes aplenty), but "Dick" is the funniest, um, "historical" (for lack of a better word) movie that I've ever seen. But I'm a huge politics nerd with a soft spot for fluffy teen comedies (which it really isn't... you have to have seen "All the Presidents Men" to really appreciate the true brilliance.)

Gone With the Wind!

And it's not a movie for every one, and screen it before you show it to your kids (pot jokes aplenty), but "Dick" is the funniest, um, "historical" (for lack of a better word) movie that I've ever seen. But I'm a huge politics nerd with a soft spot for fluffy teen comedies (which it really isn't... you have to have seen "All the Presidents Men" to really appreciate the true brilliance.)

OK, the first time I read this I thought you meant there were pot jokes in "Gone with the Wind" and I was going to have to watch it again! I'd really like to be able to delete this reply so you don't have to know how silly I am, but I can't, so there you have it. :lol:

We've been focused on US History mostly this year. Some that we enjoyed or I plan on using still.

Gone with the Wind (ds10 loved this)

The Great Escape

October Sky

Little Women

Apollo 13

Rudy - just a feel good film

Rescue Dawn - parental preview advised on this one

I love A Man for All Seasons - about St. Thomas More

The Song of Bernadette

The Diary of Anne Frank

Cromwell (Not a historical figure that I like, but it portrays him fairly)

The Mission

All Quiet on the Western Front

Sargent Yorke

Victoria and Albert

I think pretty much most of the BBC movies based on novels by Dickens and Austen are a good look into the past.

The newer BBC documentary on the History of Britian is exceptional.

Here are some of my favorite historical movies.

Gods and Generals

Gettysburg

Robin Hood (Errol Flynn & Olivia de Havilland)

Cromwell~ I love this movie!

Martin Luther

God's Outlaw

A Man for All Seasons~ I am not a fan of Sir Thomas Moor and don't think the move portrays him as he was, but this is a really good movie :)

Those are some I can think of at the moment.

Gone With the Wind!

I saw "Dick" a few years ago. It is hilarious. I'll have to watch it again.

I recently watched "Something the Lord Made" (2004). I highly recommend it. It is a story about the first Africa American heart surgon in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. The story details how his rights changed over the years and makes personal the struggles that African Americans faced. He was a very noble character that I had not heard of before. It is unrated on Netflix and, aside from a few shots of heart surgery on dogs and people, it is clean. I plan on using it with my kids when we get to that point.

Although extremely violent, Gladiator did a remarkable job depicting Ancient Rome, gave clues to its eventual downfall and showed the dynamics surrounding the opposition between Caeser and the Senate.

Others:

Amistad (slavery)

Pappilion (oppression in a French prison)

Schindler's List (Holocaust)

The Pianist (Holocaust)

Dances with Wolves (Native Americans on the Great Plains)

Cinderalla Man (this movie really opened my eyes about the Great Depression and made me so grateful for everything I have)

Henry V (Shakespeare)

Gallipoli (Australian soldiers sent to die during WWI)

Malcolm X (biography)

Grapes of Wrath (Great Depression- Okies in California)

Das Boot (subtitled- WWII German Sub life)

The Hunt for Red October (Cold War submarine thriller)

Empire of the Sun (Story of boy in prisoner of war camp during WWII)

The Last Emperor (Japan period piece)

Beyond Rangoon (heart-wrenching depiction of Burma's struggle for freedom)

Hotel Rwanda (recent history)

The New World (IMO this was a very accurate portrayal of what it would have been like for the first Europeans in North America)

To Kill a Mockingbird (race relations in the South)

JFK (Complete fiction but does make you wonder, "what if?")

Charlie's War (haven't seen it, but want to- may not even be out on dVD yet)

Born on the Fourth of July (Vietnam Vet comes home paralyzed)

The Madness of King George (fantastic, funny and, oddly, true)

The Good Shepherd (all about the formation of the CIA and how disfunctional it really was/is)

Bridge Over the River Kwai (Life of British soldiers in a Japanese prisonar of war camp)

Roots (slavery- takes many hours to watch, but well worth it)

The Fastest Indian (true story of New Zealander who comes to America to break the land speed record)

NOTE: Not all of teh above would be suitable for any age group so make sure you look up the ratings before allowing small children to view.

