Menu

Whine: My DD cannot fit into her dresses

This is the 9 year old. This sums up the problem we are having:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070423104000AAv1QVO

She wears a size 16 in jeans, her size 16 dresses are too tight in the chest. Her shoes are a women's 6-6 1/2. Which really stinks because she loves the size 3 little girl shoes she wore last year. There is nothing cute for her to wear. Fluffy little girl dresses won't fit in any size. :( But that is what I bought her to wear to our religious meetings this spring, because it is what she prefers, and they fit her back when I bought them.

She can wear a size 12 in boys. Seriously?! Boys clothes are bigger in the chest by 2 sizes! That is ridiculously stupid.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

:( What about a cute Old Navy -type skirt with leggings and ballet flats? I know you don't have money right now, but these might be young looking enough for her when you can manage. H & M has some very fluffy-youthful things (where my teen son's gf shops)...but can be spendy, although not as bad as some other stores. I'm sorry. Poor little bunny...she wants to be a little girl. I so get that. My dd is a little older, but she won't be leaving childhood without a lot of kicking and screaming. Little girl clothing is part of that.

I found this litte skirt & blouse at the Old Navy website. It comes in larger girl sizies. It might fit the little girl frilly crieria.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6066&vid=1&pid=819092&scid=819092002

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=61163&vid=1&pid=836253&scid=836253012

Edited by LibraryLover

We are right there with you! I did find a larger dress for DD9 at Burlington this year, but only because this dress runs big. Otherwise, she couldn't wear them. And she's not even chubby - just getting taller and rounder.

I have found some cute, cute skirts for her in the teen(!) section at the thrift store and we pair those with leggings and blouses or sweaters. With Easter this week, our local thrift store has some really cute outfits out on the racks and I don't feel bad if she can only wear it 1-2 times if I am paying $2 for the skirt.

Can you sew? What about resale shops?

This is why dd is sewing her own dress for Easter (and a 4H project.) Her problem is that she is too thin for dresses out there - if they fit in the body, they are about 3 inches too short. Plus, she HATES the styles out there right now. The only dress she liked in the store was $100 and I am not paying that for an Easter dress!! We may have a few late nights this week.

:grouphug: I know what you mean. My 11 yo dd wears a woman's 14 in pants and L in shirts. She has to shop in the adult clothes, not even the juniors. It is certainly challenging to find clothes that don't make her look older than she already does! She's nearly as tall as I am and wears a women's 10 in shoes. :svengo: Thankfully, she's no longer interested in the girly-girl stuff. We've been able to find some nice things at Kohl's that let her still look nice, but not so much like an adult.

My mom has sewn a lot of dresses for my girls over the years for just this issue. The younger one is not as difficult; she keeps growing but at a slower rate than the older one. However, my mom made lovely Easter and Christmas dresses for them so they could still wear the kind of dresses I remember wearing (:)) because my oldest outgrew the little girl Easter dresses at such a young age.

For shoes, have you checked out Land's End? Their children's shoe size 7 is equivalent to a women's 9, and they usually have lots of cute things (I didn't check this season, so I don't know what they have specifically).

Have you checked out Hanna Anderson for clothes? Their size 160 might still work for your dd, and they are running a sale right now - although they will run a better sale in a couple months.

HTH!

J

We just transitioned DD into juniors/womens. It is indeed hugely difficult! But she is tall (5'4") and we couldn't find any dresses long enough for her. Honestly I have found the most things at the thrift stores, since juniors especially run really short (which is the style right now). Also Kohls.

Once I figured out what size womens she was (6 or Medium), I just gave up on the kids section. Things were so cute but nothing fit.

Just be prepared that you will have to try everything on. No more just picking off the rack. And that many of the things you try on won't fit. Think skirts and tops more than dresses. Also, although I am not a sewing person, I have learned to take things in a little at the top or around the back, just by hand. Womens stuff might fit but might not be the right "shape". A tuck here or there can make it fit nicely.

:grouphug:

I have this same issue with my daughter. I found that Old Navy has some cute things in XS and S womens that would work for a little girl. Also Ebay and Etsy is great cause they can make the little girl cute things bigger for you usually if you ask them. Fashion bug also carries Misses sizing and they have some really cute things that the younger crowd can wear, same with JC Penney.