Some have mentioned these, but...

Pride and Prejudice (I'm a sucker for the whole A&E series):001_wub:

The Scarlet Pimpernel (Egad!)--the one with Jane Seymour as Madame Blakeney

A Tale of Two Cities

The Great Escape (you'll hum the theme song for weeks after viewing!)

The Patriot (not so accurate, but fun)

The Sound of Music (does that count as "historical"? :tongue_smilie:)

Oh, I know there are more...but that's all I can think of right now.

Does anyone know of a good movie version of Les Miserables?

Can you tell my current fascination is with the French Revolution? I also enjoy WWII dramas.

"The Crossing" with Jeff Daniels, portraying General George Washington.

It's an incredible movie.

Would my son enjoy it? He likes "military stuff", and we're studying the revolution right now. How is Washington portrayed?

Wendi

This could be a very long list.

Ancient world:

Troy

The 300 Spartans, 300 (compare/contrast)

That Mel Gibson Jesus movie, older Biblical movies (10 Commandments, etc.)

Caligula (okay, probably not appropriate until MAYBE senior year of high school)

Spartacus

Gladiator

Cleopatra (good for history of film as well as history--it was the most expensive movie ever made at the time)

Life of Brian, History of the World Part I (because you gotta laugh)

Medieval:

Any good Shakespeare movie (We favor Kenneth Brannaugh around here)

Tristan and Isolde

Excalibur

Robin Hood (several versions)

Braveheart

Crusade

Elizabeth

Lady Jane Grey

The Other Boleyn Girl

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Early modern/renaissance:

William Wallace

Girl With a Pearl Earring

Shogun

Colonial era:

The Patriot

Horatio Hornblower miniseries

Master and Commander

That Tom Cruise Samurai movie

Civil War/19th century:

North and South

Kenshin (Anime)

Dances with Wolves

Les Miserables (the recent live action movie isn't bad)

Paint my Wagon

2 Mules for Sister Kate

Tombstone

Gone with the Wind

20th Century:

Fiddler on the Roof

Lawrence of Arabia

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (esp. the ones where he's off fighting in Mexico and WWI)

The Grapes of Wrath

Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima

Saving Private Ryan

Forrest Gump

We Were Soldiers

M.A.S.H. (The movie)

Graveyard of the Fireflies (Anime--warning, saddest, most depressing movie ever made)

City of Joy

Kundun

I could probably come up with plenty more, but I have to get to work!

Soldier of Orange (older...there is some torture), The Emigrants and The New Land, Breaker Morant.

Read up on all of the above. They are all good movies, but I don't know the age you are hitting on. I am less squeamish about real things being shown to children than I am shoot 'em up violence and every old bag of a man getting an 18 year old hanging off of them.

Dances with Wolves (Native Americans on the Great Plains)

I do enjoy this movie, but at the same time I can't ever quite get into the full mood of the period because Stands With a Fist (Mary...whats-her-name? McDonnell?) has the most superb and unIndian-like mane of flowing locks that I've ever seen. Of course Indian hair in general is very beautiful--thick, straight, dark. But no Plains Indian ever had hair like Mary's, who always looks like she just stepped out of a salon with a perfect "messy-do". So I watch the movie and keep getting distracted from the plot by thoughts of her hair.

I do enjoy this movie, but at the same time I can't ever quite get into the full mood of the period because Stands With a Fist (Mary...whats-her-name? McDonnell?) has the most superb and unIndian-like mane of flowing locks that I've ever seen. Of course Indian hair in general is very beautiful--thick, straight, dark. But no Plains Indian ever had hair like Mary's, who always looks like she just stepped out of a salon with a perfect "messy-do". So I watch the movie and keep getting distracted from the plot by thoughts of her hair.

But she is not a Native American in the movie. She is a white woman who, as a child, was taken in by the Pawnee after her parents were killed.

But she is not a Native American in the movie. She is a white woman who, as a child, was taken in by the Pawnee after her parents were killed.

Yes, but that doesn't explain her hairstyle. Why on Earth wasn't it styled in Pawnee fashion, just like her clothes, etc.? It is a bit distracting.

Anyway, I thought of another excellent movie:

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

It's not even about war or violence!

And a miniseries: Roots (would make a good contrast to Gone with the Wind)

Many of the movies I listed I wouldn't want a child younger than high school or close to it to see. If I was going to do a middle school list it would include more of the older movies, Shakespeare, etc., and less of the very realistic movies like Saving Private Ryan. I'd also include things like American Girl movies (the one with the colonial girl was cute, for example), a classic Shirley Temple movie or two, a good version of Little Women (there are several to choose from), and a WWII movie made in the 1950's, such as Operation Petticoat.

I love this thread. My kids watch movies only (no t.v.) and are only allowed to do so on weekends. About every other weekend, I try to slip something of my own choosing into their selections. But, there are too many here that I don't know enough about to determine (a) age appropriateness and (b) historical timeframe.

I'm sure I could go to a review on each one and figure it out, but if any of you (Ravin?) feels inspired to make some kind of list within a list -- that would be so incredible.

Obviously, I can't recommend many of these to my 13 and 11 year old dds. Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Still -- anyone feeling that industrious? :blush:

I had DH (our resident movie guy) make some suggestions. As far as age appropriateness, that varies a lot depending on the individual kid's temperament and family's limits/rules. My DD, for example, at 4 1/2 watched quite a bit of Troy with me, which is violent. But aside from her confusion about there not being a clear good guy/bad guy (as in other more violent movies she's watched with me, such as Lord of the Rings), it wasn't anything that bothered her overmuch. I don't think I'd let her watch 300, though.

The only one I put an age appropriateness disclaimer on is Caligula, which is rated X in the version we have, though there is an R rated version as well (though DH says if you're going to watch it, might as well watch the X version). There is also an R rated miniseries of Caligula that was almost as good. Having seen the X-rated version, I'd say that face it, it's an X-rated piece of history. I don't think I'd let my DD see it underage; maybe at 17, in high school, but that's a big MAYBE. I don't mind teens seeing sex, I don't mind even relatively young kids seeing movies with well-placed violence (such as a historical war movie), but combining the two isn't great for the psyche and I doubt I'll ever let her watch much in the way of slasher flicks, if for no other reason than that I don't want to watch that sort of thing myself. KWIM?

Here's my revised list:

Ancient world:

Troy (Inspired by the Iliad)

The 300 Spartans, 300 (compare/contrast)

Passion of the Christ

Ten Commandments

Caligula (okay, probably not appropriate until MAYBE senior year of high school)

Spartacus

Gladiator

A.D. (DH) (Set in 1st century Rome)

Ben Hur (DH)

Hero (DH) (set in China)

Cleopatra (good for history of film as well as history--it was the most expensive movie ever made at the time)

Life of Brian, History of the World Part I (because you gotta laugh)

Medieval:

Any good Shakespeare movie (We favor Kenneth Brannaugh around here)

DH: Henry V

Tristan and Isolde (early medieval England)

Beowulf and Grendel (more accurate to story) or Beowulf (DH)

Excalibur (Based on Arthurian legends)

First Knight (DH) (Based on Arthurian legends)

Don Quixote (DH) (Medieval Spain)

Robin Hood (several versions--Errol Flynn, Robin and Marion with Sean Connery, or Prince of Thieves w/ Kevin Costner)

Braveheart (Late Medieval Scotland)

Crusade

Elizabeth

Lady Jane Grey

Anne of a Thousand Days (about Anne Boleyn) (DH)

The Other Boleyn Girl

Marco Polo (DH) (miniseries)

Early modern/renaissance:

William Wallace

Girl With a Pearl Earring

Shogun

Marie Antoinette (DH)

Brotherhood of the Wolf (for time period setting, not so much actual plot) (DH)

Colonial/Napoleonic era:

The Scarlett Pimpernel

The Three Musketeers

The Man in the Iron Mask

The Patriot

Longitude (DH)

Horatio Hornblower miniseries

Master and Commander

The Last Samurai (DH)

The Last Emperor (DH)

U.S. Civil War/ late 19th century:

North and South

Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X (Anime series/movies)

Dances with Wolves

Les Miserables (the recent live action movie isn't bad)

Paint my Wagon

2 Mules for Sister Kate

Tombstone

Shackleton (DH)

Gone with the Wind

Roots

Gettysburg (DH)

Gods and Generals (DH)

Blazing Saddles (because you still need to laugh)

20th/21st Century:

Fiddler on the Roof

Lawrence of Arabia

Ghandi (DH)

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (esp. the ones where he's off fighting in Mexico and WWI)

The Grapes of Wrath

The Queen (DH)

Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Tora! Tora! Tora!

The Tuskegee Airmen (DH)

Fat Man and Little Boy (DH)

Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima

Saving Private Ryan

Forrest Gump

Of Mice and Men

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The Color Purple (DH)

From Earth to the Moon (DH)

Mississippi Burning (DH)

Band of Brothers (DH)

We Were Soldiers

A Shirley Temple movie or two

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Evita (DH)

M.A.S.H. (The movie)

Grave of the Fireflies (Anime--warning, saddest, most depressing movie ever made)

City of Joy

Courage Under Fire (DH)

Apollo 13

A classic

Malcolm X (DH)

JFK (DH says that's pushing it)

Platoon (DH)

Full Metal Jacket (DH)

Apocalypse Now (DH)

Born on the 4th of July (DH)

Kundun

Shindler's List (DH)

NOT PEARL HARBOR (DH)

Patton (DH)

United 93 (DH)

Jarhead (DH)

Stop-Loss

Hotel Rwanda (DH)

I had DH (our resident movie guy) make some suggestions. As far as age appropriateness, that varies a lot depending on the individual kid's temperament and family's limits/rules. ....[snip]

Yes, I agree about the age thing. I have friends who, like you, have kids who could watch violent (ie: LoTR) films at young ages without issue, but my kids would have been freaked by that stuff before they reached a certain age. Shoot, my oldest wouldn't even watch Snow White until she was about 8! :D

Anyway, thanks for this!!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

We haven't done too many movies to purposely tie in with history so far, but I do have several planned for the coming year (year 4 in the history cycle). My dds are almost 9 and 6, so this is more a young kid list.

Gone With The Wind

Gettysburg (dds watched it with dh last winter and loved it)

A Little Princess

Kit Kittredge

The Sound of Music

I'm loving everyone else's lists and may find a few more titles to add to mine!

These have probably been mentioned, but I liked:

Gone With the Wind

Glory

Schindler's List

I Am David

Hidalgo

Gladiator

Alexander

Braveheart

The New World (Christian Bale)

Amistad

The Color Purple

Changeling

Pride and Prejudice

Sense and Sensibility

Saving Private Ryan

Animal Farm

The Grapes of Wrath

Amelie

Atonement

Pearl Harbor

Titanic

Troy

A League of Their Own

Clash of the Titans

... and probably a lot more that I can't think of right now...

... these sparked interest in History for my kids:

National Treasure and sequel

Night at the Museum and sequel

Disney's Pocahontas :)

...for social history, I like the "House" series' such as "Frontier House", "Victorian House", etc.

For lower logic age kids the Disney movie "Johnny Tremain" is great and about the Revolutionary War period in Boston.

"The 6 Wives of Henry VIII" was great.

I recommend previewing "Schindler's List" but thought it was excellent.

Some really like "Exodus"--about the founding of the modern nation of Israel. I think that the book FAR exceeds the movie, but the movie is OK.

What about "Grapes of Wrath" or "The Deerslayer"? Both outstanding, probably just fine for teens.