It is doable but you have to find things from multiple places. But I am there also with my 9 year old. I miss the days of full skirts and big bows in the back. :(

I have vague memories of this (dd is 17 now). There was a winter where the only thing we could find was warm up suits.... Another where we got the largest size jeans and I literally broke the sewing machine trying to cut off several inches of the length. We got a lot of elastic waist women's skirts with cute t-shirts/hoodies over them. Drawstring pants/shorts. Less fitted shirts. She did very well with looking stylish on a budget. We don't have a lot of shopping, so I'm sure Target, Old Navy and Gap Outlet was where we got a lot of her things (and Goodys, but they closed). She did grow and thinned out. Both of my kids did this (ds and dd), got a little wider before they got taller. Both are thin now.

If your daughter is looking for a dressy Easter outfit, you might try taking her to a Goodwill, Salvation Army or other thrift store and have her try on some of the formals that are really cheap - we see them all of the time for $5.00 each. Look for an empire waist with spaghetti straps. You can shorten it and if the fabric is not tooooo spangly, she can wear it over a pretty white tee as though it was a sundress. Family Dollar and Dollar General (if you have them in your area) used to carry women's flats...really cheap, maybe $2.00 or $2.50 but they had pretty, glittery/spangled flowers on the toes. They came in women's sizes small 6-7, medium 8-9, and large 10-11. I have several pairs and everyone at church thinks they are adorable with my skirts. I know you said your $$$ are tight, but maybe having to spend less than $10.00 is something you could skim out of the grocery budget or something.

We've got a pretty pink formal somewhere around here that is high neck and spaghetti strapped with a lace up back. The back is a little low (dd never wore it - it was given to her) and could be worn over a cute shirt or with a shrug/ruffly cardigan. It is a sparkly fabric. If you PM me your daughter's waist and bust measurements, I'll see if it will fit your dd. I'd be happy to send it priority mail to you if you're in the states. I doubt that I could get it to you in time to shorten before Easter if you are in Canada or off continent. I'd say the dress is a juniors 4-6.

Faith

Guest Katia

Have you tried Ebay? I used to buy my girls the cutest dresses from there and they were sized very much the same as your dd.

I would search for Bonnie Jean (the name of a brand) and size 16 1/2.....and they also come in 18 1/2 and also in 20 1/2. These are dresses styled and sized for little girls and they are adorable....well.....they were when I bought them several years ago. Surely they still have cute things.

Here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Girls-BONNIE-JEAN-Pink-Green-Dot-Dress-Sz-18-1-2-PLUS-/130436320603?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item1e5e9c4d5b

This one is a 16 1/2, the measurements are listed. I think it's cute!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BONNIE-JEAN-Girls-Sz-16-1-2-Lg-Summer-Dress-Peach-NWOT-/230610756406?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item35b178e336

This one is gingham!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BONNIE-JEAN-B-W-GINGHAM-EASTER-DRESS-16-1-2-16-5-NWT-/170628201366?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item27ba3bbb96

Ok, ok. I'll stop, LOL. I love looking at these dresses!

There is a whole page of selections. Check them out!

Edited by Katia

This is the 9 year old. This sums up the problem we are having:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070423104000AAv1QVO

She wears a size 16 in jeans, her size 16 dresses are too tight in the chest. Her shoes are a women's 6-6 1/2. Which really stinks because she loves the size 3 little girl shoes she wore last year. There is nothing cute for her to wear. Fluffy little girl dresses won't fit in any size. :( But that is what I bought her to wear to our religious meetings this spring, because it is what she prefers, and they fit her back when I bought them.

She can wear a size 12 in boys. Seriously?! Boys clothes are bigger in the chest by 2 sizes! That is ridiculously stupid.

Does your Dh have any shirts that you can quickly alter? Or, rather, can you sew a few straight seams and have a sewing machine?

For shoes, have you checked out Land's End? Their children's shoe size 7 is equivalent to a women's 9, and they usually have lots of cute things (I didn't check this season, so I don't know what they have specifically).

Have you checked out Hanna Anderson for clothes? Their size 160 might still work for your dd, and they are running a sale right now - although they will run a better sale in a couple months.

HTH!

J

:iagree: